PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ring height

proraptor
09-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok so I have medium rings paired with my super sniper and I could probably get low rings and be fine (Ive seen it done). My question is are there any advantages of the scope being lower on the rifle? It seems everyone wants the scope to be almost sitting on the rifle....

DJDace
09-23-2007, 1:07 PM
The advantage is in having the scopes tube (and by association, the reticle) closer to the line of the barrel/action of the rifle. This I believe will allow for a greater degree of potential adjustment.

metalhead357
09-23-2007, 3:02 PM
unless the stock's set up for a scope....some are, most arn't....then mounting closer to the reciever allows a lot less hassle of trying to find a decent cheek weld and/or mounting a stock support for your cheek so yer' head is high enough to actually SEE out the scope. Try a gun without a cheek rest and with too high of rings and you might as well put a pillow ON the stock to rest yer' chin on while you shoot;)

Secondary reason...another one I've often heard is for hunting guns..... that LOW profile of the objective lens close to the rifle DOES stop crap (branches) from getting caught so easily as compared to if there is a BIG gap..... aint nuttin' like getting a chance to shoot and finding yer' wepon growing sprouts from under the scope!!!!!!

Fjold
09-23-2007, 3:27 PM
The advantage is in having the scopes tube (and by association, the reticle) closer to the line of the barrel/action of the rifle. This I believe will allow for a greater degree of potential adjustment.

The amount of adjustment in a modern scope is internal to the scope and does not vary with the height over the bore.