PDA

View Full Version : Looking for reloading help.

Thedomsaww
02-08-2013, 7:12 AM
Edit: So i am just curious but i was wondering if anybody would be interested in showing me how to reload 308? I do not have my own machine so i would be looking to use yours. I would obviously buy or pay you for the supplies (bullets primers powder).

Is this something anyone would be interested in? I could either pay you or supply beer and pizza.

I am very interested in reloading but dont have the funds to get started yet.

I have around 100 rounds of brass give or take 20

Thanks guys!

Located in Riverside CA
willing to travel to OC or SD

AAShooter
02-08-2013, 7:18 AM
It sounds like you are interested in having someone show you how to reload .308. You best bet is to find someone who will coach you through reloading it on their reloader.

You chance of success will go up if you let people know where you are located so if they are willing and close they can get a hold of you.

joelogic
02-08-2013, 7:28 AM
Most people wont load ammo for you. It seems everyone in this forum is liability shy.

Sub95
02-08-2013, 7:32 AM
Location?

There are alot of reloaders that would help "you" reaload them.

Thedomsaww
02-08-2013, 8:46 AM
Sorry location would have helped lol
I am located in Riverside, but would be willing to travel to SD or OC.

"It sounds like you are interested in having someone show you how to reload .308. You best bet is to find someone who will coach you through reloading it on their reloader."

That would be awesome if they would help me through using their reloader. I just figured that they wouldnt want others using their stuff.

i will edit the OP asking that instead :) thank you

AAShooter
02-08-2013, 9:13 AM
You do know you are playing a very dangerous game. You do this and you get the bug. Then before you know it, you are dropping $1000 on reloading equipment and supplies to save money. Run away, run away! lol

Thedomsaww
02-08-2013, 11:55 AM
lol ya i know just the thought of making my own ammo is exciting enough.

SARC_Mike
02-09-2013, 5:05 AM
You do know you are playing a very dangerous game. You do this and you get the bug. Then before you know it, you are dropping $1000 on reloading equipment and supplies to save money. Run away, run away! lol

I wish I stopped at $1000!
Although right now its kind of nice, no where has anything in stock, so I am saving a lot of money. Just not making any ammo.....:(

spamsucker
02-09-2013, 5:42 AM
Just take the plunge and get yourself a Lee Anniversary kit and a set of dies and a micrometer and start learning. There's a thousand videos on Youtube with basic instructions, the kits come with instructions too. When you're done watching and reading those and you have your supplies, then grab a mentor and go to town. No sense tenderfooting around an inevitability. Teaching newbs is fine, teaching newbs that wont buy equipment is irritating.

50BMGBOB
02-09-2013, 1:21 PM
I am up north, but teaching a newbie is fine and they get to decide if it is worth the time to reload. Reloading can save money but it does take time. Equipment adds up and when there is a rush on ammo, components dry up too. I always tell people to figure out why they want to reload. High volume shooters, match shooters get the most out of it. Low volume, not so much. Also if time is tighter than money do you want to shoot or reload? Most who reload really don't save any money, they just get to shoot more with the money they have to spend. Of course some fine reloading to be a hobby unto it self. I enjoy reloading but not as much as shooting.

AAShooter
02-09-2013, 4:42 PM
I am up north, but teaching a newbie is fine and they get to decide if it is worth the time to reload. Reloading can save money but it does take time. Equipment adds up and when there is a rush on ammo, components dry up too. I always tell people to figure out why they want to reload. High volume shooters, match shooters get the most out of it. Low volume, not so much. Also if time is tighter than money do you want to shoot or reload? Most who reload really don't save any money, they just get to shoot more with the money they have to spend. Of course some fine reloading to be a hobby unto it self. I enjoy reloading but not as much as shooting.

Great comments. I tell people, don't reload to save money. If that is your sole reason, it is just work. But many enjoy it as a hobby on it's own. People into reloading never seem to end up saving money, they just shoot a whole lot more.

ar15barrels
02-10-2013, 8:46 PM
i was wondering if anybody would be interested in showing me how to reload 308? I do not have my own machine so i would be looking to use yours. I would obviously buy or pay you for the supplies (bullets primers powder).

I have around 100 rounds of brass give or take 20

I can teach you to reload on my equipment.
I am in the San Fernando valley.

AAShooter
02-11-2013, 5:40 AM
I can teach you to reload on my equipment.
I am in the San Fernando valley.

What a great offer.

Full Clip
02-11-2013, 5:45 AM

Yeah, but if you buy good gear, it will last virtually forever and even holds some value.
I've probably got $1,200 worth of gear and another $2K in materials, but ended up with $10K in me-made ammo.

RandyD
02-11-2013, 6:35 AM
I'll just second what others have said.

Reloading equipment does not depreciate. It is a good investment. It is also a fun hobby. YouTube is a great resource in learning how to reload. If I were new to reloading, I would take up ar15barrels on his offer. It would be worth the drive.

bootcamp
02-11-2013, 6:50 AM
Get a RCBS rock chucker, RCBS dies, RCBS trimmer, RCBS or 505 scale, Lyman hand reamer/deburr tool, a Lyman tumbler and a manual and you'll be set for reloading 308. Budget about $400-500 new, less for used.

Don't start reloading until you have the funds. Just my opinion.

I don't suggest reloading 308 on a progressive. 308 is a precision round and components are expensive enough that each round should be assembled with precision in mind. That is why I suggest reloading on a single stage RCBS rock chucker. Unless of course you landed yourself a bunch of cheap 147gr projectiles, free brass and will be shooting them out of a semi auto like it's going out of style; or you're just plain rich, splurge and get yourself a progressive Dillon for $1000+

Thedomsaww
02-11-2013, 7:10 AM
Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I want to reload to shoot more and also because i feel like it is essential to being a well rounded gun hobbyist. I am fairly new to the hobby as i purchased my first weapon back in october. But since then i have been bitten buy the bug and want to try everything and learn all that i can.

@ar15barrels

"I can teach you to reload on my equipment.
I am in the San Fernando valley."
Thank you for your offer! i have another member a little closer to me that has offered to do the same.
Thank you all for your support and help!!

echo6cavedog
02-11-2013, 7:16 AM
RCBS is has a Bucks or Bullets (http://sporting.myonlinerebate.com/08559/)promotion going all this year. Buy $50 in equipment and get 100 free bullets or $10 rebate. Buy $300 in equipment and get 500 free bullets or $50 cash. I figure free 9mm bullets for me :)

sdkevin
02-11-2013, 4:08 PM
If you are LEO or military, Titan Precision has a discount. I've not totaled my receipts for a damn good reason, like my cars.. and I shop for deals. I just may squeek by at $1k. Hardcore DIY guy here so reloading was eminent.

Put the web to work for you, watch "package" prices.

As for the resalevalue - just try to find used equipment that is still usable. ;)

Thedomsaww
02-12-2013, 9:56 AM
Hurd good things about rcbs stuff prolly gunna ask for the rcbs kit for my birthday in june... if i dont break down and buy it before then.