PDA

View Full Version : 30 carbine pistol

guasti61
02-10-2013, 1:05 PM
Has anybody tried loading and shooting 150 grain Berry's fp out of a Ruger 30 carbine revolver ?

bruss01
02-10-2013, 1:55 PM
Has anybody tried loading and shooting 150 grain Berry's fp out of a Ruger 30 carbine revolver ?

I am confident that good terminal ballistic performance can be obtained by 110 grain soft point projectiles exiting from the barrel of a pistol traveling at the muzzle velocity of the same projectile fired from an m1 carbine.

The question is, what load would satisfy that criteria?

Standard m1 carbine rounds would not do. They have slow burning propellants which result in much muzzle flash and and noise when fired from a pistol. That noise and flash means wasted energy. And likely, disappointing performance. Projectiles are designed to perform at a designated impact velocity.

What I'd like to see is a short-barrel .30 carbine round formula, designed to deliver proper terminal ballistics when fired from a pistol barrel from 4 to 8 inches in length.

I know that there have been pistols designed to fire the .30 carbine round. The Automag and Ruger come to mind. Those pistols have always been plagued by the performance of the round itself.

Is there an idealized "pistol loading" for the .30 carbine round?

I've not heard of one yet. Which is sad because I like the round, and with a properly configured formula it holds great promise.

One of the things working against this is the length of the round. With a conventional pistol design, that means an abnormally hefty grip, which would not be suited to many shooters. I'm curious if a Mauser Broomhandle design would be a good platform for a .30 carbine pistol? Slim grip, forward mag (either captive or detachable). I wonder if there would be a niche market for such a thing?

Pete1979
02-10-2013, 6:37 PM
http://hunting.about.com/od/guns/l/aastruger30bh.htm

guasti61
02-10-2013, 8:11 PM
Bruss01 and Pete1979., Thank you for your feed back and info. I think I'm going to give it a try. If I do I'll post my findings..Thanks again guasti61