PDA

View Full Version : whats your experience with mosin 91/30 triggers

badbascom
02-12-2013, 8:40 AM
I'm wondering because the one I just got seems really nice . The seller said he got it from turners a while ago . It's not gritty or notchy and I just checked the pull and it measures 6 lbs . The po said he didn't do anything to the rifel but get a bent bolt and check the headspace with a gng .

kouye
02-12-2013, 9:06 AM
91/30 triggers run the whole gammut from smooth to gritty. Most issues can be resolved with a little polishing of a few select places.

Sounds like you got a good one out of the box.

badbascom
02-12-2013, 9:13 AM
Yup . I plan on making sure it sights good before i fiddle with any trigger parts

Chaos47
02-12-2013, 9:18 AM
Theres always the Finnish Sear too
https://www.crsurplusspring.com/FinnSear.html

badbascom
02-12-2013, 9:27 AM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/garthxs/3958d1359214787-sct-tune-unleashed-tuning-shut-up-take-my-money-9299-2560x1600.jpg

CEDaytonaRydr
02-12-2013, 3:23 PM
It really is a "mixed bag". Some are good, some are atrocious...

The Huber Concepts triggers are very nice, if you've got one that is bad but there are a lot of tricks that you can use to take up "creep" and reduce trigger pull, without spending the $85 on a Huber Concepts trigger. ;)

sakosf
02-12-2013, 4:07 PM
It really is a "mixed bag". Some are good, some are atrocious...

The Huber Concepts triggers are very nice, if you've got one that is bad but there are a lot of tricks that you can use to take up "creep" and reduce trigger pull, without spending the $85 on a Huber Concepts trigger. ;)

sometimes replacing the bolt cocking piece makes a difference

Capybara
02-12-2013, 5:23 PM
my 91/30 trigger is horrible, tons of takeup, gritty and "sectional". OTOH, my Hungarian '53 M44 trigger is amazingly smooth, almost no takeup and breaks at 3lbs. It used to have a hair trigger so I ordered a new trigger mechanism from Liberty Tree, took care of the hair trigger, but even with the new trigger mechanism, the release is still really light for a milsurp.

Mosin triggers just run the gamut.

backstrap
02-12-2013, 5:51 PM
Is there a triangle 1 stamp on it? All of my DDR rifles have better triggers than my Finn'd mosins. They were selected for craftsmanship and worked over.

Agustav
02-12-2013, 6:04 PM
Russian MN triggers like others have mentioned go from good (My PU sniper) to bad ('43 91/30).

Chinese and Finn have pretty uniform and good triggers based on my experience.

badbascom
02-12-2013, 6:29 PM
I will have to check the numbers . The po said this was a non matching gun maybe someone cleaned it up when putting it together . I will post a pic of the markings later

badbascom
02-12-2013, 10:54 PM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc121/garthxs/IMAG0397.jpg

6mmintl
02-13-2013, 5:02 AM
Moison/Finn Trigger Mods

If you have the two pin Finnish trigger your way ahead of the game.

Basic problems with light triggers is weak fatigued sear/springs, second is worn or reworked/bubba cocking pieces.

But your typical Moison trigger is heavy and you rarely know when it will go off.

Things to check:

• Are all sear engagement surfaces for flatness and no gouges or rounded edges.
• Check looseness of firing pin in bolt body (does the cocking piece move up and down with the pulling of the trigger?), if it does before or after replacing any parts you may need to tighten up the fit/reduce the clearance of the forward tang against the bolt body (a 1/16 ball of weld and then careful filing/polishing of the weld ball till there is .002 clearance between cocking piece and bolt body.

• Third is there excessive side play (side to side movement of the trigger)in the trigger/receiver caused by worn/undersize trigger pin, worn/oversize receiver trigger pin holes?

The Fix:

The best way to start and the first thing to do is go with the largest diameter pin that will fit into the trigger (try different size drills till you have a .001 slip fit) Cut the drill shank off the width of the receiver ears and reassemble. Check to see if the pull has increased of is at least consistent. I usually drill the trigger pin hole (.165” Dia. Drill) and the receiver trigger pin holes to get the best fit of the oversize trigger pin/drill. You may have to enlarge the trigger slot in the bottom metal/magazine if the trigger now rubs bottom metal, use a file and or polishing stones to smooth/open up trigger slot. I have/can mill the trigger slot wider to give more clearance to the trigger during movement.

Sear/spring, check to see if all surfaces are square smooth and not rounded, look at wear pattern on sear and carefully stone smooth, I also lighten/thin the trigger spring on the top (screw head) side by grinding about .012 off width and also polish the surface where the two trigger pins rub/wear.

Assemble parts; apply lubricant (moly disulfide) on all wear surfaces, make sure you tighten sear/sear spring screw while the sear spring is centered inside the recess/cutout in the receiver and not rubbing against the side.

Check to see if operation is smoother and trigger breaks cleanly, if you cannot or do not know how to do this minor rework buy a few new sear/springs and reinstall and test/try pull to see if it is better/lighter/more consistent than the original parts.

This is what you have to do if you want a nice crisp 2 3/4 to 3 lb single/two stage trigger pull.

I know it is modifying the rifle but if you’re a SERIOUS MILSURP shooter/competitor this is the way to go, if your a collector swap out parts till you heart is content.