PDA

View Full Version : Bullet pullers

3DGearGuy
02-06-2013, 7:46 PM
I've noticed both hornady and rcbs make die mounted collet pullers with a nifty handle to grab a hold of the bullet.

Does anyone have experience with either? Do they leave marks? Ease of use? I'd imagine there isn't much to it other than tighten collet and yank down on the round but I'd like to hear from someone who's tried it and get an idea for how well they work.

On a related note....would one be able to pull bullets from surplus ammo and replace with a range safe projectile of the same weight?

NoNOS67
02-06-2013, 7:56 PM
I've noticed both hornady and rcbs make die mounted collet pullers with a nifty handle to grab a hold of the bullet.

Does anyone have experience with either? Do they leave marks? Ease of use? I'd imagine there isn't much to it other than tighten collet and yank down on the round but I'd like to hear from someone who's tried it and get an idea for how well they work.

On a related note....would one be able to pull bullets from surplus ammo and replace with a range safe projectile of the same weight?

They work well with jacketed bullets. If the original round was crimped, you may have issues seating a new bullet. Never tried it myself, but I'm sure someone here has.

EL_NinO619
02-06-2013, 8:00 PM
I just got the Hornady hammer one after my rcbs broke. The Hornady one is way better, the collet system allows you to drop out the case a projectile with out taking the screw cap off. I have never though about buying a press mounted one since I never plan on making that many mistakes or buying someone's reloads.

m98
02-06-2013, 8:05 PM
Hornady collet puller is the best in my experience. It will pull jacket bullets without damage or markings if setup correctly. And the hornady system is also cheaper than rcbs.

drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
02-06-2013, 8:12 PM

1) I've used both the kinetic and the press mounted RCBS bullet puller. Yes, the press mounted puller will leave marks. You have the right idea on how they work. Even though it leaves marks, as long as the bullet is not seriously deformed (as in mushed), it is still usable. I just wouldn't plan on extremely accurate long range shooting with them.

2) I have done this same thing, pulling FMJ bullets and replacing them with Spitzer soft points of similar (+- 3 grains) weight. In my case, these were surplus 30-06 rounds from WWII. I used a neck sizer die to resize only the neck before seating the new bullet. You have to be very careful not to spill any powder.

That said, just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't bother. The cost/time benefit didn't matter to me at the time; I needed hunting rounds and was dirt poor at the time.

Plus, you want to replace the existing projectiles with range safe projectiles and are concerned about marks on the projectiles you intend to pull? Why the concern? If you intend to reuse the projectiles, why not just leave the rounds alone and purchase the range safe ammo you need? When you reuse the pulled projectiles, they still won't be range safe, will they?

jdmstuff
02-06-2013, 8:14 PM
I use the RCBS puller and like the fact that I don't get powder everywhere. If done carefully, the bullet doesn't get scratched and can be reloaded. I currently have it mounted up to my rock chucker next to my Dillon "just in case."

Bill Steele
02-06-2013, 8:27 PM
I also have the RCBS collet puller. It can be used with no marks on jacketed bullets, but you have to have exact right collet to pull this off. It will not work on most lead (other than the hardest hard cast). This style puller is great if you have a lot to pull.

I also have the RCBS hammer style puller. I use it much more frequently (since I broke down and bought one) than the collet puller. Maybe I am making fewer large batch mistakes these days, who knows. If you have neither, get the hammer style first. If you get the RCBS unit, make sure and get a few of the aluminum collars that is the universal shellholder for them. They break down over time, it is nice to have a spare when one goes south. RCBS will replace anything that breaks though, so you only really need a single extra I guess.

Good luck, have fun.

Vlad 11
02-06-2013, 8:34 PM
I use the RCBS puller. Works great and i dont have any problems with it leaving marks.

If I get a hard to pull bullet, like a crimped or sealed, I just push it inward a tiny amount. This breaks the seal and it then pops right out when pulled.

3DGearGuy
02-06-2013, 10:49 PM
I just don't completely understand how the hammer style pullers work, anyone?

As far as scratching the bullets, I'm not worried about scratching bullets to make range safe ammo, but I figure I'll make mistakes at some point and will have bullets I'll want to pull that I'd reuse.

johnny1290
02-06-2013, 11:14 PM
I bought a hammer style bullet puller. It works fine for jacketed or plated 9mm , but not on lead IIRC.

I loaded up 100 .223 and needed to pull them. It was such a huge PITA I ended up just using pliers. It marked them a bit but if there was any difference in my plinking with them I don't know what it was. Didn't mark as bad as I figured and 100 times faster.

I'll probably just do the same in the future, as that hammering is really for the birds.

jdmstuff
02-06-2013, 11:23 PM

Momentum...

Place the round in one end and strike on a solid surface.

madjack956
02-06-2013, 11:29 PM

As far as scratching the bullets, I'm not worried about scratching bullets to make range safe ammo, but I figure I'll make mistakes at some point and will have bullets I'll want to pull that I'd reuse.

A collet at one end of the hammer holds the round buy its base inside the hollow hammer. You then hammer it on a hard surface like driving a nail and kinetic energy drives the bullet out of the case into the bottom of the hammer along with all your powder. The hammers have a small piece of sponge in them to soften the landing and keeping your bullet pristine.

After using it a few times you get a feel for how hard you need to rap the hammer on the surface to release the bullet.

Divernhunter
02-06-2013, 11:31 PM
I have the RCBS hammer and collet style pullers. I do like what I see in the Hornady collet puller. The RCBS collet press mounted works just fine. I have pulled many a bullet with it. The trick when pulling mil ammo since it is crimped and sealed is to set the collet then push the bullet deeper into the case to break the seal etc then work the handle the other way to remove the bullet. You can seat another bullet but I find it better to pull the bullet and the put the powder into another case that I have run into the resize die just enough to have the expander ball true up the brass. I start by using about 100 of the fired brass and resize and prime them first. After that you will always have ones ready to go. Only need to do 50-100 fired cases.
The hammer type works because the bullet is heavy and when the motion stops the bullet wants to keep going. Thus comes out of the case.

slopoke
02-07-2013, 1:59 AM
I had to disassemble a few hundred .308 rounds. I bought a RCBS collet puller, because I did not want to use my kinetic puller for that amount of rounds. It worked great, no marks on my bullets. If you don't need to pull a bunch, I'd stay with the kinetic (hammer) type. It will accomodate different calibers. The collet pullers are caliber specific and the collets are approx $11 a piece, the collet puller itself is approx $20. Kinetic types are $15-$20.

drkphibr
02-07-2013, 7:01 AM

I use the Hornady puller as well as a kinetic puller. Each for different reasons. Quick one or two bullet removals is usually the kinetic (as long as it's not a SP rifle round as the force on the kinetic tends to mash them a bit). For any volume, it's the Hornady. Very adjustable and precise. Not perfect by any means, but does an excellent job. Collets not available in all sizes, so your mileage may vary.

G-Man WC
02-07-2013, 7:07 AM
I had four old boxes of 30-06 to pull.
So I bought a RCBS collet puller and it worked great with
no marks on the bullet. Very easy to use. -g

OldShooter32
02-07-2013, 7:18 AM
I have a Forster press and somewhere found a disc bullet puller for .30 caliber bullets. It slides into the slot for the die locking ring and has flat steel "fingers" that grip the bullet as it is run up through the center hole. Pull down and the "fingers" close on the cannelure --or the side if there isn't one. Presto! Bullet pulled without marks. I usually dump and re-weigh the powder, but then just seat the new bullet and head for the range.

Bill Steele
02-07-2013, 7:25 AM
...Quick one or two bullet removals is usually the kinetic (as long as it's not a SP rifle round as the force on the kinetic tends to mash them a bit)..

One aside is the RCBS hammer style puller has a foam pad in the nose to "catch" the bullet and stop and damage to the bullet. Come to think of it, that would be a pretty simple upgrade for any kinetic puller that didn't have one...

Hijack off.

diveRN
02-07-2013, 10:44 AM
I don't pull that many bullets as I only load two different calibers and have pretty well found the 'right' recipe for each.

If I need to pull a bullet for whatever reason, I use the kinetic type (hammer) for pulling bullets.

I don't mess with the collets though, rather I just use the shell holder out of the press. It fits right in the end where the bullet and collet go and holds the shell perfectly for knocking the bullet free.

popeye4
02-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Hornady collet puller works great. RCBS kinetic puller also works great, but my loading room is on the second floor of my workshop and I need to take the kinetic puller to a harder surface (like concrete) to get it to work reliably. The kinetic puller works for just about any caliber, the collet puller obviously needs the appropriately sized collet to work.