PDA

View Full Version : Metric vs. Moa Knobs

PistolPete75
09-12-2007, 6:09 PM
What advantages does metric knobs have over 1/4 moa knobs? What are the disadvantages?

rksimple
09-12-2007, 8:08 PM
.1 mil adjustments come out to about .34 MOA. That gives you a little coarser adjustments for quicker dialing. Given 10 mils per revolution on an elevation dial, you could get to 1000 with one spin.

There really isn't an advantage one way or the other as long as the reticle and knobs match, be it MOA or mils.

I am going all metric for a couple reasons. One of them is the reason above. At most any match in this country (or any other for that matter) mils are the standard. Anyone calling your miss will most likely be doing it in mils. So holding corrections will be quicker; no thinking involved in converting mils to MOA. Having the turrets match the reticle makes it much easier. Holding off and dialing would be done in the same value, leaving your dope card much less cluttered.

Fianlly, I'm sick of different scope manufacturers making knobs and reticles in shooters MOA and true MOA. Not knowing which one your scope has can result in misses at extended distances, let alone if your reticle is in SMOA and your turrets are in TMOA!

For me, things are much simpler with all mils.

PistolPete75
09-12-2007, 8:14 PM
thanks ryan.

Mute
09-12-2007, 8:23 PM
There isn't any advantage of one over the other, except slightly finer adjustments with the .25 MOA knobs, which might be useful for long range target shooters who need that level of adjustment.

The area where you might find an advantage of one or the other is if you have knobs that match your reticle in the system that is used. If you're not already hard wired to mil reticle/MOA knobs, than going mil/mil or moa/moa will make life much easier if you're inclined towards dialing in your shot adjustments. If you just holdover rather than dial in then it's a moot point.

FYI, if you plan to go to some shooting schools, a majority of them teach in mil, so going with a mil reticle system will make it easier when you attend class.

rksimple
09-12-2007, 8:25 PM
I've heard it said, "Don't get a scope that adjusts in increments smaller than the bullet diameter at 100 yards." It was one of the instructors at rifles only I think...someone over there on SH. Seems like good advice.

PistolPete75
09-12-2007, 8:30 PM
either case, i can't afford the sn3. i decided against it due to guilt of spending too much money.