PDA

View Full Version : SKS Sporters

Zoso
09-13-2007, 12:25 PM
SKS Spoters
Between 1992 and late 1997, Chinese type rifles originally manufactured to accept detachable AK-47 style magazines were sold in California. These rifles do not have a bayonet and lack any apparatus on the barrel to mount a bayonet. There were two basic stock designs - a standard Sporter style with a small pistol grip and a thumbhole style. The barrel or receiver may be marked 'SKS Sporter.' Due to the new ruling, these firearms are now considered "assault weapons" under the AWCA.

If you purchased an SKS Sporter between January 1, 1992, and December 19, 1997, you must do one of the following by January 1, 2000:

Destroy the rifle
Surrender the rifle to a law enforcement agency
Sell the rifle to a licensed California "assault weapon" dealer
Dispose of the rifle out of state

Has their been any change to this law someone may know about ?

Kestryll
09-13-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi,
I fixed your title and the coding for the underline and italic, vBulletin coding uses brackets [ ] ;)

Also, it seems that you are asking about the laws making an SKS Sporter (detachable magazine variant) an AW.
From the sounds of your post it makes it seem as though you own an SKS Sporter and have not complied with the law.
If this is the case you probably will not want to be advertising it on a public forum that we know the DOJ reads.

Also if this is the case you need to resolve it right away as you are in violation of the law.
Unfortunately I think your options have become quite limited by now.

bwiese
09-13-2007, 1:14 PM
'SKS Sporters' are unfortunately poorly distinguished from "SKS with detachable magazine". The latter is one of the guns banned by Roberti-Roos in 1989 (with lots of confusion). The term "SKS Sporter" was introduced into the law with the fixup/buy-back legislation in very late 1990s.

An SKS rifle can't have a detachable magazine. [This specifically does not include the so-called "Yugo SKS", which is only a colloquial name for a firearm that is formally named, "Zastava Arms M59 carbine" (or "M59/66"). ]

The fix-up/buy-back laws regarding SKS Sporters actually may have broadened the somewhat generic phrasing, "SKS with detachable magazine", into inclusion of the actual "SKS Sporter" model - regardless of whether that particular rifle indeed was in fact converted to fixed magazine status.

If this is your situation, and you have not done one of the various actions you hand mentioned by 1/1/2000, you could well be in illegal possession of an assault weapon.

You probably need to consult an attorney ASAP. You likely could arrange for surrender of weapon without charges to local PD/Sheriff's office. YOU SHOULD NOT TRY THIS YOURSELF; LET YOUR ATTORNEY DO IT. If the rifle stock & other parts, including gas piston, happened in fact to have been removed and gun stripped to barreled action - or better yet, even with barrel removed - there may be some defense available if illegal AW possession charges were filed.

In no case should a firearm regarded as an unregisterd AW be transported, as transportation of an unreg'd AW can be an additional, separate felony charge (12280(a) PC)- whereas simple unregistered AW *possession* without associated transportation - 12280(b) PC charges - can be "wobblers" (felony or misdemeanor) and perhaps even resolved via alternative AB2728 civil nuisance forfeiture/small fine.

Please do not worry about the price of a cheapie gun. You can always go out and buy a legal SKS, tons of 'em.

You should not comment further about your situation and take immediate heed to what I, and others, wrote above.

AJAX22
09-13-2007, 3:36 PM
The SKS sporter came in three varieties IIRC, a standard chi-com SKS with a shortened barrel and standard 10 round fixed magazine, a shortened barrel and detachable AK magazine with a standard stock, and a thumbhole variant with detachable AK mags and the short barrel.

The guns typically don't say 'sporter' on them anywhere, but are usually marked SKS-M or SKS-D.

I believe the sporter designation was picked up from the marketing literature and erroniously added to the law.

I know of at least one that was converted to take a standard SKS triggergroup/magazine that has been legally transfered in this state in a fixed mag configuration.

I believe the document you've read concerning the sporter was attempting to address SKS-M and SKS-D rifles but was using the term for them from the marketing material instead of the proper designation.

Like bill says tho, talk to an attorny and CYA

Zoso
09-13-2007, 4:51 PM
Hi,
I fixed your title and the coding for the underline and italic, vBulletin coding uses brackets [ ] ;)

Also, it seems that you are asking about the laws making an SKS Sporter (detachable magazine variant) an AW.
From the sounds of your post it makes it seem as though you own an SKS Sporter and have not complied with the law.
If this is the case you probably will not want to be advertising it on a public forum that we know the DOJ reads.

Also if this is the case you need to resolve it right away as you are in violation of the law.
Unfortunately I think your options have become quite limited by now.

Thanks for the HTML fix..:)

And no I don't own one but I am very curious about this
particular ban because, as far as I know, its the only law on the
books that required the owner to hand in a fire arm.
I was always under the impression that it was a test ban and
if it worked, others would fallow, requiring the surrender of the
weapon without the grandfather option if the ban took affect!