PDA

View Full Version : loaning a Handgun too a military friend

eckerph
09-13-2007, 5:11 PM
A shooting partner who just deployed gave me and another friend permission to use his guns while he is gone, now i have a HSC but my other friend doesn't .This friend is also military and a non-resident, He is exempt from having an HSC if he is purchasing a pistol but does he need an HSC to borrow a pistol? I cant find anything and i don't want him to have any nasty surprises.

bwiese
09-13-2007, 5:17 PM
A shooting partner who just deployed gave me and another friend permission to use his guns while he is gone, now i have a HSC but my other friend doesn't .This friend is also military and a non-resident, He is exempt from having an HSC if he is purchasing a pistol but does he need an HSC to borrow a pistol? I cant find anything and i don't want him to have any nasty surprises.

The 12078 'infrquent loan of firearms' provisions require (1) infrqeuency (2) the period of the loan to be less than 30 days, (3) the party being lent handgun(s) must have valid HSC card.

Your shooting buddy who just deployed is likely deployed longer than 30 days so it legally makes this "not a good thing".

Your buddy w/o HSC card also would have these same issues in addition to HSC card.

Things like this can degrade into illegal firearms transfers if not done right and questions not answered properly if they ever arise.

Best to walk away. Your deployed buddy would be p*ssed if he found out something happened (say, traffic stop) and he lost his guns or they got hung up in bureacracy. It's quite common to really have to fight to get your guns back even when innocent of charges.

eckerph
09-13-2007, 5:52 PM
Best to walk away. Your deployed buddy would be p*ssed if he found out something happened (say, traffic stop) and he lost his guns or they got hung up in bureacracy. It's quite common to really have to fight to get your guns back even when innocent of charges.

This is what i'm trying to avoid, We just wanted to to borrow his M9 so my other friend could practice a little before he has to qualify next month. Thanx "B".

sunborder
09-13-2007, 10:39 PM
You're loaning a military friend to your handgun?

Might want to recheck your post title.

N6ATF
09-14-2007, 12:48 AM
Bahahaha

eckerph
09-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Since every FNG with less than 50 posts is going to leave a comment (with no new info i might add) I will fix it. The question was answered, you don't have anything to add, let the dead thread die a peaceful death.

sunborder
09-14-2007, 9:55 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist the dig. Did a triple take when I first read it to make sure it said what I thought it said.

Also, you might want to consider where the pistol is being kept now. If he is storing the weapon at your place, that could be a problem. Don't know if storing his other gear with you would be helpful, or irrelevant. Food for thought.

Oh, and the thread title still isn't right. *the grammar nazi in me won't die, despite my own crappy grammar/spelling*