PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Entry Level F/TR Rifle

SDJim
09-15-2007, 12:47 PM
I’d like to get into F/TR shooting. We’ve been kicking the topic around the office for the last few days. I work with a couple of guys who all shoot Service Rifle and some LR (5-600yds) for competition.

We’ve discussed the REM 700 option to death but several of the guys mentioned other possibilities.

The first is this package like this built off of a Howa 1500 receiver

http://www.snipercentral.com/entrypackage.htm

or, something like this offered from Savage the 12 F/TR Precision Target Rifle

http://www.savagearms.com/2007_pressrelease.htm

My BIL back in IL who swears by Savage (he’s a big hunter who owns 8 – 12 Savages and only 2 Remington’s for different types of game) says go with the Savage for the best out of the box accuracy.

My only issue with the Savage would be cutting the barrel down to 24-26” and turning the last inch down to .820 to accept a match sight base so I can shoot irons with the same rifle.

While $$$ isn’t a huge problem (I love being a new “empty nester”) I’m not sure this is a discipline I would concentrate on so I’m looking for something inexpensive (as opposed to cheap) that I can put some money into later. On that note, I was surprised on the amount of after market items available for the Savage now.

Looking forward to hearing differing opinions.

SDJIm

proraptor
09-15-2007, 1:03 PM
I go with the savage target....Those actions and triggers are amazing....If I build another rifle up Im going to use one of those actions

Fjold
09-15-2007, 4:12 PM
Go with the Savage rifle a 10FP, etc and just buy a match rifle barrel in any configuration that you want. You can change the barrel yourself with a regular vice and a Savage barrel nut wrench. Swap it back and forth as much as you like.

I'd but a three position stock and a match barrel and just trade it back and forth.

Timberwolf
09-15-2007, 9:06 PM
Odd man out - go with the Chevy small block of LR shooting - Remmy 700

awheelman357
09-15-2007, 10:30 PM
I second the remmy 700.

PistolPete75
09-17-2007, 3:21 PM
i third the remmy 700. you get what you pay for.

Prc329
09-17-2007, 3:28 PM
I’d like to get into F/TR shooting. We’ve been kicking the topic around the office for the last few days. I work with a couple of guys who all shoot Service Rifle and some LR (5-600yds) for competition.

We’ve discussed the REM 700 option to death but several of the guys mentioned other possibilities.

The first is this package like this built off of a Howa 1500 receiver

http://www.snipercentral.com/entrypackage.htm

or, something like this offered from Savage the 12 F/TR Precision Target Rifle

http://www.savagearms.com/2007_pressrelease.htm

My BIL back in IL who swears by Savage (he’s a big hunter who owns 8 – 12 Savages and only 2 Remington’s for different types of game) says go with the Savage for the best out of the box accuracy.

My only issue with the Savage would be cutting the barrel down to 24-26” and turning the last inch down to .820 to accept a match sight base so I can shoot irons with the same rifle.

While $$$ isn’t a huge problem (I love being a new “empty nester”) I’m not sure this is a discipline I would concentrate on so I’m looking for something inexpensive (as opposed to cheap) that I can put some money into later. On that note, I was surprised on the amount of after market items available for the Savage now.

Looking forward to hearing differing opinions.

SDJIm

The Savage barrel tapers to .820 at the nose on my 24". Cutting it to 20 made it .870 before it was threaded.

ocabj
09-17-2007, 3:33 PM
For F-Class, I'd go with the Savage. I don't know what's up with the 12 F/TR gun they have, but if it uses the same 'beefier' action as the Long Range Precision varminter, I'd definitely go with that. If anything, you can get the receiver/trigger/bolt package they are supposed to be selling (sans barrel and stock) and build on that with your favorite barrel and stock.

As far as adapting the same gun for NRA Match Rifle class High Power (XTC and Long Range), I can't provide expert advice. I'm still looking to build a Match Rifle myself, for XTC (and maybe long range). I was thinking about sticking with the AR platform and going with a 6mm derivative (specifically 6mmAR). But I think I'm still going to go with the Remington 700 using Gary Eliseo's tube gun kit and shooting 6mmBR. I prefer the tube gun design because you don't have to move your face from the stock to operate the bolt (which is obviously a huge advantage in rapids). I'm not adamant with regards to the 700, but it's the action that Eliseo designed his kit for. If he made it for the Savage, I'd use a Savage. If I had the money, I'd get a Tubb 2000...

It seems like Savage is getting into the Match / Long Range High Power sport since they recently became sponsors for the US Young Eagles Rifle Team. I remember reading that Savage is designing a Palma rifle, but haven't heard much else about it.

Timberwolf
09-17-2007, 3:46 PM
If I had the money, I'd get a Tubb 2000...

Amen to that - had the pleasure of shooting one a couple of years ago and outside of its non tacticool "buck rogers" appearence its one of the best handling / shooting rifles its ever been my pleasure to fire.

proraptor
09-17-2007, 9:54 PM
The new savage FT/R was shooting .88 inch at 500 yards out of the box for one magazine editor with handloads...Thats damn good accuracy if you ask me for a stock gun....

Im sticking with savage

simon_sw
09-19-2007, 10:01 AM
+1 for Savage 10FP in .308

My steps to Precision Shooting.

1) Learned how to reload at Angeles. The gentleman at the Reloading store there was very helpful during the course. Figured it would help me in the long run on reloading bulk .45acp.

2) Ended up shooting a bolt gun (Remy 700)for the first time with the 223 that I loaded up myself. Shot pretty decent groups, but it was probably more the rifle than the shooter.

3) Precision Rifle Disease Started!

Seriously forget BRD, its about PRD. :D Taking in trajectory of the bullet, understanding the effect of twist rate for your particular projectile weight, and understanding how to tune your handloads for your rifle. I think you learn a lot more about the shooting hobby doing benchrest shooting than the weekend warriors that come in and blast 300 rds of 223 outta there ARs at the range.

Ended up starting the DROS on a Savage 10FP (.308) last night. Shopping for optics today and maybe the Riflebasix trigger.

For the other savage shooters here, what base did you end up choosing for the scope? And did you choose 30mm tube or 1 in tube for the scope? I was leaning towards 30mm.

I felt the Savage was one of the bangs for the buck. The Remington Police was a little too much for what I wanted to spend ($890 before transfer fees).

rksimple
09-19-2007, 10:05 AM
+1 for Savage 10FP in .308

Ended up starting the DROS on a Savage 10FP (.308) last night. Shopping for optics today and maybe the Riflebasix trigger.

For the other savage shooters here, what base did you end up choosing for the scope? And did you choose 30mm tube or 1 in tube for the scope? I was leaning towards 30mm.

Try the accutrigger first. You may really like it.

Whats your budget for a scope?

simon_sw
09-19-2007, 11:55 AM
Agreed on trying the accu trigger first.

I was only thinking of replacing the accutrigger with the rifle basix one because I am kinda of a tinkerer.

For glass, I was looking to have a budget of around 600. Not including the base and rings. The base I was looking at the Warne one piece and the Warne rings as well.

Seems a few people over at the sniper's paradise and a few other long range shooting forums mentioned the Warne as a good buy. I was looking at the Badger Ordnance one, but it was a bit more cash than the Warne.

Any opinions on base and rings as well as glass? If there really wasn't a good option in the $600 and under bracket I would be willing to go up to the IOR 4-14x50 ($900 cheapest I could find).

Oh yah, forgot to mention I wear glasses and the first time I used a scope I was having a few vision issues. Could not really look through the scope at times. Anyone have any suggestions to correct this without going to contacts or lasik? The other challenge I'm dealing with right now, is the fact that I am left eye dominant, but right handed, don't want to resort to being a left handed shooter, any tips on training the right eye to be the dominant eye?

rksimple
09-19-2007, 12:28 PM
Warne makes good bases. Go with a 20 MOA base if you plan on some long range work to 1000 yards. Burris extreme rings have a very good reputation and can be had at a good price.

As far as the scope, in the $600 range, you're looking at Leupold. They are OK, given the price. If you have the money, go with that IOR. The glass is superb and it will only help your vision issues that would otherwise be exacerbated by the cheaper glass of the Leupold. There is also an IOR 2.5-10x42 FFP that is bullet proof. Its a little more in your price range too. Scott at www.libertyoptics.com has them for under $800 shipped. He is the man when it comes to IOR.

Good luck with everything.

Prc329
09-19-2007, 12:34 PM
I am running a Warne base and Burris Xtreme rings. Very solid combo. I am very pleased. So pleased I ordered the sam base (20MOA though) for my new build. Warne base is a good buy. Very solid and should be much more expensive. I would save up the extra bills for the IOR. Also look at Nikon as well. As far as the glasses thing, can't help you. I started shooting a few months after I had lasik. Best $3000 I ever spent.

simon_sw
09-19-2007, 2:21 PM
Thanks for the prompt and informative replies! (both of you guys prc and rksimple) It seems I am being swayed to the IOR. :) Guess the old plastic card disease will have to kick in a lil bit. I think these diseases come in swarms and cure for any of them does not exist. PRD---> PCD (plastic card disease)

Will definitely be checking out that link for glass. See you guys at angeles within the next month.

ar15barrels
09-20-2007, 10:41 PM
The Savage barrel tapers to .820 at the nose on my 24". Cutting it to 20 made it .870 before it was threaded.

True, but he needs a straight shank about 1.25" long or so to clamp a front sight base to.
The factory barrel taper won't work.

If he gets his own barrel nut wrench, I can put that straight shank on the barrel really easily for him.

Solidsnake87
06-10-2008, 6:50 PM
You could always get an FN SPR. They come in .308 and have a guaranteed accuracy out of the box. The chrom lined barrels last a long time and the rifle comes stock with a lot of features many rifles won't have off the bat. The standard base is 20 MOA. Also, FN is having a special on their firearms right now. Get an FN SPR from now till august and get a set of premium 30mm rings. Pretty awesome if you ask me. Saves me $150-200. This is not a bad choice to go for an out of the box semi-custom rifle. I just picked one up to get into tactical and F class shooting.

ar15barrels
06-11-2008, 1:06 AM
SDJim-

Did you ever figure out what was up with that Savage bolt that was misfiring a few weeks ago?

SDJim
06-11-2008, 5:24 AM
SDJim-

Did you ever figure out what was up with that Savage bolt that was misfiring a few weeks ago?
Randall,

This reply was burried back in an older post . . .
Many thanks to those who spent the better part of two hours helping me troubleshoot.
For those who gave suggestions:
When I got home, I checked the headspace . . . Closed on the go, didn't on the no-go.

Then I tried to figure out how to check to see if I had set the shoulder back to far when I sized the cases. I found out a deepwell 3/8" socket indexed right off the midline of the case shoulder.
So as a reference the go gauge read (this includes the length of the socket) 3.588
A LR118 case fired from the same rifle 3.589
New LR118 3.587
New BH 175 3.587
New BH 175 I attempted to fire 3.5875
My reloads 3.588

So while my reloads appear to be longer than factory, they are right in there with the go-gauge, and as they fired in Jicko's rifle, I don't think it was the ammo, which leaves the bolt.

I cleaned and scrubbed everything inside & out, then I adjusted the fp stop to set the firing pin protrusion to .054, I'll have to call Savage and see what the recommended setting is and then I tightened down on the cocking piece till the cocking pin hit on the bolt, then backed it off till I had .050 clearance, so now I'm sure the pin is bottoming out in the bolt and not getting hung up on the pin.

I cycled the bolt and pulled the trigger and there is a much
more noticable "thunk" (the guys helping me noticed the anemic click) as the pin goes forward.

Short of firing a couple of primed cases in the garage (how loud is that by the way?) I'll have to wait till the next time I go to the range.

Thanks for listening . . .

Update - I called the Savage Tech Help Line yesterday (5/27) and they were less than helpful. I asked what the spec was on the firing pin and the person on the line was forthcoming untill she asked if I was a "licenced" gunsmith, as soon as I said no, she said they couldn't help me and to send the bolt in for repair/replacement.

When I got home from work, I pulled down five of the rounds I loaded the primed cases (two that I tried to fire, three that were "virgins") and fired them into a 5 gal bucket with some damp towels in the bottom. It was much less impressive than I originally expected.

Five attempts, five fired primers. I guess I'll bring the bolt gun with me to South Bay and give it a try after next months HP match.

Still haven't had a chance to get out to the range with this rifle. I need to get a long weekend here again.

widnerkj
06-23-2008, 7:02 PM
Have you looked at Larue Tactical scope mounts? I've always used them on my builds. End up as the most solid one piece Q/D mount i've ever seen.

As for the action it's self, I'd run with the savage. With the accutrigger, it's one of my fav. I used to have a long action in 7mm rem mag. That I dropped and bedded into a boyd thumbhole laminated stock. I loved that gun untill someone at the range offered me $1,400 for it.