PDA

View Full Version : CA DOJ say s30-90 wait on Handgun approvals?

BrokerB
02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Really strange- Friend si byuying his first pistol. HE got past his 10 day wait an dgot a note from DOJ saying they have not completed hsi check yet. He calls DOJ an dthey say 30-90 day wait becuase they are so busy. Friend says thats rediculous and doj guy hangs up.

Is this true..and I cant imagine its legal. I would expect to see thsi issue already raised in here?

Sam
02-13-2013, 11:07 AM
I personally have no idea but I've purchased two pistols in the last two months without any sort of problem.

tleeocinca
02-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Same here, I waited my 10 days and picked up with no delay

BrokerB
02-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Really strange- Friend si byuying his first pistol. HE got past his 10 day wait an dgot a note from DOJ saying they have not completed hsi check yet. He calls DOJ an dthey say 30-90 day wait becuase they are so busy. Friend says thats rediculous and doj guy hangs up.

Is this true..and I cant imagine its legal. I would expect to see thsi issue already raised in here?

paul0660
02-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I would expect to see thsi issue already raised in here?

Yes, considering it takes about 10 minutes to do the check.

stix213
02-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Sounds like your friend isn't telling you the whole story. They did mine in 10 days during the height of the scare.

Merc1138
02-13-2013, 11:18 AM
He got a note, like the DOJ put a post-it on his door?

alfred1222
02-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Contact CGF

JTC3495
02-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Just picked up a pistol yesterday after the 10 day wait, no issues or delays.

SB1964
02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
I wouldn't believe it. DOJ does do random delays tho!

PolishMike
02-13-2013, 12:07 PM
I wouldn't believe it. DOJ does do random delays tho!

They do not do random delays. They delay in cases where paperwork (from prior cases or convictions) is missing or incomplete. I'm not defending the practice but it is not random

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

stilly
02-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Wow. That sucks, I hate how our friends are always getting into trouble and then not telling us the entire story...

They should film it and put it on you-tube so everyone can bash the cops for it...:facepalm:

Aldemar
02-13-2013, 12:23 PM
It's my understanding that if the FFL does not receive any communication from the DOJ within the 10 day wait, the transaction is deemed approved. Also, I can't imagine why the DOJ would contact the buyer directly. Perhaps an FFL holder can clarify this.

Is it possible your friend is not telling you the real story?

zurppin
02-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Your friend was probably put on delay because of something from his past or because someone with the same name has some issues. It happens all the time.

appagohm
02-13-2013, 1:30 PM
first time hearing this, i would be pisssssssed

Vacaville
02-13-2013, 1:31 PM
Maybe he's got 3 DUIs. :hide:

prometa
02-13-2013, 3:30 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=656150

SB1964
02-13-2013, 3:34 PM
They do not do random delays. They delay in cases where paperwork (from prior cases or convictions) is missing or incomplete. I'm not defending the practice but it is not random

I've seen it happen to personal friends! Including recently. I'm not here to argue, It does happen now & then. My buddy had a 3 day delay with "complete" paperwork, for no good reason.

Darklyte27
02-13-2013, 3:41 PM
My neighbor too its now a 30 day wait or so for his handgun. A coworker is picking up his shotgun though after 10 days today well see if he gets his

PolishMike
02-13-2013, 5:24 PM
It's my understanding that if the FFL does not receive any communication from the DOJ within the 10 day wait, the transaction is deemed approved. Also, I can't imagine why the DOJ would contact the buyer directly. Perhaps an FFL holder can clarify this.

I've dros'd thousands of guns. The only delays are people that have something in their files.

You're friend is not telling you the whole story.

SVT-40
02-13-2013, 5:24 PM

This is true. DOJ does not themselves contact any buyer regarding a delay or denial. They call the gun shop and, send the shop a letter notifying them of the delay or denial. The gun shop calls the "buyer" and gives them the number at DOJ to call to find out, and possibly rectify the issue. DOJ does not tell the shop the reason for the delay or denial.

I call BS on the original story.

If a shop hears no info from DOJ (which occurs 99.9% of the time) the firearm is released after the 10 day wait.

Occasionally very occasional, and I mean very rarely DOJ will call after the firearm has been released.... I only know of one instance of that occurring in the past ten years at the shop I worked for.

BrokerB
02-19-2013, 1:50 PM
update..

the ca doj letter was sent to ffl. they gave buyer a copy. It said either th egun stolen or he had soem background stuff they were still working through. I highly doubt stolen gun as it was on display at gun shop. The FFL woudl run the numbers before putting up for sal eright?

Buyer had 2 duis 25 years ago. He is has been an upstanding citizens since then and works at a place that requires a livescan and has been working there for over a decade. Maybe another name same as his..or?

I have not talked to hm since last week- I told him to double check FFL that gun serial numbers are nto the issue..I dont knwo but asking woudl at least take that possiblity away. Teh next I tol dhim to search here to see if an answer can be found to speed up hi sapproval..or at least get a copy of what issue is preventing him. He has a xd45 on hold..looks dam nice

george tirebiter
02-19-2013, 2:18 PM
Dyslexia maybe?

Oceanbob
02-19-2013, 2:24 PM
Arrrrg.....!...my EYES..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shooting4life
02-19-2013, 2:26 PM
I heard from a friend of mine who's brother in-laws cousins roomate who knows a guy at a gunshop who has a phone number to someone at the CADOJ that if you average more 10 posts per day in calguns OT your dros gets held up between 17 and 43 days if you purchase a pistol with a frame made of more than 72.4% plastic.

SSOUNN
02-19-2013, 2:30 PM
I'm picking up mines in half an hour.. Hope there's no delay =\

SVT-40
02-19-2013, 2:40 PM
More dubious info... If the handgun was really stolen DOJ would have called the shop and the shop would have called their local PD to come pick it up......

Sounds like the purchaser has some skeletons in his closet.

PolishMike
02-19-2013, 3:48 PM
Whoever this is - he is either straight lying to you or making **** up. The letter looks like this:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-wVbA2Qhhy9w/USQPPpTQzkI/AAAAAAAABRI/3m97iknGjFU/s720/Delay1.jpg
No stolen or anything like that. This is not the process for a stolen gun anyway. He has something unfinished in the court system. That is it.

JDay
02-19-2013, 4:05 PM
Tell him to report it to the Calguns Foundation at the link below. They are working on this.

http://calgunsfoundation.org/doj

He has something unfinished in the court system. That is it.

That is not always the case. If you look in the DROS Delay sticky thread in the 2nd Amendment forum you'll see that some people are buying with no issues then having another purchase delayed. One guy was even delayed on one and had no issues with a purchase he started a few days later. Someone is playing games at the DOJ.

BrokerB
02-19-2013, 8:22 PM
This guy is not bullshttng me..why would he? Hes a grown man who pays hefty taxes and has nothing to prove to anyone. He has never purchased a handgun and only had his fathers hand me downs until now.

He plunked down $500+ for a pistol. The letter is the exact same one as above..It does mention maybe reported stolen in the letter thats the only reason I brought it up. I find that very hard to believe as this gun shop has been around for decades and would not fall easily for a stolen gun. SO that leads to it must be something about duis 25 years ago? strange. If he knew he had legal issues why would he attempt to buy a gun legally- some of you need common sense.

Why do they even mention the stolen gun thing in the letter then?

Prometa- thanks for the link , I just saw it-I will pass it on. As the one DOJ guy who buyer spoke to said exact same thing..30-90 days .."we are overwhelmed with work ..then hung up "

Sorry about the last typing ..the mobile typing is tough with such big hands

SVT-40
02-19-2013, 8:50 PM
Did you actually see the letter, and read it yourself?

Gun shops don't run or check guns to see if they are stolen... That check only occurs on handgun DROS'es.

JDay
02-19-2013, 10:01 PM
This guy is not bullshttng me..why would he? Hes a grown man who pays hefty taxes and has nothing to prove to anyone. He has never purchased a handgun and only had his fathers hand me downs until now.

He plunked down $500+ for a pistol. The letter is the exact same one as above..It does mention maybe reported stolen in the letter thats the only reason I brought it up. I find that very hard to believe as this gun shop has been around for decades and would not fall easily for a stolen gun. SO that leads to it must be something about duis 25 years ago? strange. If he knew he had legal issues why would he attempt to buy a gun legally- some of you need common sense.

Why do they even mention the stolen gun thing in the letter then?

Prometa- thanks for the link , I just saw it-I will pass it on. As the one DOJ guy who buyer spoke to said exact same thing..30-90 days .."we are overwhelmed with work ..then hung up "

Sorry about the last typing ..the mobile typing is tough with such big hands

Did you actually see the letter, and read it yourself?

Gun shops don't run or check guns to see if they are stolen... That check only occurs on handgun DROS'es.

DOJ sends the same generic letter out for all delays.

What has been going on is DOJ is delaying people who ARE NOT PROHIBITED when they find out about an arrest in the past that their records are not up-to-date on. Yes, they are denying us our rights and claiming that they have to get all their records updated in their new electronic database as their justification. Before the panic buying started this rarely resulted in a delay past the 10 days, but now when someone gets delayed they're putting that file off the the side and handling the easy ones first.

EDIT: And good luck getting through to the DOJ BOF Delay and Denial hotline, it's been giving a busy signal during business hours since last week. Before that if you did manage to get someone on the line they'd just tell you that they cannot tell you anything and to wait a month before calling back.

BrokerB
02-19-2013, 10:46 PM
yes i have read the letter .same one as above .

thats is incredible that a ffl will buy a gun and not check first to see if its stolen ?

thanks jday ..this seems right

mabilis_matulis
02-19-2013, 10:57 PM
Might be hiding something..:no:

BrokerB
02-20-2013, 7:27 AM
too much tinfoil wrapped around so many heads . should nt you be counting fema coffins ? not everyone is a criminal . in fact suprise suprise vast majority are law abiding . Do you have a ccw ? i do you...if you dont you must be a criminal right ? my friend got this letter not because hes hiding something - hes pissed he got denied and isn't getting a reason for it other then .. we are really busy at can doj ".i have him following up with cgf . he will then see what value they are and donate .

JDay
02-20-2013, 10:14 AM
too much tinfoil wrapped around so many heads . should nt you be counting fema coffins ? not everyone is a criminal . in fact suprise suprise vast majority are law abiding . Do you have a ccw ? i do you...if you dont you must be a criminal right ? my friend got this letter not because hes hiding something - hes pissed he got denied and isn't getting a reason for it other then .. we are really busy at can doj ".i have him following up with cgf . he will then see what value they are and donate .

A delay is not the same as a denial.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

john67elco
02-20-2013, 2:43 PM
After 10 day wait, DHS home inspection, DOJ inspection, and an enigma I got mine no probs.

kantstudien
02-20-2013, 5:39 PM
I'm more shocked he actually was able to get through to DOJ.

BrokerB
02-22-2013, 3:07 PM
He got through to DOJ again.. he was shocked becuase hes been dialing daily.

Lady said.. 28,000 delays have been issued. They have 400,000 request since or in December. They are only into January of clearing the delayed buyers. She said that any sort of ? that came up in background search was immediately thrown in "delay letter pile" so they could keep moving forward

nice..: (

socal22fan
03-08-2013, 1:37 PM
First purchase Ive made in 20 years since CA laws became so restrictive but waited 10 days went to Big 5 to pick up 22 rifle. Received DROS delay letter with numbers to call. Three days later the phone number is consistently busy. Called the DOJ main info line and the gentleman there said "they are no longer taking calls at that number" (916 227 3752) he didnt say why, and he did not ask my name so was non specific to my delay. He also said that the wait could be up to 90 days. He didnt say why. So either they are totally swamped with clearances? or they are deliberately stalling purchases. Kinda makes you wonder. I figure to wait a month and see what happens, otherwise will go get a refund.

JDay
03-08-2013, 8:35 PM
First purchase Ive made in 20 years since CA laws became so restrictive but waited 10 days went to Big 5 to pick up 22 rifle. Received DROS delay letter with numbers to call. Three days later the phone number is consistently busy. Called the DOJ main info line and the gentleman there said "they are no longer taking calls at that number" (916 227 3752) he didnt say why, and he did not ask my name so was non specific to my delay. He also said that the wait could be up to 90 days. He didnt say why. So either they are totally swamped with clearances? or they are deliberately stalling purchases. Kinda makes you wonder. I figure to wait a month and see what happens, otherwise will go get a refund.

See the stickied thread in the 2nd Amendment forum.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Reelemup
03-08-2013, 8:58 PM
Dyslexia maybe?

You can read words with the same letters in it regardless the order