PDA

View Full Version : Getting AW parts shipped to CA

savasyn
09-13-2007, 8:27 PM
I've already had this question answered indirectly, but I'd like to be very very clear to make sure that I do not break any laws.

1)Is it legal to ship various AW parts, in this case grips and stocks, to CA?

I want one of these but they say they won't ship to CA. Is this due to a law or because they just don't want to?:
http://www.ptr91.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=73

If the answer is yes to #1, I believe this will be a yes also, but again, better to be sure:
2)Can I have a friend that lives in a free state order those parts, receive them and then ship them to me? Again, I am not talking about magazines, only grips and stocks.

Obviously I'm looking to get 922r compliance parts and am having a hell of a time finding stuff for the SAR8.

Thanks!

blkA4alb
09-13-2007, 8:34 PM
There are no restrictions on parts. Certain websites choose to throw away the entire California market to be on the ultra safe side.

savasyn
09-13-2007, 8:51 PM
So I can have a friend ship stuff to me without getting them or me in trouble?

pnkssbtz
09-13-2007, 8:53 PM
Only no-no are firearms themselves that are restricted, federally restricted parts (NFA and class 3 items) and assembled standard capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds.

savasyn
09-13-2007, 9:04 PM
Got it, thank you.

That brings up another question, can I be shipped DISASSEMBLED high cap mags? I need 2 floor plates and 2 followers for my old 20 rounders and the only place I've seen US versions won't return my emails. I did find a place selling US made HK mags for $11 each(DOH!!!) If I could get those sent to me disassembled, I could use the parts I need and do anything other than build mags with the rest of the parts.
$11 a mag is cheaper than just the US parts alone, probably.

Another option would be if US made 10 round floor plates and followers would work in old HK91 mags.

Sarkoon
09-13-2007, 9:39 PM
There are no restrictions on parts. Certain websites choose to throw away the entire California market to be on the ultra safe side.

Wait a sec - what about M16 parts for a lower receiver? I thought it was illegal to have those shipped into CA even if what you build does *not* end up being fully automatic. Am I wrong?

M. Sage
09-13-2007, 10:14 PM
That'd be NFA stuff, wouldn't it?

If you can find stuff elsewhere, it's better to support a vendor with a spine than do an end-run just to put money in a weak vendor's pocket.

savasyn
09-13-2007, 10:55 PM
If I could find a dealer with a spine that carried the items I'm looking for, I'd GLADLY buy from them!! So far, no dice on US made HK parts. PTR91.com is the only place that seems to have all the pieces I want but they won't ship most of them to CA.

blkA4alb
09-13-2007, 11:47 PM
Wait a sec - what about M16 parts for a lower receiver? I thought it was illegal to have those shipped into CA even if what you build does *not* end up being fully automatic. Am I wrong?

No you are correct. Sometimes it's hard to include all the exceptions in every post. It also gets a little tedious.

(Yes, I'm making excuses for being lazy.)

Roccobro
09-14-2007, 12:56 AM
Mags can be sent disassembled for "rebuilding mags owned prior to CA AWB."

Good luck. Parts is parts and they aren't regulated (NFA not included!)

Justin

WokMaster1
09-14-2007, 8:45 AM
If I could find a dealer with a spine that carried the items I'm looking for, I'd GLADLY buy from them!! So far, no dice on US made HK parts. PTR91.com is the only place that seems to have all the pieces I want but they won't ship most of them to CA.

Just call the dealers here. They have always been there for us when the rest of the country poo-pooed us. Give them some of the love. Check the ads above & on the Commercial sales section. There are a lot of good people here & all the things you've mentioned can be bought from them.

bwiese
09-14-2007, 9:38 AM
Generally "parts is parts" and if a vendor doesn't ship to CA, find another vendor.

The exceptions are NFA-related parts - M16 fire-control parts, for example (but not M16 bolt carriers). It's wise to not order or ship even a shorty bbl (even separate from an upper receiver) to someone either - unless you have a legal pistol that can use it, or (quite unlikely) a legal SBR.

Do note that 'grenade launchers', while an 'evil feature' under 12276.1PC, are also intrinsically illegal as destructive devices so skip those completely.

Hicap magazine can be ordered for the goal of (1) repairing a legally-owned hicap mag, or (2) used to construct a permanently-restricted-to-10-rds magazine. (You damn well better require a nuke to take those apart or try to restore capacity or you might have multiple legal issues; as it stands I am not a fan at all of "looks like hicap" mags for OLL-based rifles.

pnkssbtz
09-14-2007, 2:24 PM
Hicap magazine can be ordered for the goal of (1) repairing a legally-owned hicap mag, or (2) used to construct a permanently-restricted-to-10-rds magazine. (You damn well better require a nuke to take those apart or try to restore capacity or you might have multiple legal issues; as it stands I am not a fan at all of "looks like hicap" mags for OLL-based rifles.

Personally, I concur too.

Good post!