PDA

View Full Version : Oil or Shellac AK wood?

DB2
09-25-2007, 8:23 AM
Just finishing up on cleaning up the wood on my Romy AK build. I stripped all the nasty old shellac off and gave the wood a good fine sanding. Now, should I oil or shellac it? I can't make up my mind. The wood quality is good enough for oiling it, but I'm not sure what it would look like since it laminated. If I shellac it, it would look like an issued AK, but I'm not sure if I want that either.

What have you AK builders done?

ETD1010
09-25-2007, 2:15 PM
I sealed mine with an oil based finish. (semi-gloss). Worked great. I've also done the same to my m44, and will do so with my Yugo mauser.

SchooBaka
09-25-2007, 3:39 PM
I'm interested in this as well.
I'll be picking up my wasr2 on friday, and the wood appears to be mostly unfinished except for a little stain.
I plan on breaking it down and refinishing it when I get it.
I think I read somewhere on these boards that linseed oil works good for stain, then seal it with laquor. Does this sound right?

M. Sage
09-25-2007, 6:57 PM
Oil, IMO. Use a few coats and it gets a nice sheen like shellac. Most people that see my 91/30 don't realize it's not shellac. Tung oil looks nice, IMO.

Oil won't come off like shellac does, either. You can also use a better varnish than shellac. Shellac just sucks durability-wise.

What I did was to skip the question and go plastic.

metalhead357
09-25-2007, 7:17 PM
Oil, IMO. Use a few coats and it gets a nice sheen like shellac. Most people that see my 91/30 don't realize it's not shellac. Tung oil looks nice, IMO.

Oil won't come off like shellac does, either. You can also use a better varnish than shellac. Shellac just sucks durability-wise.

What I did was to skip the question and go plastic.

+1000

Tung is KICK BUTT stuff;

If you're going the original route....Maadi's had shellac, Yugo's were oiled, I cant remeber what the "true" ak-47 were:chris: at the moment... and romies????????????? GOT ME! Go plastic and dont look back...though I love wood plastic on AK's just makes 'em all the much more 'evil lookin';)

oaklander
09-29-2007, 10:40 PM
I use MinWax Wood-Sheen - it's a gel with stain in it - leaves a nice urethane finish.

http://sixaddiction.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/IMAG0033.JPG

bigthaiboy
09-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil leaves a great finish on wood.

metalhead357
09-30-2007, 7:29 PM
Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil leaves a great finish on wood.

Very true...but I'd leave it for the American made guns of post war era that need refinishing. Sometimes you gotta go different routes to get "just" the right look...but again Birchwood aint nothing to balk at.

DB2
09-30-2007, 8:16 PM
I ended up using Formsby satin tung oil. The coloring and finish looks excellent. To bad I'm not fond of the laminated woods grain :(. l left the foward pistol grip just to be different, since it seems every one cuts them off. I'll post some pics for reference when I get some.

I may use plastic furniture. I just can't wrap my head around the plywoodish furniture.:shrug: