PDA

View Full Version : Mg42

Archenemy550
09-25-2007, 8:17 PM
hey, I was wondering if there is a good site or place that sells MG42/MG42 parts. I want to try and build one CA Legal.

Josh3239
09-25-2007, 9:31 PM
You can pick up a parts kit from Gun Broker or Yugo M53 I think its called are around . You could reweld the receiver or get one from here: http://www.philaord.com/products/mg42.html

I'd imagine you also have to comply with 922(r).

Good Luck

Addax
09-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Pistol grip issue?

The MG42 has a seperate stock and Pistol grip.

wilit
09-25-2007, 10:21 PM
I think you're going to have an issue with ammo belts too. If I recall, those metal belts/links aren't disintegrating and only come in 50 round lengths. You'd have to have someone out of state cut up some belts for you, unless you owned some prior to the 2000 ban.

FEDUPWBS
09-26-2007, 1:18 AM
Pm sent I have an extra complete kit incl. reciever.

bwiese
09-26-2007, 1:43 AM
I dunno much about MG42s, and it may not apply, but in addition to usual CA AW concerns please ensure the firearm is not capable of firing from an open bolt.

One Calgunner had a rotten last half year due to these and related "80%" matters, and came out by skin of his teeth in large part, I think, due to his trying to scrupulously follow CA AW laws.

FEDUPWBS
09-26-2007, 11:33 AM
Bill, once converted to SA operation the bolt in no way can be interchanged w/ a FA bolt or reciever. The MG42 uses the roller locking bolt like a G3. But it fires closed bolt in Semi only.

M. Sage
09-26-2007, 5:42 PM
Would the pistol grip be an issue, or is this like the M1919A6 where, despite having a stock, it was obviously not intended for firing from the shoulder?

wilit
09-26-2007, 6:25 PM
Would the pistol grip be an issue, or is this like the M1919A6 where, despite having a stock, it was obviously not intended for firing from the shoulder?

The 1919A6 is different because the pistol grip is behind the action of the firearm, not below it like an MG42 (and 99% of most pistol-gripped firearms out there). Because the 1919A6 (and A4 for that matter) have the web of the hand behind the action and not below it (as per definition of a pistol grip) it's not an AW. The A4 is further from the definition of an AW because like you said, it was never meant to be a shoulder fired weapon, but the MG42 and A6 are (though I don't know if many could do so without a mount).

Also, Bill, without going into great detail, could you at least fill us in on what type of 80% firearm the fellow calgunner got busted for? I keep seeing you mention it, but never a mention of what type of 80% it was.

Addax
09-26-2007, 6:40 PM
There may be one way around this.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r144/k43qve/mg42color1.jpg

There is the Mg34/42 tripod set up with the tripod trigger mechanism behind and below the action..

Not sure if this configuration is 100% legal or ok, but maybe?

The 1919A6 is different because the pistol grip is behind the action of the firearm, not below it like an MG42 (and 99% of most pistol-gripped firearms out there). Because the 1919A6 (and A4 for that matter) have the web of the hand behind the action and not below it (as per definition of a pistol grip) it's not an AW. The A4 is further from the definition of an AW because like you said, it was never meant to be a shoulder fired weapon, but the MG42 and A6 are (though I don't know if many could do so without a mount).

Also, Bill, without going into great detail, could you at least fill us in on what type of 80% firearm the fellow calgunner got busted for? I keep seeing you mention it, but never a mention of what type of 80% it was.

M. Sage
09-26-2007, 8:20 PM
The A4 is further from the definition of an AW because like you said, it was never meant to be a shoulder fired weapon, but the MG42 and A6 are (though I don't know if many could do so without a mount).

I'm pretty sure that, sifting through old German manuals and training films, I could prove pretty decisively that the MG42 was never meant to be fired like a rifle. It was meant to be fired from a set position, on the bipod. If it had to be fired on the move, it was fired from the hip (ZOMFG, it was designed to fire from the hip, spraying indiscriminately [1000+ RPM.. aim it?] without reloading!!!), but I've never heard of it being used from the shoulder...

wilit
09-26-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that, sifting through old German manuals and training films, I could prove pretty decisively that the MG42 was never meant to be fired like a rifle. It was meant to be fired from a set position, on the bipod. If it had to be fired on the move, it was fired from the hip (ZOMFG, it was designed to fire from the hip, spraying indiscriminately [1000+ RPM.. aim it?] without reloading!!!), but I've never heard of it being used from the shoulder...

:D I don't know if I'd use what you just wrote as a defense for an MG42 not being a rifle. That's pretty much AM's description of an AW. A pistol-gripped firearm that can be fired indiscriminately from the hip without reloading. :D

NeoWeird
09-26-2007, 10:46 PM
I have been thinking about it, and I had a pretty cool idea about the MG42. As someone posted the links do NOT disintegrate like other linked ammo. If you haven't seen the links they are like normal ammo links, but instead of a curved tail on the side to link to the next round they are ringed together like chain mail with several (I think it's 5) rings crimped on the edges to link each piece. So here's my idea:

What if you had a link modified to 10 rounds or less, then fed the belt into the gun and then had the tail end crimped back together with the head end. You would in essence have a magazine that could not be removed, even after it was emptied. It would be a fixed 10 round magazine rifle. You could then have all the evil features you wanted, including the pistol grip and the vital recoil booster which could be argued is a flash suppressor. You might also be able to devise a locking top latch that would require a tool to open the top latch. The top latch could then be opened and a hoop of ammo could be placed onto the latch, placed in position, and then the latch closed. Once the ammo is expended a tool would then be required to open the latch and remove the magazine. Either way it could be an option.

and FYI the MG42 fired more around 1200-1400 RPM and I've heard that it terrorified our troops because the rate of fire was so fast it sounded like ripping canvas.

Addax
09-26-2007, 11:20 PM
There is a WW2 training film that they show on one of the shows (I think it is the History Channel) that showcases German WW2 firearms.

The sound from the MG42 is like RRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPvvv everytime they shoot a short burst....

Hell, I would be terrifed too, 8mm steel rounds raining down and that sound....

Hell of a MG, and some of its design was used for our M60 series of MG's...

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-27-2007, 11:59 AM
Although a cool concept, modifying a real MG-42 to make it CA legal kind of seems bad. Maybe if it was done to a new copy.

maurice05
09-27-2007, 1:39 PM
any one have an idea of what one of these would cost to build i kinda like the look of them

AJAX22
09-27-2007, 5:19 PM
I've got a couple of MG42 belts packed away somewhere, they are a neat construction and would be really easy to trim down to 10 rounds, Neo's idea of a looped belt would probably work really well, IIRC the linking 'chainmail rings' are actually one continuous metal spiral with the ends bent inwards so you'd just have to twist it out then twist it back in with a pair of needle nose pliars (I think) You might want to add a length of flat metal to the loop to act as a feeding tab so that you can load all 10 rounds at once when the rifle is empty instead of having empty links inside the action of the gun.

I've never looked at an MG42.. but I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to pin the top cover in place

Q
09-27-2007, 6:21 PM
A while back, I remember reading about ca legal mg34. I think the company is also going to make a mg42 ca legal version.

I think this would be the best way to get one instead of building your own. Or have them build it for you.

read this page. and check out the photos.:)
http://www.tnwfirearms.com/faq.shtml

bigthaiboy
09-28-2007, 3:16 AM
AIM has some MG42 links. Now all you need to do is figure out which out-of-state friend that you could get AIM to ship to, have them cut the links into 10's, then send them to you :http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/New_Accessories.html

wilit
09-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Weaponeer has MG34 SA receivers if anyone is interested.

http://www.weaponeer.net/GH_ShowArticle.asp?HID=174&CATID=1|2|3|4|5

M. Sage
09-30-2007, 10:46 AM
:D I don't know if I'd use what you just wrote as a defense for an MG42 not being a rifle. That's pretty much AM's description of an AW. A pistol-gripped firearm that can be fired indiscriminately from the hip without reloading. :D

Glad you enjoyed it. :D It really is pretty much that. From what I've seen, if an MG42 gunner had to fire when he was standing, he's fire from the hip, holding onto the bipod with his left hand.

However much it matches AM's description of how an AW is supposedly used, though, it doesn't match the State's or Fed's description of how a rifle is designed to be fired. :D