View Full Version : Can I lend a gun, and for how long.

09-19-2007, 4:14 PM
My sister is going on business to a crime ridden area. Can I lend her a gun of mine, for self defense and for how long? She does not own a gun of her own, or posess a HSC card. She is a great shot, and handles them safely. Secondly my brother wants to gift me a pistol that is not on the DOJ's list. I am assuming I am out of luck here, or is there a way around that. Thanks, Sammy

09-19-2007, 4:24 PM
1) You can loan it to her for 30 days as long as she is legally able to possess it. I would guess this would mean no felonies and an HSC if it is a pistol.

2) I believe that would be a standard FTF transfer at a dealer.

09-19-2007, 7:19 PM
handgun for 10 days....rifles and shotguns as long as you wish.

09-19-2007, 7:56 PM
2) The dealer licensing and reporting requirements do not apply to the loan of any firearm in the
following instances:
Infrequent loans of firearms between persons who are personally known to each other for any
lawful purpose, if the loan does not exceed 30 days in duration. (Penal Code 12078(d).) Loans of a firearm for the purpose of shooting at targets on the premises of a target facility
if the firearm is kept within the premises of the target facility at all times.
(Penal Code 12078(h).)
Loans of an unloaded firearm or a firearm loaded with blanks for use solely as a
prop for motion picture, television or other entertainment event. (Penal Code 12078(s).)
Loans of a long gun to a licensed hunter for a period of time not to exceed the
hunting season for which the firearm is being used. (Penal Code 12078(q).)
Loans to minors by a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent:
- Long guns may be loaned for an indefinite period.
- Handguns may be loaned for the purpose of engaging in a lawful activity, and the loan does not
exceed the period of time necessary to participate in the
Loans to minors by other than a parent or legal guardian:
- Long guns may be loaned with the express permission of a parent or legal guardian if the
loan does not exceed 30 days.
- Handguns may be loaned with the express permission of a parent or legal guardian for not more
than 10 days. (Penal Code 12078(p).)

The 10 days is only if you're loaning it to a minor with parental permission. Using this form, http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf your brother could do an intrafamilial transfer to one of your parents, then they could do the same to you. Two forms at $19.00 each. If your brother is in California, it would be easier and cheaper to do a FTF transfer.