PDA

View Full Version : Shooting off 395 on East Side?

DRH
09-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Does anyone know of any easy access spots off the 395 to shoot below Bishop. I am going fishing and would like to stop off on the way and sling lead.
I am particularly looking for a RV friendly spot where bumpfiring and steel core will not be an issue. TIA!

jmlivingston
09-27-2007, 3:53 PM
Between Independence and Big Pine is a turn-off for Aberdeen which is a little RV park on the west side of the highway. About a mile? north of that turnoff is a small road that goes off to the east and there's a bridge which will actually take you across to the east side of the Owens River. Might try that area. Beware that it's all DWP land and they don't allow overnight camping, not sure if they allow shooting or not.

There's also a place east of Bishop where the FS sends shooters when they ask at the local district office. I think it's Line Street and it takes you all the way to the base of the white mountains where there's a nice little shooting area. No problem getting an RV there but again it's not a place for camping. (I'm assuming that's what you want the RV access for.)

John

stevie
09-27-2007, 3:59 PM
I was told my one of the local fishing stores, just follow line street east. There are places out there..

Cobrarlc
09-27-2007, 4:12 PM
If you go thru the town of Bishop towards Mammoth the city also has an outdoor shooting range.

DRH
09-27-2007, 4:14 PM
I did not necessarily need to camp at the shooting spot but will be traveling in the RV. My friend just told me of a secret spot near little lakes on BLM land to try out. If that does not work out I will check out the Line street area. With assault weapons the BLM and USFS land is safe but DWP and other private properties could spell trouble without the owners expressed permission. Thanks for the info!

DRH
09-27-2007, 4:16 PM
If you go thru the town of Bishop towards Mammoth the city also has an outdoor shooting range.

I saw that listed in a directory of ranges and it was listed as private. I would assume that means you have to be a member and know the secret handshake.

Racer5
11-18-2008, 4:40 PM

I saw a small range just north of town this past weekend, looked like several stations covered by a decent roof. But very close to the highway. It was good to see the local sporting goods shops doing so well, and staying so well stocked with firearms and ammunition.

randy
11-19-2008, 2:17 AM
Steel core is a problem anywhere, unless it's wet out.

PeteRR
01-24-2009, 4:44 PM
Take the turn off at Ridgecrest and turn right on the first dirt road on the right. It leads into a BLM canyon the locals use for target shooting.