PDA

View Full Version : picking up a newly registered handgun

gregshin
09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Im picking up a new handgun today at my FFL...do i need a california gun lock to pick up handgun? what if my gun never came with one? i have my lockable gun case to carry and transport the firearm.

N6ATF
09-25-2007, 12:56 PM
When I got mine, I was told at the beginning of the 10 days, it had to have a lock on it. So if it didn't, then get one for when you pick it up just to satisfy the worthless requirement. Just know that they're easily defeatable and you should really just get a solid (expensive) safe instead.

gregshin
09-25-2007, 1:27 PM
its a CQB. i already have a safe that i store my firearms. but i think i vaguely remember hearing the FFL saying i need a cali lock to release to me.

GUNS4WORK
09-25-2007, 11:14 PM
its a federal thing. project child safe. a lock is required for all handgun purchases. no safes aloud

N6ATF
09-25-2007, 11:38 PM
Actually, safes are allowed, and Project Childsafe (http://www.projectchildsafe.org/) bills itself as "The Nation's Largest Firearm Safety Education Program". But it's too much of a PITA for most to get a compliant safe with the supporting documentation, when it's easier just to get a free P-C lock you can hold in one hand from your local police or sherriff's dept (or sometimes even non-profit shooting range office).

The LAW:
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/fsdcertlist.php

E Pluribus Unum
09-25-2007, 11:53 PM
California law requires all new gun purchases to be accompanied by an approved lock. Bringing one in is not good enough... a new one must be purchased within 30 days of picking up the gun. A receipt from a different store within the last 30 days is acceptable. If no RECEIPT is shown the store must sell you a lock with the gun. One can then return the lock for a refund... but no one does that.

If you have a safe that is on the approved list, the lock is not required.

maxicon
09-26-2007, 10:41 AM
Due to the confusion between the recent federal changes and the better-understood California laws, I'm finding I get a different story at every shop I pick up a gun at. Some are OK with the safe affidavit, some require a lock for federal laws, and one recent pickup on a PPT insisted I needed the receipt for my safe (not a lockbox).

Since it's often useless to argue with gunstore employees, especially after the heavy crackdowns of the last year, here's what I do:

- Find out from the gunstore guy what he expects me to have when I pick up. Many will put this on the receipt or on a handout.

- I always carry a lockable handgun case, spare locks, a long gun sock, and a copy of my safe receipt in my trunk.

- Before I pick up, I buy a lock from a friend and get a receipt with date, lock model, etc. I keep a receipt book on hand to make it easy for them to write me one.

So far, this has worked out well - no disappointments, no unnecessary lock purchases (I have quite a few approved locks already).

SgtBulldog
09-26-2007, 11:25 AM
One local gunshop I went to recently requires a gun lock (safe affidavit not ok) for all firearms (not just handguns) purchased. Of course, this one also does not sell OLL's so they are overly cautious. If it wasn't for their by the book transfer fees ($35) I would have balked at the $10 useless lock. :cool:

FortCourageArmory
09-26-2007, 11:48 AM
I just GIVE out a Project Childsafe gunlock to everyone that buys a gun from me. Easier than trying to sell a lock to someone that doesn't want one. Also makes trying to figure out what law is supreme much easier.

N6ATF
09-27-2007, 12:21 AM
You rock.

tenpercentfirearms
09-27-2007, 5:17 AM
Man, so much bad information in this thread. Lets make this clear.

1. California requires that all firearms be sold with an approved FSD (gun lock) or that you show through an affidavit that you own an approved gun safe. The only way around this is for law enforcement duty weapons or if you bring in your own approved FSD with a receipt from the last 30 days.

2. Federal law now states that all handguns must be accompanied by a lock. When you combine that with CA law, basically all handguns must come with an approved FSD, of which a gun safe does not count unless you buy it at the same time as the firearm.

So to pick up a handgun, either bring a lock that you purchased and have a receipt for in the last 30 days, use the lock that might come with the gun, or you will have to buy a lock there.

That is the way the law works and anyone who says differently doesn't know what they are talking about.

Like Fort Courage Armory, I went down to the Taft Police Department and got the guy I know there to give me all 400 of his CA approved Project Childsafe FSDs. No one buys a lock at Ten Percent Firearms anymore.

When those run out, then I will start my lock trade in program. You cannot bring in a lock and use that for your transaction unless you have a receipt from the last 30 days. You can however just bring in a lock and give it to me. I will give you a different lock for free along with your purchase. You bring in a DAC CL551, I give you a Pro-Lok GL710.

Screw the hassle of the lock requirement. I am not charging anyone ever again.

E Pluribus Unum
09-27-2007, 10:34 AM
Screw the hassle of the lock requirement. I am not charging anyone ever again.

I love quickbooks... :) I am self-employed... I simply buy a lock from my inventory and print out a receipt...

If anyone wants to buy a gun luck from me I sell them... $65 a piece.... ;)

maxicon
09-27-2007, 10:40 AM
Man, so much bad information in this thread. Lets make this clear.

1. California requires that all firearms be sold with an approved FSD (gun lock) or that you show through an affidavit that you own an approved gun safe. The only way around this is for law enforcement duty weapons or if you bring in your own approved FSD with a receipt from the last 30 days.

2. Federal law now states that all handguns must be accompanied by a lock. When you combine that with CA law, basically all handguns must come with an approved FSD, of which a gun safe does not count unless you buy it at the same time as the firearm.

So to pick up a handgun, either bring a lock that you purchased and have a receipt for in the last 30 days, use the lock that might come with the gun, or you will have to buy a lock there.

Is there a requirement in the Federal law that the lock be approved and bought within the last 30 days, or will any gun lock do for Federal purposes?

If so, you could use a safe affidavit to comply with California's law and any gun lock (even a non-approved one, bought more than 30 days ago) to comply with Federal law.

Am I missing something?

tenpercentfirearms
09-27-2007, 4:27 PM
Is there a requirement in the Federal law that the lock be approved and bought within the last 30 days, or will any gun lock do for Federal purposes?

If so, you could use a safe affidavit to comply with California's law and any gun lock (even a non-approved one, bought more than 30 days ago) to comply with Federal law.

Am I missing something?

I as a dealer cannot sell you or give you a non-approved FSD.

That is an interesting question. Could you bring in a lock and could we use that to meet the federal requirement (even though it does say provide a lock, if you bring me a lock, I don't know if I am meeting the definition of provide) and an affidavit to meet the state's?

Instead of being that complicated, I would just take your old lock and give you a new lock of a different model. It is much easier that way.

The problem is a lot of gun dealers out there don't want to get cute or screw with this. It is much easier for them to just make you buy a new lock. Really, there comes a point where all of this we are trying to do to get around it isn't worth the $7 to $20 you are saving and that is exactly how some gun shops might view this.

Again, I just keep it simple. I have free gun locks for you. When I run out, we are going to do a lock exchange. There is absolutely nothing the prohibits me from buying or trading locks with customers. I just can't use a lock you provide for your transaction unless it has a receipt dated within the last 30 days.

N6ATF
09-27-2007, 11:51 PM
You also rock.