PDA

View Full Version : Gas Mask Question (semi-prepper related)

MattyB
01-31-2013, 6:06 PM
I have a question but it has to do with the prepper keeping the kid hostage in his underground bunker.

Reports are that the LEO and FEDs are talking to the man through a 4" air inlet into the bunker.

My first thought was why not fill the bunker with N20 (nitrous oxide) and more or less have them pass out?

Then I thought that maybe he has a gas mask on that could somehow filter that out and that is my question.

Are there non-fresh air systems (no oxygen tank) that can filter out a gas like N2O?

spy-d
01-31-2013, 6:14 PM
I was wondering the same thing.
But, the amount of gas needed to knock out the adult, MAY Kill the kid.
So, the waiting game contunes.

badreligion
01-31-2013, 7:05 PM
While they can communicate they probably don't know the layout of this bunker or what else be may have inside to prevent an entry team from gaining access. In this situation there are to many variables present which make a successful (rescue the child alive) breach possible. Killing or harming is one of the worst things anyone can do. If the child is killed during a rescue operation it is worse in the current political climate where you have the government claiming to be the security and safety professionals. They would lose a lot of credibility if things went wrong during a rescue, something they can't afford. If this lunitic kills the kid it strengthens their arguement to a point. If the kid lives and unharmed everyone celebrates.

It's nearly a perfect catch 22.

ElvenSoul
01-31-2013, 7:28 PM
Because it would kill him and his son.

LCU1670
01-31-2013, 7:29 PM
You would displace the oxygen and kill the inhabitants

FMFdevildoc
01-31-2013, 7:31 PM
There are NO APR (air purifying respirator) or military type masks that can address OXYGEN DEFICIENT environments.

None.

MattyB
01-31-2013, 7:37 PM
I asked about the gas mask, if there are filter type masks that can filter one gas and not another but the conversation is interesting. They seem to know that his bunker is something like 4x8 from reports and 4' underground. They know his size and the kids so I would guess that they could possibly introduce something in order to at least make them super drowsy.

I dunno if its a chimney they are talking through but I would think a boroscope could be used to get the lay of the land.

I do concede that he may have the entrances boobytrapped and even if they knocked them out, opening a door could kill everyone involved.

Getting off topic, I wonder if they would attempt to dig around the bunker and enter a different way. It does give some insight into how secure an underground bunker is. There is really nothing an outsider can do and in other circumstances would probably move on.

LCU1670
02-01-2013, 6:29 AM
Adding a incompacitating gas is hard, the Russians tried fentanyl in a movie theater and some died. Digging maybe hard to disguise, the Peruvians did it successfully years ago in an embassy hostage situation. My guess, time is on the good guys side, wait and wear the guy down.

Also, protective mask is a better term than gas mask. It is not really a gas mask, a gas mask is those respirators that you choose the proper filters based on what is being protected against. Protective masks are pretty much just carbon.

Vin63
02-01-2013, 7:01 AM
There are NO APR (air purifying respirator) or military type masks that can address OXYGEN DEFICIENT environments.

None.

This is correct. I have to wear a respirator mask when I warm up my funny car (see my avatar), and while it filters the organics, it does not replenish oxygen.

MattyB
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
This is correct. I have to wear a respirator mask when I warm up my funny car (see my avatar), and while it filters the organics, it does not replenish oxygen.

Wuss :p Real men can breathe nitro all day long and not cry lol.

Btw the more I thought about it the more I figured out there wouldnt be a filter capable of removing nitrous oxide while keeping the oxegen available since nitrous oxide is a just a redisigned molecule of two gases in breathable air.

I saw an animation of the bunker on tv today and I feel sorry for that kid. He has less room than a jail cell and is occupying it with a sadistic madman.

I did come up with the possible thought that if they could get the mans head under the pvc air pipe, they could shoot him in the melon and then figure out a safe way to extract the kid.