PDA

View Full Version : approved handgun list and expiration dates

bulgron
09-16-2007, 10:52 PM
I haven't bought a handgun in years, but lately I've been getting the itch for a Sig Sauer P229. But for budgetary reason, I've been thinking about putting off any purchases until next year (I'm in the middle of a rather expensive home remodel right now.)

Anyway I went looking at the DOJ approved handgun list, and I see that there's an expiration date on individual models of firearms. At least one of the models that I'm interested in (P229 Equinox) is set to expire in December of this year. So my question is, how likely is it that a firearm manufacturer will decide to renew any given model of firearm? Do they let them fall off the list with great frequency? Should I pay careful attention to that expiration date, or can I be safely assured that a manufacturer will renew, at least until microstamping is passed into law (which, I hope, never comes to pass)?

Thanks.

Librarian
09-17-2007, 6:17 AM
If it's a major manufacturer, and the model is still on their web site, then mostly they seem to renew.

After the initial 3-guns + ammo + fee, it's $200 per year per listed model, so if they intend to keep making it the cost to keep it on the Roster isn't a really big deal. If they choose to stop making a model, then that cost goes to benefit almost exclusively the secondary market.

Some posts here lead me to believe the manufacturers or their reps in the field are forthcoming about whether the mfr plans to renew.

bulgron
09-17-2007, 7:57 AM
Ah, thanks. The one model that I mentioned (P229 equinox) is a limited-production model, so I wouldn't be surprised if it falls off the list in December.

Do manufacturers publish somewhere whether they're going to pay the $200 extortion fee, or will a dealer know what Sig is intending to do?

At least now I understand how microstamping really could result in a defacto gun ban in this state.

stator
09-17-2007, 8:00 AM
California Air Resources Board
California Department of Justice

Dear Sir:

Our monitors determined that you have exceeded the safety quotas for exhaled CO2. As you know, CO2 is a dangerous emmissions and compromises the safety of California.

You are advised to apply for an overage permit of 200 units for the remaining year. If you exceed that overage permit, our enforcement unit will have to shut you down for the duration of the year.

It is advisable to slow down your breathing and seek counsel with a licensed air safety attorney.

Sincerley,
JBT (formally known as Moonbeam)
CA Attorney Generaless

bulgron
09-17-2007, 9:42 AM
Is there a point to this off topic post?

California Air Resources Board
California Department of Justice

Dear Sir:

Our monitors determined that you have exceeded the safety quotas for exhaled CO2. As you know, CO2 is a dangerous emmissions and compromises the safety of California.

You are advised to apply for an overage permit of 200 units for the remaining year. If you exceed that overage permit, our enforcement unit will have to shut you down for the duration of the year.

It is advisable to slow down your breathing and seek counsel with a licensed air safety attorney.

Sincerley,
JBT (formally known as Moonbeam)
CA Attorney Generaless