PDA

View Full Version : Spenceville????

RDG
09-25-2007, 5:53 PM
I haven't been to Spenceville in quite a while and I was thinking about changing that. Is it still open? Last I heard there was a big to do about only paper targets and such. What's been going on there lately?
Bob

robairto
09-25-2007, 6:05 PM
Good question. Oroville is good as well but a bit further

ViPER395
09-26-2007, 12:30 PM
Someone explain what Spenceville is.

Can you shoot there? Is it a range, or just open area?

Isn't it a game refuge or can you hunt there?

Thanks.

scarry scarney
09-26-2007, 1:07 PM
Spenceville is an "open" range similiar to the range out at Oroville.

It is just East of Beale AFB on Waldo Road just off of Smartville Road

If you have access to Beale AFB, take the Grass Valley gate out towards Hammonton Smartville Road, and then turn right on Waldo. The range is less than a mile from the intersection.

If you do not have access to Beale, take Hammonton Smartville road to Smartville, and go south many miles until you get to Waldo.

If you do a goggle map on Beale, zoom in, go to Hybrid view, you can find the above roads.

You shoot into a hill side, and I think the max distance is 300 yards (might be wrong on distance). I haven't been out there in at least 5 years. I prefer Oroville.

eckerph
09-26-2007, 1:33 PM
It is still open, only paper target allowed but most people don't care and some get tickets. Its, dirty,Full of cowboys and I've gotten two flat tires out there but it is free and no deputy dog range hound. Its nice when nobody is their which is maybe 1 out of 10 trips.

scarry scarney
09-26-2007, 2:06 PM
Full of cowboys

Every time I went, they weren't the cowboy hat kind of cowboys that were out there. It was always one form of gang banger or another. That's why I dont go out there anymore.

RDG
09-26-2007, 4:53 PM
Where is the range by Oroville?
Bob

gotgunz
09-27-2007, 12:01 AM
The range in Oroville is on Larkin Rd. past the OHV recreation area... open sunrise to sunset... very muddy in winter and scorching hot in summer; otherwise nice.

It is self policed as far as cease fires and on the few occasions I have been there had its fair share of idiots......

Of course I did figure out the best way to get rid of the wannabe Rambos....

bump fired a full 30 rounder out of my Mini-14 and they packed up quick and left, LMAO!

There is another place local to shoot that is semi-private and allows OLL's as well as rapid fire and drawing from holsters etc. (provided you're safe of course).

p.m. me to discuss.

Wulf
09-27-2007, 6:21 AM
Spencville is the scarryiest range around. DO NOT go out there by yourself. Way to many dirt bags frequent that range, and its very important to have a buddy to watch your stuff while you travel down range to set targets and to keep the line safe while you're down there. There have been many reports of people starting to shoot while folks are still down range and more than a couple reports of guns disappearing off the bench while a shooter is downrange.

-hanko
09-29-2007, 9:06 AM
Spencville is the scarryiest range around. DO NOT go out there by yourself. Way to many dirt bags frequent that range, and its very important to have a buddy to watch your stuff while you travel down range to set targets and to keep the line safe while you're down there. There have been many reports of people starting to shoot while folks are still down range and more than a couple reports of guns disappearing off the bench while a shooter is downrange.
Spenceville is like Costco: go during the week or first thing weekends and you have the place to yourself. Go midday Sat or Sun and you'll understand you made a dumb choice;)

If you're by yourself, toss your gun in the trunk when you go down range.

A lot of leo's tend to frequent Spenceville, watch your evil features/removeable mags/etc.

-hanko

Turbinator
09-29-2007, 9:20 AM
A lot of leo's tend to frequent Spenceville, watch your evil features/removeable mags/etc.

I never saw any LEO's in the times I went there. Are they generally undercover??

I agree with the sentiments above. Weird people, goofy people, unsafe people show up there. I wouldn't suggest going back if you have an alternate spot.

Turby

ViPER395
09-30-2007, 6:48 AM
Think i'll stay away and keep making the drive to El Dorado Nat'l Forest to shoot. I won't get my rifle theived by a tweaking squirrel, or shot at by an undocumented blue jay while changing my targets up there.

RDG
10-01-2007, 10:54 AM
Used to be pretty nice in the middle of the week. Just some old guys (I'm one too) having a lot of fun shooting and being sociable. I never did like it on the weekends though. I may have to drive up and see what it looks like on a weekday just for the heck of it. Wish there were more places to shoot on the north side of Sacramento though.
Bob

arfan66
10-01-2007, 11:15 PM
The only LEO's I've ever encountered at Spenceville were my shooting buddies (CHP & Dept. of Corrections - fellow Reservists from Beale AFB) and a Ranger (It's Camp Far West). None of them cared about what 'configuration' your rifle was or if you had hi-cap magazines. The Ranger was more concerned about safety and abiding by the camp/range rules (i.e. paper targets/clays only, cleaning up your mess after you're done). I'd bring a friend just because (accidents happen, you never know when you might slip on bunch of empties :p) help is a long ways away and cell phones don't always work out there.

Jeff

45R
10-03-2007, 9:29 PM
If you value your life stay away from Spenceville.

586L-Frame
10-04-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the warnings guys.
I didn't even know the area I mountain bike
by myself was a open shooting range.

I always wondered why I didn't see any other
MTB riders out here.

Stormfeather
10-10-2007, 2:22 PM
Ive been out there a few times, mostly during the week and a couple of times on weekends. Never had a problem. Never lost anything either. I always open carry my sidearm while im there, and have only seen one guy get busted for not shooting paper/clay. Ranger wrote him up a ticket and he cleaned up his stuff and continued to shoot. Yes, you see "hood" types, but Ive learned to not stereotype everyone as well. Never seen drinking out there, but Im sure it happens, Im not a fool. All the time we've called cease fire, been just fine, weve always cleared the line before we start shooting again and never seen problems in that dept. Just my .02 cents

JWNathan
10-17-2007, 4:50 PM
Ya, everyone stay away from there, only us gangstas and Cowboys shoot out there! Actually I like it out there tho I grew up in Lincoln and goin to the falls out in Spenceville are an institution. Sure you see some crazy stuff out there but its a free range, what did you expcet?
-Jesse

thefinger
10-18-2007, 2:52 PM
Spenceville sucks. Its way further out than it seems on a map. The people that shoot there are irresponsible and sketchy. Last time I was there I got hassled by a Ranger and that pretty much ruined my day.

JUST GO TO COLFAX !!!!

Wulf
10-18-2007, 6:05 PM
Spenceville sucks. Its way further out than it seems on a map. The people that shoot there are irresponsible and sketchy. Last time I was there I got hassled by a Ranger and that pretty much ruined my day.

JUST GO TO COLFAX !!!!

Back up the f'ing train!

If you're sketchy, irresponsible, and Rangers like to hassle you. DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCIMSTANCES GO TO COLFAX!

subijitsu
10-20-2007, 9:06 PM
I grew up in Lincoln and I dont go to Spenceville anymore. It used to be really good though.

From what I hear, a cow at on an adjacent property got shot. That caused the patrolling I guess. They say "paper targets only" because it really got out of hand with washing machines, refrigerators, propane bottles, ect.

Its a shame that it is filled with criminals and unsafe shooters (on the weekends anyway) since some of my first shooting memories were out there. Now I live closer to Sac Valley Shooting Center so I go there for the safety and cleanliness.

JWNathan
10-23-2007, 4:49 PM
The cow incident happened a few years back, the range was closed for a few months after that one! I just miss the anual pumpkin shoot, now thats when you saw some artillery out there.
-Jesse