View Full Version : new and need advice

09-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Well, to begin with the intro, I live in the San Diego area. I'm a college student so it goes without saying that I'm on a tight budget. As far as the armory is concerned, it's limited to a Savage 7mm Magnum and a Ruger 10/22 LR. I love them both and I would recommend them to anyone. That being said, I'm looking to add a few more weapons. Currently, I'm interested in purchasing a good shotgun that can be used for both hunting and home-defense, a California legal SKS, and a Mosin-Nagant. From what I've read, I'd like to find an 1891/30 in good condition but I wouldn't mind owning either the m38 or m44.

I would appreciate any and all advice that I can get with regards to purchasing the above mentioned weapons.

09-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Get a C&R license, it won't help with the shotgun but it will with the rest.

09-15-2007, 1:20 AM
Is it difficult to get a C&R license, or can anyone who can legally own a firearm get the C&R license as well?

09-15-2007, 7:25 AM
Here's the ATF's Q&A for collectors: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/faqs_collect.htm and the Q&A for licensing: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/fflc/ffl/faqs_lic.htm. What you want to do is call 703-455-7801 and ask for a form 7CR be sent to you, fill it out and send it back with a check for $30, forward a copy to your local PD, and anxiously wait. After 4-6 weeks you'll get your 03FFL license in the mail along with a stack of regs and books.

Send copies of your license to all the online resellers right away, and you can then buy direct from them. Don't forget to send copies to MidwayUSA, Brownells, and CDNN as they will extend their dealer discounts to you.

09-15-2007, 7:34 AM
This site also has a great step by step on getting your C&R.

Surplus Rifle C&R Info (http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2005/howtogetyourcurionrelicffl03/index.asp)

09-15-2007, 12:07 PM
I read in another thread on this forum and on the link JawBone posted that one must be 21 years of age to be able to apply for a C&R license. Since I am not yet 21, does this prevent me from purchasing and owning either the mosin-nagant and/or the SKS? Are they both considered C&R? What can I legally purchase?

09-16-2007, 11:06 AM
Hi $imple If you are going to be in the Los Angeles (West Covina) area on November 3rd 2007 you might want to consider going to this auction. http://www.gunslingerauctions.com/
Jeff will post several lists on the guns going for auction within the next several weeks so you have to periodically click on this web site. The guns will sell for the final bid plus 10% plus tax and DROS fees. You pay a one time DROS fee $35 for long guns no matter how many you win that night. Then you have to pay $35 each for every handgun you win. That's California for you. If you do see a rifle you would want to get make sure you do your research into it so you don't go over what you want to pay. Sometimes it just gets tempting to "win" and many people overpay. Anyway if you have any questions about this auction feel free to email me. Take care.

09-16-2007, 9:05 PM
I've been trying to decipher the information available on the C&R subject and I'm confused as to whether or not I can purchase rifles designated as C&R without a C&R license. I know it sounds as if you would obviously need a C&R license to purchase them but the more I read, the more confusing it gets. Are the advantages of the C&R license basically that you can purchase across state lines and you can get a discount? Or does it also include the seemingly obvious that only a person with a C&R license can actually purchase C&R designated weapons. I would really appreciate some clarification on this issue.

Thanks for all the help!

09-16-2007, 9:38 PM
You mixing up C&R rifles and C&R liscence.

A C&R rifle is over 50 years old. You can do a face to face transfer with no dealer. If your not doing a face to face transfer with a non liscenced person it is treated as any other long gun.

This site is wealthy with info about C&R liscence. From what I understand a C&R liscence holder can purchase any rifle 50 years or older and have it shipped to his door and/or skip a background check. You must keep a record of all transactions. You must be atleast 21 years old to get a liscence.

09-16-2007, 10:06 PM
So you can purchase a C&R rifle without a C&R license minus the shipping/background check/across state lines benefit? I have been browsing this site and just when I think I understand, I stumble upon another site written by a monkey!

09-16-2007, 11:22 PM
If you purchase a C&R rifle without a liscence you have 3 situations:
1) Face to face transfer = no FFL dealer
2) Purchase from a dealer = 10 day wait period + background check
3) Transfer from out of state to a local dealer = 10 wait period + background check

If you own a C&R liscence in any of those 3 situation you do not perform a background check and you either take it home the day you purchase or it can be shipped to your door from out of state.

09-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Since no one has touched on your shotgun question, if I recall, Big-5 used to sell a Mossberg 500 "Combo" (I think they still do) that has an 18.5" barrel (home defense) and a 28" inch barrel (hunting).

You may want to check into that, it's a decent shotgun for a reasonable price - it comes up on their sale flyer every so often.