PDA

View Full Version : Need Choosing A Press

Luv1911's
02-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Ok guys, I was just about to order a Dillon 550B and have recently been talking with some of the guys at our gun club that reload. Several said that the guns that they have seen blow up through the years was due to a double charge using a Dillon 550 largely because the 550 doesn't auto index. I only use the Dillon here because that is the press I was inquiring about. I know we can talk about the need to be focused and look into every round to check for powder but Murphy sometimes comes into play whether we like it or not. So I have been looking at other presses like the Dillon XL650, the Hornady LNL AP and the Lee 1000 Pro. All have positives and negatives about them including but not limited to price (Dillon), indexing issues (Hornady) and issues with types of primers recommended for use and over all quality of the press(Lee). I'm not here looking for press bashing but good constructive comments on reliability, ease of use, clearing a jam, and ease of changing calibers so that I can make a final decision. While cost is of concern and I am new to reloading. I only want to do this once and am willing to pay a little more if necessary for a good press but don't want to throw money at something just because. I will be reloading 9mm and .45 acp pistol cartridges. I do shoot competition with the local gun club so at times I can chew up some ammo if I shoot every weekend. The Dillon 550B appears to be a great press and it may still be in the running but I can see an advantage to an auto indexing press. Your comments will be greatly appreciated, share with me some of your knowledge.

Luv1911's
02-04-2013, 10:58 AM
Sorry that should read "Need Help Choosing A Press".

Dark Mod
02-04-2013, 11:08 AM
You will find the LNL and the 650 to be very similar presses. While the Dillon is arguably a finer quality press, it also has a pricetag to match. The other good news about the LNL is that caliber changes are very quick, and all you need for a new caliber is the shellplate, making caliber changes cost about $30.

The Dillon can change calibers fairly quickly if you buy an extra priming assembly and a whole toolhead with powder measure for each caliber, but that will get expensive quick. were talking $120+ per caliber change.

Ive run into a few hickups with my LNL, but they have been remedied fairly easily. I dont know if Dillons malfunction less, but it certainly seems that way (im sure dillon owners will chime in). They do seem smoother and vetter engineered. I think the priming system is superior on the Dillons too.

If money was no object id own all blue equipment, but when i did the research the LNL came out on top.

Divernhunter
02-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Get the Dillon 650XL and you will never look back. There is a station for a powder check die and it has a buzzer also to tell you if the charge is high or low. Self indexing and a great machine I have one that currently has change overs for 45ACP and 9mm. Have another set up for 223 now. Get the case feed and primer sensor as well as the powder measure sensor.

Dillon. may cost alittle more but worth every penny.

BigBronco
02-04-2013, 11:22 AM
I would recommend the LnL or the 650 for the simple reason of the fifth die station. This allows for a powder check, Alarm or Lock out die to be used.
I have the LnL and it serves me well.

XDRoX
02-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Consider me old school but I say the 550 is the way to go. I don't mind manual indexing. In fact I prefer it. I look into each case before I place a bullet and so I know that I charged the case and know that I didn't double charge it. It's not hard to do. If you learn to look into each case before placing a bullet it becomes habit.

The other day I was loading on my neighbor's LNL with a case feeder and powder check. I still looked into every case before placing a bullet. In fact the powder check started to cause problems and I asked him to take it off. It just slowed me down.

The simplicity of the 550 is what sets it apart from the rest. I could have easily afforded a 650 but didn't need the speed of a case feeder and preferred the simplicity of the 550 so that's what I bought. I have zero regrets.

And even if I had room for a powder die, which I could if I seat/crimp in one step, I wouldn't use one anyways. Just one more piece of equipment that has the possibility to fail.

Most the guys on this forum load on 650's and LNL's. So you're going to get more recommendations on the other two. But don't throw out the idea of a 550. It truly is the work horse of the bunch.

More parts = more possibility for problems. The 550 is the Glock of reloading presses.

Bill Steele
02-04-2013, 11:51 AM
I have a 550B and like it a lot. I do believe in Murphy's Law but I also believe if I look in the case before I set the bullet, then I have eliminated Murphy. I also never had a problem flying on instruments and doing approaches to minimums, so I guess to some degree it has a lot to do with the person. I have many tens of thousands of rounds loaded with no doubles on my 550B, ymmv.

I also believe auto indexing (with the appropriate interlocks on the powder drops that all the popular options come with) can help with the risks for those that might not trust themselves to remember to look before they set the bullet. For the "belt and suspenders" crowd, a powder lockout or buzzer like Dillon offers is added insurance. A powder cop die makes no sense to me, as you have to be looking at it to determine if the charge was correct, I mean, if you can't trust yourself to look in the case, why do you trust yourself to look at the powder cop doughnut?

I think either the Hornaday LnL AP or the Dillon 650 should meet your needs if the 550B is too much risk. I think you will likely have a few more minor tweaks from time to time with the LnL, if the post volume on it is any guide, but there are a lot of VERY experienced hands on that press, right here on these threads, so getting it dialed back to smooth operation is likely just a few posts away.

Really, in the end, whatever you select of the above options should make you happy, as soon as we all can start getting components again... ;)

stilly
02-04-2013, 11:56 AM
If you shoot more than 300 rounds a week then you might consider a dillon still. BUT, if you are new to reloading and for many folks that are then I recco a Lee Classic Turret. I find that I can pump out about 150+ in about two hours or less. It is all about getting a feel for what you are doing and being familiar vs being clunky. I have yet to make a squib on accident but sometimes I feel that if I am not as familiar with that load recipe or round or mechanics of what I am doing that I can screw up.

Murphy only comes in the door if you let him. He is like a Vampire and can only enter if you invite him in...

Why do people look at the Lee Pro 1000 and not that massive Load Master or whatever it is called? That Load Master is what I would get because it has what, 5 stations, massive, stronger, and can do .308 where that Pro 1000 can not go past .223 it seems. PLUS that pro 1000 looks to have the same body of that cast aluminum 3 hole turret press. I could be wrong but if I were to look at the Lee loaders then I would look at the Load Master. Looking at a Dillon I would consider a 650 or 1050 and for Hornady the LNL AP only.

Lyman. Rcbs, and Redding, forster and others are out of it for a progressive for me even though I would consider them for other types of presses.

... A powder cop die makes no sense to me, as you have to be looking at it to determine if the charge was correct, I mean, if you can't trust yourself to look in the case, why do you trust yourself to look at the powder cop doughnut?...

I think that if your lighting is not positioned in the right spot that it makes looking down some cases (.223 and .308) harder for some folks that use the vibrators to clean their stuff and still have dirty insides. Of course in the case of the .223 and .308 I will say that no matter how clean those are it can be a pita to efficiently look inside each case. I have noticed that for the cases with the smaller necks you might have this problem. With as many flashlights as I have around the house, I do not have any near my loading bench...

MIAMIbaseballer
02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Dillon 650 for sure......

kmca
02-04-2013, 12:15 PM
If you narrow it down to a Dillon, check this out:
http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillon.html
Brian runs a very good forum, he's a Dillon dealer and if you call to place your order, you get to talk to Brian himself.

morrow
02-04-2013, 1:28 PM
You won't regret buying the Dillon 550 or 650. 650 is much faster than the 550, i highly prefer it.

Again, you won't regret either.

Clownpuncher
02-04-2013, 1:52 PM
I have an LnL and aside from initial growing pains with it, it runs good.

My (main) criteria for an auto press when I was shopping for one was 5 stations so I could have a powder check, auto indexing, and easy caliber change.

I never really looked at the 550 since I wanted an auto indexing press if I was going to buy another.

I looked at the 650 and the LnL mainly and they both met my needs/wants and, to be honest, the deciding factor was price. Not necessiarily the initial buy price but the caliber change price. As Dark Mod stated above, that is very expensive with the dillon and not expensive at all with the LnL. I am especially glad I went with the LnL now that I load 8 different calibers.

As for the powder check, I've heard the dillon powder check is good with the buzzer but again, expensive. I have the RCBS lockout die and it works great. It has saved my bacon a couple of times as it locks the press up with an under or over charge.

Oh, and I have other Dillon equipment and can say that Dillon's and Hornady's customer service are both top notch.

Bottom line, the 650 and the LnL are both great machines and both have their quirks. The biggest difference I found was price. Good luck.

elhefe50ss
02-04-2013, 2:23 PM
i have a loadmaster and its a great unit

luvtolean
02-04-2013, 2:27 PM
For volume handgun (IPSC, USPSA etc), I'd want 5 stations, and auto indexing.

I have a LnL, and Hornady's customer service has been the best I've ever experienced with any product, ever.

Certainly Dillon builds a great press too, I'd just say get a 650 not a 550. It will cost much more to get running for multiple calibers than a LnL, but it holds it's value.

Lead Waster
02-04-2013, 3:26 PM
OK, on a manually indexing 550b, it's hard to double charge a case because if you DON'T index, then you might notice that there is already a bullet seated where you are trying to shove a bullet, and there is a case already where you are trying to shove a case...

Lead Waster
02-04-2013, 3:31 PM
If you shoot more than 300 rounds a week then you might consider a dillon still. BUT, if you are new to reloading and for many folks that are then I recco a Lee Classic Turret. I find that I can pump out about 150+ in about two hours or less. It is all about getting a feel for what you are doing and being familiar vs being clunky. I have yet to make a squib on accident but sometimes I feel that if I am not as familiar with that load recipe or round or mechanics of what I am doing that I can screw up.

I've pointed this out before, but if you have a progressive press, you DON'T HAVE TO RUN MORE THAN ONE ROUND AT A TIME.

For a newbie, you can easily insert one case, pull the handle. Then it either auto-indexes or you index it manually. DON'T PUT IN ANOTHER CASE. Then pull the handle again and repeat until you watch that one little case go all they way around, visiting each stage until a finished round pops out. Then do it again with another single case.When you are comfortable with what's going on, then go ahead and put a new case in each time.

You do not have to pipeline a progressive at all times!

madjack956
02-04-2013, 4:15 PM
I got a Dillon 550 and a Square Deal. Dillons' equipment stands the test of time and their no B.S. warranty is the best in the business.

AR-Realtor
02-04-2013, 5:26 PM
You could always get a press monitor that will prevent a double charge.

http://www.pressmonitordevice.com/

But if you add the price of the monitor you will be better off getting a 650

bigdrunk92037
02-04-2013, 5:53 PM
I with the others that says to get a 5 station press. Also, I would pass on the Hornady Powdercop die and get the RCBS Lock-Out die. Freaking thing works awesome. No charge or double charge, it will catch it. I have both the Powder Cop and Lock-Out and the Lock-Out wins hands down.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/536792/rcbs-lock-out-die

Caliber changes on the LNL are ultra quick and easy. Hornady's bushing system is great.

Better yet, changing primer sizes on the Hornady is also very, very easy. I can do it about two minutes.

I recommend either a LNL or XL650. Watch a lot of youtube videos, read the forums and you will get a feel for which you think may work best for you.

lincoln45
02-04-2013, 6:14 PM
Get the Dillon 650XL and you will never look back. There is a station for a powder check die and it has a buzzer also to tell you if the charge is high or low. Self indexing and a great machine I have one that currently has change overs for 45ACP and 9mm. Have another set up for 223 now. Get the case feed and primer sensor as well as the powder measure sensor.

Dillon. may cost alittle more but worth every penny.

+1:oji:

if ur in sac Discount Shooters Supply has a 650 they use and i have gone in there several times for post buy help and pre buy advise, they were very helpfull

onewheelwes
02-04-2013, 6:35 PM
I bought a XL 650 to do some pistol loads for target. I was always a believer in a single stage for precision. The dillion is starting to change my mind. The consistency is very good. I do not run it to try to get 800 R/Hr. I always visually check my charge. Since I have not used any other progressives, all I can say is I am very happy with the purchase. The bad news is their web site says they are 6-8 weeks out on their machines. My "panic buy" of a .223 die set in December still has not shipped.

Waldog
02-04-2013, 6:53 PM
Go here: http://www.nwgun.com/2013/02/04/new-digital-download-hornady-lock-n-load-ap-5-station-reloading-press-review/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NorthwestGunMagazine+%28North west+Gun+Magazine%29

They have a good write up on the good and bad of the Hornady LNL. It will cost you $2.99

onewheelwes
02-04-2013, 7:05 PM
I bought a XL 650 to do some pistol loads for target. I was always a believer in a single stage for precision. The dillion is starting to change my mind. The consistency is very good. I do not run it to try to get 800 R/Hr. I always visually check my charge. Since I have not used any other progressives, all I can say is I am very happy with the purchase. The bad news is their web site says they are 6-8 weeks out on their machines. My "panic buy" of a .223 die set in December still has not shipped.

Inkman
02-04-2013, 7:39 PM
1. I have a 550b and am perfectly happy with it. Load a couple hundred a nite and within no time you can have 1000s loaded and ready to shoot.

2. That being said, if i was starting out new again, i'd probably get a 650 just for the speed of use.

3. If i get another press now, it will be a 1050. Period. No questions about it. Case feeder, bullet feeder, everything. Doubt that will happen anytime soon though as the 550b does everything i need.

4. Forget about the cost and spend the most you can afford for the best press that fits your needs. You'll forget about the cost in no time and be loading long into the future with it.

Al

klewan
02-05-2013, 9:05 AM
If you select a powder that fills 60% or more of the brass, a double charge prevents placing a bullet on that one because the powder will be overflowing the brass.

If you're only going to do a couple of different cartridges, Dillion is ok. But if you start doing lots of different ones, the caliber change kits are going to eat up cubic dollars. Dillions got the buy extra parts down pat.

I've had a Loadmaster for 17 years, only downside for me is you can't run a lockout die when you have all the other turret holes occupied. The LM is really a four station tool.

Two months ago you could buy a complete LM with dies for $215, now they're pushing $300. I bought mine after pricing out the Dillion; I could buy 20,000 primers, 10 pounds of different powders, 5,000 cast bullets for about what the Dillion was going to cost extra.

I haven't had the "difficulties" I see about the LM; you need a certain mechanical sensitivity about it. I saw a thread where somebody was using a single stage press and it started getting harder to pump the handle. He kept at it until the press froze up. It needed some lube on the ram, but he didn't do that. That's the kind of person that shouldn't get near a LM, or any other press for that matter. You have to be the kind that actually reads the instructions and follows them. You try just winging it, it's not going to work very well. YMMV

Ad0nis
02-05-2013, 9:19 AM
Researched the ever loving heck out of this subject.... LnL hands down. Ignore all the "Dillon and never look back" BS and do your own in depth research.

Lead Waster
02-05-2013, 9:22 AM
You don't NEED a powdercop or check die if you make "looking into the case" just a regular part of the loading process. Yeah yeah, easier said than done.

The 550b forces you to be more hands on than a fully decked out 650 with case and bullet feeder.

If I were to upgrade my 550b, I would definitely look at the LnL as well as the 650, but in all likelyhood, I won't ever upgrade.

chickenfried
02-05-2013, 9:29 AM
I have an auto indexing press, a check die, and I look into the case. If one bad round gets through all the savings from reloading, gone. So I do anything I can reasonably do to prevent human error from entering the picture.

You don't NEED a powdercop or check die if you make "looking into the case" just a regular part of the loading process. Yeah yeah, easier said than done.

Ad0nis
02-05-2013, 9:40 AM
I have an auto indexing press, a check die, and I look into the case. If one bad round gets through all the savings from reloading, gone. So I do anything I can reasonably do to prevent human error from entering the picture.

+1000

Lead Waster
02-05-2013, 9:43 AM

OK, fair enough. My point is that you can't rely on the equipment, you need to QC the rounds yourself, which means checking yourself with your own eyeballs. ie; you can't just crank out the rounds by madly pulling the handle and never looking.

Obviously, do both if you can. Let let the equipment back up your eyeball and vice versa.

Quinc
02-05-2013, 9:58 AM
Would probably be cheaper to just buy a Lee Pro 1000 in both 45 and 9mm.

alfred1222
02-05-2013, 2:09 PM
I love my Hornady LNL AP, its probably the best investment ive made in all my years of shooting

damndave
02-05-2013, 2:14 PM
The Dillon 550 is a great press. I opted to get a 650 because I wanted to add a casefeder, has 5 stations and is auto-index.

Realistically the only time a double charge or squib would happen is if the operator fails to visually inspect the charged case. Various companies also make dies that check the powder charge for you.

rconnerley
02-05-2013, 4:32 PM
I have had my Hornady LNL for about 4.5 years now. With well over 20,000 rounds in 7 calibers through it, I am a very satisfied customer. While it has taken a little tweaking here and there, it has been a fantastic tool. Hornady customer service has been outstanding, as well.

With that said, I have never spoken to a Dillon owner that did not like their press. I don't think that you can go wrong either way. Probably just depends what features you want and what you can afford to pay. +1 on get a case feeder if you can, or at least buy a press (LNL or 650) that allows you to add one later.

Luv1911's
02-05-2013, 5:17 PM
Ok, with all of the great input I think I have made my decision to go with the Dillon XL 650. It is more money than the LNL which I am sure is a great press but there appears to be a lot of support for the Dillon on this wed site as well as others, so I am going to stop agonizing over which one and place the order for the Dillon. I appreciate all the help guys and maybe in the future I will post an update once I get up and running.

klewan
02-05-2013, 7:52 PM
Ok, with all of the great input I think I have made my decision to go with the Dillon XL 650. It is more money than the LNL which I am sure is a great press but there appears to be a lot of support for the Dillon on this wed site as well as others, so I am going to stop agonizing over which one and place the order for the Dillon. I appreciate all the help guys and maybe in the future I will post an update once I get up and running.

You're going to rot in "blue hell" for eternity....not that's there anything wrong with that....

Dark Mod
02-05-2013, 8:19 PM

Order from Brian Enos, you will be glad you did

dartbrandx
02-05-2013, 9:31 PM
You're going to rot in "blue hell" for eternity....not that's there anything wrong with that....

:D That's funny. I'm there in blue hell also. I didn't know "hell" could be so effortless and reliable though!!:p

You have made the right decision.

I started with the lee pro 1000. I moved to the xl650. I've added a casefeeder which I recommend you add with your initial order. It's worth every penny.

The 650 is not cheap to change calibers. If you go with the full change for each caliber, I think it's about $200ish. That's the caliber conversion, toolhead, powder hopper/charge bar etc. It's been awhile since I've tooled up. It's all worth it without a doubt. Everyone's so afraid of changing calibers on this machine! You do it once, follow the step by step youtube video. Seriously, you can change calibers on this machine in 15min or less. The only reason it'll take longer is because you were interrupted. And yes I'm including changing over the primer size too.:facepalm: One of the many reasons I bought the 650 as opposed to the 550 was the safety factor. It is extremely hard to double charge a case in the 650. Dare I say almost impossible. The powder level sensor works great. The primer feed is great. I've got no complaints.

Neither does my father and my brother in law. Both LNL owners and heavy reloaders that I now find coming over to my house to use "ol blue".

Hell, I liked the dillon powder measure alarm on mine so much, I bought one and installed it on my fathers LnL. Works great. It's hard to see that Dillon blue on the LnL red though! lol:eek:

You made a great choice.

Oh ya, Brian Enos is the place to go for your Dillon needs and wants. He's a great guy to deal with.

madjack956
02-05-2013, 9:51 PM
Welcome to the "Blue Crew"! Your gonna love it...Congratulations!

johnny1290
02-05-2013, 10:03 PM
#jealous!

I have a pro 1000. It's fine...but I wish I could load rifle on it other than 223, I wish it had more stations, and I wish it were a loadmaster!

That said it works fine but you hvae to tinker with it

mud99
02-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Researched the ever loving heck out of this subject.... LnL hands down. Ignore all the "Dillon and never look back" BS and do your own in depth research.

Agreed, the LNL is fantastic, better priming system than the 650, and it's nice to be able to only insert certain dies - for example to do a deprime before cleaning.

Hornady gives you the same level of support as dillon. Basically, you call them, tell them what you need, and they send it out same day no questions asked.

The dillon is more refined, the LNL is more flexible.

Ad0nis
02-06-2013, 6:36 AM
Dillon more refined? How exactly?

LnL case retention system is better,
You already spoke to the LnL's better priming system,
LnL spent primer handling is better
LnL bushing system is better than toolheads

If by refined you mean old and obsolete, then I agree.

Shoot, if Hornady made something akin to a 1050, there would be no reason at all to own any 'blue' press (blue dies maybe, those are pretty good, oh and the swager too, but that's all).

XDRoX
02-06-2013, 6:46 AM
Dillon more refined? How exactly?

It's more solid. You'd have to spend time on both machines but anyone who has can tell you that. The amount of pressure you have to put on the LNL to prime isn't right. They should have designed that better.

Also to get a case feeder and bullet feeder to work properly on an LNL require too much extra work. Work that Hornady should have done.

Dillons come ready to go out of the box.

Lot's of guys load on LNL's and love them. But I know a number of people that have owned both and now only own Dillon. I've had a chance to load on both and choose Dillon.

XDRoX
02-06-2013, 6:48 AM
You already spoke to the LnL's better priming system,
LnL bushing system is better than toolheads

I couldn't disagree more.

But hey obviously you like your LNL. That's all that really matters.

Ad0nis
02-06-2013, 7:02 AM
Your perception of the 650 being more 'solid' than the LnL is exactly opposite of mine. I percieve the LnL to be more solid due to its large, no lash fit ram, and 0 play bushing system. It's a larger press to boot (albeit this may be a detractor for thoes who need to conserve space, the LnL is just plain bigger than all the other 5 station progressives).

Interesting point about the priming pressure - agreed, takes a little more umph than a 650 to get primers seated. The "dimple" on my press after 13000 rounds still isn't deep enough to have given me problems, but I don't like the way that works either. Still, the priming system as a whole has been flawless. I've had exactly two primer shuttle jams in 13000 rounds, both were caused by winchester large pistol primers.

Casefeed, Yeah, Dillon's casefeed system is more reliable because it retains the case fully, you can occasionally bounce a case off the case feed slide on the LnL. Still, you have to buy caliber conversion kits for all your different calibers on the Dillon, where on the LnL, you have everything you need for any caliber in the box it comes in. Once you tweak in the shuttle cam, you never have to touch it again (just swap the 'pushers'). Drop tube adjustments takes seconds.

BTW,

I've loaded on both and choose Hornady (price was not an issue either).

morrow
02-06-2013, 7:21 AM
One thing I dislike about the LNL is the lack of plating done on the bare metal (steel/cast iron) parts. That thing is a rust machine unless it's kept in a climate controlled environment, even so, you still need to oil/dry lube it constantly. Both of which attract dust/debris/gun powder/etc.

I really have absolutely no idea why Hornady skimped on that. Why couldn't they at least throw a cheap bluing or nickel plating on all of their parts to counteract the rust? Especially things like the powder measure internals, primer moving parts, shell plates, etc.

That, and the primer system, was what turned me away from the Hornady LNL AP. I can't believe how they just let the primer punch go right into the cast iron frame for support. Totally dumb idea. They need to add a screw there or hardened metal insert. All the LNL AP's ive seen have a dimple there in the frame.

XDRoX
02-06-2013, 7:24 AM
El_Nino619 actaully installed a golden rod on his bench to keep his LNL's from rusting. I know you're very coastal Morrow. I'm in La Mesa and don't really have rusting issues with my Dillon.

morrow
02-06-2013, 7:51 AM
El_Nino619 actaully installed a golden rod on his bench to keep his LNL's from rusting. I know you're very coastal Morrow. I'm in La Mesa and don't really have rusting issues with my Dillon.
The Dillon is mostly cast aluminum, and from what I can tell all the steel/cast iron/MIM parts, minus the ram of course, are plated or blued. Therefor the Dillon is very rust resistant. My Dillon has no rusting problems, then again I do have it setup indoors. I haven't seen any rusted-out Dillons unless they're ancient and really beat-up, left outside in the rain, etc. Every LNL AP i've seen though has some degree of surface rust as it's mostly bare metal cast iron/steel parts.

Sounds like El_Nino had a very good and necessary idea to deal with the rust on his LNL's.

Ad0nis
02-06-2013, 10:04 AM
One thing I dislike about the LNL is the lack of plating done on the bare metal (steel/cast iron) parts. That thing is a rust machine unless it's kept in a climate controlled environment, even so, you still need to oil/dry lube it constantly. Both of which attract dust/debris/gun powder/etc.

I really have absolutely no idea why Hornady skimped on that. Why couldn't they at least throw a cheap bluing or nickel plating on all of their parts to counteract the rust? Especially things like the powder measure internals, primer moving parts, shell plates, etc.

That, and the primer system, was what turned me away from the Hornady LNL AP. I can't believe how they just let the primer punch go right into the cast iron frame for support. Totally dumb idea. They need to add a screw there or hardened metal insert. All the LNL AP's ive seen have a dimple there in the frame.

??? it's obvious you don't own one.

Press is cast/machined aluminum. most surfaces on the press are powder coated. Obviously the stainless steel parts (cam wires, shuttle, etc.) are good to go. Ram head is cast iron and looks like there's some sort of rust resistant finish on it. Furthermore, if there were EVER to be a problem with any part on the press, Hornady will send a replacement part immediately.

Powder measure internals? the powder measure body is powder coated inside and out. Rotor is stainless steel. Where's the problem?

Yup there's a dimple on mine. But overall the system has been flawless, the same cannot be said for other priming systems (650's stupid, unsafe, carousel). Best part is that the shuttle only presents a primer when needed. No missed primers going into the trash cup like on the 650.

Getting tired of this RvB bull**** though. LnL is a better press. Deal with it.

madjack956
02-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Kinda reminds me of back in the day when I bought my Harley and all my friends would put it down for one reason or another.

Eventually they all became owners. LOL...

chickenfried
02-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Don't think you're helping :rofl: :p

XDRoX
02-06-2013, 10:14 AM

Press is cast/machined aluminum. most surfaces on the press are powder coated. Obviously the stainless steel parts (cam wires, shuttle, etc.) are good to go. Ram head is cast iron and looks like there's some sort of rust resistant finish on it. Furthermore, if there were EVER to be a problem with any part on the press, Hornady will send a replacement part immediately.

Powder measure internals? the powder measure body is powder coated inside and out. Rotor is stainless steel. Where's the problem?

Yup there's a dimple on mine. But overall the system has been flawless, the same cannot be said for other priming systems (650's stupid, unsafe, carousel). Best part is that the shuttle only presents a primer when needed. No missed primers going into the trash cup like on the 650.

You are the only one with any hostility in your posts. Were are all just stating our opinions in a calm and logical way.

You sound like you have something to prove.

I feel like if you really knew your press was the best you wouldn't be so negative about Dillon.

These Red vs Blue arguments aren't going anywhere. It's what makes these forums interesting.

You're talking to some of the forum members here like you wouldn't be if we were sitting around in real life. It's borderline disrespectful. We try to talk to each other in the reloading forum like we would if we ran into each other at the range.

It's fine to think you have the best press. It's fine to advocate for it and try to get others to buy it. But you'd get more believers if you did so in a less hostile way. Re-read the posts of this thread. Most if not all are very honest replies based on experience. The OP read them, took them into consideration and picked Dillon.

morrow
02-06-2013, 10:27 AM

Wow. You need to calm down kid. Your last sentence summed it up --- you're not about friendly debates and pointing out pros/cons, you just love the LNL AP above all else, and for some reason feel the need to bash Dillon.

For instance, I think some of the Dillon plastic parts, like the indexing cam, could definitely be made better, like of of aluminum or steel. It's a flimsy part.

Some of the items you listed are in fact not stainless steel, they just haven't rusted yet. The shell plates do not have a protective coating --- they are normal cast iron. Again, yours just haven't rusted yet. IMO those parts should be blued or nickel plated from the factory. They skimped on that.

I'm not going to argue with you any further. This thread was a friendly debate to point out pros/cons. You've taken it personally for some reason.

dartbrandx
02-06-2013, 7:42 PM

:facepalm: WOW! Where does one start with this?