PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Lee Pistol PTX Die

NorCal Einstein
01-27-2013, 11:58 AM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about polishing up my Lee .45 PTX die this afternoon. I've been thinking of getting some jeweler's compound (or something similar) and a cloth dremel attachment and polishing up the inside of the die. I've seen some people say they use sandpaper, but I'm leaning toward doing the least aggressive method I can think of to only improve the die (not needing to fix any problems with it).

Wanted to see if this seemed like a sound idea?

Bill Steele
01-27-2013, 2:07 PM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about polishing up my Lee .45 PTX die this afternoon. I've been thinking of getting some jeweler's compound (or something similar) and a cloth dremel attachment and polishing up the inside of the die. I've seen some people say they use sandpaper, but I'm leaning toward doing the least aggressive method I can think of to only improve the die (not needing to fix any problems with it).

Wanted to see if this seemed like a sound idea?

For most of the polishing I do, where I want to keep material loss and recontouring to a minimum, I use a dremel, felt head and some Mother's polish, Simichrome, etc. If you want to get a little more aggresive, for say deeper machining marks, start with 3M rubbing compound, then move to polishing compound.

NorCal Einstein
01-27-2013, 2:24 PM
Thanks for the info Bill, totally forgot about Mother's polish and I might even have a jar of it somewhere if I look hard.

Another question: in the Lee 4 die carbide set, are there any dies that I absolutely should not touch? Sizing die, seating die, factory crimp, and PTX which I'm planning on doing.

Bill Steele
01-27-2013, 2:35 PM
Thanks for the info Bill, totally forgot about Mother's polish and I might even have a jar of it somewhere if I look hard.

Another question: in the Lee 4 die carbide set, are there any dies that I absolutely should not touch? Sizing die, seating die, factory crimp, and PTX which I'm planning on doing.

The carbide rings on the sizer and the LCFD should aleady by polished, so really I think the only thing to be gained would be the expander.

the led farmer
01-27-2013, 6:00 PM
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about polishing up my Lee .45 PTX die this afternoon
?

Why??

3006mv
01-27-2013, 6:47 PM
It makes it smoother to operate i would guess. do it what do you got to lose? use the wool felt wheel or cone w/ polishing rouge.
don't forget to clean out internals w/ acetone or brake cleaner till dry. Don't want any oil in there for powder to stick to.