PDA

View Full Version : Gun turn ins - No questions asked?

JawBone
09-16-2007, 8:44 PM
This story is from July, but I hadn't seen it here. Since these turn-ins occur locally with regularity, I thought I'd post it. I'm not sure if local jurisdictions follow the same practice, but...

Source: Chicago Sun Times

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/479681,CST-NWS-gun23.article

Police to check guns from turn-in

July 23, 2007
BY LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporter ldonovan@suntimes.com

There were no questions asked during Chicago's record-breaking gun turn-in event over the weekend.

But that doesn't mean police won't be looking hard at the 6,705 guns people relinquished at churches across the city. Police still want to see if the weapons can be linked to any crimes.

"What will happen is, we process them like any other weapon we recover off the street," Chicago Police Supt. Phil Cline said Sunday.

Cline explained that assault rifles and handguns will be test-fired and compared with bullets or shell casings recovered from any unsolved homicides or shootings.

Should the gun be linked to a crime, the department would enlist the help of the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, which will use the serial number on the gun to trace its ownership history, he said, in hopes of finding the shooter.

Apparently there could be questions asked if those guns come back linked to a crime...So, if you are turning in a gun, with your fingerprints on it, I would be darn sure I knew the full history of that weapon.

Apparently ATF might come asking you some questions after all!

M. Sage
09-16-2007, 8:46 PM
with your fingerprints on it, I would be darn sure I knew the full history of that weapon.

And they'd have a file with my prints... how?

JawBone
09-16-2007, 8:48 PM
And they'd have a file with my prints... how?

OK, you're safe.

Some of us have jobs or licenses that have required us to "give up our prints" in the past.

M. Sage
09-16-2007, 8:49 PM
I know they take a thumbprint scan when I got my DL, but I thought they couldn't just add that to the database. I guess that's what I'm asking.