PDA

View Full Version : Question about tracer bullets

FF/EMT Nick
02-07-2013, 5:11 PM
OK, here is my question......

If I found 1000 55 gr Lake City 223 M196 Red Tip tracers, pulled and ready to reload, would it be legal to have those in California? I know you cant shoot them here, but as long as there not loaded into brass with powder and primers in place, I should be good right? Or is it illegal to even posses them in this state? :confused:

Sheldon
02-07-2013, 5:36 PM
I believe possesion is illegal....felony for EACH one or something like that.........

Divernhunter
02-07-2013, 5:36 PM
I would not want to be caught with the loaded ammo. I think having them is illegal in any form. Others may know better.

Sabby
02-07-2013, 5:37 PM
12301. (a) The term "destructive device," as used in this chapter,
shall include any of the following weapons:
(1) Any projectile containing any explosive or incendiary material
or any other chemical substance, including, but not limited to, that
which is commonly known as tracer or incendiary ammunition, except
tracer ammunition manufactured for use in shotguns.

12303. Any person, firm, or corporation who, within this state,
possesses any destructive device, other than fixed ammunition of a
caliber greater than .60 caliber, except as provided by this chapter,
is guilty of a public offense and upon conviction thereof shall be
punished by imprisonment in the county jail for a term not to exceed
one year, or in state prison, or by a fine not to exceed ten thousand
dollars ($10,000) or by both such fine and imprisonment.

Rickrock1
02-07-2013, 5:38 PM
Don't do it SGAmmo has tons of them. Big F

Divernhunter
02-07-2013, 5:45 PM
Also the tracer compound is corrosive so you will need to clean accordly after shooting any tracer bullets.

stilly
02-07-2013, 6:23 PM
Oh now that is ****ing GAY...

I thought it was just illegal to hmmm. Illegal/ against policies to shoot them at certain places but seriously, to OWN?

WTF. Little stupid **** like that I never bothered to look at. So now I have to watch what ammo I buy? Oh what a load of horse ****...

Thanks for the education.

Hmmm. Wait a second. So then I need to look at that ammo belt. Oh wait, nevermind, it is blanks. LoL. I was gonna say, I thought they load ammo belts with 1 tracer each 5 rounds. But my rambo ammo belt is just a big long set of blanks.

Still, even tracer tips are illegal to own even if NOT loaded into ammo, but just sitting around talking about the good ole days when CA used to be cool??

3006mv
02-07-2013, 6:28 PM
If I found 1000 55 gr Lake City 223 M196 Red Tip tracers, pulled and ready to

so where'd you find these?:D

i guess you could just scrape the compound out of 1000 bullet ends make a nice pile and light that shat up!
then load up the now bare bullets.

kurac
02-07-2013, 6:42 PM
yeah, each projectile would be one count, so you could do like a thousand years unless you make a plea deal, take whatever they offer :)

nothing4u
02-07-2013, 6:43 PM
The bullets are still usable. Setoff the tracer compound with something like a propane torch, use proper safety equipment. It's awesome that you have them in a state other than California where you can legally possess them.

cycle61
02-07-2013, 8:55 PM
Every time I drive through Oregon, I stop a the Cabela's in Springfield. There, sitting on the shelf, right in the open, is a stack of Federal Tracer ammo.

I don't even HAVE an AR-15 that shoots 5.56, and I want a box of this stuff.

Freckin' California. :mad:

alfred1222
02-07-2013, 9:00 PM
Oh now that is ****ing GAY...

I thought it was just illegal to hmmm. Illegal/ against policies to shoot them at certain places but seriously, to OWN?

WTF. Little stupid **** like that I never bothered to look at. So now I have to watch what ammo I buy? Oh what a load of horse ****...

Thanks for the education.

Hmmm. Wait a second. So then I need to look at that ammo belt. Oh wait, nevermind, it is blanks. LoL. I was gonna say, I thought they load ammo belts with 1 tracer each 5 rounds. But my rambo ammo belt is just a big long set of blanks.

Still, even tracer tips are illegal to own even if NOT loaded into ammo, but just sitting around talking about the good ole days when CA used to be cool??

Yup, each one is a felony as well. Personally I see them as useless unless you're using them to direct a whole squads fire at one target. Other than that, all they do is give up your position.

so where'd you find these?:D

i guess you could just scrape the compound out of 1000 bullet ends make a nice pile and light that shat up!
then load up the now bare bullets.

Burn it off individually

Laddy
02-07-2013, 9:03 PM
yeah, each projectile would be one count, so you could do like a thousand years unless you make a plea deal, take whatever they offer :)

Don't be a cheap ***, just pay the $10,000,000 fine and say "good day sir" :)