PDA

View Full Version : Can you walk around with a gun on your property?

tombinghamthegreat
09-13-2007, 10:28 AM
My property is completely fenced in and can i legally walk around on my property with a shotgun and a tactical vest? I know it is not the best idea but i am wondering? If so i could just clean my guns outside to impress the neighbors:D.

edit:I am joking about the swat vest, but I just was wondering if I could legally walk outside with a firearm. It may not be the best idea, but just wondering if it is legal just incase i need to.

Neil McCauley
09-13-2007, 10:34 AM
My property is completely fenced in and can i legally walk around on my property with a shotgun and a tactical vest? I know it is not the best idea but i am wondering? If so i could just clean my guns outside to impress the neighbors:D.
Sure you can, you can do anything you want, just make sure to not drop the soap when your in the shower.

Liberty1
09-13-2007, 11:08 AM

If you have a video camera set it up to record your actions. It could help if a neighbor calls and said you either brandished it or threatened them. If you have issues with neighbors watch out and use your camera as back up. Fighting a felony charge of 422 (threats) or 245 (assault with deadly weapon) would not be fun. Even if your neighbor is lying and it's him against you, you'll get picked up on a felony IMO.

SgtBulldog
09-13-2007, 12:32 PM
What's legal and what's prudent are two different things. :)

RudyN
09-13-2007, 1:50 PM
What's legal and what's prudent are two different things. :)

That is why I clean my guns in the garage with the garage door closed. Just to be on the safe side. However, when I clean my 1861 Springfield reproduction it is with the door wide open and nobody has said boo as they probably can't tell it is a gun. I don't like to advertise that I have a whole bunch of guns.

WolfMansDad
09-13-2007, 2:41 PM
Do you trust ALL of your neighbors, ALL of their cousins, ALL of their friends, and ALL of their friends' cousins (basically everyone that would hear about the crazy guy running around in his yard with a gun) not to break in and steal your gun next time you are away?

Your gun is like your wiener, best left covered in public.

AKman
09-13-2007, 3:53 PM
Are you saying that I should put pants on before I run out into the backyard armed when I hear a strange noise outside my bedroom window at night?

-hanko
09-13-2007, 6:18 PM

:rolleyes:

I'm not sure you are serious...

You can walk your lot with a shotgun & mall ninja attire. Probably better to use a hunting vest...When neighbors ask you what the hell you're doing you can always claim you're waiting for the pheasants to fly in.:D

For reasons already explained, it's not a good idea to advertise you're into guns, just like you wouldn't spread around the news that you have a collection of cameras, rare coins, etc.

I'm into guns and have been for a long time, as are all of my neighbors...I'd still never clean my guns in the yard. Your neighbors will be more impressed with who you are and how you relate to the neighborhood day to day. If one of my neighbors was cleaning his/her sg in the front yard wearing a 'tactical' vest, I'd have to conclude they're weird as hell.

I'd say give it a run...keep a diary by the minute of your travels around the yard & post it to the forum.

I can offer you a better opinion if you'd post a full length pic of you in the vest with the gun; a picture taken in the actual front yard would be the best;)

If you're in a residential neighborhood, I think you can reasonably expect a little leo interaction.

No question that it is not against the law to carry a gun on your property. A better choice might be to ditch the 'tactical' vest & try a handgun in an iwb holster; keep your t-shirt down over the gun.

Please let us know what happens!!

-hanko

Uberdummy
09-13-2007, 6:50 PM
7:15PM: I am preparing for battle. I have adorned myself with my cargo shorts and black 'tactical' "Your opinion although interesting is irrelevant" t-shirt. On my hip is my Blackhawk Carbon Fiber CQC holster, for maximum tactical comfort and effect.

7:16PM: I confirm the 10 count in my magazine and place my Tactical Stainless XD-9 in the holster and head into the backyard.

7:17PM: The air is dry and I detect a slight odor in the air. It could be the trash can I'm about to wheel out to the curb, or the socks I have been wearing since yesterday. Only time will tell.

7:18PM: I unlock the back garage door and peer through the gap into darkness. This is a ninja haven, I must be one with the inner ninja in order to safely pass these depths.
I deftly weave my way through the obstacles, exhaust pipe here, power washer there. Oh no a gas can! With stealth I avoid it's spout; we don't want another flaming ninja on our hands. Not like last time.

7:19PM: I press the button to initiate the garage portal opening sequence. It is clearly an inferior non-ninja made product. It broadcasts my arrival to the world outside. I quickly press the button again to stop the sequence. Upon getting down on my fingers and toes I assess the situation outside. It appears safe to finish the opening sequence.

7:20PM: The portal is open... with a vengeance. I maneuver the trash can through the ninja haven; again, avoiding the spout of flaming ninjas.

7:21PM: Success! I have passed through the portal and have arrived in the driveway. I must put on one of my greatest ploys yet, and act normal, though I peer around with cat-like reflexes and again assess the situation. There are many non-ninja's about, they appear non-confrontational, though you can never be sure. I lead the trash can to the edge of the driveway and remember my plight. I cannot leave my tactical sidearm concealed beyond the magic barrier. I curse to the heavens those evil sorcerers; tricky devils they are.

7:22PM: With the stealth of one hand I remove the magazine without unholstering and expose my tactical tool. The magazine switches hands and enters my pocket. I use my ninja speed and place the trash can at the curb without anyone being the wiser. I quickly pass back through the magical barrier concealing my tactical tool and again through the portal into the ninja haven.

7:23PM: With satisfaction I close the portal and lock the rear door. I load my tactical tool and silently return to my home, hugging the wall as I go.

7:25PM: I am once again safe in my home...... for now. It is time to recharge my spirit.

7:28PM: My next task... drink the chocolate milk. I must meditate on this.

tyrist
09-13-2007, 6:51 PM
on private property you can carry loaded guns and concealed guns and will not be convicted of any crimminal charges. However it is probably not the best idea because your neighbors may call the police and other consequences may occur from that.

sloguy
09-13-2007, 7:03 PM
Are you saying that I should put pants on before I run out into the backyard armed when I hear a strange noise outside my bedroom window at night?

i know a guy who avoided a potential accident while investigating a strange noise at night. he met his roomate in the dark, clearing the house from the oposite end. being naked helps id friendlies.

Solidmch
09-13-2007, 7:18 PM
I do not let anyone around my neighborhood know I have guns. I know a guy who went on vacation and had someone go after his guns. The turds went straight for the safe. They hacked at it with a axe. Stupid idiots might have gotten in if they would have gone through the side, instead of the front. Had to be friends of there kids.

niceguy
09-13-2007, 7:32 PM
It's one case of where X + Y = ZERO
Guns + Advertising = NO Guns.

If you have to show a gun to impress someone, you'll probably not have a gun for long, or shouldn't have one. I'd stay away from a weapons exhibitionist... not out of awesome fear, but because the guy might have even grander ideas with which to bolster his ego.

Not saying this guy is YOU...... but damn, someone might THINK it is you!!

Can you imagine some clown cracking you over the head with a ball peen hammer while you're admiring yourself in the reflection of your home windows???

Clean it inside where dust and leaves and grit can't get into the thing, and call it a good move.

DedEye
09-13-2007, 7:35 PM
Tangent question: can you carry a concealed weapon (handgun) in your apartment building, since it is private property? Outside of your apartment, is it considered your home still? Would you be legal if you had the property owner's permission?

-hanko
09-13-2007, 8:40 PM
7:15PM: I am preparing for battle. I have adorned myself with my cargo shorts and black 'tactical' "Your opinion although interesting is irrelevant" t-shirt. On my hip is my Blackhawk Carbon Fiber CQC holster, for maximum tactical comfort and effect.

:D:Dsnipped:D

7:25PM: I am once again safe in my home...... for now. It is time to recharge my spirit.

7:28PM: My next task... drink the chocolate milk. I must meditate on this.
Daaaammmmit, Uberdummy.

Seriously, darn near spit a glass of Coke all over the computer. You made my day.

your reply is definitely worthless without a pic or 2.

Thanks

-hanko

tombinghamthegreat
09-13-2007, 8:46 PM
I was joking about the tatical swat vest but serious about walking around with a gun for security reasons. As for neighbors knowing about my family's arsenal, we already used a gun on a nieghbor (long story, illegal stuff going on and tried to break in, threatening to kill everyone including my dog). Also we told the cops after the attack, they went after the intruter and it went to court. A lot of people found out about that, so everyone knows (including the police) that we have guns readly accessable. Unavoidable.

tombinghamthegreat
09-13-2007, 8:47 PM
http://cheaperthandirt.com/VEST160-713-1572.html?pcs=VEST160

this is my vest i was refering to that i got a month ago.

-hanko
09-13-2007, 8:52 PM
Tangent question: can you carry a concealed weapon (handgun) in your apartment building, since it is private property? Outside of your apartment, is it considered your home still? Would you be legal if you had the property owner's permission?
Depends.

No. It's a common area.

Inside your apartment, you're OK. Not sure if you'd need a 'tactical' vest or not.

It might be legal with the owner's permission; I'd ask a real attorney. Having said that, if I owned an apartment and let you walk around armed everyplace, I'd soon figure out that maybe the other tenants might want to ask me a lot of questions. I'd also expect to meet several that want to break the lease and leave. Like the op, you might get ready for a little interaction with la policia'.;)

I wouldn't do it outside your apartment's front door. If you go for it, a picture would help this thread a lot, as would a diary (thanks again Uberdummy).

This thread proves yet again that there may be a large void separating intelligence from common sense.:D Otoh, it could be that the "this-one-time-at-bandcamp mentality is taking over Calguns:eek:

-hanko

xenophobe
09-13-2007, 9:11 PM
My what a sad place Calguns is turning into....

FatKatMatt
09-13-2007, 9:46 PM
I don't really see the point in telling the world "I OWN GUNS!", considering they're likely to be stolen if the wrong person hears of it. The only people I show my guns to are friends and family, and I only talk about it with like minded people or semi-interested ones. If I have to clean my guns, I do it indoors or at the range, never out in the open.

If you wan't to lose your guns or get some self-righteous hoplophobe breathing down your neck, feel free to strut around like some artard mall ninja. It's a free country.

AKman
09-13-2007, 10:23 PM
I usually don't tell people that I have guns, but it is a little difficult to explain where all the dead things on the walls came from. I don't think they believe the "road kill" explanation.

gazzavc
09-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Prudence is the wise move here. What people don't know about is best left unsaid.

I live in a quiet residential neighbourhood, unfortunatly I have a prize ***** as a neighbour opposite our house who is the type to run straight to the police if he saw me cleaning anything more lethal than a lawnmower in my front garden. That stuff is best done in the closed garage late at night.

While we are on it , for those who have kids, drill it into them to never tell their friends at school that "My daddy has guns" , this can also lead to nosy school friends parents wanting to know what you "do with guns"

I recall most vividly a mum who was picking up her daughter from a playdate with my little girl, yabbering with my missus about "we would never let our little girl go and play with a family that owned guns", my wife looked at me and I just laughed. The mother was less than 6 feet away from the vault where all my collection is stored !!

Needless to say we dont play with them anymore !!

Gaz

WolfMansDad
09-14-2007, 9:19 AM
While we are on it , for those who have kids, drill it into them to never tell their friends at school that "My daddy has guns" , this can also lead to nosy school friends parents wanting to know what you "do with guns"

Or your kids could form a gun club at school. They exist, quietly, even to this day, and they can provide a good way to meet other dads who like to shoot.

If you ask around, discretely, you will probably be surprised at how many other gun owners there are in your community.

Neil McCauley
09-14-2007, 9:23 AM

Why do you say that?

CitaDeL
09-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Why do you say that?

Because people posting here are so frightened of what will happen if they exert their second amendment rights.

CalNRA
09-14-2007, 11:03 AM
on private property you can carry loaded guns and concealed guns and will not be convicted of any crimminal charges. However it is probably not the best idea because your neighbors may call the police and other consequences may occur from that.

what the...?

look back at your post and see if you can see any obvious illogical conclusion that you have reached....:rolleyes:

supersonic
09-14-2007, 11:42 AM
Do you trust ALL of your neighbors, ALL of their cousins, ALL of their friends, and ALL of their friends' cousins (basically everyone that would hear about the crazy guy running around in his yard with a gun) not to break in and steal your gun next time you are away?

Aw, just friggin' GREAT!!!!!! I went 'n s**t my pants. Thank you kindly!:p
S.S.:43:

Glock22Fan
09-14-2007, 12:32 PM
One of my neighbors told me that she wouldn't let her husband have any gun in the house because they were so dangerous.

She then told me that the other day, he spent 1.5 hours trying to kill a rattlesnake with a spade (we live in the outback).

I said "And you think that is safer than a shotgun?"

She dried up and left almost immediately after that. Haven't seen her to speak with since.

simonov
09-14-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't really see the point in telling the world "I OWN GUNS!",

Then allow me to provide one for you.

As long as your friends, colleagues and neighbors think only dangerous criminals and wackos own guns, they will continue to vote your gun rights away.

California gun owners' bunker mentality is helping the gun grabbers as much as anything else we do.

Everyone who knows me personally knows I have guns, and they are aware of an open invitation to come out to the range or the desert for some shooting. I have changed minds. How many minds have you folks changed?

N6ATF
09-14-2007, 3:22 PM
One of my neighbors told me that she wouldn't let her husband have any gun in the house because they were so dangerous.

She then told me that the other day, he spent 1.5 hours trying to kill a rattlesnake with a spade (we live in the outback).

I said "And you think that is safer than a shotgun?"

She dried up and left almost immediately after that. Haven't seen her to speak with since.

Burn!

Oh my, it's Steve Irwin's evil twin! Who the hell else would get that close to death?

tyrist
09-14-2007, 3:52 PM
If the owner of the apartment building gives you permission to carry a weapon on his property then it is legal concealed or otherwise. Technically even off duty police officers need permission to carry guns on private property. Disneyland will not let off duty officers bring guns onto there property.

xrMike
09-14-2007, 4:53 PM

As long as your friends, colleagues and neighbors think only dangerous criminals and wackos own guns, they will continue to vote your gun rights away.

California gun owners' bunker mentality is helping the gun grabbers as much as anything else we do.

Everyone who knows me personally knows I have guns, and they are aware of an open invitation to come out to the range or the desert for some shooting.I like the way you think. In fact, I pretty much roll that way too. I don't hide anything.

Sure, I'd never carry my 1911 on the hip while mowing the front yard just because I can legally do so, but I also don't hesitate to clean my weapons in the backyard either, since I can do whatever the hell I want on my own property. There's an NRA sticker on my truck, and another on the window next to the front door. I also make no effort to hide anything when I carry my gun cases and range bags out to the truck on shootin' days.

The house is alarmed, the guns are always in the safe when I'm gone, there's a barky-dog in the back yard and the side gate has a padlock on it, so I've done everything I can reasonably do to protect against thieves.

So many here in CA have become so cowed and whipped by phear and pacified-public opinion, they feel like they have to slink around in the closet all the time. I won't do that because I agree with you, it only serves the gun grabbers.

metalhead357
09-14-2007, 4:55 PM

Nah....not "sad" just....... well..... a LOT of this stuff has already been covered...that all. think we need to make Kes change the color of the SEARCH button and make it about thig BIG

USE SEARCH BUTTON:p

CitaDeL
09-14-2007, 5:48 PM
I like the way you think. In fact, I pretty much roll that way too. I don't hide anything.

Sure, I'd never carry my 1911 on the hip while mowing the front yard just because I can legally do so, but I also don't hesitate to clean my weapons in the backyard either, since I can do whatever the hell I want on my own property. There's an NRA sticker on my truck, and another on the window next to the front door. I also make no effort to hide anything when I carry my gun cases and range bags out to the truck on shootin' days.

The house is alarmed, the guns are always in the safe when I'm gone, there's a barky-dog in the back yard and the side gate has a padlock on it, so I've done everything I can reasonably do to protect against thieves.

So many here in CA have become so cowed and whipped by phear and pacified-public opinion, they feel like they have to slink around in the closet all the time. I won't do that because I agree with you, it only serves the gun grabbers.

Here, here!

The tendency of gun owners to refrain from acting on their desire to be armed in fear of the authorities and their silence when confronted by anti-gunners only plays into the abolition of our liberty teeth.

If only more would assert themselves,... many will find they have sympathetic neighbors who believe as they do, who are similarly fearful.

metalhead357
09-14-2007, 6:59 PM
Here, here!

The tendency of gun owners to refrain from acting on their desire to be armed in fear of the authorities and their silence when confronted by anti-gunners only plays into the abolition of our liberty teeth.

If only more would assert themselves,... many will find they have sympathetic neighbors who believe as they do, who are similarly fearful.

AB-SOL-LUTELY A-A_A Friggin'men! Now why couldn't I have prhased it beautifully like that a thread or two ago:rolleyes: THATS what Im talkin' bout!;)

ccwguy
09-14-2007, 9:14 PM
Here, here!

Amen Brothers. Pack with pride.

God Bless The Mauser
09-14-2007, 9:30 PM
All my friends know I have guns. I won't tell a complete stranger how many guns I have or that I even own any. Around here all my neighbors have guns. There is a private range down the road and they are always shooting. There is a retired Sheriff that lives on a hill next to the property that the range is on and he shoots alot. I even have a small range set up on my property that I use. Even with all that I have been reported for shooting but I'm pretty sure it was one of the neighbors kids that lives in the city. The police officer that came out was friendly and said they just have to make sure I am shooting safe and I told him that I have a range set up and he was fine with it.

As for carrying guns on my property, I do it all the time. I live out in the country so naturally I carry one since there are snakes and stuff out here. When I got shooting I will sometimes put on all my tactical gear but it's just for fun and gets kind of annoying to strap it all on to just go shooting. I never really walk around with my tactical stuff just because I can, I just strap on my .45 with a holster or stick it in my pocket and thats it. I don't always carry a gun around here, but I do when I go off in the back and I will bring whatever I fell like bringing be it a rifle or handgun or both. In back there are all kinds of critters and there is evidence of a mountain lion being around so I always carry a gun of some sort back there.

bwiese
09-15-2007, 2:07 AM
If the owner of the apartment building gives you permission to carry a weapon on his property then it is legal concealed or otherwise. Technically even off duty police officers need permission to carry guns on private property. Disneyland will not let off duty officers bring guns onto there property.

Misinformation.

Please read Machtinger's How to Own a Gun In California and Stay Out of Jail.

Areas surrounding/connecting apartment complexes/bldgs are in essence 'common areas'. The owner/manager can't carry a gun there unless he has a CCW. (Open carry problematic, likely illegal.) A case (at least one) was found against an apt owner-mgr in such a situation.

This is much different than a shop owner being able to carry open or closed while inside confines of his shop.

CitaDeL
09-15-2007, 9:05 AM
Misinformation.

Areas surrounding/connecting apartment complexes/bldgs are in essence 'common areas'. The owner/manager can't carry a gun there unless he has a CCW. (Open carry problematic, likely illegal.) A case (at least one) was found against an apt owner-mgr in such a situation.

This is much different than a shop owner being able to carry open or closed while inside confines of his shop.

Penalty Flag!

http://eteamz.active.com/SectionNineFB/images/YellowFever.jpg

Failure to cite code, while calling open carry 'likely illegal'.
Failure to cite case law, while offering anecdotal evidence of court action.

Open carry is not prohibited in the State of California. What is restricted is the possesion of loaded firearms (PC12031), concealed weapons (PC12025), and firearms possesion in the vicinity of a K-12 school (PC626.9). So open carry of a firearm would only be illegal if the person carrying the firearm was not licensed to carry and carried the weapon loaded, concealed or within 1000ft of a school. Otherwise, the person is guilty of no violation.

metalhead357
09-15-2007, 11:45 AM
Misinformation.

EXACTLY. Thanks Bill...was just the case I was thinking of if it was the so cal case from what? like 10 years ago. What I have always wondered though is most of these "common Areas" are also essentially open to the public........ I've oft wondered if a true CLOSED to the public common area would/or would have netted a different result in the case...:confused:

bwiese
09-15-2007, 11:57 AM
Penalty Flag!
So open carry of a firearm would only be illegal if the person carrying the firearm was not licensed to carry and carried the weapon loaded, concealed or within 1000ft of a school. Otherwise, the person is guilty of no violation.

The case(s) are in Machtinger's book in a footnote, and everyone should have this book. (Hell, I lost my copy, gonna get the 2008 version when released.)

And your mention of open carry issues is well-nigh irrelevant, since 'licenses to carry' CCWs are not that obtainable in most areas, and the case I mentioned in the book indeed involved that situation (nonlicensed apt manager carrying concealed on his own property in common area).

The situation I was commenting upon was an apt manager/owner giving permission to someone (or he himself) to carry a (hand)gun "on his property", with lack of CCW being implicit. (If he had CCW, then it's irrelevant.) Again, despite ownership/control of the property, the 'common areas' are not ordinarily allowed for CCWing - which is different than if you are CCWing in your shop, home or business.

JawBone
09-15-2007, 12:28 PM
The case(s) are in Machtinger's book in a footnote...

Since Librarian seems to be gone this fine Saturday, I'll post it...he's probably referring to:

People v. Overturf (1976) 64 Cal.App.3d Supp. 1.

"Overturf was the owner and manager of an apartment complex...Because Overturf took his loaded gun into the driveway, he was tried and convicted of violating the loaded gun law...The court said it's okay to have a loaded gun in your residence, business, or property but you can't carry it around unless it's "necessary to use it" in a lawful way."

M. Sage
09-15-2007, 1:34 PM

Everyone who knows me personally knows I have guns, and they are aware of an open invitation to come out to the range or the desert for some shooting. I have changed minds. How many minds have you folks changed?

Bingo!

Guilt by association, guys. All that your non-gun neighbors see is the crap shown them in the media: usually murder and mayhem being committed with guns, never anything positive. If some of us would lighten up just a bit, they could see that we're normal people who also own guns. Use some discretion, sure, but closet gun owners are killing us.

That's not what my non-gun owning neighbors see. They see me packing up my stuff to go shoot, or go camping, or... whatever. They see me refinish or clean guns in the back yard. If they don't like it... well, they've never spoken up. All of 'em still wave and say hi when I see them out and about.

I might be taking one neighbor to the range tomorrow. He became pretty interested when he found out that I put together a legal AK variant.

The bottom line is that we need to keep our grass roots growing in all directions. To do that, one of the things we need to do is be visible and visibly positive. We need to break the mental associations in people's minds that say guns are for criminals, police or military ONLY. We need to break the association that says that guns might be ok for hunting, but that's it for law abiding citizens.

I honestly can't think of a better way to show that guns are safe and perfectly ok for normal people to own.

tombinghamthegreat
09-15-2007, 2:50 PM

I do the same thing. It was my friend that got me involved in the NRA and I have got a few people to join the group. Most people I have discussed firearms with did not even know that there was "gun control" going on. I educated them on the subject like the DC case and other stuff.

metalhead357
09-15-2007, 3:15 PM
Well, actually I dont any guns..... I just play a person on tv who does:p

Seriously, it depends on the crowd; the neutrals I skirt the issue and talk about the great outdoors and hunting. With friendlies I definitely am pro gun. For the Anti-gunners I'm very much like the nutt himself Ted Nugent if the situation is right--- I'll call BS in the not so polite fashion to every single preconcieved falicy they've got and tell 'em straight up they're talking to a PROUD gun owner. My Anti-s at work just love me 'cause about every other day I pull 'em aside all like on the DQ side and whisper--- "Did you hear? Another day and another 300 million guns and 80+ million gun owners didn't go wacko!!!!!!!...God your stats must be wrong!"

Yeah, they just LOVE me at work when it comes to thier simpleton political stances especially all things gun...............

KenpoProfessor
09-15-2007, 4:42 PM

I gotta say, living in AZ has made me a bit of an exhibitionist as well as a voyeur, but, that's just the gun thing :D.

I OC everywhere, well, other than Fry's and Costcos with a "No Firearms" sign (then I keep it like my weiner :eek:).

As for the OP, I'd say it's not a good idea to clean guns outside, as much as you'd like to, but WolfmansDad is correct.

Have a great gun carryin' Kenpo day

Clyde

metalhead357
09-15-2007, 5:03 PM
I OC everywhere, well, other than Fry's and Costcos with a "No Firearms" sign (then I keep it like my weiner :eek:).

Showoff:p Get back here and help us win back this state!!!!!!

M. Sage
09-15-2007, 5:07 PM
As for the OP, I'd say it's not a good idea to clean guns outside, as much as you'd like to, but WolfmansDad is correct.

Screw that. You deal with my wife's complaints about the smell of solvents. I'll clean outdoors, thanks.

metalhead357
09-15-2007, 5:12 PM
Screw that. You deal with my wife's complaints about the smell of solvents. I'll clean outdoors, thanks.

HA! Gotta get a wife that luvvvs the smell of Hoppes!!!!!;)

MedSpec65
09-15-2007, 8:21 PM
You might have an exception and enjoy a little more freedom from arrest beause of a nosey hoplophobic neighbor if you have a current business license posted prominently in your place. The law clearly states you can open carry loaded in your place of business.

FatKatMatt
09-15-2007, 9:16 PM

I think you missed my point. I have no qualms about telling people of my pro-gun leanings, that I shoot often, and that I hunt. However, I don't see the point in going around with a shotgun and a tactical vest in your yard; non-gun people don't exactly get warm fuzzy feelings when they think there's some SWAT commando prepared to shoot someone/thing in their neighborhood. There's a big difference between telling people that you're pro-gun and strutting around like it's Red Dawn. Doing that will only further the stereotype that all gun owners are militant whackjob republican weirdos.

Everyone who I am friends with knows that I shoot, that I own guns, and that if they're willing to provide ammunition I'm willing to provide the gun. I've so far taken two non-gun people to the range and changed the minds of a couple more. I just don't consider it particularly wise to advertise that you have guns in the home when you could have anti's calling the cops on you or gangbangers steling your guns when you're not at home.

RANGER295
09-15-2007, 9:31 PM
You guys crack me up. First you think I am caving to the antis and all by saying that we should be careful about what pictures we post of ourselves on MySpace and stuff like that, then you say that we should not let anyone see us with weapons.

To the original question, I think that it would be a bad idea to be in a “tacticool” vest with a weapon moving from cover to cover like some ninja. On the other hand, I have worn weapons on my property even the family place in town. I have done “photo shoots” in the back yard with various weapons in trenches and foxholes that we have dug. I sometimes take more weapons shooting than I have cases for so I will walk to and from the car with a rifle slung over my shoulder. Usually it is something like an SKS or AK-22. I have cleaned weapons on my front porch and garage and I have worked in the garage on weapons as well with the door open. I try not to be obnoxious about it, I try not to flash really “scary” looking weapons, but I live my life and try not to worry about it. Just use common sense.

tombinghamthegreat
09-15-2007, 11:11 PM
So I can legally walk around with a firearm in my yard and I should not be too much of a showoff or be in tatical mode like the movie Shooter. Thanks for the advise.

CitaDeL
09-16-2007, 5:45 AM
Since Librarian seems to be gone this fine Saturday, I'll post it...he's probably referring to:

People v. Overturf (1976) 64 Cal.App.3d Supp. 1.

"Overturf was the owner and manager of an apartment complex...Because Overturf took his loaded gun into the driveway, he was tried and convicted of violating the loaded gun law...The court said it's okay to have a loaded gun in your residence, business, or property but you can't carry it around unless it's "necessary to use it" in a lawful way."

If Overturf had carried it unloaded he would have been in compliance with PC12031 and never been arrested. (Well, at least not for the loaded weapons charge.) He also could have carried his weapon loaded in unicorporated areas-- (ie: outside city limits) provided he was not in a 'prohibited area', and (if he didnt have a license to carry concealed-) that he did not conceal his pistol.

My point is that PC12031 prohibits loaded weapons, not open carry.