PDA

View Full Version : Couple of reloading questions..........

zealot9802
01-30-2013, 6:38 AM
Ive been reading through the Lyman 49th book and i have a couple of questions.

1. Once brass has been deprimed. How clean should the pocket be? As shiny as rest of brass or just enough to get spent powder?

2. How deep do i flare the brass to make the projectile seating easier? I believe i read 1/16, but i cant find it anywhere to confirm what i think i read.

Im sorry guys. Im trying to answer all my question on my own.

Some reference:

Loading 45acp with RCBS 3 die setup
RCBS rock chucker supreme

J-cat
01-30-2013, 6:44 AM
1. Only clean enough to allow the primer anvil to bottom out.

2. Only enough to allow the base of the bullet to clear the case mouth without collapsing the case and/or shaving lead off the bullet during seating. This means a very minimal flare for jacketed bullets and a larger flare for lead.

Bill Steele
01-30-2013, 6:53 AM
I don't clean my primer pockets on handgun loads. I agree with J-cat on number 2, a better explanation than I could do.

zealot9802
01-30-2013, 6:54 AM
Thank you. Silly questions that i wish i would of been able to find myself.

XDRoX
01-30-2013, 7:11 AM
I also don't clean pistol primer pockets.

How much flare is pretty much a personal question. I tend to flare slightly more than other because I like to just be able to throw the bullet on the case and not worry about it falling to the side as I pull it into the seating die. Some guys don't mind keeping a hand on the bullet and guiding it into the die. Just takes a little longer.

The more you flare your cases the more it will shorten their lifespans, but I've never really had a problem. When my cases split it's always down the side.

In Dillon's instruction manual for their machines they have some diagrams of "too much" and "just right" amount of flare.

You could always post a picture and we could give you our opinion.

BigBronco
01-30-2013, 7:46 AM
I do not clean Pistol pockets also. Rifle I do.

Light flare only to insure the edges of the case do not scrape lead or copper.

blockfort
01-30-2013, 9:36 AM
No primer pocket cleaning on pistol, primer pocket uniforming tool on my rifle until completely shiny at the bottom.

I also flare just enough to easily put a bullet on top and have it stay there.

zealot9802
01-30-2013, 9:55 AM
Thanks everyone. Great info

RandyD
01-30-2013, 10:01 AM
I agree with the above posters.

Most primer pocket reamers are set to prevent you from reaming more than the standard depth, and they do a good job of cleaning the primer pocket.

Flaring pistol brass wears it out, so I only flare as little to let me set a bullet on top of the case.

popeye4
01-31-2013, 2:08 PM
Thank you. Silly questions that i wish i would of been able to find myself.

The only silly questions in handloading are the ones that need to be asked and aren't. You can blow yourself up in this hobby (or at least put someone's eye out, as my mother used to say), so please ask away.

tangocharlie7
02-01-2013, 4:37 AM
I don't clean primer pockets on any pistol brass, just rifle. they make cheap primer pocket cleaners if you want to just to understand the process. I usually run fingers down .45 acp brass to feel the flare. If the flare is just enough to where you can notice it and the bullet sits on the brass without falling or angling sideways (pre jamming in the die downstroke) than you should be good to go. if you run your fingers down the brass and the flare is very noticable than you probably have too much. Or if you put the bullet on the brass and it "sinks" more than just a tad, than you probably have too much flare.

Whiterabbit
02-01-2013, 8:51 AM
You can measure how much flare you need/want easily:

Measure your brass with calipers. find 4-5 that are "among" the shortest of the bunch.

Take one and put a minimum flare on it. JUST enough so the bullet sits "in" the brass, not "on" it. .050-ish inside the case.

Seat the bullet. Is there any lead shaving? If so, put the expander ball down a little bit and try on case #2.

Keep going till you find the setting that doesnt shave lead on your short brass. Lock the expander ball at that setting and you are good to go forever, for all bullets.

If in the future you change bullet size by a thou or so, or try a new bullet, and find you shave one or two, just put the expander down a smidge more and re-expand.