PDA

View Full Version : NRA Forces Resignation of Fish & Game Commish pushing for lead ammo ban!!!

DrjonesUSA
09-14-2007, 8:04 AM
Hahahaha!!!!!!!I LOVE IT!!!!!

Please remember to call & thank the governor for this action after you ask him to VETO AB 1471!!!!!!!

http://www.sacbee.com/111/story/378564.html

Another shot in ammo battle
State Fish and Game Commission member quits, citing pressure over condor protection.

By Matt Weiser - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, September 14, 2007

A growing political battle over restricting lead hunting ammunition claimed a high-profile victim Thursday with the resignation of R. Judd Hanna from the California Fish and Game Commission.

Hanna submitted his resignation to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Thursday morning. In an e-mail to supporters, obtained by The Bee, Hanna said he was told to leave by the Schwarzenegger administration following pressure from the National Rifle Association.

The commission has been debating whether to restrict lead hunting ammunition to protect the endangered California condor and other wildlife. The NRA has been a leading opponent, claiming such limits could prevent some people from hunting and open the door to additional ammo restrictions.

The Bee reported Thursday that 34 Republican legislators wrote Schwarzenegger on Monday, urging him to remove Hanna from the commission. They claim he was "not being impartial" in the ammo debate.

"It's not about me, it's about the condor and it's about the NRA hijacking the system," Hanna, 66, told The Bee on Thursday in a telephone interview. "And it's a shame because I'm not only a hunter, I'm a Republican."

Schwarzenegger spokesman Aaron McLear would not say whether Hanna was asked to resign. The administration, he said, does not comment on personnel matters. But he did respond to the NRA accusation.

"In general, I can tell you the NRA and any other group never has any undue influence on the governor," McLear said. "He always leads and makes decisions based on principle."

NRA officials in California did not respond to several requests for comment.

Commissioners serve at the governor's pleasure and can be removed at any time.

Hanna, a Tehama County farmer, was appointed to a six-year term on the commission by Schwarzenegger in February. He is a retired Navy pilot, Vietnam War veteran, duck hunter, fisherman and former real estate developer. He also serves on the board of the California Wildlife Foundation and the Lassen Park Foundation. He also contributed to Schwarzenegger's 2006 campaign.

But Republicans didn't like the way Hanna did his own research on the lead ammo issue. In their letter to the governor, legislators complained that he distributed a 167-page document on the subject to other commissioners at an Aug. 27 meeting, and that his notes on the document suggest he decided to support restrictions.

In the e-mail obtained by The Bee, Hanna said he was simply following guidance given to the commission by its attorney. That advice, he said, obligated commissioners to share any information that contributes to their decision-making process.

"I have done a thorough job and listened respectfully to all sides," Hanna wrote. "The evidence is overwhelming. Lead from ammunition is the primary cause of illness and death in the ... California condor."

Bullets and shotgun pellets made of lead are believed to be responsible for poisoning and killing numerous rare California condors. Birds ingest the projectiles when they feed on carcasses and entrails left behind or lost by hunters.

In July, 45 leading condor scientists and toxicologists signed a statement asserting that a "robust chain of evidence" indicates lead ammunition poisons condors.

But the NRA and a few other hunting groups believe the evidence isn't clear. They think the lead that is poisoning condors could be coming from garbage the scavengers also eat, or from the environment.

Assemblyman Pedro Nava, D-Santa Barbara, said Hanna's departure emphasizes why legislation is often needed to protect wildlife in California.

Nava is the author of Assembly Bill 821, the Ridley-Tree Condor Preservation Act, which would restrict lead ammunition in specific areas of condor habitat. It awaits the governor's signature.

"The future of this endangered species is much too important to be left in the hands of a politicized agency, as this clearly is," Nava said. "The signal that it sends to the Fish and Game commissioners is that if they support a reasonable restriction on lead ammunition, their job is in jeopardy."

Sen. Dennis Hollingsworth, R-Temecula, wrote the letter to the governor that was signed by 33 other Republicans in the Legislature. He did not respond to calls for comment from The Bee. Sen. Roy Ashburn, R-Bakersfield, also did not respond to a request for comment. His district includes much of the condor's habitat.

Attempts to reach other members of the Fish and Game Commission also were unsuccessful.

chico.cm
09-14-2007, 8:26 AM
Excellent. I am so glad to see that accountability is finally creeping up on people!

elenius
09-14-2007, 8:33 AM
Awesome!

I guess we can safely assume that the bill will be vetoed then?

Kestryll
09-14-2007, 8:38 AM
Awesome!

I guess we can safely assume that the bill will be vetoed then?

NO!!
Don't assume this means it over!!

We still need to call on this and AB1471, until they are vetoed we are not done.

I can too easily see Arnie firing this guy to threow the hunters a bone and then signing the bill to throw the Dems a bone, trying to appease both sides.

bwiese
09-14-2007, 8:40 AM
NO!!
Don't assume this means it over!!

We still need to call on this and AB1471, until they are vetoed we are not done.

It's not over 'til the Fat Lady Sings, and that big ***** is still quiet.

So stop dancing and start writing and dialling!

RRangel
09-15-2007, 9:40 PM
I noticed the resignation was big news in the Red LA Times. Of course it was painted to be an offense against the church of environmentalism.

I can only hope this is a good sign as far as this pathetic law is concerned. It's about time things happen when our rights are jeopardized. How about our concerned reps do this more often?

C.G.
09-15-2007, 10:19 PM
It's not over 'til the Fat Lady Sings, and that big ***** is still quiet.

So stop dancing and start writing and dialling!

I think it is more like "sing, *****, sing".

CavTrooper
09-16-2007, 6:48 AM
Was it the letter from the 34 republican legislators that cost this fella his job or was it the NRA?

Either way, its a good step, hopefully this lame bill will be vetoed.

elenius
09-16-2007, 6:58 AM
Was it the letter from the 34 republican legislators that cost this fella his job or was it the NRA?

Either way, its a good step, hopefully this lame bill will be vetoed.

I got the impression that the NRA persuaded them to send the letter, so both?

otteray
09-16-2007, 9:36 AM
Our local paper's article a couple of days ago (Santa Cruz Sentinal) indicated it will still likely pass...

hoffmang
09-18-2007, 11:34 AM
To oppose AB-821:

Call 1-916-445-2841

1 For English
2 for Assembly Bills
0 for a Human
Tell them that you oppose AB 821 - lead ammunition ban.

They'll say something along the lines of "I'll make a note of that and pass it on - have a good day."

That's all you have to do. The more you do that, the more likely it is that this will be added to the automated phone tree.

-Gene

Anthonysmanifesto
09-18-2007, 2:48 PM
There is no reason to assume the NRA had anything to do with this letter.

there is no way to predict what these articles will do to the signing/ veto process.