PDA

View Full Version : Great Editorial: "Ted Nugent owes no apologies"

oaklander
09-16-2007, 8:56 PM
Great editorial - printed today.

http://www.ocregister.com/opinion/nugent-obama-people-1846082-guns-ted

The Orange Grove: Ted Nugent owes no apologies
Gun-grabbing politicians deserve to be target of rocker's rant.
By J.H. HUEBERT

Rocker Ted Nugent has attracted attention lately with a video shot during his recent concert at Anaheim's House of Blues.

In the video, which has made the rounds online and on television, Nugent stands onstage with an AR-15 semiautomatic rifle in each hand. First he tells of his recent visit to Chicago, during which he claims he said to Sen. Barack Obama, "Hey, Obama! You might want to suck on one of these [guns], you punk!" Nugent adds, "Obama, he's a piece of s---, and I told him to suck on my machine gun. Let's hear it for him!"

Nugent then relays details of a recent visit to New York, during which he putatively conveyed a similar message to another Democratic presidential candidate, Sen. Hillary Clinton: "Hey, Hillary! You might want to ride one of these [guns]into the sunset, you worthless b----!" Then he shares similar messages he said he was planning to deliver to California Democratic Sens. Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer during his concert tour of the Golden State.

In the video, the crowd seems wholly receptive to Nugent's ideas. He knows his audience, and no doubt reasonably expected that people who like to hear him sing "Wang Dang Sweet Poontang" and watch him make a guitar explode by shooting it with a flaming arrow would also appreciate the form and content of his political message.

Once the video of Nugent's antics hit the Internet, the reaction from the Left was predictable. A Rolling Stone blog headline was typical, gasping: "Ted Nugent Threatens to Kill Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton During Vicious Onstage Rant!" Nugent was scolded from the right, too. Guest-hosting Fox News' "The O'Reilly Factor," former congressman John Kasich told Nugent that such comments should be "out of bounds." The problem with politics today, said Kasich, is that it's "being ruined because people are being polarized because of the personal attacks and innuendoes being labeled at people ( sic)."

What nonsense!

Personal attacks and innuendo are the least of our political problems. Certainly our leaders' character and behavior have not entitled them to better treatment than they get (which is usually fawning, anyway, especially from TV hosts).

The real problem is one that Nugent and his audience apparently understand: Politicians such as Obama, Clinton, Feinstein and Boxer presume to run our lives from Washington. Specifically, and not coincidentally, all four of Nugent's rhetorical targets are egregious offenders against the critically important right to keep and bear arms.

In his bestselling book, Obama specifically advocates "keeping guns out of the inner cities." Presumably this means he favors gun bans like that of his hometown, Chicago, where crime victims are prohibited from protecting themselves, giving criminals even more confidence that they won't meet armed resistance. Hillary likewise favors increased controls, including a desire (shared with Sen. Feinstein) to force people to take a course and become licensed before they can exercise their rights.

These are not trivial points, of interest only to the kind of people who frequent gun shows and Ted Nugent concerts; they're matters of life and death for the thousands of people each year who use a firearm to save their lives (often simply by brandishing it), to say nothing of the lives that are saved in cities where there is less violent crime simply because criminals know their would-be victims may be armed. (Economist John Lott documents this well in his classic book, "More Guns Less Crime.")

An armed populace is also, of course, an important means of keeping overzealous politicians in check, which gets to the real reason why the likes of Hillary Clinton are so afraid of them when they're in the hands of anyone outside government.

One might observe that these Second Amendment points are well and good, but Nugent's vulgar tirade is far beneath the lofty ideals of our founders. And I'll grant you that it's hard to say how American history would have progressed if, rather than saying "Give me or liberty or give me death!" before the Virginia House of Burgesses, Patrick Henry had instead taken the stage at a local pub, straddled a cannon and hurled some vintage 18th century invective at King George.

But, hey, that kind of stuff has its place. If Americans are ever going to cast off their ever-more-offensive federal government, they're going to need rabble-rousers like Ted Nugent to stir them up, not make-nice types like John Kasich (himself a gun grabber during his days in Congress), telling them to calm down.

So Ted Nugent should go right on disrespectfully waving his guns in the faces of aspiring tyrants, until the day they apologize for their obscene attacks on our liberty.

VegasND
09-16-2007, 9:08 PM
I always did like the Register's editorial page.

Dont Tread on Me
09-16-2007, 9:44 PM
o Ted Nugent should go right on disrespectfully waving his guns in the faces of aspiring tyrants, until the day they apologize for their obscene attacks on our liberty.

Perhaps the best summary of Hilary, Oboma et al.

Crazed_SS
09-16-2007, 11:42 PM
An AR-15 is a machinegun now?

Nugent is an idiot.

Seriously I dont know why gun owners insist on worshipping this guy. Regardless of what you think of Obama, saying "Obama, he's a piece of s---, and I told him to suck on my machine gun. Let's hear it for him!" is pretty dumb. All Nugent does is continue to perpetuate bad stereotypes of gun owners. He isnt helping the cause one bit.

ryang
09-17-2007, 12:32 AM
The article's an amusing read, but I wonder if Nugent illegally imported those AR15s?

tman
09-17-2007, 8:16 AM
The article's an amusing read, but I wonder if Nugent illegally imported those AR15s?
Famous people do whatever they want. They are not bound by "laws" like the peasant class. Same for politicians.

drawn
09-17-2007, 9:58 AM

They're stage props.
The really sad one is the welded cap on the muzzle of his M2.

ca_bubba11
09-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Nugent is a nut. By promoting people like him, the NRA alienates reasonable, responsible people who may not be hardline right-wingers.

I am no longer a NRA member due to the NRAs approval of neo-con nutjobs like Nugent. I know several people who did not renew their membership as well.

The NRA should stick to firearm rights and legislation and not get involved in other politics and slander. Keep a low profile, use good lawyers, try not to start a flame war and incite more hatred of gun owners. Anti-2A legislation cannot be fought and gun rights cannot be restored by waving guns in people's faces. Unfortunately, if you are pro-2A, it seems you also have to support other hardline conservative ideas, hate mongering and ranting, which a lot of people are unwilling to do.

Pappy91W
09-17-2007, 1:03 PM
Ted Nugent is AWESOM! He says publicaally in forums that the average Joe can not, with such exposure, the message gets acrossed. I like that he is brash with the left as well as the fence sitters amongst us.

I'd also lke to add that I **AM** a life NRA member, I do not believe that we'll further our preservation of the 2nd ammendment by being "passive", actually, by being loud and proud, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Being up and in the faces of the left is exactly wha we want. Clear and well defined stances rather than trying to sugar britches with soft kisses the likes of he demoncraps.

GOOD ON THE NUGE!

ca_bubba11
09-17-2007, 2:26 PM
Being up and in the faces of the left is exactly wha we want.

Well, I am pretty left leaning/libertarian. I am also pro-2A and actively exercise my rights, so being up in my face is not going to accomplish anything. Life aint black and white. A person does not automatically fall into the gun grabber camp if he/she is not a conservative. I will never vote for a Republican, ever. There are several other issues that are as much if not more important to me than gun control. Stereotyping anyone who is not a vocal right winger as a left-wing gun grabber is incorrect.

shark92651
09-17-2007, 2:44 PM
Just what is the "NRA approval process"? I don't think Nugent ran those talking points by the NRA - seems more like Rock N Roll concert rabble rousing to me. I think a statement like "I will never vote for a Republican, ever" makes it sound like you are more party-aligned than issue aligned. Never say never. And yes, I think the Nuge was over the top on this one but do you really think this is any worse than what you would hear at a Green Day or Barbera Streisand concert directed at the Republicans?

Well, I am pretty left leaning/libertarian. I am also pro-2A and actively exercise my rights, so being up in my face is not going to accomplish anything. Life aint black and white. A person does not automatically fall into the gun grabber camp if he/she is not a conservative. I will never vote for a Republican, ever. There are several other issues that are as much if not more important to me than gun control. Stereotyping anyone who is not a vocal right winger as a left-wing gun grabber is incorrect.

jdberger
09-17-2007, 2:47 PM
I am no longer a NRA member due to the NRAs approval of neo-con nutjobs like Nugent. I know several people who did not renew their membership as well.

What makes you think Nugent is a "neo-con"?

Or is that just a pejorative that you apply to all Republicans?

Most neo-conservatives (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism)used to be Democrats until they were disallusioned by the party's swing to the far left.

Read the Wiki article linked above. It's pretty well written.

ca_bubba11
09-17-2007, 3:30 PM
I think a statement like "I will never vote for a Republican, ever" makes it sound like you are more party-aligned than issue aligned.

I never said I will vote Democrat; especially if Hillary is the mainstream candidate. I think both parties in their present form do not represent what I believe in. The present day Republicans more so.

As far as Nugent goes, I just do not like irresponsible bat**** insane people "shooting from the hip." This goes for either extreme. I think antics like these actually hurt legal gun owners because antis can point to these people as crazy violent redneck hicks and gain political mileage.

supersonic
09-17-2007, 4:23 PM
Ted Nugent is AWESOM! He says publicaally in forums that the average Joe can not, with such exposure, the message gets acrossed. I like that he is brash with the left as well as the fence sitters amongst us.

I'd also lke to add that I **AM** a life NRA member, I do not believe that we'll further our preservation of the 2nd ammendment by being "passive", actually, by being loud and proud, the squeaky wheel gets the oil. Being up and in the faces of the left is exactly wha we want. Clear and well defined stances rather than trying to sugar britches with soft kisses the likes of he demoncraps.

GOOD ON THE NUGE!

READ: S P E L L C H E C K I S D E F I N I T E L Y Y O U R F R I E N D !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KenpoProfessor
09-17-2007, 5:16 PM
An AR-15 is a machinegun now?

Nugent is an idiot.

Seriously I dont know why gun owners insist on worshipping this guy. Regardless of what you think of Obama, saying "Obama, he's a piece of s---, and I told him to suck on my machine gun. Let's hear it for him!" is pretty dumb. All Nugent does is continue to perpetuate bad stereotypes of gun owners. He isnt helping the cause one bit.

Like you're doing the cause any better sitting on your laurels not worried if the microstamping bill passes, calling everyone idiots for wanting to open carry rifles, etc. etc. ad nauseaum. Whether you want to hear it or not, you, and others like you are the problem.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

Rck'n'ROll
09-17-2007, 5:34 PM
Like you're doing the cause any better sitting on your laurels not worried if the microstamping bill passes, calling everyone idiots for wanting to open carry rifles, etc. etc. ad nauseaum. Whether you want to hear it or not, you, and others like you are the problem.

Clyde

+1000 Kenpo

N6ATF
09-17-2007, 6:37 PM
Nugent's so outspoken against political bull caca that it's a wonder they ever let him on Fox News... the host that had him on one time seemed to be trying to maintain his professional composure during and after the blistering speech.

M. Sage
09-17-2007, 6:43 PM
Famous people do whatever they want. They are not bound by "laws" like the peasant class. Same for politicians.

That mostly flies in CA. That crap doesn't go over well where Nugent and I are from.

Crazed_SS
09-17-2007, 7:06 PM

Clyde

Because Im not on a stage with a rifle cursing and threatening politicians I'm sitting on my laurels? You dont know anything about me.. I've changed more people's minds about guns and got more people into shooting than I care to count.

I guess I could run away to Arizona though.. Im sure would really help things out!

EDIT: And Im pretty sure I never called anyone an idiot for wanting to open carry a rifle. Keep making stuff up though. You're good at that.

ca_bubba11
09-17-2007, 7:21 PM
Because Im not on a stage with a rifle cursing and threatening politicians I'm sitting on my laurels? You dont know anything about me.. I've changed more people's minds about guns and got more people into shooting than I care to count.

Meh, don't worry about it. Some gun owners think that unless you are a hardliner who rants and raves, you are not helping the cause. Attitudes like these only divide gun owners. I firmly believe that the way to change things is legislatively and in the courts. Getting up in people's faces achieves nothing, but reinforces the "gun nut" stereotype. Cool headed professionals are the ones who can change things. Look at the OLL situation in CA for instance. You think we'd have gotten this far if we had a bunch of people waving their black rifles on TV ? It is due to cool headed, educated people who can control their emotions (such as the influential people on calguns).

KenpoProfessor
09-18-2007, 3:43 AM
Meh, don't worry about it. Some gun owners think that unless you are a hardliner who rants and raves, you are not helping the cause. Attitudes like these only divide gun owners. I firmly believe that the way to change things is legislatively and in the courts. Getting up in people's faces achieves nothing, but reinforces the "gun nut" stereotype. Cool headed professionals are the ones who can change things. Look at the OLL situation in CA for instance. You think we'd have gotten this far if we had a bunch of people waving their black rifles on TV ? It is due to cool headed, educated people who can control their emotions (such as the influential people on calguns).

Yea, we saw how cool heads and trying to change things legslatively worked in Sacramento City Hall on the ammo sales bill, and it's all on video.

Maybe if one of the non supporters had jumped on the podium in a loincloth and lipsynched and air guitared "Stranglehold", we would've got some better results .:D

Clyde