PDA

View Full Version : Fixing the 10 day wait

CavTrooper
09-23-2007, 8:10 AM
Why is there still a ten day wait for peopple who already own firearms? Wasnt the ten day wait sold as a "cooling off" period, so people didnt walk in, buy a gun, and go kill someone in the same day? If thats the case, why should someone who already owns firearms be subjected to the ten day wait, isnt that just wasting everyones time, the state, the dealer and the customer? Could it be shown that the ten day wait for people who already own firearms is costing the state extra money that could be better spent elsewhere? Or that its subjecting the dealer or customer to some kind of reasonable situations?
How would someone go about attempting to change this part of the law? Who would you talk to, what would need to be done?
Something Im curious about.

lawnrevenge
09-23-2007, 8:17 AM
I also have wondered this. I mean, why not have a optional card that you get after your 1st 10 day wait that you just present with your I.D. get an instant B.G. check and leave with your gun?

BrianK_73
09-23-2007, 8:51 AM
I also have wondered this. I mean, why not have a optional card that you get after your 1st 10 day wait that you just present with your I.D. get an instant B.G. check and leave with your gun?

Don't accept anything less than shall issue style CCW laws and then work to get your CCW accepted as an on the spot NCIS check/waiting period nullifier.

Short of that, work to reduce the number of days in the waiting period. Maybe go from 10 to 7 to start with. It would suck to pay for something and then have some jackass tell you that you had to wait to take it home.

Don't come up with something that some politician is going to turn into an FOID card like they have in IL.

EastBayRidge
09-23-2007, 8:53 AM
You're looking for logic in the one place you're least likely to find it...

VegasND
09-23-2007, 8:57 AM
Don't accept anything less than shall issue style CCW laws and then work to get your CCW accepted as an on the spot NCIS check/waiting period nullifier.

Short of that, work to reduce the number of days in the waiting period. Maybe go from 10 to 7 to start with. It would suck to pay for something and then have some jackass tell you that you had to wait to take it home.

Don't come up with something that some politician is going to turn into an FOID card like they have in IL.

YES. Here in Clark County, NV there is a 72 hour hold on handguns. Handguns come with a 'blue card' that shows ownership and registration. There is a $25 tribute to the authorities. After you've bought one handgun and been given your card, you no longer have to wait. The fee still applies. If you have are licensed for concealed carry, the fee is waived. The whole card thing is just another tax on a small segment of society. To prove it's bogus, just move here, take your handgun to the police, and get your blue card for free! BTW- with a Clark County address and no blue card, the police steal your handgun. (I meant that-confiscation IS theft)

tyrist
09-23-2007, 9:20 AM
10 days are still needed. Somebody could have committed an act of domestic violence. If they are arrested all their guns are booked for safe keeping. If they flee the scene prior to law enforcement arriving their guns are booked for safe keeping. Without the wait they could go out buy another gun and use it before their background was updated. They could be the subject of a domestic violence restraining order and therefore uneligible to own firearms but without the wait it could go undetected.

The waiting period is hardly something any of us should waste our time with. You have to pick your battles.

CavTrooper
09-23-2007, 9:32 AM
I dont belive 10 days are needed for anything.
In GA, I walk in, pick a gun, fill out the 4473, show my CCW, pay for the gun, walk out. No wait.
In KY, same thing except they call in the background check, 5 extra minutes.
Its the pretty much the same in every other state, so why would would you "need" the 10 day wait?
We are fully aware of how the antis are working, chipping away at our rights, and how effective it is, yet people are saying we need the "all or nothing" approach to win back our rights? We need to learn from the enemy, use thier tactics againt them, they are effective and they are working against us. Chip away from every direction, theres plenty of places we can be effective.
Or we can sit around and wait for someone else to do it for us....

Anthonysmanifesto
09-23-2007, 10:37 AM

Well, This is already cooking in peoples minds. (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/sen/sb_0301-0350/sb_327_bill_20070216_introduced.html)

will it result in a waiting period exemption or deletion? that is the key.

this one could not be moved this year. Im sure it will be tossed around in future years are merged into another bill.

virulosity
09-23-2007, 11:07 AM
I think 3 days would accomplish the same thing. And also whats up with 1 handgun per 30.

CavTrooper
09-23-2007, 11:19 AM
5 minutes!
It generally takes 5 minutes for the FFL to run your background check. Anything more is just to kick you in the nuts.
Other than determining you are legally able to purchase a firearm, there should be no other obligation imposed on the FFL. Your mental state (unless you are obviously unstable, at which point the dealer can "reserve the right to refuse service") is of no concern to the dealer.
I would it equate it to liquor sales, no one does a background check to make sure you arent an alchoholic, that you have no previous DUI or other alchohol related convictions, and even if you do, you can still buy alchohol anywhere you want without scrutiny.
Doest alchohol kill more people than firearms?
Isnt alchohol regulated by the same federal agency that handles firearms?
I belive someone smarter than me can make something happen here if they were so inclinded

bulgron
09-23-2007, 11:53 AM
The 10 day wait is necessary.

Guns are inherently evil, and are capable of making sane people become spontaneously violent. By having a 10 day wait for each and every firearm purchase, the gun owner is able to mentally steel himself for the psychological and spiritual rigors of owning his next firearm.

In fact, the psychic damage of owning firearms is cumulative, as studies have shown. By adding additional waiting time for each death-spitter purchased, the unfortunate future victim of the suicide-enabler has more of a chance to brace himself, or even (happy! happy! joy! joy!) regain his senses and refuse possession of the evil machine of death. Advanced research and statistical analysis performed by leading experts in the field of firearm psychosis shows that for every child-slayer purchased beyond the initial instrument of rampaging slaughter, an additional 3 day wait is required to prevent the helpless soul from becoming the mass-murdering zombie that he is at risk of becoming. Thus, for the first flesh-ripper purchased, a 10 day wait is necessary. For the second, 13 days. For the third, 16 days. And, of course, anything after that is grounds for involuntary commitment to the conveniently-located mental health facility of choice.

The only exception to this rule are, of course, our police officers who are true and gallant and who exist to protect us all from the evil guns. Heros to us all, they and they alone can forgo the waiting period as the special metal in their badges shields their minds and their hearts from the corrosive affects of daily interaction with these racist soul-ripping tools of mayhem and genocide.

</sarcasm>

:smartass:

N6ATF
09-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Bahaha.

Shane916
09-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I'd like to point out it's a lot easier to kill a lot of people with other means otherwise firearms.

We all have the capabilities of going out and purchasing vehicles..
We all have the capabilities of going out and purchasing the items to make bombs..

10 day wait on those? I think not? The damage of those is far greater then that of a some firearms. yet here we are.. waiting 10 days to pick up a firearm..

Josh3239
09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
Not to mention knives, bats, or anything else that could be used as a weapon.

MedSpec65
09-23-2007, 12:05 PM
10 days are still needed. Somebody could have committed an act of domestic violence. If they are arrested all their guns are booked for safe keeping. If they flee the scene prior to law enforcement arriving their guns are booked for safe keeping. Without the wait they could go out buy another gun and use it before their background was updated. They could be the subject of a domestic violence restraining order and therefore uneligible to own firearms but without the wait it could go undetected.

The waiting period is hardly something any of us should waste our time with. You have to pick your battles.Good point, but why should the majority of law-abiding gun owners be burdened with the issue of a handful of restraining orders filed in a county every month? Restraining orders are electronically transmitted to the surrounding LE Agencies of the respondent's location. This info could be easily transmitted to all FFL's in the area, or throughout the State.

bwiese
09-23-2007, 12:07 PM
There are many other areas of CA DWCL that should be 'fixed', addressed, etc. before the 10 day wait.
Sure it's inconvenient, but folks, we've got PRIORITIES here. If it gets fixed as the result of something else being tweaked, great).

At least at the end of 10 days you get your gun(s).

CCWFacts
09-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Of all the laws in CA, this is the one that matters the least and should be the absolute bottom priority, in my opinion. I mean, really, we're all grown-ups, we can wait for our toys.

And yeah, I know that a lot of liberals in LA were really upset when they discovered, on April 29th, 1992, about this 10 day wait. To me, that one fact alone makes the waiting period worth it. "You mean, I have to wait to pick up my gun? Can't you see on the news, I need it right now!" "Sorry, you voted for gun banners, you have to wait, if there are fifty angry people outside your house wanting to burn it down tonight, dial 911!"

Success in life is about being prepared. We should all have prepared by a) having regular professional training and practice starting at age 18 (or earlier) b) owning a gun and practicing it long before there is a threat c) being NRA members and being active to defend our rights well in advance. The 10-day waiting period is a penalty on people who don't do those things, and I say, screw 'em. I like the 10 day waiting period for that reason.

CavTrooper
09-23-2007, 12:39 PM
Im actually kind of amazed at the reaction.

Yeah, this may not be the "top priority" for some but very little bit helps right?

The enemy is chipping away at our rights, a tiny bit at a time, getting them back in the same manner seems like it would be a reasonable task to undertake.

"Death by 1000 cuts" or some stuff like that, right?

VegasND
09-23-2007, 12:43 PM
April 29th, 1992

I was living/working in AZ when those riots occurred. I remember the TV news reporting upset people who couldn't take handguns home with them due to the waiting period in CA.

At work the next day we all had a pretty good laugh over that backfiring on people who probably supported it. We figured that most people who didn't support the waiting period were already prudently armed.

CCWFacts
09-23-2007, 12:47 PM
CavTrooper, as I said, success in life is about being prepared. Success in life is also about being able to prioritize and focus on what is important. The waiting period only harms liberals who suddenly need to buy a gun when decades of social programs and gun control fail catastrophically.

tyrist
09-23-2007, 1:00 PM
Temporary domestic violence restraining orders do not go into the computer system as fast as you might think. Eitherway without a waiting period people who are not legally allowed to own firearms would beable to acquire them. Although the domestic violence situation is the only real reason to have the wait.

Also police officers are not exempt from the 10 day wait unless the agency head signs a letter. They are only exempt from the one handgun per 30 days.

Anthonysmanifesto
09-23-2007, 1:06 PM
The waiting period, as it is, will go away.

not tomorrow though.It will be a few more years and in a package of other stuff.

I think the comments about prioritizing is only that its understood to be archaic, but the majority party has no incentive at this time. The cover they need is still a few years off.

Im suggesting that hammering on it , wont get us anywhere today, but Im optimistic that it will be dramatically reduced in the coming years.

someone just needs to draw the nexus between a few existing ideas that are already in print, such as AB 1105 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_1101-1150/ab_1105_bill_20070329_amended_asm_v98.pdf), SB 327 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/sen/sb_0301-0350/sb_327_bill_20070328_amended_sen_v98.html) and AB 362 (http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/postquery?bill_number=ab_362&sess=CUR&house=B&author=de_leon)

the 10 day wait is functionally outdated and it presence is a bit insulting and inconvenient to lawful consumers, but it doesnt require a huge calorie burn at the moment.

I think the above bills are dots that need to be connected...

EastBayRidge
09-23-2007, 1:45 PM
"To me, that one fact alone makes the waiting period worth it."

Talk about making lemonade from a lemon... :p

DRM6000
09-23-2007, 2:05 PM
And also whats up with 1 handgun per 30.

an attempt to curb straw purchases

N6ATF
09-24-2007, 12:14 AM
Of all the laws in CA, this is the one that matters the least and should be the absolute bottom priority, in my opinion. I mean, really, we're all grown-ups, we can wait for our toys.

And yeah, I know that a lot of liberals in LA were really upset when they discovered, on April 29th, 1992, about this 10 day wait. To me, that one fact alone makes the waiting period worth it. "You mean, I have to wait to pick up my gun? Can't you see on the news, I need it right now!" "Sorry, you voted for gun banners, you have to wait, if there are fifty angry people outside your house wanting to burn it down tonight, dial 911!"

Success in life is about being prepared. We should all have prepared by a) having regular professional training and practice starting at age 18 (or earlier) b) owning a gun and practicing it long before there is a threat c) being NRA members and being active to defend our rights well in advance. The 10-day waiting period is a penalty on people who don't do those things, and I say, screw 'em. I like the 10 day waiting period for that reason.

Never thought about it that way 'til now.

lawnrevenge
09-24-2007, 4:53 PM
We all have the capabilities of going out and purchasing vehicles..
We all have the capabilities of going out and purchasing the items to make bombs..

You're so right!
I propose a 10 day waiting period for buying cars, diesel fuel, fertilizer. Also with a required background check since cars kill more people than guns.

stator
09-24-2007, 5:44 PM
Temporary domestic violence restraining orders do not go into the computer system as fast as you might think. Eitherway without a waiting period people who are not legally allowed to own firearms would beable to acquire them. Although the domestic violence situation is the only real reason to have the wait.

Also police officers are not exempt from the 10 day wait unless the agency head signs a letter. They are only exempt from the one handgun per 30 days.

This is about the most stupidest point to debate that I've seen on Calguns since about the inception of the forum.

The delay in temporary domestic violence RO's are the reason why there should not be a wait. The violent person subjected to a RO's will be violent and kill no matter what. The person who becomes the victim can least afford the ten day wait.