PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Police arrested at Phoenix, Az. Gun Show on felony charges

Liberty1
09-12-2007, 3:55 PM
http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0912mexpolice.html

Three high-ranking Mexican officers arrested at Phoenix gun show
The Associated Press
Sept. 12, 2007 09:54 AM

PHOENIX - Three high-ranking Mexican police officers were arrested over the weekend for buying weapons at a gun show in Phoenix in violation of a law barring non-citizens from purchasing firearms, a federal official said Wednesday.

The three include the director of the Baja California Sur state police and a commander of the federal police in Baja California, said Tom Mangan, a spokesman with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Phoenix.

The three had crossed the border at Calexico, Calif., in an official police vehicle and driven to Phoenix. They were arrested by Phoenix police and ATF agents after buying three handguns and about 450 rounds of ammunition Saturday at the gun show, Mangan said.

He said it appeared the officers were buying the handguns for their personal use.

Phoenix police booked Carlos Alberto Flores, 36, the Baja California state police director, on state weapons misconduct and conspiracy charges, according to a Phoenix police report. State police Commander Guillermo Valle Medina, 33, was booked on the same felony charges, as was Jose Santos Cortez Gonzalez, 41, a top-ranking federal police official.

They posted bond and were released from jail, Mangan said.

Phoenix police, Mesa police and Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents running an enforcement program at the gun show overheard Gonzalez negotiating with a dealer for two guns, then watched as he bought them, according to the police report.

Officers followed Gonzalez and Flores back to their Chevrolet Suburban, which was armored and equipped with bulletproof windows. They went back inside, met up with Valle, and continued buying ammunition and gun supplies before leaving, according to the report.

Police stopped their vehicle after they left the gun show, searched it and found the three handguns and the ammunition, the police report said.

Mangan said Mexican officials have been pressuring U.S. officials to cut off the supply of weapons going south.

dustoff31
09-12-2007, 5:38 PM
Corrupt Mexican officials? This is news?

Mark_in_Pasadena
09-12-2007, 7:17 PM
Well I guess the questions for me is this. How did they get into the country? Are Mexican Police allowed to enter the country?

jdberger
09-12-2007, 7:32 PM
Well I guess the questions for me is this. How did they get into the country? Are Mexican Police allowed to enter the country?

Nope. There's a color chart at every border crossing and if your skin is darker than a certain one on the chart, they won't let you in.

They must have been really caucasian looking.

I know 'cause my friend has a cousin who works for ICE.

mike100
09-12-2007, 7:50 PM
MiP..please...any Mexican National with a good job and a home address can get a tourist Visa. If they get caught crossing illegally, they are pretty much barred for life from getting a visa here. It's the hordes of the poor from the south of Mexico that cross.

what gets me on this story is how did they pass a nics check? was this a face to face ppt deal? I'm not too familiar with AZ transfer law.

Mark_in_Pasadena
09-12-2007, 7:51 PM
Nope. There's a color chart at every border crossing and if your skin is darker than a certain one on the chart, they won't let you in.

They must have been really caucasian looking.

I know 'cause my friend has a cousin who works for ICE.

You must be joking.......:eek:

Mark_in_Pasadena
09-12-2007, 7:54 PM
MiP..please...any Mexican National with a good job and a home address can get a tourist Visa. If they get caught crossing illegally, they are pretty much barred for life from getting a visa here. It's the hordes of the poor from the south of Mexico that cross.

what gets me on this story is how did they pass a nics check? was this a face to face ppt deal? I'm not too familiar with AZ transfer law.

OK Mike, that makes sense, but when I read the last sentence I said, "Why would they mention that?", and it pissed me off to high hell......:mad:

LAK Supply
09-12-2007, 8:04 PM
I don't believe there is a NICS check at a gun show in AZ.....

Hmmm.... if the police officials can't be trusted, then maybe we can't trust the truck drivers coming over here....? :rolleyes:

dustoff31
09-12-2007, 8:05 PM

Arizona follows federal law regarding transfers. FFL's can't (are not supposed to) deliver firearms at a gun show. So this was most likely a private party transfer with phoney or no ID's.

As for getting across the border, as they were in a mexican gov't vehicle, they probably claimed some sort of official bussiness, or diplomatic purpose.

jdberger
09-12-2007, 8:09 PM
AZ PPT law is cash and carry - no NICS. It's not that common, but not that uncommon, either. About half of the guns I bought in AZ at shows were PPTs (when I was a resident).

FFL sales all use the instant check.

It's common for the better heeled Mexican nationals to come north to buy guns. Things that they can't get in Mexico. If caught, they pay the appropriate "fines" and people look the other way.

IIRC, you can buy guns with a Green Card.

jdberger
09-12-2007, 8:11 PM
Arizona follows federal law regarding transfers. FFL's can't (are not supposed to) deliver firearms at a gun show.

Whoops....part 2 of this statement is incorrect.

C.G.
09-12-2007, 11:46 PM
Ai, chiuchava (or whatever those obnoxious little dogs are)!:)

EOD Guy
09-13-2007, 5:56 AM
Arizona follows federal law regarding transfers. FFL's can't (are not supposed to) deliver firearms at a gun show. So this was most likely a private party transfer with phoney or no ID's.

FFL's certainly can deliver firearms at gun shows. Where did you get the idea that they can't?

The only restriction is that the gun show must be in the state in which they are licensed. At out of state gun shows, they can only deliver C&R firearms to other licensees.

El Barto
09-13-2007, 8:03 AM
You guys aren't looking at the real culprits here. It is America that lures innocent Mexican officials into the U.S. and floods them with our cheap easy to get assult rifles.

dustoff31
09-13-2007, 9:23 AM
FFL's certainly can deliver firearms at gun shows. Where did you get the idea that they can't?

The only restriction is that the gun show must be in the state in which they are licensed. At out of state gun shows, they can only deliver C&R firearms to other licensees.

True. I stand corrected. Not sure what I was thinking.

Also, an update to the story from azcentral.com:

Print Article Email Article Most Popular Change Type Size Mexican police officers arrested at Valley gun show
Veronica Sanchez
12 News
Sept. 12, 2007 08:21 PM

Three Mexican police officers are facing serious federal charges after they were arrested at a gun show this weekend. ATF agents say the three men tried to buy three pistols and ammunition from a private seller.

In this country, It's illegal for foreign nationals to buy guns. Agents say the men were aware of the laws and might of been trying to buy them for personal use because it's difficult to purchase guns in Mexico without a special permit.

Last month one of the three suspects was interviewed by a Mexican media outlet about the dangers of guns. In that interview Carlos Lopes said criminals often buy guns in Arizona because the gun laws here are lenient and there is no waiting period like there is in California.

The men have appeared before a Maricopa county judge and posted bond. They are now back in Mexico.

easy
09-13-2007, 4:56 PM
The men have appeared before a Maricopa county judge and posted bond. They are now back in Mexico.

Never to be seen again.

gose
09-13-2007, 5:13 PM
"In this country, It's illegal for foreign nationals to buy guns."

No it's not, but who would expect a news station to get it right?

gazzavc
09-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Lucky they didn't come to a California show...............

In todays news 3 Mexican Policemen were aprehended today on the way out of a California gun show, charged with buying 10 pounds of beef jerky, GI Joe accessory kits and old 45rpm record of "Raindrops keep falling on my head". When questioned the policemen admitted they had taken the wrong turning and were intending to go to Arizona instead , but to allay suspicion they bought the items to make them appear like touists. Now your weather...........

N6ATF
09-13-2007, 11:13 PM
Ai, chiuchava (or whatever those obnoxious little dogs are)!:)

Chihuahua.

Chi+(hua*2).