PDA

View Full Version : Open Carry walks

elenius
09-24-2007, 3:03 PM
I read in this article,

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/article3965.html

about how they had "open carry walks" in OH.

What do you think would happen if one of those was organized here in CA?

CalNRA
09-24-2007, 3:06 PM
dunno.

Out in the desert or in downtown SF?:p

the phrase "unnecessary excitement" from another thread comes to mind.

MudCamper
09-24-2007, 3:23 PM
What do you think would happen if one of those was organized here in CA?

I beleive some folks over at the CA section of OpenCarry.org (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/) want to organize just such events.

I have an extremely vague recollection of there being restrictions on carry near picketers and/or assembled protestors. I wonder if you could get busted on being near yourself in this case. :confused: I'll look for PC references...

SemiAutoSam
09-24-2007, 3:24 PM
How about to Sacramento a little convoy down to a boffers office.

dunno.

Out in the desert or in downtown SF?:p

the phrase "unnecessary excitement" from another thread comes to mind.

MudCamper
09-24-2007, 3:28 PM
How about to Sacramento a little convoy down to a boffers office.

171b Cannot carry in any State or local public building or at any meeting required to be open to the public.

Sacramento probably has additional restrictions as well...

CitaDeL
09-24-2007, 3:56 PM
I beleive some folks over at the CA section of OpenCarry.org (http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/) want to organize just such events.

I have an extremely vague recollection of there being restrictions on carry near picketers and/or assembled protestors. I wonder if you could get busted on being near yourself in this case. :confused: I'll look for PC references...

(a) Any person who does any of the following acts while engaged in picketing, or other informational activities in a public place relating to a concerted refusal to work, is guilty of a misdemeanor:

(1) Carries concealed upon his person or within any vehicle which is under his or her control or direction any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

(2) Carries a loaded firearm upon his or her person or within any vehicle which is under his or her control or direction.

(3) Carries a deadly weapon.

(4) Wears the uniform of a peace officer, whether or not the person is a peace officer.

(b) This section shall not be construed to authorize or ratify any picketing or other informational activities not otherwise authorized by law.

(c) Section 12027 shall not be construed to authorize any conduct described in paragraph (1) of subdivision (a), nor shall subdivision (b) of Section 12031 be construed to authorize any conduct described in paragraph (2) of subdivision (a).

A demonstration of this sort is certainly workable as it is not relating to an organized refusal to work. It also is not considered a public meeting required to be open to the public and while the Statehouse is a public building, there would be no need to go inside- the cameras and other media would better see us on a public sidwalk... all the way around the Capitol.

If there is sufficient momentum for this kind of demonstration, Id be glad to put my action to my words- even if that means researching and organizing a walk.

M. Sage
09-24-2007, 6:04 PM
I'm down. Tell me when and where.

CaliforniaCarry
09-24-2007, 8:54 PM
Say the word and I'm there.

bulgron
09-24-2007, 9:35 PM
Uh, won't you be breaking the law if you do this in an incorporated city, or in a county with more than 200,000 residents? Or will you do an open carry march, but with unloaded firearms?

And without the kind of constitutional protection that Ohio had, what's to keep LEO from busting you for disturbing the peace, inciting a riot, or some other such rot?

I always assumed open carry marches were coming to CA only AFTER Heller went out way. :)

CCWFacts
09-24-2007, 9:38 PM
I always assumed open carry marches were coming to CA only AFTER Heller went out way. :)

That's my assumption.

An OC march in an unincorporated area of a rural county will be ignored by everyone.

So you have to with unloaded carry.

But you can't even do this in any real urban area because real urban areas are 90% school zones.

And if the right to OC isn't const. protected (by son of Heller, maybe) they can just ban unloaded OC everywhere if they want to.

SemiAutoSam
09-24-2007, 9:40 PM
Bring your 1000 ft tape measure.

Or should all schools have white lines drawn around then to indicate the 1000 ft mark.

Double points if you cross 2 intersecting white lines.

But you can't even do this in any real urban area because real urban areas are 90% school zones.

Liberty1
09-24-2007, 9:56 PM
DON"T :D Bring your 1000 ft tape measure.

Don't ever let on that you even know 626.9 exists. Don't ever acknowledge that you know where the school zones might be. Don't give up your 4th and 5th Amendment rights in a police encounter. It is an element of the crime that the state must prove that you knew or should have reasonably known that you were in a school zone.

626.9. (a) This section shall be known, and may be cited, as the
Gun-Free School Zone Act of 1995.
(b) Any person who possesses a firearm in a place that the person
knows, or reasonably should know, is a school zone

MudCamper
09-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Uh, won't you be breaking the law if you do this in an incorporated city, or in a county with more than 200,000 residents? Or will you do an open carry march, but with unloaded firearms?

Unloaded, and then you are fine in a city, provided that city doesn't have some other local law. And loaded mags in your possession are legal, per 12031 and Parker.

The 200,000 number is for Open Carry permits only, and nobody gets those.

I have a flyer that covers all of the relevant codes (except CCW permits) here:

http://www.paul.net/guns/CaliforniaOpenCarry.pdf

Don't ever let on that you even know 626.9 exists.

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse. And besides, the law refers to knowing where the schools are, not knowing the law. However, I wouldn't count on ignorance. I'd bet you'd still get charged at the very least.

metalhead357
09-24-2007, 11:33 PM
ANNNNNNNNNNNYBODY remember the Old Sac rules of No Guns in the govenor's house...even CCW? LOL!

The one that came to mind was there wuzzzzzz once a restriction of No firearms PERIOD for about a 2 block radius around the state capitol.........

ANYBODY Remember that one? What EVER did happen to that? Still on d' books?

Liberty1
09-24-2007, 11:48 PM
ANNNNNNNNNNNYBODY remember the Old Sac rules of No Guns in the govenor's house...even CCW? LOL!

The one that came to mind was there wuzzzzzz once a restriction of No firearms PERIOD for about a 2 block radius around the state capitol.........

ANYBODY Remember that one? What EVER did happen to that? Still on d' books?

With a 12050PC license to carry (LTC) it is not prohibited. Otherwise unloaded carry is not prohibited but take note of the special loaded definition in 171(e) that requires you to give your loaded mag to a friend to hold while you hold his loaded mag (provided you have different calibers :D ) .

ADDED http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html

171c. Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined
in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a
full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal
government who is carrying out official duties while in California,
any person summoned by any such officer to assist in making arrests
or preserving the peace while he is actually engaged in assisting
such officer, a member of the military forces of this state or the
United States engaged in the performance of his duties, or a person
holding a valid license to carry the firearm pursuant to Article 3
(commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1 of Title 2 of Part 4,
who brings a loaded firearm into, or possesses a loaded firearm
within, the State Capitol, any legislative office, any office of the
Governor or other constitutional officer, or any hearing room in
which any committee of the Senate or Assembly is conducting a
hearing, or upon the grounds of the State Capitol, which is bounded
by 10th, L, 15th, and N Streets in the City of Sacramento, shall be
punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a period of not more
than one year, a fine of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000),
or both such imprisonment and fine, or by imprisonment in the state
prison.

171d. Any person, except a duly appointed peace officer as defined
in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2, a
full-time paid peace officer of another state or the federal
government who is carrying out official duties while in California,
any person summoned by that officer to assist in making arrests or
preserving the peace while he or she is actually engaged in assisting
the officer, a member of the military forces of this state or of the
United States engaged in the performance of his or her duties, a
person holding a valid license to carry the firearm
pursuant to Article 3 (commencing with Section 12050) of Chapter 1
of Title 2 of Part 4, the Governor or a member of his or her immediate
family or a person acting with his or her permission with respect to the Governor's
Mansion or any other residence of the Governor, any other
constitutional officer or a member of his or her immediate family or
a person acting with his or her permission with respect to the
officer's residence, or a Member of the Legislature or a member of
his or her immediate family or a person acting with his or her
permission with respect to the Member's residence, shall be punished
by imprisonment in a county jail for not more than one year, by fine
of not more than one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both the fine
and imprisonment, or by imprisonment in the state prison, if he or
she does any of the following:
(a) Brings a loaded firearm into, or possesses a loaded
firearm within, the Governor's Mansion, or any other residence of the
Governor, the residence of any other constitutional officer, or the
residence of any Member of the Legislature.
(b) Brings a loaded firearm upon, or possesses a loaded
firearm upon, the grounds of the Governor's Mansion or any other
residence of the Governor, the residence of any other constitutional officer,
or the residence of any Member of the Legislature.

*171e. A firearm shall be deemed loaded for the purposes of Sections
171c and 171d whenever both the firearm and unexpended ammunition
capable of being discharged from such firearm are in the immediate
possession of the same person. In order to determine whether
or not a firearm is loaded for the purpose of enforcing Section 171c
or 171d, peace officers are authorized to examine any firearm carried
by anyone on his person or in a vehicle while in any place or on the
grounds of any place in or on which the possession of a loaded firearm is
prohibited by Section 171c or 171d. Refusal to allow a peace officer to inspect
a firearm pursuant to the provisions of this section constitutes probable cause
for arrest for violation of Section 171c or 171d.

metalhead357
09-24-2007, 11:57 PM
THANK YOU Liberty!

I hate mentioning I forgets stuff...but I dont think I've ventured off/outta the 500000 PC code in forever. Now please, wherever did you find that online? My only reference to it was from an ancient BOOK from DOJ bought for $4.00 like from circa 1980:eek:

dicast
09-25-2007, 11:01 AM
what's the point of carry an unload weapon for?

MudCamper
09-25-2007, 11:04 AM
what's the point of carry an unload weapon for?

Firearm holstered on hip, loaded mags on other side of hip. In a couple seconds you could have a loaded weapon if you need it. Not as good as carrying loaded? Of course. But is it better than carrying nothing?

Crazed_SS
09-25-2007, 4:37 PM
Firearm holstered on hip, loaded mags on other side of hip. In a couple seconds you could have a loaded weapon if you need it. Not as good as carrying loaded? Of course. But is it better than carrying nothing?

It's marginally better than nothing.

elenius
09-25-2007, 5:29 PM
Ignorance of the law is never an excuse. And besides, the law refers to knowing where the schools are, not knowing the law. However, I wouldn't count on ignorance. I'd bet you'd still get charged at the very least.

It's not about ignorance of the law, it's about ignorance of geography.

elenius
09-25-2007, 5:32 PM

The goal of these things would be to push for CCW reform. It's a way of saying "If it bothers you to see my gun, then allow me to conceal it".

I do wonder what would happen though. No-one think the cops would panic and send in swat teams and tear gas?

Crazed_SS
09-25-2007, 5:37 PM
The goal of these things would be to push for CCW reform. It's a way of saying "If it bothers you to see my gun, then allow me to conceal it".

I do wonder what would happen though. No-one think the cops would panic and send in swat teams and tear gas?

You might want to inform the police ahead of times if you're planning such an event. Otherwise, you might end up with the SWAT Team all over you.

I made a post awhile back about a guy who walked into a Wells Fargo here in San Diego with a belt-buckle shaped like a gun. He didnt threaten anyone or anyting, but someone called the cops and half the SDPD showed up to greet the guy when he walked outside.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20070706-1422-bn06gunbelt.html
http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/13636340/detail.html?subid=10101561

EDIT: Just look at the comments from the cops..

"While Munoz said the pair did not break any laws, police explained to them that "it's a very sensitive situation" for anyone to carry a weapon -- real or a replica -- in a bank."

"But, Johnson complained, “They called me an idiot and said 'I can't believe you were wearing that right now.' "

Maybe everyone should just get these and march around
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cool-COLT-9MM-HANDGUN-BELT-BUCKLE-Glock-Gun-Pistol_W0QQitemZ180113244659QQihZ008QQcategoryZ156 61QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
j/k :)

AJAX22
09-25-2007, 5:49 PM
If this is going to be a planned event I'll film it.

CitaDeL
09-25-2007, 6:04 PM

Spot on with the reform issue elenius.

As for a disproportionate police response to lawful open carry in California- While the San Diego authorities took ridiculous precautions to thwart the possession of a belt buckle, Redding Police have reacted in a reasonable and measured way to reports of an openly armed man. See midway down the page- http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum12/2978-3.html

As for an orchestrated open carry walk, police would be informed of our protest in advance, mitigating the possibility of a SWAT response to 20,50, 100, or,... 1,000 lawful openly armed protesters.

metalhead357
09-25-2007, 7:56 PM

+100000000000 on that; you'd be better off learning the 21-foot rule and probably carry a (legal) knife.

M. Sage
09-25-2007, 7:59 PM
Self-defense isn't the point of these... Well, not immediate self-defense, anyway.

dustoff31
09-25-2007, 8:37 PM
Not only should the Police/Sheriff be informed, but even get them involved if possible.

Say a walk is held in a county that is friendly to 2A matters. Get the press out there and the Sheriff goes on TV and says, "This is simply XX number of law-abiding citizens exercising their rights under the law. I might also note that blood is NOT running in the streets, the earth has not tilted off it's axis, and crime is way down today." Or something to that effect.

CitaDeL
09-25-2007, 9:18 PM
Not only should the Police/Sheriff be informed, but even get them involved if possible.

Say a walk is held in a county that is friendly to 2A matters. Get the press out there and the Sheriff goes on TV and says, "This is simply XX number of law-abiding citizens exercising their rights under the law. I might also note that blood is NOT running in the streets, the earth has not tilted off it's axis, and crime is way down today." Or something to that effect.

Hmm---- please name a county Sheriff or a City Police Cheif that is such an ardent supporter of 2A, that they would be on board with a demonstration of open carry. Im not holding my breath- at least not in this State. Even self-professed pro-gun LEA's are reluctant to support open arms.

I think the best venue would be at the Statehouse on a day we know the legislature is in session.

I am also not opposed to an event that is held on a cellular level statewide, where local organizers have their own OC walks in the cities where they live. Then- when five or ten show up in one city, it will be reported that this was a part of a statewide demonstration where hundreds or thousands participated and saturate a wider audience covered by local media, rather than spending all our efforts to break into national coverage.

Of course, t-shirts or signs with an appropriate web url should certainly appear in any interview or coverage.

dustoff31
09-25-2007, 9:30 PM
Hmm---- please name a county Sheriff or a City Police Cheif that is such an ardent supporter of 2A, that they would be on board with a demonstration of open carry. Im not holding my breath- at least not in this State. Even self-professed pro-gun LEA's are reluctant to support open arms.

I think the best venue would be at the Statehouse on a day we know the legislature is in session.

I am also not opposed to an event that is held on a cellular level statewide, where local organizers have their own OC walks in the cities where they live. Then- when five or ten show up in one city, it will be reported that this was a part of a statewide demonstration where hundreds or thousands participated and saturate a wider audience covered by local media, rather than spending all our efforts to break into national coverage.

Of course, t-shirts or signs with an appropriate web url should certainly appear in any interview or coverage.

I can't name one, but I bet if you look around you'd sooner find a sympathetic sheriff/chief than anyone in the statehouse, as they are the people who put this crap in place to beguin with.

E Pluribus Unum
09-25-2007, 10:30 PM
And new for 2008, the open carry walkers:

http://www.christophor.com/pics/ocwalker.jpg

Hey Kes... would you be up for beta testing? ;)

Steyr_223
09-26-2007, 1:30 AM
http://depts.washington.edu/civilr/images/bpp/wsa/black%20panthers%202-28-69.jpg

http://www.newsfrombabylon.com/images/galleries/bobby_hutton-5683.jpg

http://spiranza.free.fr/SACRAMENTO-PANTHERS.jpg

Steyr_223
09-26-2007, 1:33 AM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/03/blackpanthers_2.jpg
Forty years ago, something remarkable happened in the Legislature that forever changed the culture in California's most public building. Today, metal detectors monitor everyone who enters the state Capitol. But in 1967, more than a dozen Black Panthers with loaded weapons stormed the building to demand the right to carry weapons.

The story is recounted today by George Skelton, our columnist, who was there:

"May 2, 1967, was a nice sunny day in Sacramento. Gov. Ronald Reagan was about to join an eighth-grade social studies class on the Capitol's west lawn for a fried chicken lunch. Suddenly a group of guys with guns - rifles, shotguns, side arms - came marching through.

"From the Associated Press bureau on the Capitol's second floor, chief correspondent Bill Stall was glancing out the window. The future Times staffer remembers the bizarre scene: 'They looked like an infantry company coming through the trees.' "

What happened next, Skelton writes, marked the end of "an era of innocence, a time when politicians regarded the domed, granite monolith as a sanctuary from the dangers of everyday violence. It ushered in the gradual tightening of security, culminating in the fortress-like building it is today, guarded by magnetometers, security cameras and vehicle-stopping steel posts ringing the park."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/03/blackpanthers2_2.jpg

http://www.bet.com/Assets/BET/Published/image/jpeg/4cd92047-7375-737b-df60-35eba31e6509-Black_Panthers_California_Capitol_Protest_gun_win. jpg

Steyr_223
09-26-2007, 1:39 AM
http://www.hippy.com/archives/panthersatcapitol.jpg
http://www.iveknownrivers.org/stories/vol_002/panthermania-2006-04-13/beeheadline.jpg
http://www.iveknownrivers.org/stories/vol_002/panthermania-2006-04-13/bobbyhuey.jpg

CCWFacts
09-26-2007, 2:12 AM
Wow, a large group of well-armed blacks are in the capitol building... and there are no SWAT teams, everyone (including LEOs) look calm, no shots are fired, no one is screaming.

I think our whole country has become afraid of its own shadow. Someone walks into a bank now wearing a belt buckle that has a pistol image on it (doesn't even look like a real pistol) and there's a huge LE response, etc. Planes get diverted because someone feels funny about that guy in the turban on aisle 23. Students get expelled for having a butter knife in the car. The TSA spent a year taking nail clippers away from people.

What is up?

Piper
09-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Wow, a large group of well-armed blacks are in the capitol building... and there are no SWAT teams, everyone (including LEOs) look calm, no shots are fired, no one is screaming.

I think our whole country has become afraid of its own shadow. Someone walks into a bank now wearing a belt buckle that has a pistol image on it (doesn't even look like a real pistol) and there's a huge LE response, etc. Planes get diverted because someone feels funny about that guy in the turban on aisle 23. Students get expelled for having a butter knife in the car. The TSA spent a year taking nail clippers away from people.

What is up?
************************S A R C A S M***********************
OMG, didn't you know? Our military is losing in Iraq and we don't know how to protect ourselves. If we had guns, why we would shoot ourselves and our families. We would be seething cauldrons of insane unreasonable rage. Blood would be running in our streets. We need our infalible and fearless leaders, oh and our police to protect us. And it's all George Bush's fault.
************************S A R C A S M***********************

Steyr_223
09-26-2007, 3:04 PM
In many ways, the 1960's was the Apex of Amercan society.

stingray4540
09-26-2007, 3:51 PM
So, are we just talking a lot of hot air, or are we going to organize this?

Count me in.

I'll drive to the other end of the state to participate if I need to, but I think it would be best for this to occure at the capitol if no local laws prevent it.

MudCamper
09-26-2007, 4:43 PM
So, are we just talking a lot of hot air, or are we going to organize this?

Hot air. For something like this to happen, somebody has to take ownership of it. That one person needs to research and organize it, determin all local ordinaces, determin if any schools are in the way, notify the police, etc., etc.

Plus I advise only single people with no kids or other obligations to take part. Plan on spending a few days in jail, many months to years in the courts, and many thousands of dollars as a result. It may be unjust, but it is a distinct possibility.

Call me a keyboard commando, but I for one cannot risk my family's financial future on this crusade, as noble as it may be.

Liberty1
09-26-2007, 4:50 PM
For any action one would plan, I would recommend it to be next Spring or Summer so as to allow enough time to plan, spread the word and build support, and perhaps have it coincide with a Heller decision.

Liberty1
09-26-2007, 4:59 PM
Hot air. For something like this to happen, somebody has to take ownership of it. That one person needs to research and organize it, determin all local ordinaces, determin if any schools are in the way, notify the police, etc., etc.

Plus I advise only single people with no kids or other obligations to take part. Plan on spending a few days in jail, many months to years in the courts, and many thousands of dollars as a result. It may be unjust, but it is a distinct possibility.

Call me a keyboard commando, but I for one cannot risk my family's financial future on this crusade, as noble as it may be.

Everybody who supports these Rights needs to show up for something like this. If one doesn't wish to bear arms, bring a sign and an empty holster. I wouldn't worry about unlawful arrests during a peaceful protest. The laws will have been researched and everything will be video taped and recorded (we are not like the no border anarchists in down town LA). I would expect also a lot of pro-LEO signs at this too. There is always an element of risk in walking out ones front door or in just getting out of bed for that matter but that should not deter participation. Several hundred individuals and families at an open carry walk is what would in my mind make it a more legit protest.

Otherwise people should just continue to demonstrate daily OC and post their experiences.

M. Sage
09-26-2007, 6:02 PM

I agree. Most of the places where this would draw a reasonable amount of attention have CLEOs that tell you "yes, the (shop or home owner) defended him/herself successfully with a gun in this instance, but it's best not to try. Just give them what they want and call the police and don't take the law into your own hands."

We might be able to get rank-and-file officers to join in, but they'd probably be too scared of losing their jobs over it. :rolleyes:

moulton
09-26-2007, 8:10 PM
I agree. Most of the places where this would draw a reasonable amount of attention have CLEOs that tell you "yes, the (shop or home owner) defended him/herself successfully with a gun in this instance, but it's best not to try. Just give them what they want and call the police and don't take the law into your own hands."

We might be able to get rank-and-file officers to join in, but they'd probably be too scared of losing their jobs over it. :rolleyes:

mendocino county is pretty cool, self defence is a valid reason for a ccw up there and I belive the sheriff is an active supporter of the gun club

M. Sage
09-26-2007, 8:14 PM
Yeah, but see... that's the problem. I really doubt that an open-carry event in Mendocino County would attract much attention. Just going off where it's located and what you just said, it'd rate more "so you've got guns....too. Good on ya."

Places this would have more impact would be Marin County, SF, San Mateo County, Berkeley, LA County, probably down San Diego way (sorry, my CA geography skills suck... I don't know half the cities in the Bay Area even, let alone SoCal.) You know, the anti-gun strongholds. We need to take this into their front yard.

SemiAutoSam
09-26-2007, 8:46 PM
The guy on the right looks somewhat like George Jefferson from the 1975 TV Show the Jeffersons.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0376200/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072519/

http://www.iveknownrivers.org/stories/vol_002/panthermania-2006-04-13/bobbyhuey.jpg

metalhead357
09-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Sam you got it backwards... George looked like THAT guy in the photo...taken MUCH earlier;)

gordoe
09-27-2007, 8:07 PM
The guy on the right looks somewhat like George Jefferson from the 1975 TV Show the Jeffersons.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN'T HAVE GREAT MEN LIKE THAT ANYMORE! THEY WENT TO THE CAPITOL IN SACRAMENTO CARRYING RIFLES, DEMANDING THEIR CIVIL RIGHTS, THEN REAGAN TOOK CALIFORNIA CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO CARRY IN PUBLIC AWAY.

M. Sage
09-27-2007, 8:28 PM
Anybody up for a walk across the GGB (if it's not illegal to do so?) If not, Golden Gate park would make a nice backdrop for this.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY WE CAN'T HAVE GREAT MEN LIKE THAT ANYMORE! THEY WENT TO THE CAPITOL IN SACRAMENTO CARRYING RIFLES, DEMANDING THEIR CIVIL RIGHTS, THEN REAGAN TOOK CALIFORNIA CITIZEN'S RIGHT TO CARRY IN PUBLIC AWAY.

Not yet... not yet.

CitaDeL
09-27-2007, 8:52 PM
Anybody up for a walk across the GGB (if it's not illegal to do so?) If not, Golden Gate park would make a nice backdrop for this.

Not yet... not yet.

Yes, provided its not a California State park and its not prohibited by local ordinance. Anyone from SF want to investigate?

Steyr_223
09-28-2007, 8:04 PM
If that's George Jefferson, where's Weezie??

Rascal
09-30-2007, 1:24 PM
Yeah, but see... that's the problem. I really doubt that an open-carry event in Mendocino County would attract much attention Just going off where it's located and what you just said, it'd rate more "so you've got guns....too. Good on ya."

Not if it was organized well enough to get a very very large number of people to do the walk. This isn't just about a bunch of people going up there and walking around. It has to be planned all the way up to having the lawyers ready just in case. All the laws have to be reviewed, so we can make sure that this goes off without a hitch, and we would need to let the press know about this at the appropriate time to get the coverage that we want.

Places this would have more impact would be Marin County, SF, San Mateo County, Berkeley, LA County, probably down San Diego way (sorry, my CA geography skills suck... I don't know half the cities in the Bay Area even, let alone SoCal.) You know, the anti-gun strongholds. We need to take this into their front yard.

You don't change someones mind by forcing something down their throats.
You have to get them used to it. Sheeple are freaked out at open carry because it's not normal to see this. We need to get the sheeple used to seeing open carry, and we have to start off small. If our lawyers can convince the Mendocino sheriff that this is OK to do, that's just one small step in the right direction, and we can expand from there.
Remember the anti's didn't take all our rights away all at one time. This has been happening for decades, slowly eroding our rights away.
This strategy worked for them, and it can work for us too!

Look a few people have already expressed concerned that if arrests came, they wouldn't be too happy about showing up. They have family to support. I understand this, but what if we could plan this in such a way that we know this would not happen? This is about getting the right people to explain to the host city/county officials that this is Ok and within the law, and to help them to educate their LEO's and the residents that this is Ok. This might even be good for their economy, as I wouldn't mind spending my money in a town that would allow me to OC, even if it had to be unloaded. That's a start!
There's money and a lot of leg work that's going to have to be done in order to pull this off, but I do think that it can happen.
The Sheriff in Redding told ConditionThree that he was not breaking any law, and that he was within his rights to OC, but He didn't like it and wanted him to commit to not doing it again. We want someone that will side with us, and I believe that we can if we play our cards correctly.