PDA

View Full Version : Hunt case on SB-23 postponed to March 10, 2008??

nhanson
09-25-2007, 2:50 PM
Did I mis-read the the court log?
Looks like a stipulation has been entered postponing the the trial to 3/10/2008.
Anyone have any better info?

Here is the link I'm looking at:

http://banweb.co.fresno.ca.us/plsql/ck_public_qry_doct.cp_dktrpt_docket_report?case_id =01CECG03182&begin_date=&end_date=

chris
09-25-2007, 4:59 PM
geez what does it take for this case to be heard?

elenius
09-25-2007, 5:27 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is this case about?

C.G.
09-25-2007, 5:32 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what is this case about?
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=63991&highlight=Hunt

Smokeybehr
09-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Did I mis-read the the court log?
Looks like a stipulation has been entered postponing the the trial to 3/10/2008.
Anyone have any better info?

http://banweb.co.fresno.ca.us/plsql/ck_public_qry_doct.cp_dktrpt_docket_report?case_id =01CECG03182&begin_date=&end_date=

That's what it looks like. Instead of the mandatory settlement conference on 10/22 and the trial on 11/5, it's going to be bumped all the way to next spring.

nhanson
03-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Looks like the Hunt case on SB-23 has been postponed again to May 2008.

Are they trying to wait until the SCOTUS rules on Heller?

Enjoy

Spaceghost
03-05-2008, 10:27 AM
The wheels of justice turn slow....

timmyb21
03-05-2008, 8:49 PM
I knew I liked Larry Hunt for a reason...

JALLEN
03-05-2008, 10:23 PM
I just re-read the letter sent out by Mr. Hunt after the case was filed. It's in the archives here. I get the feeling that Hunt's desire to have a judicial determination or interpretation of the AWB is the LAST thing anyone in the government wants, whether the end result is favorable or not so. That's why the case is being continued ad infinitum, until Hunt leaves office, either by retirement or the will of the people. The DOJ certainly doesn't want any resolution. The judge, whoever gets tagged with this pig's breakfast, doesn't want to have to come out and say what an idiotic, ambiguous, unintelligible, inconsistent bunch of blather the Legislature inflicted on we the people. After the passing of a decent interval, the case can be dismissed on some procedural grounds (the 5 year rule, maybe?) and the chance of an embarrassing result avoided.

Sometimes turning the wheels of justice even more slowly than usual helps everyone, kind of like when C. Arnholt Smith was convicted of bank fraud in San Diego. His lawyers appealed, of course, and it took forever to get the appeal perfected. All that preparation of the transcript, etc. took place at glacial speed. The court of appeal sat on it for months. Smith was into his 90's, had been an extremely prominent and wealthy citizen for decades, was staring at a significant jail sentence and nobody wanted to sent the old man to the stoney lonesome. So everything was done in slooooooow motion, playing the odds in the hopes that actuarial science would soon put Mr. Smith beyond the court's jurisdiction. Of course, Smith didn't have the decency to die, so eventually the sentence had to be carried out and he spent some time gardening at a half-way house, IIRC.

yellowfin
03-05-2008, 10:48 PM
The wheels of justice turn slow.... There is no interest in justice on the part of the opposition here.

ke6guj
03-05-2008, 10:54 PM
I just re-read the letter sent out by Mr. Hunt after the case was filed. It's in the archives here. I get the feeling that Hunt's desire to have a judicial determination or interpretation of the AWB is the LAST thing anyone in the government wants, whether the end result is favorable or not so. That's why the case is being continued ad infinitum, until Hunt leaves office, either by retirement or the will of the people. The DOJ certainly doesn't want any resolution. The judge, whoever gets tagged with this pig's breakfast, doesn't want to have to come out and say what an idiotic, ambiguous, unintelligible, inconsistent bunch of blather the Legislature inflicted on we the people. After the passing of a decent interval, the case can be dismissed on some procedural grounds (the 5 year rule, maybe?) and the chance of an embarrassing result avoided.

Actually, Ed Hunt hasn't been the Fresno DA for years. If that was the case that he had to be the DA to have standing, I'd think it would have been dismissed years ago. Hunt isn't the only plantiff, there are 5 other plantiffs ranging from a gun dealer to the Law Enforcement Alliance of America.

Ford8N
03-06-2008, 5:14 AM

The link is dead.:willy_nilly:

Maybe.....:TFH:

nhanson
03-06-2008, 10:04 AM
The link is dead.:willy_nilly:

Maybe.....:TFH:

The site may be under maintainance. This is a county site and has been working for the last year or so. Give it a day or two and try again.

Enjoy

Liberty1
03-06-2008, 10:39 AM
Actually, Ed Hunt hasn't been the Fresno DA for years. If that was the case that he had to be the DA to have standing, I'd think it would have been dismissed years ago.

He also sued as a "private person and tax payer" as well as "DA" so I'm sure his standing continues.

nhanson
03-06-2008, 11:05 AM
Site link above is up and running now.

Enjoy

stag6.8
03-06-2008, 4:18 PM
I read the docket and I did see march the 10th,2008 for court trial...but....I also saw another court date for may 25th,2008....what does that date mean?....it seems to me that this case is just as important as heller because mr.hunt was a district atty. suing the state.....I`m really looking into this one and its in a couple of days....im hoping no more serious delays happen in this case...in which i see it has

stag6.8
03-06-2008, 4:33 PM
sorry..misread page the date was may 13th...

stag6.8
03-10-2008, 11:04 AM
well.....today is march the 10th......hopefully we`ll get some type of report of what happened in court today