PDA

View Full Version : I am just getting to excited.

Prc329
09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I got my AICS last night and the thing feels great. I can not wait till Saturday morning to pic up my "donor" gun. It is a factory barrel but I am fine with that since it will be a while before I can get a barrel to put om it. Most of the ones I want have about a 2 month wait.

I got my mags ordered. Sniper Country PX seems to be the only ones that have any in stock. Triad shipped out my bolt knob and recoil lug so if that gets here I can get it all done Sunday hopefully. I wish I didn't have to work Saturday night and Sunday night because I won't be able to shoot her this weekend.

I plan on using my current IOR on my Savage and replacing the savage glass with a nikon. I also will have the savage cut down to 20" and it will become my backup/friend/wife gun. That way no one has to touch my baby.

I do need some advice though. 22 or 24"? I plan on having the factory barrel cut and threaded for an FTE brake. I am just not sure what length would be better. I do know I do not want 26". Also I am planning to Gunkote the action and barrel but have no idea how I would bake it. I figure I could probably bake it twice in my BBQ since it will probably not fit in my oven. I want to do that because I keep hearing the blueing doesn't work very well.

Cazach
09-26-2007, 1:50 PM
Who are you using to cut down your Savage? Randall? I have been thinking about the same thing and looking for a local smith.

Prc329
09-26-2007, 3:16 PM
Yeah. I was so pleased with the way it originally came out and my 223 that he will get as much of my work as he knows how to do :)

Mute
09-26-2007, 3:37 PM
I'm pretty happy with my 22" barrel. The velocity difference between 22" and 24" is almost insignificant. Try to get a feel for whether you prefer the balance of the longer or shorter rifle and go from there. Keep in mind the extra length with the brake installed.

Prc329
09-26-2007, 3:49 PM
I ment to put this is the precision forum :)

22 sounds good actually. I like the feel of my 20 but want longer.

PistolPete75
09-26-2007, 3:55 PM
i say do an overall length of 24inches which includes your brake. i believe it comes out to 22.25inches plus the brake.

Prc329
09-26-2007, 4:24 PM
That does sound like a good idea. Gotta measure the brake.

Prc329
09-27-2007, 7:45 PM
I may have to do 22.5. The area that would be in front of the barrel is about 1.5in. I have a YHM flash hider/comp I will put on the savage after it is cut down.