PDA

View Full Version : 922r clarification

Socal Patriot
09-22-2007, 8:52 AM
Sorry if this has been asked but I could not find it.

I have read 922r and as I understand it, it prevents you from piecing together a gun that is prohibited from being imported to the US.

How does this affect replacing parts on guns that are allowed for importation, spefically SKS's?

I have an M59 SKS and want to replace the stock to a Tapco stock. Tapco site says thier stocks count for 3 parts under 922r.

Thank you.

Sal
09-22-2007, 8:57 AM
when a pistol grip/telescoping stock is added to the SKS, it falls under 922r "military style" rifles, and no longer classifies as a sporting style, and would then need to have fewer than 10 of the listed imported parts.

lawnrevenge
09-22-2007, 9:06 AM
http://www.simonov.net/uberlaw.htm

Rascal
09-22-2007, 12:56 PM
when a pistol grip/telescoping stock is added to the SKS, it falls under 922r "military style" rifles, and no longer classifies as a sporting style, and would then need to have fewer than 10 of the listed imported parts.

Actually it falls under "Non-sporting" features of imported weapons , which you can not import into the U.S.A. Only weapons that are made in the U.S.A. can have "Non-sporting" features, and the feds defined what parts made up the weapon and how many of these specific parts had to be U.S.A. made, in order to be considered a made in U.S.A. weapon.
Here is a more up to date link that will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about our beloved SKS type rifles. Survivors SKS-FAQ (http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html)

Dr. Peter Venkman
09-22-2007, 5:07 PM
Pretty much what it is is that the high and mighty ATF has decided that by changing a counted part on your SKS makes it "non-sporting", whatever crap reasoning that may be. So when you replace a part that is 'counted', such as your stock, the number of imported and counted parts needs to be less than ten. So when you replace the stock, you need to replace other counted parts that are made in the U.S.A. so that your SKS has 10 or less imported parts.

So, to replace the stock, you are also going to need to replace something such as the handguard, the gas piston, et cetera.

Socal Patriot
09-22-2007, 6:11 PM
Thank you all. The information has been very helpfull.

wash
09-24-2007, 10:09 AM
With the sunset of the AWB, I wonder what is prohibited from import?

I just bought a PS90, it says made in Belgium. I don't think I'll use it for hunting any time soon.

I have a sneaking suspicion that 922(r) and the barrel/reciever import ban are bogus but I would need a lawyer to explain it to me.