PDA

View Full Version : Value comparison: 7.62x54r vs. 8mm Mauser

GeeDog
02-02-2013, 9:43 AM
I have more 8mm than I need, and less 7.62x54r than I need. The 8mm is all surplus 40's Persian and Turkish, I believe. Instread of buying more 7.62x54r, which may be my better option, and setting aside the variables, are these two rounds somewhat comparable for trade? For example, if I wanted to trade a few hundred rounds of one for a few hundred rounds of the other, would that be reasonable, or is one inherantly harder to find or more expensive than the other?

XDRoX
02-02-2013, 10:10 AM
I haven't bought either of those in years but IIRC 8mm was always a little more expensive than 7.62x54R. I just looked on a couple sites and didn't see any surplus 8mm.

So I doubt you'll have a problem finding someone to trade you.

russt
02-02-2013, 12:13 PM
sgammo has 8mm surplus for 350/1000 so it seems to be quite a bit more expensive than the 159/880 that 7.62x54r goes for

johnny1290
02-02-2013, 5:31 PM
8mm much harder to find and more $$$ I'd trade 3 or 4 to 1 54r to 8mm

edit: I'm assuming the 762 54r is steel core, which is fairly useless around the los angeles area. It looks like firecrackers going off when it riccochets at night at angeles.

OpenSightsOnly
02-02-2013, 5:50 PM
it depends on the quality/type of the ammo being traded.

in socal for example if the ammo is attracted to a magnet, then that may be tough to get traded.

GeeDog
02-02-2013, 10:29 PM
This is great to know everyone. I would be trading local in NorCal and the 300 or so rounds I'd be trading are non-magnetic, and I believe Persian (Iranian?). I want to keep the magnetic silver bullet Turkish stuff, because I hear those are hot loads. Not sure if that's true. The headstamp marking on the non-magnetic is not in a language I understand. The only legible thing is shaped like a little crown with a house-shaped symbol inside it. Not sure if this is quality or not, but I'm glad to know it may be worth more than a 1:1 swap for the Russian stuff. Before I post a trade i guess I'd better research the headstamp so I can tell any potential interested parties what it is.

GeeDog
02-03-2013, 9:06 AM
Ok, so here's my last post to my thread. Did some research, and it's definately Iranian. The stuff seems to have a bad reputation in some circles for hang-fires, and failure to fire. The guy I got it from says he shot 40 rounds and had one half-second hang-fire, and I have no reason not to believe him but I'm not going to risk trading someone ammo that could lead to rants about me giving him a bunch of dangerous or junk ammo. In short, I'll just keep it all and shoot it myslelf, and buy the Russian ammo I need. As always, a lot of helpful folks here with a desire to help educate a newbie to a particlular gun or ammo. Thanks, and good shooting.