PDA

View Full Version : Beyond a Camper....

Lex
01-29-2013, 9:04 AM
I wouldn't call it a BOV, but it could. I wouldn't called it a camper, but it could. I wouldn't call it a truck, but it could. I have a 1975 M109A3 converted into a camper. It has too many things to list but I will highlight a few:
1975 M109A3

* Seats 6 with 4 point seat belts
* Sleeps 4 (3 beds = 2 twins and one long bed for my kids)
* 200W Solar panels
* 5 deep cycle batteries
* 24/7 12v freezer (80 cu inch)
* Electric stove/ propane stove & grill
* Microwave
* Computer with Wireless Range Extender
* Play Station 3
* Back Up Camera
* 1080p 27” TV & Monitor
* Laminated & insulated Floor
* Insulated walls
* Interior and exterior LED Lights
* 10 Gallon Propane Tank
* 2 low pressure and 1 high pressure propane outlet
* 3 gas tanks (185 gallons total) 1,250 mile range
* Custom build 85 tank
* On Board Mobile Used Motor Oil Processing
* 1 CB radio with PA system
* 2 Ham Radios Dual Bands and HF Bands with Yaesu ATAS 120 Antenna
* 4 Back-Up Antennas with different frequency
* 200+ can food & equipment storage
* AC/Heater Electric
* Propane Heater
* 7000W Generator
* 2000W Inverter
* 1000W Inverter
* Wireless Speakers for IPod
* 6 x 6 - 10 wheels
* Complete rescue equipment
* 40 gallon Water Storage
* Multi-fuel (able to use 9 different type of fuel/oil including Used Motor Oil)
* 6.5 mpg
* It has 12v, 24v, 110v and 220v
* On Board compressed air outlets
* 12V alternator for battery Charging
* Ottoman for DVD & Electronic accessories and cooler.
* Fishing poles and Canopy Stands storage
* Gunport
* Future Mode: 4 wide angle outdoor cameras
* Many others not going to list.... too sensitive info....

I use it as a camper but taken many trips to the desert and the beach. .... It is a truly an All-Terrain Vehicle. However, it is my Ham Shack. I have 5 antennas and few ham radios. It can operates as a mobile communication center, or just a camper that is both great in the desert and on the beach. I call it "Hamper" Ham + Camper = Hamper.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=198805&d=1359482915

wpage
01-29-2013, 9:09 AM
Sounds Great!

Yehosha
01-29-2013, 9:09 AM
I wouldn't call it a BOV, but it could. I wouldn't called it a camper, but it could. I wouldn't call it a truck, but it could. I have a 1975 M109A3 converted into a camper. It has too many things to list but I will highlight a few:
* Seats 7 with seat belts
* Sleeps 4
* Solar panels
* 5 deep cycle batteries
* 24/7 12v freezer
* Electric stove
* Microwave
* Computer
* PS3
* Laminated Floor
* Insulated walls
* Interior and exterior LED
* 10 Gallon Propane Tank
* 3 gas tanks (185 gallons total)
* 1 CB radio
* 2 Ham Radios
* Lots of can food storage and equipment storage
* AC/Heater
* 3200W Generator
* 2000W Inverter
* Wireless Speakers for Ipod
* 6 x 6
* Multi-fuel
* Many others not going to list....

Nice! How much did that set you back? Also I see you listed as living in SoCal, so do you have that thing parked somewhere outside the area so you can get to it and actually be able to bug out in it if you needed to?

Lex
01-29-2013, 9:15 AM
Nice! How much did that set you back? Also I see you listed as living in SoCal, so do you have that thing parked somewhere outside the area so you can get to it and actually be able to bug out in it if you needed to?

Not too much.. I did most of the work myself. I spent about $4k addition to the truck.

Onetyme
01-29-2013, 9:32 AM
That's a nice setup. What would you say the range is?

Gabriel80
01-29-2013, 9:48 AM
holy schmoly!!! bad *****!

Lex
01-29-2013, 11:43 AM
That's a nice setup. What would you say the range is?
1,250 miles

Here are two more treats for you guys.

Day Time
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=198860&d=1359492157

Night Time.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=198861&d=1359492206

Dirtrider....
01-29-2013, 12:57 PM
that would be an awesome vehicle... i saw one that ran on anything you put into the tank like used motor oil... now that would be the ultimate vehicle. i would hate to get stuck needing gas in a true ****F situation.

paul0660
01-29-2013, 1:01 PM
(185 gallons total) 1,250 mile range

Adequate, and accurate.

My only suggestion would be to throw some of these on when the time comes. :

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_FjuOPYj3PJZz7dv-yRV9kj6W9dtALrpkMLYTjxDpEX9y8nFT

That would make it less of a target.

Lex
01-29-2013, 1:50 PM
Adequate, and accurate.

My only suggestion would be to throw some of these on when the time comes. :

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_FjuOPYj3PJZz7dv-yRV9kj6W9dtALrpkMLYTjxDpEX9y8nFT

That would make it less of a target.

LOL... have those already... they are on the way...

paul0660
01-29-2013, 1:52 PM
You know the average x54 will go through that like butter, right?

nastyhabts26
01-29-2013, 1:56 PM
I think you finally found something that people will trade their ammo stashes for!!

Fot
01-29-2013, 3:14 PM
That is awesome.. I still have a dream to do up an old Kaiser like that

Scout2Diesel
01-29-2013, 8:43 PM
I approve... as if that matters haha.

Onetyme
01-30-2013, 12:06 PM
I would like to have one sorta like that. Need to start by getting an M109 first. May have to sale the wrangler.

Lex
01-30-2013, 1:42 PM
Here is our breakfast and lunch location during our beach stay...
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=199212&d=1359585731

caduckgunner
01-30-2013, 2:27 PM
Nice rig.

ASD1
01-30-2013, 2:51 PM
:King:

ArmedArtist
01-31-2013, 7:31 PM
/want!

Where did you get the truck in the first place? I've seen a guy that sells them. His web page is 100dollarman.com I've always wanted a bobbed one.

MFortie
01-31-2013, 7:58 PM
I saw one very similar for sale in Santee a couple years ago. It was on an RV lot and they were asking about 60K for it...

Stormfeather
01-31-2013, 8:49 PM
www.govliquidation.com is probably the best place to start with a barebones model, get it cheap, then start fixing it up from there. Search military bases nearest you and slowly branch out from there.

Heres some current auctions going on that might make ya drool. . . starting bid with no reserve is $150!

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6006746&convertTo=USD

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6023370&convertTo=USD

ArmedArtist
01-31-2013, 9:50 PM
I saw one very similar for sale in Santee a couple years ago. It was on an RV lot and they were asking about 60K for it...

I saw that one! My parents bought there RV from that lot. It was crazy!

Lex
02-01-2013, 8:07 AM
Be careful with auction, it could be a money pit if u dont know what are doing. One of my recent desert outing.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=199990&d=1359738417

Onetyme
02-01-2013, 2:48 PM
/want!

Where did you get the truck in the first place? I've seen a guy that sells them. His web page is 100dollarman.com I've always wanted a bobbed one.

I just called him. He's no longer selling trucks.

RangerJoe
02-01-2013, 3:40 PM
How do you go about registering in this state with our ridiculous CARB restrictions?

ArmedArtist
02-01-2013, 4:13 PM
I just called him. He's no longer selling trucks.

Well crap. I didn't know that. They were still on his web page the other day.

Onetyme
02-01-2013, 5:06 PM
Well crap. I didn't know that. They were still on his web page the other day.

Yes. He has them pictured but he's not selling any.

Lex
02-01-2013, 9:38 PM
How do you go about registering in this state with our ridiculous CARB restrictions?

My M109A3 is registered as a Motor Home and it is a diesel and smog is exempt. I pay $90 bucks for registration and $159 for liability insurance annually. $100dollarman is no longer selling trucks. He only sells tires.

m98
02-01-2013, 10:15 PM
You Sir Are well Hated Here LOLOL................wannbe buddies?...LOL.....So Much Envy dude!

1 SIG fan
02-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Any reason he's not selling??

FMFdevildoc
02-01-2013, 10:22 PM
That is an AWESOME rig. I'd never be able to keep it fed fuel. speaking of which -

www.govliquidation.com - x1,000!!

I work on board MCLB (Marine Corps logistics base) and that is where the no BS .gov auction goodies are!!

Without too crazy or violating OPSEC, I can speak on the auction piece since its open to public:

LOTS of vehicles, tools, generators, you name it!! Definitely give the website a try and whip the cards out and SPEND!! As Americans, it is our civic duty to buy AWESOME military equipment for hunting, camping, etc.

The OP is clearly a true patriot who has embraced and embodied what MERICA is all about!!!

Lex
02-03-2013, 10:11 AM
You Sir Are well Hated Here LOLOL................wannbe buddies?...LOL.....So Much Envy dude!
That is the best post... Thank you so much.....

Any reason he's not selling??

I talk to $100man all of the time. I recently admitted to his Best Friend List.. LOL.. Anyway, he said the truck he auction from surplus has become really expensive and very little profit. Currently he is focusing his energy in Tires. He has tons of them....

One warning about buying from auction. Almost all the trucks are unable to drive off the lot. They have good engine and drive train but sitting for 2-3 years, batteries are dead, tires are flat, fluids are bad. It is not a Honda Civic where you can call for AAA. This type of truck is HUGE and very expensive to tow and depending on the weight, some are not street legal to drive home....

For the first time buyer, I would suggest u get them from local owners. Try Craigslist or ebay. www.steelsoldiers.com has some nice running trucks. Why buying from local owners?

* You can test drive it
* You hear how the engine running
* You can see if there is excessive smoke
* You can use all of your senses

Auction.. you are taking a chance.... You will save money initially but after your truck is fully legalized and registered, it would be pretty much the same price without the headaches and heartaches.....

sdnative13
02-05-2013, 1:22 PM
is that a field command unit that you are using as a camper? Also did you have to ad anything special to get it to accept multiple fuels.

Ferrum
02-05-2013, 2:06 PM
That is an awesome rig!

sdnative13
02-05-2013, 6:49 PM
www.govliquidation.com is probably the best place to start with a barebones model, get it cheap, then start fixing it up from there. Search military bases nearest you and slowly branch out from there.

Heres some current auctions going on that might make ya drool. . . starting bid with no reserve is $150!

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6006746&convertTo=USD

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6023370&convertTo=USD

Is the bottom link you posted the same as the one shown in this post? It may be a dumb question but I have absolutely no knowledge about military vehicles. Also does the one in the original post have an expansible body like the one on your link.

burr2of4
02-05-2013, 10:28 PM
love it but i dont see a winch

Lex
02-06-2013, 7:15 AM
love it but i dont see a winch

Honestly I dont really care for a winch..... worst come to worst just tie to the bumper and drive or reverse...

blackandredwarrior
02-06-2013, 3:44 PM
That thing is sweet.

Question: Ever take it out Sand Highway?

That would be cool to use as a rover for a VHF/UHF contest.

KevinB
02-06-2013, 8:05 PM
If you buy a open truck, one that you can carry cargo in you will be paying about 5 grand a year for registration every year.

Having a covered one like that means you are not commercial.

Big big bucks to have a open bed.

command_liner
02-06-2013, 9:18 PM
Can we mix threads?
Where is your front plate?

Lex
02-07-2013, 6:53 AM
If you buy a open truck, one that you can carry cargo in you will be paying about 5 grand a year for registration every year.

No that is not true. Most flat bed M35 (less than 2.5 tons) are registered as a Historical Vehicle and it is slightly more than my cost. However, over 5 tons are different story...

That thing is sweet.

Question: Ever take it out Sand Highway?

That would be cool to use as a rover for a VHF/UHF contest.
I am a licensed Amature Radio Operator and I have a Yaesu 7900 VHF/UHF with a 8' wide band military antenna in the box and a handheld in the cab along with a CB and a PA system... The 8' antenna is mounted on side but top of the box which is about 10' from the ground. 10' + 8' = 18' means... Great mobile reception/transmission.....

bigguns85
03-04-2013, 9:51 AM
That is so bad a**. Is it bullet proof? What about the tires? Is there any way to get bullet proof tires? How much does a replacement tire go for? What about bringing it out of state? I am thinking about moving in a few years so im curiouse. How easy is it to make it into a multi fuel. I was thinking about maybe converting it to alchool since you could brew your own. Whats the MPG on that beast?

Lex
03-04-2013, 10:16 AM
That is so bad *****. Is it bullet proof?
You have to define what is bullet me. .22LR yes but not anything higher. However, if you dont mind the weight u can add AR500 inside.

What about the tires? Is there any way to get bullet proof tires? How much does a replacement tire go for?
Dont know about solid tires but there are available. However, stock tires are dirt cheap. Sometime they are free. Too many surplus tires out there.

What about bringing it out of state?

Out of state means, out of United States or out of a local state? Not legal to export but legal to transfer in any 50 states. Must be US Citizen to own one.

How easy is it to make it into a multi fuel. I was thinking about maybe converting it to alchool since you could brew your own. Whats the MPG on that beast
It is a Multifuel built in. So u dont have to convert anything. MPG is 6.5 MPG.

jeffrice6
03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
KICK AZZ!

epilepticninja
03-04-2013, 4:59 PM
:King:

yep x2

bigguns85
03-05-2013, 1:33 AM
I was thinking a shtf scenerio they are just gonna shoot your tires. Going to another state out of commie california. I would want my vehicle like a tank you cant stop me and ill just push other cars outta the way hehe:43: If it was legal I would mount a remote controlled gun to make it super bad a**. What is the the air filter like with it. I would want something that has a nuclear and biological filter for it.

Steve_In_29
03-05-2013, 9:48 AM
I was thinking a shtf scenerio they are just gonna shoot your tires. Going to another state out of commie california. I would want my vehicle like a tank you cant stop me and ill just push other cars outta the way hehe:43: If it was legal I would mount a remote controlled gun to make it super bad a**. What is the the air filter like with it. I would want something that has a nuclear and biological filter for it.

You can have all that....just not on a $6000 truck. More like $250,000.

Though even a tank won't be going far once it hits a freeway full of stalled/abandoned cars. Physics will still apply even in a SHTF situation.:facepalm:

Lex
03-05-2013, 1:30 PM
You can have all that....just not on a $6000 truck. More like $250,000.

Though even a tank won't be going far once it hits a freeway full of stalled/abandoned cars. Physics will still apply even in a SHTF situation.:facepalm:
Super like the comment...

freonr22
03-05-2013, 2:32 PM
www.armytrucks.com sells them too

bigguns85
03-06-2013, 1:24 AM
Maybe put a snow plow on it like the ones on a train just push the cars aside lol

chris
03-06-2013, 4:50 PM

Not too much.. I did most of the work myself. I spent about $4k addition to the truck.

i've worked on those for many years until they were turned in and they have been updated to a different vehicle series. look up LTAS which stands for Long Term Armor Strategy.

Steve_In_29
03-06-2013, 8:42 PM
Maybe put a snow plow on it like the ones on a train just push the cars aside lolNot gonna work on anything beyond the very-carefully-spaced-out-cars on a movie set.

Even those plow trains reach a point where forward progress isn't possible once the snow piles up enough and they have a HECK of a lot more mass then any vehicle that can travel on a road.

Once again real world physics will always trump the SHTF fantasy. :p

07Negative
03-06-2013, 8:51 PM
2.5 ton axles and carbed. Great ideal. When I read others about their so called bug out vehicles. They are all fuel injected. Seems kinda retarded.

cannon
03-06-2013, 9:23 PM

Not so, The nice lady at the DMV registered my REO Duece and a half as a station wagon because it had troop seats in the back.

KevinB
03-06-2013, 9:51 PM
[QUOTE=Lex;10452239]No that is not true. Most flat bed M35 (less than 2.5 tons) are registered as a Historical Vehicle and it is slightly more than my cost. However, over 5 tons are different story...

Carry anything in your historical vehicle and you will get a ticket of historical significance. DMV and CHP frown about not getting their tax money.

bigguns85
03-07-2013, 1:04 AM
[QUOTE=Lex;10452239]No that is not true. Most flat bed M35 (less than 2.5 tons) are registered as a Historical Vehicle and it is slightly more than my cost. However, over 5 tons are different story...

Carry anything in your historical vehicle and you will get a ticket of historical significance. DMV and CHP frown about not getting their tax money.

I cant have cargo in the truck bed of my duce? I was thinking about getting one and putting an armored cab on the back.

KevinB
03-07-2013, 6:01 AM
If the back is covered it can be registered as a non commercial or a motorhome. Get caught hauling stuff in your covered bed and break out your fat wallet.

Best thing to do is contact the DMV and ask them.

A open bed on a deuce and a half is going to cost you a ton of money to legally drive on the road in this state.

Convert one to a camper like the original poster did and you are good to go.

Lex
03-07-2013, 8:57 AM
The reason why I got this are the following reasons:
* I have a family of 4. Need something that is legally transport them.
* 6x6 - Go anywhere. Literally. This camper can go places where 99.9% of camper/RV can not.
* Multifuel: When SHTF it can use many type of fuels without mods.

bigguns85
03-07-2013, 5:23 PM
I got a question about the fuel. Say if you got deisel, can it run on either biodeisel or regular diesel. Also say you are running low on gas and have regular gas in the tank are you able to put in deisel mixed with the gas to top it off? I assume you can use alchool for gas and mix the alchool with regular gas at any time especially since the gas pump is already an 85 percent gas 15 percent alchool mix already. Can alchool and deisel mix? Thanks.

problemchild
03-07-2013, 6:15 PM
Very nice truck you have. If I had enough cash this would be mine..........

http://armytrucksinc.com/wp-content/gallery/inventory/1.%20TOP%20CHOICE/002-800x534.jpg

JRent54
03-07-2013, 9:24 PM
Cool! Post more pics!

Lex
03-08-2013, 8:51 AM
Very nice truck you have. If I had enough cash this would be mine..........

http://armytrucksinc.com/wp-content/gallery/inventory/1.%20TOP%20CHOICE/002-800x534.jpg

Like u said. If I had enough cash.. these would be my choices:

http://armytrucksinc.com/wp-content/gallery/inventory/3.%20ARMORED%20VEHICLES/MRAP%206x6.jpg

http://armytrucksinc.com/wp-content/gallery/inventory/3.%20ARMORED%20VEHICLES/010-800x539.jpg

http://armytrucksinc.com/wp-content/gallery/inventory/3.%20ARMORED%20VEHICLES/009-800x499.jpg

Steve_In_29
03-08-2013, 9:08 AM
We do maintenance on MRAPS and issue them out to the Marines for training where I work and they are not much good once you get off paved or graded roads. Not enough tire floatation and they are SO HEAVY they bend the axles fairly often.

Without substantial maint/supply support being readily at hand these are not something I would want to depend on for the long haul.

kraqus
03-08-2013, 9:16 AM
Wow! what a ride.
You should join this forum:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/

Benny

PrepperThyAngus
03-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Holy crap, that is badass man. Very nice.

bigguns85
03-08-2013, 7:05 PM
We do maintenance on MRAPS and issue them out to the Marines for training where I work and they are not much good once you get off paved or graded roads. Not enough tire floatation and they are SO HEAVY they bend the axles fairly often.

Without substantial maint/supply support being readily at hand these are not something I would want to depend on for the long haul.

Does the deuce get the same issues?

Steve_In_29
03-08-2013, 8:33 PM
Does the deuce get the same issues?Technically it's a Deuce-and-a-half but be that as it may there aren't any 2.5 or 5 ton trucks left in the active inventory (at least as far as the Marines go) since we switched over to the 7ton MTVR a while ago.

I was not associated with MT while we still had them so I can not speak as to their reliability but I can say that I have seen them stuck on more then one occasion. One time it was a front axle in a mud puddle so deep the bumper was on the ground and all 8 rears were smoking as they spun on frozen ground. Truck didn't move until a wrecker lifted the front out.

bigguns85
03-09-2013, 12:31 AM
I guess that comes with the teritory of a heaver vehicle. What is the normal maintenance cost of it?

GJC
05-12-2013, 8:46 AM
Oh man so much want :King:

Stormfeather
05-12-2013, 2:51 PM
Technically it's a Deuce-and-a-half but be that as it may there aren't any 2.5 or 5 ton trucks left in the active inventory (at least as far as the Marines go) since we switched over to the 7ton MTVR a while ago.

Army still has these in inventory as does Reserves and National Guard, not so sure about the Air Farce.

Lex
07-29-2013, 7:23 AM
Got my M105 trailer hooked up. It was the first time hooking it. It has been park at my brother's house for a year or so and need the trailer for some hauling. It was designed to sleep 8 people.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=252648&d=1375111342
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=252649&d=1375111361
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=252650&d=1375111378

Squidward
07-29-2013, 10:36 AM
The Rally Fighter? A BOV??

http://youtu.be/Yn6rvj08__0

all torque
07-29-2013, 1:42 PM
What's your towing capacity?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

badreligion
07-29-2013, 1:55 PM
Lex, nice duece and trailer combo. Is that a custom enclosure on the trailer? I told a mutual friend he needs a M105 for his duece.

I have the room for a duece and 105 combo at home just need to convince the wife we need it! Ideally I would find a long bed duece and convert it to crew cab with a command shell on the back.

Would also want to set up a portable WVO/WMO trailer. Lots of fuel still sitting in abandoned cars come doomsday.

I think some people are confused about the differences between a commercial use vehicle and a personal use vehicle and the required licenses.

Dutch3
07-29-2013, 3:26 PM
I have heard the multifuel engines will run on things like Bacardi 151 and Crown Royal. True or not?

badreligion
07-29-2013, 8:59 PM
This just came up for auction. MRAP 5 ton anyone?

http://m.govliquidation.com/mobile?cmd=auction&item=view&auction_id=6442101

Steve_In_29
07-29-2013, 10:43 PM
This just came up for auction. MRAP 5 ton anyone?

http://m.govliquidation.com/mobile?cmd=auction&item=view&auction_id=6442101
Link doesn't bring anything up. Do I need create an account and be logged in to see it?

I am also not familiar with a 5ton MRAP. Are you perhaps referring to a 5ton with an armor kit on it?

Czechsix
07-29-2013, 10:59 PM
I have heard the multifuel engines will run on things like Bacardi 151 and Crown Royal. True or not?

Not true.

Czechsix
07-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Link doesn't bring anything up. Do I need create an account and be logged in to see it?

I am also not familiar with a 5ton MRAP. Are you perhaps referring to a 5ton with an armor kit on it?

"Description:
1991 BMY Div of Harsco, M923A2, 5 ton cargo truck with special training body, apparently replicating Caiman/BAE MTV, 6 x 6, Manufacturer's serial number: 23A0937, special MRAP styled body used for training troops. Powered by a Cummins 6CTA8.3 6-cylinder turbo supercharged Diesel engine driving through an Allison automatic transmission and two-speed transfer case. 28,744 miles showing on odometer and 985 hours. Climate controlled interior. Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS) and power steering. Seven rear jump seats and bucket driver and passenger seats with six-point seatbelts. Park brake air valve fitting leaking. Unit jumped to start and ran but fuel hose leaking. Buyer Load. No GL assistance available. Preview / removal by appointment only. "

Probably not armor....especially since it's for sale via GL

frankm
07-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Yeah baby, http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?auctionId=6442101&cm_re=gl-homepage-_-carousel-2-_-item-4

coryhenry
07-30-2013, 2:57 AM
I like it, just worried about maintenance.

Czechsix
07-30-2013, 10:14 AM
Regarding maintenance...you have to be your own mechanic when dealing with these.

Full tool set, somewhere to work on it, etc. Parts aren't that big a deal, but if it's one of the larger trucks parts can get expensive. Still pretty cheap if it's a little deuce and a half though. 5 tons are pricier. Any of them will require quite a bit more maintenance than a regular vehicle though.

One critical thing is that they have to be driven - if you let them sit, that's when you'll start to have problems. I have a problem truck sitting right now, in the back, lol.

Lex
07-30-2013, 10:27 AM
I drive it once a week and I do all of my work on the engine and body. Parts are cheap but they are heavy so shipping will slightly costly. Otherwise, it is not a bad truck to have. I pay $159 a year on liability and $90 a year on registration. No smog required.

Lex
07-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Lex, nice duece and trailer combo. Is that a custom enclosure on the trailer? I told a mutual friend he needs a M105 for his duece.

Would also want to set up a portable WVO/WMO trailer.

Yes it is custom. M105 is a flat trailer but I enclosed to houses two bunk beds and with top opens up and a Cali King size be in it. So technically it would sleeps 8 people.

I do have a WMO processing setup under the the truck and have a 85 gallon tank for it. It has 4 micro fine filters.

badreligion
07-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Like I said very nice set up you have going on there. Hopefully I will make it out to the next desert outing and check it out in person.

Getting a duece is on my wish list. I think I would break with the crowd and go od though.

chris
07-31-2013, 12:49 PM
I like it, just worried about maintenance.

Those old M109 vans are easy to work on. No computer to deal with. Parts arent hard to get and manuals are online. I worked on those for years and never really any problems with them at all.

Invictus
08-01-2013, 8:39 PM
So is it covered with 1" AR500 armor? :43:

chris
08-01-2013, 8:50 PM
One critical thing is that they have to be driven - if you let them sit, that's when you'll start to have problems. I have a problem truck sitting right now, in the back, lol.

oh yeah if they sit you are going to have issues.

Lex
08-02-2013, 7:50 AM
So is it covered with 1" AR500 armor? :43:

If I have $$$$ I would. I can change out the interior sheet metal to AR500 with same thickness. So the weight wont be an issue.

Czechsix
08-02-2013, 9:43 AM
LOL. I don't think AR500 is produced in sheet metal.

Uxi
08-03-2013, 10:57 AM
This is bad ***.

Disappointed to hear 100dollarman isn't selling trucks anymore. Always fancied getting a bobbed duece from him one of these days.

Lex
09-25-2013, 2:15 PM
After couple of weeks of work between time off, it is almost done. It has a small A/C with a vent and a small fan. Time for more camping. LED lights along with individual reading lights. Along with phone chargers. The bottom section will sleep 4 adults.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=267753&d=1380147299

The trailer is insulated with R-Tech 1" foam with reflective material along with 3/8" OSD plywood with reflective material. Double insulation.

speedrrracer
09-25-2013, 2:49 PM
Looking good!

jpkar
09-29-2013, 4:08 PM
thats badass

Czechsix
09-29-2013, 4:28 PM
This is bad ***.

Disappointed to hear 100dollarman isn't selling trucks anymore. Always fancied getting a bobbed duece from him one of these days.

There's some place in Johnson Valley selling some 6x6's. Right on OWS road, passed by them a few hours ago.

Lex
09-30-2013, 8:11 AM
Beds are in... i am almost 6 feet tall and it fits me fine. I was out last weekend and slept in the trailer. Sure beat tents..... few more electrical outlets and switches to be done. Otherwise, it is considered FINISHED!.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=268877&d=1380557422

Lex
09-30-2013, 8:28 AM
Here is a picture of the truck and trailer at Big Horn Canyon Ranch last weekend.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=268878&d=1380558508

speedrrracer
09-30-2013, 9:02 AM
Great work, and great pix, too :)

SURVIVOR619
10-03-2013, 7:37 PM
Nice job Lex, thanks for sharing!!

Lex
11-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Got some LED lights sponsored.

nHYPdwRlGEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHYPdwRlGEE

SonofWWIIDI
11-14-2013, 1:05 PM
Awesome!!!!! Want!!!!!

Google it Research
01-03-2014, 2:55 PM
My M109A3 is registered as a Motor Home and it is a diesel and smog is exempt. I pay $90 bucks for registration and $159 for liability insurance annually. $100dollarman is no longer selling trucks. He only sells tires.

Now that I know I will begin bidding on one. Thanks

caburian
01-03-2014, 3:52 PM
may I suggest adding 3M bulletproof security tint on your windows :)
maybe even spray the inside with rhino liner :) those things are somewhat bulletproof once it hardens.

gorn5150
01-03-2014, 5:00 PM
That is a nice rig. One thing I didn't see on your list was a wifi cantenna. Basically a shotgun antenna that lets you snag wifi from real long distance.

Lex
01-04-2014, 10:02 AM
That is a nice rig. One thing I didn't see on your list was a wifi cantenna. Basically a shotgun antenna that lets you snag wifi from real long distance.

I didnt want to drive around with a dish on top of the truck. Secondly, I use my mobile phone as a hot spot.

SOAR79
01-04-2014, 10:19 AM
I want!!!

gorn5150
01-04-2014, 11:29 AM
I didnt want to drive around with a dish on top of the truck. Secondly, I use my mobile phone as a hot spot.

A cantenna is the size of a pringles potato chip can. I've been able to get wifi using one in the Berkeley hills from across the bay in SF. I understand about the hot spot, I have one too. One of the things a cantenna is good at is connecting to a device like a wifi camera running off of batteries set a good distance from where ever your vehicle is setup as an extended perimeter intrusion detector.

smle-man
01-04-2014, 12:46 PM
* Multifuel: When SHTF it can use many type of fuels without mods.

a warrant officer showed me how to make jackleg diesel fuel for the multifuel engine: he mixed 30w engine oil and mogas and poured it into the deuce and a half fuel tank. Ran ok but smoked a lot. My experience with the M35 series is that the truck goes through hydrovacs like crazy. Does yours still have split rims? If so be very careful around them. Use a tire cage when inflating them after replacing a flat tube. I saw the aftermath of an improperly seated retaining ring when the tube was being inflated on the wheel. It wasn't pretty.

http://www.ehow.com/list_7426633_dangers-split-rim-wheel_.html

Get a copy of the lube order for the M35 series and keep hitting all of the grease points on a regular basis.

http://armytruck.nl/manuels/lubricationorder/LO%209-2320-209-12-1.pdf

You've done a nice job on your truck! I've thought about the 5 tons that are on the market now with the CAT engine and automatic transmission but I have no place to park it except in front of the house and that wouldn't go over well with the neighbors.

Oliver_Charles
01-05-2014, 11:10 PM
I was inside this beast today, much much more impressive in person, too much to list. Way more to it than you see. Such a treat! One day…..
Good guy too. He showed me some HAM radio options when I mentioned I was interested. Now, off to get my HAMster on!!!
Thanks man!

Lex
01-06-2014, 8:33 AM
I was inside this beast today, much much more impressive in person, too much to list. Way more to it than you see. Such a treat! One day…..
Good guy too. He showed me some HAM radio options when I mentioned I was interested. Now, off to get my HAMster on!!!
Thanks man!

Hi Oliver,

You are one of the few members from CGN see it in person. When people buy my left parts I try to give them a tour about it. Normally it would take about 30-45 minute but we made it shorter due to the space. Glad u had a chance to see it.

101st Airborne
01-14-2014, 3:48 PM
This is awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Lex
02-10-2014, 9:38 AM
I made this 4" PVC water filtration system for my truck. It is mounted driver side of the truck. It will filter .2 microns and about 1 gallon per hour. The ceramic filter is located between the two sessions of the PVC with vents and brass valve. It will hold 1.5 gallons at a time. The system was design to be taken part for cleaning and repairs.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=302711&stc=1&d=1392057495

wheels
04-17-2014, 8:12 PM
Just saw this and figured it needed to go in this thread.

gc-sIXZ3LWo

It just sold on ebay for $52,000 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/161272612608?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT)

So yours probably isn't bulletproof, but how much did you save?

Steve_In_29
04-18-2014, 8:42 AM
Now Lex has something to feel jealous of, like the rest of us do for his rig. LOL

Lex
04-18-2014, 9:26 AM
Now Lex has something to feel jealous of, like the rest of us do for his rig. LOL

Not really... mine is fully equipped to sleep 4 people and has everything I need except restroom and shower. Secondly, I would enjoy $37,000 cash in my hands and enjoy it in an air conditioned camper......

wheels
04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Not really... mine is fully equipped to sleep 4 people and has everything I need except restroom and shower. Secondly, I would enjoy $37,000 cash in my hands and enjoy it in an air conditioned camper......
Exactly, yours is more mission specific, ideally a couple more of your type and then 2 of these bad boys to run point and trail.

Cypriss32
04-18-2014, 11:22 AM
I drove one recently that had 46" tires on it. It was awesome. Im buying one when I move out of CA. Im holding off because Im tired of moving everything.

Kit1885
04-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Def SHTF vehicle:)

Steve_In_29
04-18-2014, 3:25 PM
I just checked out the video, they should have saved the money on the Warn 18K winch as it's no where near big enough to be of much use on a 29K+ lb vehicle.

Rule of thumb is to size your winch 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle. For example I have a 16.5K winch on my F350 that runs 8K lbs empty and close to 12K lbs loaded with my truck camper.

They would be better off sourcing their base trucks with an OEM winch instead of adding an electric later.

Lex
04-18-2014, 3:56 PM
No doubt is it nice and AR500 does make me drool too but for $52,000, can do alot with it. I spent about 15k for mine. Large singles are nice but replacement and flat will be hell. I like oem tires because they are dirt cheap and I have 8 tires in the rear and even if 4 tires are flat i still can drive it. That is why I want to stay with OEM tires.

twodko
04-23-2014, 7:28 PM
That is a very well thought out, nicely appointed weekend/vacation/ARRL accomplishment. Congrats.

In a real world SHTF situation it's a slow moving target. A BOV it's not.

bsg
04-28-2014, 11:33 PM
fantastic! i really like it mucho.

Uxi
04-29-2014, 8:00 AM
That is a very well thought out, nicely appointed weekend/vacation/ARRL accomplishment. Congrats.

In a real world SHTF situation it's a slow moving target. A BOV it's not.

lol wat?

SHTF is too broad a term and variable a situation for one sized fits all vehicle. That fits many and arguably most reasonable scenarios. Not enough Humongous?

k1dude
04-29-2014, 7:47 PM
http://www.earthroamer.com/wp-content/uploads/wp/1/FINAL-complete-650-master-with-kelci-b-600x400.jpg

Steve_In_29
04-29-2014, 8:59 PM
^^^ Those EarthRoamers are some VERY nice rigs. We still have one based on an F550 chassis on our list of possible upgrades.

I have visited their facility in Colorado twice and spoken with Bill Swails (Company owner) several times.

wheels
04-29-2014, 9:25 PM
^^^ Those EarthRoamers are some VERY nice rigs. We still have one based on an F550 chassis on our list of possible upgrades.

I have visited their facility in Colorado twice and spoken with Bill Swails (Company owner) several times.

First time I've been inside one was today. Guy I picked up some expedition gear from was working on his dads. The workmanship inside was well above average. I'm building a knockoff Sportsmobile, but if I had the dinero, an earthroamer would be the ticket.

k1dude
04-30-2014, 10:04 AM
The problem with EarthRoamers is you'd better be well into the multi-millionaire range of wealth to comfortably afford one. I checked into one of the smaller models and it was $280,000 bare bones and $544,000 loaded. In most places that's the same price as a damn nice house.

sdkevin
04-30-2014, 10:40 AM
Cool toy!

About zero urban versitility. Even on the run, use some Mad Max ideology here.. that will be on it's side in minutes.

Even Russia and the Germans figured that out.

Uxi
04-30-2014, 12:48 PM
Mad Max vehicles looked cool but didn't seem real safe, either. A lot of exposed cockpits, etc.