PDA

View Full Version : Unlimited budget to antagonize.

CavTrooper
09-23-2007, 11:33 AM
Ok, hypothetical situation, just for Sunday fun.
Suppose you are granted an unlimited budget to do with whatever you wish, however whatever you do must be 100% legal and specifically designed to antagonize any and all law makers and law enforcement who are anti-gun.

My idea:
Open a chain store that only carries off list "assault" rifles. Each complete with magazine locks etc. where needed. I would have 1 huge wall dedicated to AR types and 1 dedicated to AK types. The name of my chain would be "ASSAULT RIFLES(?) and MORE" yes the question mark is part of the name. My vehicle would bear a huge sticker with the name of my chain, complete with sillouette of crossed AR and AK rifles, and stickers with things like "driver carries only 210 rounds of amunition" and "happiness is a belt-fed weapon". I would also carry a legally compliant, locked case made of see-through material, containing my CA-compliant firearm of the day, hanging in the window of my vehicle.
Id go heavy on survellince equipment inside and outside my shops as well as vehicle and home. Everytime someone looked at me or my shops crosseyed, theyd be defending thier actions in court.

malicious? yes. Fun? hell yeah.

your turn

MedSpec65
09-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Ideas like yours may get me back into playing the lottery. Love it. I'm especially fond of your "see-through locked containers". What a gas.

CCWFacts
09-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Creating a legal defense fund that provides enough funding for everyone who is charged, even with misdemeanor stuff like carrying without a permit, to get a solid legal defense, a full jury trial, appeals, everything. Only less than 5% of crim. cases go to jury trials. They can't afford more than a small number of cases a year, so they have to be very judicious with those. If every gun owner knew that he would get a full-scale legal defense (think one step bellow the MJ legal team) many of these laws would be rendered unenforceable.

The other way I would spend the money would be to buy the NRA mailing list and send out once-a-month mailers about how important it is to serve on a jury, and how powerful jurors are.

Mssr. Eleganté
09-23-2007, 11:41 AM
My idea:
Open a chain store that only carries off list "assault" rifles. Each complete with magazine locks etc. where needed. I would have 1 huge wall dedicated to AR types and 1 dedicated to AK types. The name of my chain would be "ASSAULT RIFLES(?) and MORE" yes the question mark is part of the name. My vehicle would bear a huge sticker with the name of my chain, complete with sillouette of crossed AR and AK rifles, and stickers with things like "driver carries only 210 rounds of amunition" and "happiness is a belt-fed weapon". I would also carry a legally compliant, locked case made of see-through material, containing my CA-compliant firearm of the day, hanging in the window of my vehicle

Don't forget the extensive television and billboard advertising campaign, and a catchy jingle!

CavTrooper
09-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Creating a legal defense fund that provides enough funding for everyone who is charged, even with misdemeanor stuff like carrying without a permit, to get a solid legal defense, a full jury trial, appeals, everything. Only less than 5% of crim. cases go to jury trials. They can't afford more than a small number of cases a year, so they have to be very judicious with those. If every gun owner knew that he would get a full-scale legal defense (think one step bellow the MJ legal team) many of these laws would be rendered unenforceable.

The other way I would spend the money would be to buy the NRA mailing list and send out once-a-month mailers about how important it is to serve on a jury, and how powerful jurors are.

Yes, that would be a very good idea!

leelaw
09-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Assault rifles are illegal in California. Did you mean off-list "assault weapon" look-alikes?;)

CavTrooper
09-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Don't forget the extensive television and billboard advertising campaign, and a catchy jingle!

Theres a gun store in Savannah, GA who does radio advertisements, thier "catch phrase" that is in all thier ads, on thier bumper stickers, everything, is:

"Dont be a victim, buy a GUN!".

I love hearing it everytime Im there.

CavTrooper
09-23-2007, 11:57 AM
Assault rifles are illegal in California. Did you mean off-list "assault weapon" look-alikes?;)

Nope, I meant:
"assault"(?) rifles"
as in:
"WTF bob, I thought assault rifles were illegal? "
"They are, but those arent assault rifles, Jack"
"Really? They look just like assault rifles"
"Yeah but those rifles arent banned by name and they only have ten round magazines"
"Well shoot Bob, thats just stupid!"

leelaw
09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Nope, I meant:
"assault"(?) rifles"
as in:
"WTF bob, I thought assault rifles were illegal? "
"They are, but those arent assault rifles, Jack"
"Really? They look just like assault rifles"
"Yeah but those rifles arent banned by name and they only have ten round magazines"
"Well shoot Bob, thats just stupid!"

Sounds like OLL vs Assault Weapons, to me. ;)

CavTrooper
09-23-2007, 12:08 PM
I guess my reply couldve been shortend by just saying-
"hence the question mark"
:D

dustoff31
09-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I think I would create a TV and radio show. The format would be in two parts.

Part One would list the elected and appointed officials acts of hipocrisy and disregard for their constitutents, i.e. Di FI and CCW. CLEO's refusing to exercise descretion, etc.

Part Two would have career criminals come on and explain how much they like the idea of a defenseless public, that all the stupid gun control laws do not deter them in any way, and then thank the gun grabbers and politicians, by name, for making the crooks job much easier.

EastBayRidge
09-23-2007, 12:42 PM
How about calling them "AssOLLt Rifles" ? :28:

bulgron
09-23-2007, 1:19 PM
If I had unlimited funds?

Oh, not in any particular order:

1. Fund the campaigns of pro-gun politicians, especially pro-gun democrats in their primary season
2. Recruit and fund the campaigns of pro-CCW sheriff candidates in the "bad" counties
3. Wait for the Heller ruling, then proceed to sue the state over every stupid and bad firearm law that's on the books. All at once. Let them deal with a blitz for once.
4. Start a legal defense insurance agency designed to ensure that everyone who is caught up in firearm-related legal troubles can be fully represented and has the financial ability to go to court.
5. Find cities without shooting ranges, and open shooting ranges there. Start leagues. Recruit people into the sport.
6. Start a newspaper in a major metropolitan area that looks and acts just like all the other major metropolitan newspapers, except that it would tell the unvarnished truth about firearm-related stories, and be pro-constitution in all it's reporting.
7. Do the same with a 6:00 news program.

How am I doing? :D

Charliegone
09-23-2007, 1:34 PM
You know what I'd do? I'd buy up all of California (since it is unlimited right?) and then take off all the stupid gun laws, along with other laws we do not need. Since I'd be the owner and basically Emperor (or whatever other "title":p) I can make up my own laws. Don't worry I won't be like Saddam.:) BTW, I'd fire all those anti-gun officials. That will not be tolerated in Charliegones Empire. :)

CCWFacts
09-23-2007, 1:43 PM
1. Fund the campaigns of pro-gun politicians, especially pro-gun democrats in their primary season

That's actually a big one. Sure, individual contributions are limited (amount varies by office) but there are hundreds of primary races, and contributing in each of them can have a big impact.

hoffmang
09-23-2007, 1:46 PM
That's actually a big one. Sure, individual contributions are limited (amount varies by office) but there are hundreds of primary races, and contributing in each of them can have a big impact.

The other option is choosing a known anti-gun candidate who is vulnerable and funding his competitor all the way and very actively regardless of his competitor's party or position. Send the message that antis will pay by being forced out of office next election.

-Gene

bulgron
09-23-2007, 2:04 PM
Oops, I forgot a few.

I'd throw many gala parties, put a lot of money into charitable things that my local sheriff cares about, fund her re-election campaign, and generally become a mover and a shaker in the county, until such a time as I pried my CCW out of my sheriff. Then I'd hang out talking about cool guns and holsters, all the while acting mystified why anyone has a problem getting a CCW in California.

If not that, then I'd move to Arizona or New Mexico or some such, have my CCW, and talk disparagingly about California and how only fools live there.

Ahhh, it would be good to be an overlord.

JALLEN
09-23-2007, 2:10 PM

I can't think of anything that would turn me off of the NRA and jury service more or faster than that.

I get too many mailers from NRA as it is, and I specifically asked to not get any. I also get the annual jury service invite, which is ridiculous since no lawyer in his right mind will leave another lawyer on a jury unless he has absolutely no choice.

JALLEN
09-23-2007, 2:12 PM
The other option is choosing a known anti-gun candidate who is vulnerable and funding his competitor all the way and very actively regardless of his competitor's party or position. Send the message that antis will pay by being forced out of office next election.

-Gene

You mean like Moveon.org and whatzisname is doing now?

KenpoProfessor
09-23-2007, 2:29 PM
What I'd do is hire a private investigator to trail every known anti-gunner in legislative power, state and federal. Get the dirt and expose them like the Senator Craig cockroaches they are. And if I can't find dirt, I'd create it by hiring actors and put them in compromising positions with physical evidence so they'd have to resign. Once they're gone it's a party on me.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

gazzavc
09-23-2007, 2:31 PM
One other thing I would do....

Any Hollywood actor or actress that has used firearms in a movie, series or show to further their career, and who is actively anti-gun, would be exposed as a hypocrite on the national stage.

Billboards,TV slots, the works. Show 'em up as the hypocrites they are.

Gary

LAK Supply
09-23-2007, 2:32 PM
I would begin a relentless campaign against the federal government based on the unconstitutionality of the majority of the laws. I would find parties with standing and challenge everything that's not based on the Constitution.

Much of the funds would be used for lobbying the states so that a coalition of like-minded states may be formed. These states would cut off funds to the federal government and create directives that no citizen living in said states would pay income taxes to the feds. In this manner the people would be insulated by the states and court battles would be forced.

Nothing is going to change until the flow of $$ is reversed.... as long as the feds can use the cash carrot on the end of the stick to influence the states they have the control. The flow of funds to the feds and the redistribution of these funds back to the states is one of the single largest power-grabs by the feds.

N6ATF
09-23-2007, 9:46 PM
Unlimited budget... that seems like a contradiction, unless talking about the "budget" for Iraq spending, which will probably reach a number not comprehensible by humans by 2010.

But I digress, I'd go for an indirect attack on them. Since so many anti-gun people are also pro-invasion, I'd buy Mexico, then do whatever it takes to make it a decent U.S. state or territory (up-to-code infrastructure, institutions, and with a fully armed outer perimeter). I'd have mandatory English/citizenship/assimiliation classes for all, and then sell it to the U.S. for $0.01 with the proviso that the future or current invaders (or if it's a job they won't do - ha ha - American workers are welcome at whatever wage they want to be paid) need to help build the new state/territory first at double U.S. federal minimum wage, and when all is said and done, all former Mexican residents and citizens will be given U.S. citizenship (and the same minimum wage/tax requirements - most important to destroy the black market, and habit of loitering in Home Despot parking lots), and then can freely move about the U.S. portion of the continent.

I could only hope this would drive these anti-gun officials to exile or worse since their non-cooperation would expose them as traitors who are in violation of their oaths of office, which typically include, "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic..." who would rather America be invaded than peacefully expanded in a way that doesn't involve essentially consequence-free amnesty.

P.S. This is my 100th subscribed thread.

gcrtkd
09-26-2007, 6:40 PM
Hey Guys--

I was driving to work the other day thinking about this thread and I started wondering why we CalGunners don't take full advantage of the power of the internet to further our strong beliefs in personal responsibility and the 2nd Ammendment and begin a series of audio and video podcasts to further the cause. It is mentioned above that with an unlimited budget we would like to do things like start radio and television advertising campaigns and get our message out there. We don't actually have to have a lot of money to do this. All that this "Army of Davids" needs is a little technological know-how, some relatively inexpensive equipment, free time, and a coherent message and strategy to drive the movement forward. I've watched the videos both pro and anti-2A on YouTube, and I've found firearms-related podcasts on iTunes, but we could make our own Internet-Free California (a la Radio Free Europe) to strengthen our community and make our message heard. We all know what sorts of topics we should talk about... just about everything in http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=70244 needs to be covered. We should begin by setting the stage and getting the message out about the Supreme Court decisions that say that the police have no responsibility to protect any individual. Then we should move on to discuss how, as time went on, the tools and thus the right to defend ourselves have been legislated away. Moving on, we should go on to deliver the message that the only system that makes any sense is one in which we, as individuals, take responsibility for our actions and for our protection and the protection of our families and property.

A couple of notes of caution however... Firstly, we must be careful not to come off as the "crazy" trigger-happy killers that anti-gun people think us to be. We should dress/speak as the responsible, professional, citizens we are and we should emphasize that guns are simply a facet of our lives (be they for duck hunting, keeping the government responsible to the people, for law enforcement, paper target shooting, etc., etc.), rather than our sole purpose for being.

We should definitely focus our message on a few things: 1) Keeping and bearing arms is a fundamental right of Americans recognized, not granted, by the Constitution; 2) Guns save lives. and 3) Gun laws don't work because criminals don't follow them and they make criminals out of the good guys. We can do this by clearly explaining the origins of the Second Amendment and inviting Constitutional scholars to participate in the discussion. We must be careful to be open-minded and never to show even the appearance of impropriety, as this runs contrary to the level of responsibility we all demand of gun owners.

I look forward to hearing any other suggestions or comments. I think that this could really be a great tool that CA gunners to further the cause.

Thoughts? Comments? Kudos?
-gcrtkd

CavTrooper
09-26-2007, 6:49 PM
Thats a great idea! It would be nice to see something like this get off the ground.

bulgron
09-26-2007, 6:57 PM
Thoughts? Comments? Kudos?
-gcrtkd

I think this is an excellent idea. All it takes is some investment in time and a little technical know-how.

While we're on the subject, I wonder if we can't use the internet to our advantage in another way. One of the big reasons given for not pushing for ballot initiatives is the cost to gather the signatures. The thinking is that we'd have to pay professional signature gatherers in order to get enough signatures to make it on the ballot.

But what if we pre-organized the signatures? That is, try to get, say, 800,000 people to agree to sign the initiative in advance of actually starting the initiative process. Then, once we've hit the magical number of people who say they're willing to sign, start the process, then send email to all those people telling them when and where they should go to sign the thing.

It would cut down on our expenses considerably.

A ballot initiative, even if it fails, is a great way to force public discussion of the issues we care about. CCW, the AW ban, microstamping, a lack of a RKBA provision in the state constitution, you name it and we could go for it, if we were organized enough to bypass all the initial hairy costs that seem to be the big barrier to these things.

Seems like the sort of thing we could do as a part of "Radio Free California."

Thoughts?

Bizcuits
09-26-2007, 7:04 PM
I would locate persons who had been denied CCW's and pay to have each person file their own seperate suit against their county / city for discrimination. I would also encourage others to apply for their CCW's and upon their denials, I would happily pay for their own seperate legal fees.

I would also pay honest gun owners $15-20 an hour to camp in front the homes of every non-ccw Sheriffs or Chiefs private home. Picket, Picket, Picket.

artherd
09-26-2007, 7:22 PM
I'd purchase and import one of the first OLLs :D

The Brit
09-27-2007, 8:05 AM
Ok, hypothetical situation, just for Sunday fun.
Suppose you are granted an unlimited budget to do with whatever you wish, however whatever you do must be 100% legal and specifically designed to antagonize any and all law makers and law enforcement who are anti-gun.

I've fantasized about this in the past. My thoughts have always drifted to a large "Cash n Carry" Gun Supermart in downtown Berkeley or Santa Cruz.

CavTrooper
09-27-2007, 9:32 AM
With a fairly unlimited budget right now, all I do is buy, build and stockpile.

Daddy? I was wondering where you were!

ibanezfoo
09-27-2007, 1:55 PM
I'd make a massive marketing campaign to push this cool document I read once... I think it was called The Constitution.... or something like that. I'd squeeze it into every TV show, reality show, schoolbook, billboard, blimp, webpage, and radio show I could. Need to make this thing popular again!

-Bryan

N6ATF
09-27-2007, 11:26 PM
I already have a "happiness is a belt-fed weapon" sticker on my truck. The soccer moms just hate it and it reduces tailgaters. With a fairly unlimited budget right now, all I do is buy, build and stockpile.

'belt-fed' might be wasted print for most people...