PDA

View Full Version : M&P shield + reloading powders

sleepingsheep
02-06-2013, 1:17 PM
Hello everyone, I did a search which rendered no results concerning the matter.

I was looking at Hodgdon's Longshot powder for 9mm reloading for the M&P shield, but found very little info suggesting that it may be too "hot" for the gun despite its usability . I figured I'd ask in here about first hand experience before I call Hodgdon.

Is this something I should be concerned about as far as the life and safety concerns of the handgun due to its overall smaller size? Should I just stick with other powders such as HS-6 and Power Pistol for the Shield?

Thank you for any input.

XDRoX
02-06-2013, 1:20 PM
Use whatever powder you want to. If you are worried about the guns durability then don't load them hot. Stick with light to medium rounds.

sleepingsheep
02-06-2013, 1:30 PM
THanks for the input, understood. But, I think I am misunderstanding the term "Hot Load" (aside from the obvious).

Is a hot load considered ONLY if it is beyond recommended specs in texts/data? In this case, if I follow these load datas, I should be fine? Or is Longshot naturally a "hot burning" powder to begin with that could wear the gun down when used within recommended load data specs?

Sorry for the newb questions.

Bill Steele
02-06-2013, 1:42 PM
THanks for the input, understood. But, I think I am misunderstanding the term "Hot Load" (aside from the obvious).

Is a hot load considered ONLY if it is beyond recommended specs in texts/data? In this case, if I follow these load datas, I should be fine? Or is Longshot naturally a "hot burning" powder to begin with that could wear the gun down when used within recommended load data specs?

Sorry for the newb questions.

Longshot is one of the best 9mm I have ever loaded. Any gun designed to operate at SAAMI pressures will work fine with Longshot.

You can go online to the Hodgdon site and find all the load data for 9mm, Longshot is usually near the top of the list of their available powders in any bullet weight you might choose.

call-in
02-06-2013, 1:44 PM
No experience with longshot but just looking at the published burn rates, it looks like that powder is pretty slow compared to other popular handgun powders. In a short barrel, I would think a faster powder is desirable as long as you keep within the published data.

XDRoX
02-06-2013, 1:45 PM
Longshot is not a powder that can put more wear on a gun so to say. However it is a powder that is well suited for hot loads. So if someone wants to load hot then they sometimes chose Longshot to do so.

There are many choices for light to medium loads in 9mm.
W231
WSF
Unique
WST
The list goes on and on. If Longshot is all you have then just don't load it hot and you're good to go. If you are choosing a powder for 9mm, I'd chose something else, but it's just personal preference. W231 is probably the most popular 9mm powder.

Hope that makes more sense.

XDRoX
02-06-2013, 1:53 PM
No experience with longshot but just looking at the published burn rates, it looks like that powder is pretty slow compared to other popular handgun powders. In a short barrel, I would think a faster powder is desirable as long as you keep within the published data.

This is all true. The problem with slower powders in short barrels are unless you push them toward the top end you'll get unburnt powder. Not the end of the world but can get dirty fast.

If you want a load specifically designed for the Shield I'd chose a fast powder.

sleepingsheep
02-06-2013, 1:58 PM
Thanks for all the "golden" information. It all makes sense, now. I was trying to find a powder that has significantly good numbers for the SHield 9mm and a standard barrel .40 (i haven't purchased yet), so that I don't have to purchase a variety.

Looks like, the W231 is the better contender for the Shield and will have to purchase the Longshot as well.

Thanks a bunch.

FishdudeNY
02-07-2013, 5:22 AM
I load 5 grains of WST under a 115 grain bullet and my shield loves them!

J-cat
02-07-2013, 6:22 AM
AA#7 is better for the 9 and has no flash. Like zero. Also, it is easy on your ears and meters like water.

DRAB_81
02-07-2013, 6:56 AM
WSF is another good powder for 9 & 40. WSF is one of those great powders that can be loaded really mild, all the way up to +P/High End velocities, and keep laser accuracy throughout the spectrum of charges. I use WSF for 9, 40, 45 & some light 10mm loads. I've loaded PD 124 JHP's over 4.7gr/5.0gr/5.3gr WSF, and my Shield did great with all charges. I also put 124gr +P HST's & Ranger T's through it, and it liked those too.

RayB
02-07-2013, 7:04 AM
When did you get your Shield??

I'm on a wait list @ a local shop-they have no idea when they're getting them...