PDA

View Full Version : So how are people who live with their parents suppose to buy a handgun?

Roo
09-22-2007, 3:04 AM
I live with my parents so I have no utility bills and my cars registration is not in my name... What documents can I use to purchase a hand gun? I don't have any credit card bills either... What can I take tomorrow to buy a handgun?

Roo
09-22-2007, 3:10 AM
'Acceptable documentation includes a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, auto registration, a property deed,or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within California.'

So I don't have any utilitie bills.
I don't lease any property
No auto registration
and I don't own any property and I am not in the military...

stevie
09-22-2007, 3:40 AM
'Acceptable documentation includes a utility bill from within the last three months, a residential lease, auto registration, a property deed,or military permanent duty station orders indicating assignment within California.'

No auto registration

Have your parents draw up a lease agreement.

MadMex
09-22-2007, 5:29 AM
Voter registration card?

tankerman
09-22-2007, 5:33 AM
Please read the response I got from the DOJ about proof of residency. Towards the bottom she refers to a solution for your dilemma.

Dear Mr. --------: In regard to your e-mail inquiry, as long as the Z card contains all of the following, it would be an acceptable form of proof of residency: "A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto." Another form of proof of residency you could do is have your wife write up a contract/agreement stating that you live with her (it would have to include your name and the address would have to match the address on your ID or DROS form). Should you have any further questions, you may contact the Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887. Sincerely, Leslie McGovern, Analyst Bureau of Firearms

The SoCal Gunner
09-22-2007, 9:10 AM
Print out a residential lease agreement that you find online and fill it out between yourself and your parents. Fill it out to your needs. That is what I used until I moved to my own place.

Ratters
09-22-2007, 9:24 AM
Well, instead of spending the money on a Dester Eagle you can man up and move out of your parents house. ;)

Just do the lease agreement. You can find them online or at Staples.

Wulf
09-22-2007, 9:31 AM
Since they're paying for everything else, why not just have them buy the shotgun too?

timmy8151
09-22-2007, 9:38 AM
When I lived at home I used my C&R FFL.

ivanimal
09-22-2007, 9:44 AM
Well, instead of spending the money on a Dester Eagle you can man up and move out of your parents house. ;)

Ratters we all know you live in a garage so don't throw stones.:p

I agree the leas agreement is the way to go. I will start doing the garbage bill in my sons name soon he will need to build credit anyhow. I should get a credit card in his name and use it as well.:cool:

Quiet
09-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Have your parents buy it and then gift it to you? :p

"A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
A. The individual's current residential address as declared on the Dealer's Record of Sale (DROS) form.
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto."
I've had a CA FFL dealer tell me you can use a non-resident CCW permit (NV for example), since it's issued by a governent agency, has an expiration date and has your CA address on it.
I've also been told (by people working at Turner's) a non-resident CCW permit is not acceptable since it's not issued by CA.

Anyone know if you really can use a non-resident CCW permit as proof of residency or not?

isitkool
09-22-2007, 11:13 AM
Where are you doing the DROS?

gn3hz3ku1*
09-22-2007, 11:14 AM
i think the main question is how are people who live with their parents suppose to get a cute gf like yours...

Roo
09-22-2007, 12:02 PM

I have over over $40k saved and when the house market is right i will buy a house. Renting is a waste of money.

Trying to do the rent agreement but it has to be notarized.

NeoWeird
09-22-2007, 12:57 PM
I have over over $40k saved and when the house market is right i will buy a house. Renting is a waste of money.

Trying to do the rent agreement but it has to be notarized.

Most parcel stores, like UPS stores, have a notary on hand. My local UPS store did my CMP notarization for $10 and took all of about 5 minutes. Just have everything filled out but the signature, walk in and the person is usually free, and they get their notary kit and watch you sign the papers. They then stamp it and mark that they witnessed you stamp it on the specified date and you give them the money and go on your way.

I had the benifit of being able to sign it, get it notarized, drop it in the envelope, and then send it on it's way all from the same location. Too bad you have to walk in with yours.

Smokeybehr
09-22-2007, 12:58 PM
Please read the response I got from the DOJ about proof of residency. Towards the bottom she refers to a solution for your dilemma.

Dear Mr. --------: In regard to your e-mail inquiry, as long as the Z card contains all of the following, it would be an acceptable form of proof of residency: "A current, government-issued (city, county, special district, state, or federal) license, permit, or registration, other than a California Driver License or California Identification Card, that has a specified expiration date or period of validity. The license, permit, or registration must bear the individual's name and either of the following:
B. The individual's address as it appears on his or her California Driver License or California Identification Card, or change of address attachment thereto."

Well, my Amateur Radio license will take care of that, since it's a current, (Federal) government issued license that has a specified expiration date.

Roo
09-22-2007, 4:58 PM
Most parcel stores, like UPS stores, have a notary on hand. My local UPS store did my CMP notarization for $10 and took all of about 5 minutes. Just have everything filled out but the signature, walk in and the person is usually free, and they get their notary kit and watch you sign the papers. They then stamp it and mark that they witnessed you stamp it on the specified date and you give them the money and go on your way.

I had the benifit of being able to sign it, get it notarized, drop it in the envelope, and then send it on it's way all from the same location. Too bad you have to walk in with yours.

Thats exactly what I did. Started the DROS today :cool2:

Ratters
09-22-2007, 5:14 PM
Ratters we all know you live in a garage so don't throw stones.:p

I agree the leas agreement is the way to go. I will start doing the garbage bill in my sons name soon he will need to build credit anyhow. I should get a credit card in his name and use it as well.:cool:

Hey, it's only so I can be closer to my guns and motorcycles. ;)

And Roo, renting is not (neccessarily) a waste of money. I've owned and rented and each has their cost and benefits. When owning, you have to pay for EVERYTHING, and you won't believe how many everythings there are. When renting, if there's a problem you call up the property manager and let them deal with it. As for investment, there are many people out there right now finally realizing that a home wasn't the investment they thought it was.

But being a man on your own.... priceless. :D

kris&bela
09-22-2007, 5:18 PM
Since they're paying for everything else, why not just have them buy the shotgun too?

FUNNY...........

Roo
09-22-2007, 5:27 PM
Hey, it's only so I can be closer to my guns and motorcycles. ;)

And Roo, renting is not (neccessarily) a waste of money. I've owned and rented and each has their cost and benefits. When owning, you have to pay for EVERYTHING, and you won't believe how many everythings there are. When renting, if there's a problem you call up the property manager and let them deal with it. As for investment, there are many people out there right now finally realizing that a home wasn't the investment they thought it was.

But being a man on your own.... priceless. :D

Ehh I moved out when I was 18 and after 3 years I realized I just pissed over 30k down the drain. Buying in the house market in the past few years was a bad move, if you couldn't afford the house, signed up for some ridiculous loan, or was looking for an investment. Too many people got hooked on those dumb loans and are paying for it now and that is what I am waiting for. I moved home, saved 10k, put that 10k in Google at $119 a share and now Google is worth over $550 a share... I also maxed out my 401k since I didn't have to pay rent. So now being 24 with almost $40k in the bank, getting a damn nice return on my stock portfolio, and over $20k in my 401k that is also getting a 14% return I would say that beats renting any day. I would much rather be my own man in my own house at 25 when I know what a man is than be living in an apartment at 18 when I have no idea what it means to be a man.

Owning a house in Southern California and not renting....... Priceless

Grouch
09-22-2007, 8:36 PM

No auto registration

Proof of school registration?

Grouch
09-22-2007, 8:38 PM

If you can get a loan. Now is the right time to buy a house.

Roo
09-22-2007, 9:00 PM
If you can get a loan. Now is the right time to buy a house.

Got pre-approved for $385k but the market is still going down..

Roo
09-22-2007, 9:00 PM
Proof of school registration?

Nope they don't take that.

tcp
09-22-2007, 11:29 PM
since when does your rental agreement have to be notarized in order to purchase a gun? i've bought plenty with an agreement that wasnt notorized.

The SoCal Gunner
09-22-2007, 11:54 PM
When did a renter's agreement need to be notarized? Or is that something not like a residential lease agreement?

catsupsam
09-23-2007, 7:41 AM
There is another very simple way to show proof of residence.

When my daughter was living at home, I just called The Gas Company and had them add her name to my gas account.

It's very easy and can be done via phone. You just need to wait for a billing cycle to get the bill with your name on it. But you can go online and print it out as well.

N6ATF
09-23-2007, 11:40 AM
since when does your rental agreement have to be notarized in order to purchase a gun? i've bought plenty with an agreement that wasnt notorized.

Ditto, except replace 'plenty' with 'one'.

Well, my Amateur Radio license will take care of that, since it's a current, (Federal) government issued license that has a specified expiration date.

Not all FFLs will accept a CA DL and a government ID without a picture (their prerogative). I asked if my CA Guard Card would suffice. FFL said no, analyst at the BoF said yes. Ended up using my rental agreement, which all occupants had to sign.

On the ham license, my original callsign had my home address on it. I cancelled it when getting my current vanity sign, on which I put a business address (at which I could pick up mail regularly). For a little while, anyone could have looked up my current call in the FCC ULS, found my previous call listed, looked that up (since cancelled ones still show up in the database), and gone to my home. But I moved since then and I won't be getting any uninvited visitors, as my specific address and apartment is not publicly accessible on the internet.

M1A1TankerTom
09-23-2007, 2:26 PM
I actually just went through this not very long ago...no i dont live with my parents but I did not have any bills in my name due to a recent move.

Anyways, I recently bought a handgun and also had to show proof of residency. I was told by the store owner that the lease agreement can be hand written and does not need any notorization or any kind.

I simply hand wrote a letter saying: I John Doe rent the house at address 123 Alphabet St to M1A1TankerTom. He has rented this house for the last 5 months. If you have any questions please call me at (707)123-4567.

I then had my land lord sign and date the letter. The letter worked no problem with no questions asked and they never even called my landlord to verify. Hope this helps you out.

Roo
09-23-2007, 5:19 PM
They told me it had to be notarized so I just got it done at a UPS Store.

RRangel
09-23-2007, 7:09 PM
Some very good info because I'm sure there are others out there in the same dilemma. I can remember that it didn't look like those that supported this law were overly concerned about this particular problem when it was drafted and then passed through the legislature.

The gun banners want to prevent or discourage anyone and everyone from getting a firearm. When they talk about "reasonable" gun control laws they aren't to be trusted. What's to say they can't amend this law to be more stringent while claiming it's reasonable? Some may brush this off as a mere inconvenience, but we are all witness to the true reality of it. Waiting period aside what if you needed a gun as soon as possible to potentially save your life? Now you have to scramble around to come up with some form of paperwork that isn't required in most free states.
To some keeping guns away from everyone is more important than saving your life should you need a firearm.

AYEAREFIFTEEN
09-23-2007, 7:15 PM
Got pre-approved for $385k but the market is still going down..

Finding a house in Socal for $385K that's not in the sticks would be priceless.

Roo
09-23-2007, 7:37 PM
Finding a house in Socal for $385K that's not in the sticks would be priceless.

4 bedroom 3 bath 1700sqft 7500sqft lot in Alta Loma $390k

E__WOK
09-24-2007, 8:06 PM
Voter registration card?

That's no good.

--------

Do you watch tv? Put your name on the cable bill.

You can also use a jury duty notice dated within 3 months.