PDA

View Full Version : Further question on brass cleaning

gunnery
02-02-2013, 2:49 PM
First, thanks for all of the advice..my question is to you deprime before you
clean or is that not necessary. Is having the old primer in while cleaning a bad thing?
Trying to get as much stuff done before the dillon arrives..2 months ugh.
Also, where do you find lemi-shine?

joelogic
02-02-2013, 2:52 PM
It is not a big deal if you do not remove the primer before cleaning. Corn doesn't really get in there anyway.

However if you are doing the two step rifle process the second tumble wil get the pocket.

Dark Mod
02-02-2013, 2:52 PM
For single stage ill deprime before i tumble, on a progressive i tumble with the old primers in and tumble again after the rounds are loaded.

damndave
02-02-2013, 2:55 PM
If you are speaking about Lemi-Shine, are you using the Stainless Steel Media?

If that is the case, you should deprime before tumbling so the SS pins can clean out the primer pockets. I use a Lee Universal Decapper die for that.

If you are just tumbling with corn or walnut, there is no need to deprime before tumbling.

ap1040
02-02-2013, 2:59 PM
If your cleaning the brass in water, then better to deprime so the primer pockets get cleaned along with the rest of the case.

If using corn or walnut better to not deprime first because the media tends to get stuck in the pockets or flash holes.

Both of the above are general rules and if you decide to not deprime before wet tumbling or if you deprime before dry tumbling you will not hurt anything.

Lemi-shine is available at walmart/target or amazon (and other places i'm sure)

OldShooter32
02-02-2013, 3:10 PM
I like to de-prime prior to any polishing, be it SS/wet or walnut/dry. Yeah, sometimes you have to pick bits out of the flash holes, but it isn't that bad. Having the primers out makes the whole process cleaner, IMHO.

J-cat
02-02-2013, 3:50 PM
You don't have to deprime with wet stainless if you don't want to.

atdski07
02-02-2013, 5:28 PM
Coke will clean really dirty brass pretty good, I had a some old brass in my cup holder and I had a cup from McDonalds in that cup holder a few days later I noticed the cup had leaked out the bottom, I cleaned out the cup holder and wiped the brass off and it was really clean, not polished shiny clean but it removed slot of tarnish and discoloration

sdkevin
02-02-2013, 10:03 PM
I try to avoid double tumbling so after depriming/resizing/pocket crimp cleanup.. then it's the tumbler.

Scout2Diesel
02-03-2013, 9:17 PM
I'm finding the ultrasonic cleans the pocket a little with the primer still in. I just punched out some primers from old brass that I cleaned years ago... had corn media in the pockets. Especially the Berdan.

Lead Waster
02-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Lemi-shine you can get at Safeway, look in the dishsoap section. It's in an hour-glass-ish shaped plastic container.

Also, if you don't have it, look for the "canning supplies" and you might be able to find a "Citric Acid" sold by "Ball". It's like $5 for 7.5oz, which is about the size of a small Red Bull can. That works just as well as lemi-shine, assuming lemi-shine is not just re-packaged citric acid.

edit: I think the citric acid, I found at Orchard Supply Hardware (OSH).

thomashoward
02-08-2013, 10:36 PM
If you are speaking about Lemi-Shine, are you using the Stainless Steel Media?

If that is the case, you should deprime before tumbling so the SS pins can clean out the primer pockets. I use a Lee Universal Decapper die for that.

If you are just tumbling with corn or walnut, there is no need to deprime before tumbling.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
this