PDA

View Full Version : Toilet for SHTF?

delta9
02-02-2013, 3:01 PM
What would be suggested to use as a toilet during SHTF?

I'm thinking of just crapping in a 5 gal bucket lined with a garbage bag or is there something better?

Vacaville
02-02-2013, 3:05 PM

I'm thinking of just crapping in a 5 gal bucket lined with a garbage bag or is there something better?

That's about as good an answer as I can think of.

ElvenSoul
02-02-2013, 3:21 PM
They actually sell these now for people to wussy to use a hefty bag

http://www.biorelief.com/products/hygiene-products/carebag-toilet-liner.html

spetsnaz
02-02-2013, 3:28 PM
eOTKUeSJsSE

kaligaran
02-02-2013, 4:17 PM
Pick up a toilet seat for a 5g bucket (I think that's what the vid is before mine, I didn't watch it though).

http://preparednessmama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Bucket-toilet-seat.jpg. It snaps on any bucket.

Personally I would prefer the seat to sitting on the bucket without it. Eating MREs or whatever you have stashed may clog you up a bit. You would want something comfy to sit on.

The seat itself is about $10 and you can get a Home Depot bucket for about $4. And then just a roll of trash bags.

jt-cali
02-02-2013, 4:43 PM
Make sure you have 2 separate buckets, one for pee, one for poo, to minimize the stench.

http://www.phlush.org/emergencysan/diy-christchurch-twin/ (http://www.phlush.org/emergencysan/diy-christchurch-twin/)

1BDDELX
02-02-2013, 4:48 PM
There are much cheaper ones than this but you get the idea..

http://www.bumperdumper.com/bumper2.htm

Here is the offroad commode

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200308541_200308541

02-02-2013, 4:53 PM
For $69.95... I can get a ton of buckets and lids...

psychophd
02-02-2013, 4:56 PM
kaligaran,

where do I get that seat?

1BDDELX
02-02-2013, 4:58 PM
kaligaran,

where do I get that seat?

Quite a few on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=toilet%20seat%205%20gallon%20bucket&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atoilet%20seat%205%20gallon%20buck et

kaligaran
02-02-2013, 5:39 PM
Quite a few on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keywords=toilet%20seat%205%20gallon%20bucket&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Atoilet%20seat%205%20gallon%20buck et

Yeah $11 with free prime shipping is very reasonable.

I got mine at a place in the bay area called Redwood Trading Post for $10 IIRC.

Ripon83
02-02-2013, 7:56 PM
What happened to digging a hole in the ground?

Onetyme
02-02-2013, 8:13 PM
Try this:

http://natureshead.net/

GeeDog
02-02-2013, 9:58 PM
If the %%$ was really hitting the fan, I wouldn't be worried about carrying around a bucket to %$$ in.

Decoligny
02-02-2013, 11:46 PM
If the %%$ was really hitting the fan, I wouldn't be worried about carrying around a bucket to %$$ in.

SHTF has different meanings to different people.

SHTF could be something as simple as an earthquake where power and running water is knocked out for a week or two, or just for a couple of days. If this happens, I suggest filling all the bathtubs with water before the pressure is gone. Hopefully you already have enough drinking water stocked up, so this water can be used to flush the toilet using a bucket. I had to do that for two weeks when stationed in Korea. Our water main to the base broke. We were not going to dig holes in the ground to crap in.

If it is a "The End Of The World As We Know It" event, or TEOTWAWKI then all bets are off, if you have to bug in, you will probably want to bag it for disposal later. If you are bugging out, crap where you must, but bury it if you can.

fishandhunt4ever
02-03-2013, 12:29 AM
If the SHTF in the way most of us think it is, I want no part of smelling what will be in a trash bag lined 5-gallon bucket. Dehydrated food, wild game canned meats, canned veggies, canned beans will not smell like potpourri or wild flowers. Just think about what a 2-3 day hunting trip out in the middle of now where ends up smelling like. The tow-hitch pooper is the way I will go. One deep hole and continuous shoveling.

Gun_Owner_901
02-03-2013, 1:07 AM
Dig a Hole crap in it then cover it, that's what I do when I am backpacking I carry a little garden spade just for that reason, also you can dig a hole and place a smooth oval shaped rock on each side of the hole and one in the back that provides somewhat of a seat. or you could just buy some of these.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/CAMP-275

olhunter
02-03-2013, 5:01 AM
If you're bugging in, just line the inside of your regular toilet with a 15 gal trash bag and put the seat down. Works great.

jarhead714
02-03-2013, 5:23 AM
What happened to digging a hole in the ground?

That's the ticket. Go to an Army/Navy store and get an E-tool, dig a cat hole and your set.:D

TheChief
02-03-2013, 5:34 AM
If your buggen'-in, that cr@pple will build up fast. I think the 5 gallon bucket and garbage bag is a great idea. Once full, tie it off and set it next to your Trebuchet as ammo for when the horde swarms your neighborhood.

Sir! They're flinging poo at us! Damn apes!

kajvid
02-03-2013, 7:12 AM
WTF? You people must spend ZERO time out of doors.

Flip a rock to make a hole.
Poop.
Paper goes in and light it on fire.
Flip rock over the mess.

You have just given fruit BACK to the Earth.

Been doing it this exact way in Alaska for 30+ years.

Gabriel80
02-03-2013, 8:10 AM

Flip a rock to make a hole.
Poop.
Paper goes in and light it on fire.
Flip rock over the mess.

You have just given fruit BACK to the Earth.

Been doing it this exact way in Alaska for 30+ years.

LOL! I live in L.A. County, what rock? If you live in a city, there isn't any rocks to flip over or holes to dig, unless you travel to the nature center. 5 gallon bucket is the way to go!

wpage
02-03-2013, 11:23 AM
These all work...
My scout manual likes the hole in the ground solution.

psychophd
02-03-2013, 2:30 PM

Coupla things:
1. Probably like a lot of people here, I've done my fair share of hiking/backpacking and camping. I've also spent more than enough time in China with squatties.
2. I'm thinking of a few weeks without help (e.g., major earthquake) bugging in, not out. And yes, while I can dig a hole, it'd be nice (although not necessary) to have a toilet. And I'm sure my wife would really appreciate it too - she's not a big fan of squat pots either. :)

kaligaran
02-03-2013, 7:36 PM
The toilet bucket is for bug-in scenarios only really.
If you're on foot or traveling by vehicle, no point in using/carrying a bucket... it's actually funny to me some people would assume that is the intention. :)

Keep in mind if S really did HTF, going outside unnecessarily could be dangerous and not to mention a vulnerable position for the pooper.

DavidR310
02-03-2013, 7:53 PM
That's the ticket. Go to an Army/Navy store and get an E-tool, dig a cat hole and your set.:D

And why do we do this?

'CAUSE THE MARINE CORPS TELLS US TOO!"

The toilet bucket is for bug-in scenarios only really.

Negative. Follow this if your bugging in.

If you're bugging in, just line the inside of your regular toilet with a 15 gal trash bag and put the seat down. Works great.

Priceless words from a salty dog.

kaligaran
02-03-2013, 8:06 PM

That's a good idea. The only downside I could see would be that you can't seal the toilet like you can a bucket with a lid (so you wouldn't have to empty it or tie off the bag every use).

Also, if you're on septic and have the water to spare (rainwater or whatever), you could still use your toilet as needed till your septic is full.

stitch_paradox
02-03-2013, 9:15 PM
Toilet for SHTF? Shovel and/or diesel and drum are all you need.

Socaliente
02-04-2013, 1:30 AM
When I was in the Army, for field training we would take a regular folding chair and cut a big hole in the center. Worked really well

Sawdust
02-04-2013, 6:13 AM
Take dump as normal in toilet.

Get a bucketful of water from the swimming pool.

Pour into toilet and clear bowl.

That's my plan.

Sawdust

stphnman20
02-04-2013, 6:20 AM
If worse comes to worst, just dig a hole and pop a squat.
(or is it "worst come to worst")

ghostly7
02-04-2013, 6:52 AM
Step1: Dig a big hole in back yard with shovel just like your compost hole.
Step2: drop deuce in hole
Step3: put cover (usually plywood) back over hole.
If your having trouble going: pretend your the Duke in old western days
If you want luxury: cut bottom out of the for-mentioned bucket, add seat, put over hole.
While in Rome:
1) if in wild use rock and burn method, I have to admit sometimes I don't burn :(
2) if in LA with no rocks, do not worry, most of that place is a giant toilet lol.

1d0ntkn0w
02-04-2013, 7:19 AM
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvEIYOT6VkCZ5Nj5Y5tIH3clmeXANkU LFfMchl6Havl0ixX7B_4Q

kygen
02-04-2013, 7:29 AM
this thread is very appropriate because my toilet just hit the fan

Horta
02-07-2013, 12:04 AM

Just add cat litter and your good to go.

berto
02-07-2013, 5:28 PM
Dress as a meter reader and do your business in customers yards.

roll2li
02-07-2013, 5:55 PM
When I was at Bridgeport for training, we actually had to haul our poop out in 5 gallon buckets (probably b/c of the impact of all the Marines pooping in the woods or some ish). They make toilet seat adaptors for them, just do your business, sprinkle some lye or crystallized bleach, wipe yourself with a moist towlet and move on.

ghostly7
02-08-2013, 9:39 AM
this thread is very appropriate because my toilet just hit the fan

You may have mounted your fan too low or your toilet too high......lol

gabe123
02-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I suspect that my guests would be surprised how good oranges from my tree taste a few months after the S had HTF ...

rplusplus
02-08-2013, 11:27 AM

:43:

In days of old
when knights were bold
and toilets weren't invented
you laid your load
upon the road
and walked away contented. :oji:

DVSmith
02-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Order a copy of this:

Fieldbook: The BSA's Manual of Advanced Skills for Outdoor Travel, Adventure, and Caring for the Land (http://www.amazon.com/Fieldbook-Manual-Advanced-Outdoor-Adventure/dp/0839531044/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_1)

Dr Pete
02-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Holy crap, people have been doing this for thousands of years!

I can't even believe people ask this question.

Go back to your video game or bark-o-lounger and eat something.

You are not fit to poop if you have to ask this question.

DVSmith
02-08-2013, 1:20 PM

LOL - Yes! As the good Dr says, like bears, people have been defecating in the woods since we evolved from apes or rats or whatever our lineage is this week. So just wander upstream from where you collect your drinking water and wash your dishes and produce a steaming pile of pewp. Not to worry about any nasty pathogens! For better results, have your whole community do this too. Oh, and dip your buns in the cool water to rinse them off while you are at it.

db42
02-08-2013, 1:32 PM

You put sand in the bucket first - much like a litter box.
That way you only need to empty it once a day, instead of everytime you go.

diveRN
02-08-2013, 1:36 PM

I was thinking the same thing.

G-Man WC
02-08-2013, 1:38 PM
In a major event that may last awhile, I'm not digging holes may times over in my yard to poo in. Your hood could turn into a Somali refugee camp with
dysentery! When human feces enter the food or water supply due to poor hygiene or sanitation, the infection ... you get the idea.
I would collect in garbage bags and burn. I saw something on Alaskan outback living and using an incinerator for waste.
WARNING: Contains footage of flaming excrementI'm heading over to the Bluenoise residence dressed as a PG&E worker.
-g

delta9
02-08-2013, 3:05 PM

You shouldn't assume that everybody lives in the woods. I'm the OP and live in the concrete jungle - my house doesn't even have a backyard to dig a hole!

252yft
02-08-2013, 11:28 PM
After the Northridge quake, we had no water. If you remember, the quake happened around 4:15 in the morning (give or take.) Well, it was easy for us guys to simply walk over next to the fence, but for the ladies......

We used a 5 gal. bucket, took an old toilet seat from the garage, hung some blankets and presto- the ladies had their own private outhouse.

Now for those of you who tailgate before and after a game or concert, what makes your lady happier? Standing in line for 20 minutes or her own somewhat private bucket?

252yft
02-08-2013, 11:32 PM
And don't forget to drop a little kitty litter into the bucket before use.

Here Kitty, Kitty!:shifty:

Vinz
02-08-2013, 11:56 PM
thats a good idea, my neighbor has a large cat box under his awning at the side of his house. I think i'll go try it later. So, do you wipe with a cat or use the Sunday paper?

Can't wait to see the look on his face when he goes to clean it later.

P345
02-09-2013, 5:49 PM
This is a great topic. I just had one of my water pipes break inside the wall so we had to shut the water off. No water= no toilets. Now the males in this house are all ok with the great outdoors, heck it's even time to get back to our roots.

Now the girls can't even agree with this unless we are camping. I like the idea of the bag in the toilet and I think I am going to put that in place tonight. This really got me thinking. I have everything else for when it is time to go butt "Yes I know" I didn't think of this for staying in.

I came across this little item at the sportsman show and I think I might just have to get one. www.squatmonkey.com

Steve_In_29
02-14-2013, 5:00 PM
If we don't have water to flush the toilet (we are on septic), then I have WAG Bags ($$$) and a bunch of the cheaper Walmart version as well.