PDA

View Full Version : STS Guns in Folsom....how not to treat a customer..

Zenhunter
01-26-2013, 11:29 AM
Since this is my first post here, I want to introduce myself:

I’ve been shooting for more than forty years, beginning with adventures in the creek behind my house with a Daisy 1894, to now – shotgunning for waterfowl or going to the range with a variety of handguns and rifles, including an 1873 Trapdoor Springfield and several guns from the World Wars. I’m a fifth generation Californian but wonder whether the sixth generation will be able to own a gun when they’re my age. I am an NRA member.

Now to the matter at hand:

I’ve been searching for a CA-legal Smith & Wesson M&P15. My girlfriend and I went to STS in Folsom. They didn’t have one, but the guy behind the counter suggested I put my name on their board, and that they would contact me when one came in. If they called me, he said they would give me “24 hours to come in and complete the purchase.”

Two weeks went by then around 6:15pm one evening they called me to say one had just come in. They said I could come in the next morning when they opened (they closed at 7pm). However, I was able to go that night, so I called them back and told them I was on my way. I arrived at 6:45pm.

When I got there, I was told they had sold the gun to someone who’d just walked in. Naturally, I was shocked and in disbelief. “But you just called me to come in and get it, and here I am.” The clerk just shrugged and said, “Hey what can I say? We put it up on the wall and someone bought it.”

Put it up on the wall? Then what the hell is the point of having a waiting list, calling someone, having them tell you they are coming down to the store to buy it? And what happened to “24 hours”? Again, just the shrug and we really don’t give a damn smirk. I took the time to come there twice, once to put my name on the board and once to buy the gun, you know, invested more time and effort than someone who just walked in the door at that moment. Means nothing to STS apparently.

I mean, why not tell the guy that someone is coming in to buy it, but if they don’t show up, he can have it? That would be the right thing to do. Unless STS is just plain greedy and sleazy.

I have bought a lot of guns. When I lived in Southern California, I was never treated this shabbily at Fowler’s or The Stockade, or now that I’m in Northern California, during the purchase of my concealed carry gun at Mosquito Creek. They treated my patronage with respect, helpfulness, appreciation and professionalism.

In my opinion, STS is just riding the wave and doesn’t give a damn about you or your business. A customer is apparently just another piece of meat with a checkbook; one is as good as another. I hate to think how they treat a customer who bought a gun and had a problem or something that needed to be fixed. Zero respect, zero professionalism and worst of all, zero honor.

Anyway, be warned. You may want to skip this gun shop if you’re shopping for a firearm.

keenkeen
01-26-2013, 11:51 AM
what was the price?

Theoriginalgiga
01-26-2013, 12:35 PM

I’ve been shooting for more than forty years, beginning with adventures in the creek behind my house with a Daisy 1894, to now – shotgunning for waterfowl or going to the range with a variety of handguns and rifles, including an 1873 Trapdoor Springfield and several guns from the World Wars. I’m a fifth generation Californian but wonder whether the sixth generation will be able to own a gun when they’re my age. I am an NRA member.

I’ve been searching for a CA-legal Smith & Wesson M&P15. My girlfriend and I went to STS in Folsom. They didn’t have one, but the guy behind the counter suggested I put my name on their board, and that they would contact me when one came in. If they called me, he said they would give me “24 hours to come in and complete the purchase.”

Two weeks went by then around 6:15pm one evening they called me to say one had just come in. They said I could come in the next morning when they opened (they closed at 7pm). However, I was able to go that night, so I called them back and told them I was on my way. I arrived at 6:45pm.

When I got there, I was told they had sold the gun to someone who’d just walked in. Naturally, I was shocked and in disbelief. “But you just called me to come in and get it, and here I am.” The clerk just shrugged and said, “Hey what can I say? We put it up on the wall and someone bought it.”

Put it up on the wall? Then what the hell is the point of having a waiting list, calling someone, having them tell you they are coming down to the store to buy it? And what happened to “24 hours”? Again, just the shrug and we really don’t give a damn smirk. I took the time to come there twice, once to put my name on the board and once to buy the gun, you know, invested more time and effort than someone who just walked in the door at that moment. Means nothing to STS apparently.

I mean, why not tell the guy that someone is coming in to buy it, but if they don’t show up, he can have it? That would be the right thing to do. Unless STS is just plain greedy and sleazy.

I have bought a lot of guns. When I lived in Southern California, I was never treated this shabbily at Fowler’s or The Stockade, or now that I’m in Northern California, during the purchase of my concealed carry gun at Mosquito Creek. They treated my patronage with respect, helpfulness, appreciation and professionalism.

In my opinion, STS is just riding the wave and doesn’t give a damn about you or your business. A customer is apparently just another piece of meat with a checkbook; one is as good as another. I hate to think how they treat a customer who bought a gun and had a problem or something that needed to be fixed. Zero respect, zero professionalism and worst of all, zero honor.

Anyway, be warned. You may want to skip this gun shop if you’re shopping for a firearm.

That's horrible. I thought my bad experience was just a one off. About a year ago I had called them looking to get a bolt action rifle. As I'm not an expert on them I asked their opinion on a sub $1K rifle. the clerk was rude and said "if you just called for an opinion you should have just gone online." I went somewhere else.

spetsnaz
01-26-2013, 12:49 PM
was in there few weeks ago doing ppt. went smoothly. didnt know what the board war for.

sucks man but move on. not every place is friendly. only place i think is friendly is sac black rifle

ramathorn
01-26-2013, 12:52 PM
I've never been to STS. I stick to Rancho Shooting Center. They have good prices and the guys at the counter are always nice and helpful. I hate shops with crummy service and attitudes and wonder how they stay in business...

xrayoneone
01-26-2013, 12:57 PM
With business practices like that they'll be out of business soon enough. I would go back to purchase a few rifles and then walk out without completing the transaction.

Theoriginalgiga
01-26-2013, 12:57 PM
was in there few weeks ago doing ppt. went smoothly. didnt know what the board war for.

sucks man but move on. not every place is friendly. only place i think is friendly is sac black rifle

I've had a lot of great luck with Just Guns (the new management that took over a couple years ago). I bought my AR there and before I took it home their gunsmith tore it down and completely cleaned and lubed it. Nice folks, they'll chat with you as long as you want to talk, offer their opinions but if there's someone waiting and you're just BSing, they'll help the person. very attentive.

Space Plumber
01-26-2013, 1:27 PM
+1 Sac Black Rifle and also TDS. They've always been friendly and honest with me.

jkrew619
01-26-2013, 11:22 PM
same here..sac black rifle..good service all the time.

roushstage2
01-27-2013, 12:05 AM
Not the first time I've heard something like this about their customer service. Such a shame. I have no desire to even walk through their front door.

onewheelwes
01-27-2013, 6:30 AM

Well, now you are a CalGuns member. Cheers!

diverwcw
01-27-2013, 7:19 AM
Thanks for the input on this experience. Have you considered giving them a review on Yelp?

Zenhunter
01-27-2013, 8:41 AM
Thanks for the gun shop suggestions. I will check with them about the M&P15. And yes, I've put a review up on Yelp. Interesting, they have a lot of 5 star reviews (that sound so glowing to the point of sounding phony). Did see one that said he was ignored and treated like he wasn't even there when he was waiting to be helped.

Zenhunter
01-27-2013, 9:49 AM
P.S. Just noticed that the reviews of STS that show on Yelp are all positive except one...but if you click the tiny little "filtered reviews" link at the very bottom, you find 17 reviews that are mostly negative. Interesting...seems like Yelp's set up might be giving people false confidence about STS.

keenkeen
01-27-2013, 10:10 AM
WHAT WAS THE PRICE ON THE M&P 15?

bruss01
01-27-2013, 10:27 AM

Good to know. I can't stand incompetence or chicanery. Giving them the benefit I'm going to assume the former. Won't be buying a gun there, thanks for the head's up.

I was in there once looking at guns. Got a lot of misinformation from the 20-something behind the counter. Wasn't going to argue with him, after all, he already knows it all, right? If you're going to work in a gun store, get your facts straight sonny.

bchiefsa
01-27-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll take them off my list.

paul0660
01-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Like Seinfeld said, you know how to TAKE the reservation, you don't know how to KEEP the reservation.

Zenhunter
01-27-2013, 2:15 PM
Keen, it was $1,100. Not out of sync with other similar guns, but three months ago the same gun was listed at $800.

buckallred
01-27-2013, 8:27 PM
I bought a gun there last week. They were courteous, knowledgeable and friendly, i would recommend them. Not to disagree with zenhunter, but i just thought i would comment since i just bought there. The clerk that helped me is a calgunner and was very helpful re: doing an AR build, etc.

But: do NOT go to Wild Sports in Orangevale. The worst experience ever, trust me, **** that place.

walterwhite
01-28-2013, 11:17 AM
I've had a lot of great luck with Just Guns ----Nice folks, they'll chat with you as long as you want to talk, offer their opinions but if there's someone waiting and you're just BSing, they'll help the person. very attentive.

1st I only walked into STS once, their prices are so much higher than the other gun stores. I did talk to a friendly & helpful sales guy, who did call me when they got in the model I was looking for, but I had already purchased same gun for $150 less somewhere else.

Regarding the quote about "Just Guns", I am looking for some place to give consistent business too also, so I googled "Just Guns" (https://plus.google.com/107048625850495284941/about?gl=US&hl=en-US) and was surprised to find not very many happy customers.
The worst comment is about a consignment gun, and they haven't paid the owner after selling it. In addition there is a comment where the customer shows the owner all the bad ratings his business received, and the owner responds with "I don't care!". While it may not be fair to comment without personal experience, I have found that ratings usually can be trusted if you understand how to read them, and who might be posting.

I have purchased from Wild Sports, they did call me when I put my name on a list for a model they stock but were out of, I went right down and purchased the gun no problem, however they are slightly high on some guns and fair on others. Years ago they used to be very helpful and friendly, it seems their customer service is overwhelmed with the current demand, and the staff are just going through the motions, since there are 10 more buyers lined up if the current customers walks out.

Right now it is a sellers market, they get the prices they want, due to supply & demand, customer service it seems is low on a lot of gun stores priority list.

JDay
02-04-2013, 6:55 PM
I bought a gun there last week. They were courteous, knowledgeable and friendly, i would recommend them. Not to disagree with zenhunter, but i just thought i would comment since i just bought there. The clerk that helped me is a calgunner and was very helpful re: doing an AR build, etc.

But: do NOT go to Wild Sports in Orangevale. The worst experience ever, trust me, **** that place.

I was in there a couple weeks ago looking at AR parts and optics. Service was good, staff was friendly. They even told me that if I buy parts there that I need to have installed their gunsmith will do it for free. Maybe there's a few bad apples working there but I didn't notice it.

onewheelwes
02-04-2013, 9:03 PM
I am not so much of a shopper as a getter, but in the sacto area I still like River City Gun Exchange. I was concerned the first time I walked in, but the staff knows what they are talking about and they seem to have what I want more than their competition.

USMC VET
02-04-2013, 9:58 PM

Sac Black Rifle is my number one choice when it comes to gun shops, they are always attentive and friendly. My number two is River City Gun Exchange.

vmwerks
02-04-2013, 10:02 PM
P.S. Just noticed that the reviews of STS that show on Yelp are all positive except one...but if you click the tiny little "filtered reviews" link at the very bottom, you find 17 reviews that are mostly negative. Interesting...seems like Yelp's set up might be giving people false confidence about STS.

Yelp is the WORST place to read reviews - they tried to extort money from me - there's a negative review by a non customer that had listed a competitors name and pricing. It is years old yet appears on the first page near the top.. for the right price I can have it moved away... no thanks

DENCO
02-05-2013, 7:25 AM
Arlington firearms on Date Ave is another one to stay away from. They quote prices then after you pay you notice a hidden Dealer Charge. So the price your told is not really the price you pay. The prices go up as your driving there as well. After a few of those deals I stopped going.. Very wishy washy when ya ask if they have something, they say yes- then try to buy it -nothing but excuses, weird very weird..

NytWolf
02-05-2013, 8:26 AM
I've never been to STS.

But I have been to the other places mentioned. Wild Sports, TDS, and River City have all been great. Sac Black Rifle, on the other hand, was arrogant.

hotshoe
02-05-2013, 10:51 AM
Try Shootin Shack Guns in Elk Grove. Those guys are awsome. I been on a list a couple of times for different guns and they've always called me. Great place

pdq_wizzard
02-05-2013, 10:58 AM
I have bought many guns from STS, never had a problem. When the panic buying started SBR raised there $$ on lowers to ~$300. STS held there prices for a week before raising there prices at that was $40 on there last 15.

There are one or two people that I will not deal with in there (to mall mall ninja for me)

retiredAFcop
02-05-2013, 12:52 PM
+ 1 suggesting a trip to TDS next time.

schonertod
02-10-2013, 8:31 PM
I used to like STS but they led me around trying to work a deal to make shooting targets for them but when it came down to making an order they pretty much wouldnt talk about it anymore after 5 trips there planning and designing what they needed it was like a kick in the pants. Im also dealing with a problem because i bought my wife a cross bow from them that broke the first time we took it out. and now they pretty much dont care its been sent out for repairs but they cant get us an eta on when we can expect it back. Wild sports isnt to bad and its close to STS they have stiffs and run by the book there but they normally have good prices and good stock. Sac black rifle i would watch out for because they go and buy up all the stock rifles from sportsmans and put ok parts on them and jack the prices through the roof worse then most private sellers. TDS is a pretty good shop but they have low stock and not a super big selection.

MrACP
02-11-2013, 6:13 PM

Yelp is contacting business owners, and for $300 pr month, with a 6 month commitment, you can control, or even delete bad reviews.

kcheung2
02-15-2013, 9:19 PM
That's a shame to hear about them. I bought an AR from them last summer because I liked their customer service, even though their prices were higher. A few months later I wanted a .22 rifle and they were glad to order what I wanted. They got 2, and though the one they put on the shelves was marked $170 they sold me mine for $160. Of course I could have saved about $20 at the Big 5 just down the block but i wanted to support a LGS.

That whiteboard was actually used, there were times that i overheard them calling people on the board informing them that an item had come it.

I haven't been there often lately since the Great Gun Shortage of 2013 because their inventory -already pretty sparse - had become virtually nonexistant. I hope the OP's experience is not indicative of how they'll be in the future. The one thing going for them was their service (and maybe the square footage) but if they lose that then there's no reason to go there. Back last summer when supply & demand was in balance, buyers & shops were on equal footing. The current situation gives shops more power, and those that abuse it leave a bad memory.

DDMan
02-16-2013, 1:07 AM
It's sad that I have yet to find a truly GOOD gun store in the Sac area...

SBR USED to be good, when they weren't firearms dealer. Once they moved to Rocklin they became incredibly arrogant. I NEVER received callbacks on guns I was interested in, and have been BANNED from posting on their Facebook page after I posted their prices for lowers (which were $400, stripped last time I was there). I love how they say they are the only Glock Blue Label dealer in Sac, when in reality they ARENT (Look it up on Glock's dealer locator yourself). Their distributor is, and all the other local shops can get Glock blue label at the same price. The sad thing... I've bought 4 guns there, and I'm a LEO. So much for being LEO friendly...

TDS is almost as bad. I've never bought a gun from them, but they just felt arrogant every time I've gone in there.

MSI Guns in Roseville gave me attitude IMMEDIATELY. I walked in, didn't plan on buying anything, but saw a gun in the "LEO ONLY" case. I asked to see it, and they asked if I was an LEO. I told them I was, and all was fine. Until the 20 year old behind the counter started talking about how he has to lock up his handgun whenever he comes and goes from the shop. When I asked him how he owns a handgun at 20, he said it was his dad's. We start discussing high cap mags, and he starts telling me what is "letter of the law" legal and what is not. At that point, I have already said I want to buy the gun, but I will try and get a letter from my dept, foregoing the waiting period. His reply "no agencies around here give letters." I told him he was wrong, and my dept does. At that point I was glad I got a letter because I didn't want to do business there anymore.

Cal-Tac in Roseville has been pretty cool so far whenever I've been in there. Just bought 2 Glocks from them.

slaphappy
02-16-2013, 1:52 AM
Cordova shooting center is worth checking out. Pat the owner is a good guy and has gone through some lengths to get me a couple handguns I was looking for that he didn't have in stock. It took some time but he came through and I got exactly what I wanted. They are small but they also seem less busy than some other shops, maybe thats why he had a couple AR's on the shelf still last time I was there, one was an M&P 15 sport.

richard chese
02-16-2013, 2:15 AM
With business practices like that they'll be out of business soon enough. I would go back to purchase a few rifles and then walk out without completing the transaction.

THIS +1

mmesa005
02-20-2013, 11:56 AM
I had the same bad experience with STS - won't go back there.

The challenge with Yelp as someone pointed out is that you can pay to have bad feedback taken off. Word of mouth is best!

pure3d2
02-26-2013, 5:06 PM
Arlington firearms on Date Ave is another one to stay away from. They quote prices then after you pay you notice a hidden Dealer Charge. So the price your told is not really the price you pay. The prices go up as your driving there as well. After a few of those deals I stopped going.. Very wishy washy when ya ask if they have something, they say yes- then try to buy it -nothing but excuses, weird very weird..

I've also had the unfortunate chance of doing business with these people. I would avoid them at all costs.

robaroni
02-26-2013, 6:20 PM
Yelp is contacting business owners, and for $300 pr month, with a 6 month commitment, you can control, or even delete bad reviews.

This is true. A friend runs a business and can manage his Yelp reviews as he likes as long as he is a paying business member,

spetsnaz
02-26-2013, 6:24 PM
since we are on the topic what do you guys/customers think of river city gun exchange and wild bills place?

n2stackin
02-27-2013, 5:36 AM
Local gun stores are like the DMV. How you are treated seems to be directly linked to which side of the bed the employee woke up on.

desertexplore
02-27-2013, 6:03 AM
I am not so much of a shopper as a getter, but in the sacto area I still like River City Gun Exchange. I was concerned the first time I walked in, but the staff knows what they are talking about and they seem to have what I want more than their competition.

Beat me to it- River City Guns is THE BEST in Sac County! I have done some business before with STS and Wildwood Sports and they were good. Sac Black Rifle has also treated me well, but a good friend who I trust had a negative experience there recently.

OP- Sorry about your bad experience there. There are better places to shop and I will personally meet up with you at River City Guns to introduce you to the staff there. I'm tight with them and will help you out there if needed. Please PM me and I'll give you my cell number, no problem.

Will Bills in Elk Grove is good as well, but their customer service has gone down alot since they expanded. If you go there, try to deal only with the nice lady named Marge.

The Shooting Shack and MTG guns in Elk Grove both seem to have pretty nice staff, but these new stores have to have higher prices to survive.

Thanks again on the heads up on STS.

Jed peters
02-27-2013, 8:56 AM
The Shooting Shack and MTG guns in Elk Grove both seem to have pretty nice staff, but these new stores have to have higher prices to survive.

Thanks again on the heads up on STS.

Not true about MTG. They have great prices, some of the fairest in town.

I'm a big MTG fan, shop there regularly and am happy.

Mrdroidian
03-04-2013, 7:25 PM
Originally Posted by desertexplore (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=10660340)<br />

<br />

<br />
The Shooting Shack and MTG guns in Elk Grove both seem to have pretty nice staff, but these new stores have to have higher prices to survive.<br />
<br />
Thanks again on the heads up on STS.<br />
<br />
Not true about MTG. They have great prices, some of the fairest in town.<br />
<br />

I have shopped at most of the local firearm stores in the Sacramento area. I must say that I have a negative experience 100% of the time that I go to "Justguns" on watt ave!

Every time i go to "JustGuns" the staff either ignores me,or they talk down to me like I'm too stupid to own a firearm. i have since stopped shopping there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

eletrickill
03-05-2013, 3:13 PM
I love River City Gun Exchange!!! I have been to most stores in northern CA and river city is the best. ASK FOR KELLY. He is pacient, well rounded in firearm knowledge and he does all the ordering for the store... so if you need it, he can order it. Prices are great too.

Tell Him JAMES sent you!!

nani
03-12-2013, 1:20 PM
I live 5 minutes away from STS, and actually just bought a rifle and a handgun there in the last month. Their customer service is spotty at best. Around 50% of the time when I walk in there I expect to be treated poorly/ignored/insulted/treated like I don't know anything about guns. The other 50% of the time I'm treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. It's a crap-shoot.

The guy at STS we bought my hubbie's rifle from was really friendly and nice. The guy we picked it up from was an arrogant condescending jerk.

I've always been treated well 100% of the time from SBR and RCGE.

Edit: Shooter's Warehouse is also great!

Mrdroidian
03-15-2013, 4:46 PM
I live 5 minutes away from STS, and actually just bought a rifle and a handgun there in the last month. Their customer service is spotty at best. Around 50% of the time when I walk in there I expect to be treated poorly/ignored/insulted/treated like I don't know anything about guns. The other 50% of the time I'm treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. It's a crap-shoot.

The guy at STS we bought my hubbie's rifle from was really friendly and nice. The guy we picked it up from was an arrogant condescending jerk.

I've always been treated well 100% of the time from SBR and RCGE.

Edit: Shooter's Warehouse is also great!

Lol well I don't shoot craps when I buy firearms, if I cant get respect, you can't have my money! Lol

cool_as_crap
04-17-2013, 4:20 PM
since we are on the topic what do you guys/customers think of river city gun exchange and wild bills place?

River city is awesome. They are usually packed, but once you get someone to help you, they are very helpful. Their prices aren't bad either.

Jet Setter
04-17-2013, 5:15 PM
<br />
<br />
Not true about MTG. They have great prices, some of the fairest in town.<br />
<br />

I have shopped at most of the local firearm stores in the Sacramento area. I must say that I have a negative experience 100% of the time that I go to "Justguns" on watt ave!

Every time i go to "JustGuns" the staff either ignores me,or they talk down to me like I'm too stupid to own a firearm. i have since stopped shopping there!

Their online reviews speak volumes. Justguns SUCK. I went there 1 time and walked out after 2 minutes. They are all D-Bags.

kcheung2
04-17-2013, 7:46 PM
River City is great! So great in fact that our gun-grabbing politicians feel a need to pose with their flyer in hand! (Do a google search for Darrell Steinberg). And if you're looking for 223, they have lots of it. They're selling 1000rd boxes for $675, and I counted at least 70 boxes stacked in various corners. Not the best prices, but cheaper than anyone in the For Sale section.

JDay
04-17-2013, 8:16 PM

Strange, I've had nothing but good experiences at Just Guns. They do PPT's really quick too.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Lex Vader
04-17-2013, 9:18 PM
I hate Just Guns. Nothing but bad service from them.

River City is my favorite gun shop in Sacramento. All the guys are rad. TDS takes good care of me as well. For the most part, Sac Black Rife is good but there has been a time or two when I didn't get treated very well. The guys at the Cordova range are great as well as the guys at The Gun Range.

For the most part, River City has the best guns as well as the most guns in stock.

Mrdroidian
04-18-2013, 7:22 AM
I hate Just Guns. Nothing but bad service from them.

River City is my favorite gun shop in Sacramento. All the guys are rad. TDS takes good care of me as well. For the most part, Sac Black Rife is good but there has been a time or two when I didn't get treated very well. The guys at the Cordova range are great as well as the guys at The Gun Range.

For the most part, River City has the best guns as well as the most guns in stock.

Wow, I thought I was the only one to have experienced the poor service in this place. I don't go anywhere near "Justguns", they don't get what customer service means. What's funny is people were making complaints about how they were treating African-American customers, so they hired an African-American guy but his customer services skills aren't any better then the owners or the old guys that already work there! I now shop at river city , or wild bills trading post, at least I know they are faking it and trying to make me feel welcome! Lol jk

elusive916
04-26-2013, 8:50 AM
I was in there with a buddy for about 10mins, we weren't even acknowledeged. Not a Hi, hello, can we help you with something. Not even eye contact. I said to hell with this store, I'll bring my business else where.

elusive916
04-26-2013, 8:52 AM
I forgot to mention this was at STS... and the store WAS NOT BUSY AT THE TME. they'll never get my mon-nay!!!

Moto
04-26-2013, 8:56 AM
waiting for deisel Power to come in and tell us all how wrong the client was and to justify the terrible customer service.

akoba
04-30-2013, 3:58 PM
Not true about MTG. They have great prices, some of the fairest in town.

I like MTG but i have to disagree with their pricing. Last january i ask them how much for the transfer of my lower reciever (GB lower) and i mention that i read somewhere they will offer discount on the transfer if i was a member of calguns. They quote me $75 plus DROS fee. I was shock, so i decided to check somewhere. Then 2 weeks ago i ask again how much it will cost me for the transfer of my lower in their shop. The guy on the cashier quoted me $100 plus DROS fee. :facepalm:
I just say thank You and then left.
I'm glad i go to GST with robbie.

michaelthetrojan
05-15-2013, 12:55 PM
i was in tds a little bit ago.
Can any one tell me what happened to them? back in 2010 and 2011 they were killing it! they had the best selection the best everything! prices, parts even their 2A saturday was a hit! now it seems like they only a couple pistols and a few rifles.
did they get into legal trouble?

fishhoppa
05-19-2013, 7:38 PM
I hate Yelp.

ramathorn
05-19-2013, 8:16 PM
I've been to STS once and they were nice. It was slow so maybe thats why it was a decent experience. One visit - no complaints.

JDay
05-20-2013, 12:58 AM
I've been to STS once and they were nice. It was slow so maybe thats why it was a decent experience. One visit - no complaints.

I've been there twice this year when it was busy and the staff were friendly and helpful.

n2stackin
05-20-2013, 6:53 AM
i was in tds a little bit ago.
Can any one tell me what happened to them? back in 2010 and 2011 they were killing it! they had the best selection the best everything! prices, parts even their 2A saturday was a hit! now it seems like they only a couple pistols and a few rifles.
did they get into legal trouble?

Wondering the same thing. The last three times I was there it was a ghost town. Wonder if they are sending most of their inventory to the new Chula Vista location(?).

DerekAztec
05-21-2013, 8:19 PM
Bought my firs lower there ar 15 Little over a year ago. Price is good service ok the first time. Went back the next month to buy a upper and a barrel, (had cash in hand 800$ to spend ) just asked a simple question what is a good barrel to do XYZ with and got the reply I can talk barrels all day with you another time but now I have things to do. He then proceeded to talk to the next person in line. Haven't Ben back since, il pay a little more for some one who knows what there selling.

mrc44
06-21-2013, 1:06 PM
I first visited sts back when they first opened and I was upset with the service. I had to give it another try. I have been going there a while mostly just for good conversation and a few parts. I will say that there are one or two guys that should find a new job but the rest of them I really like. Fun guys, one of them even wants to go hunting together. They are good guys especially Scott te owner and a few others. But some of their prices are high. Im sure if you told them and provided proof of the lower price tey would be willing to match the price. Everyone is different I guess. I have to say there is one or two I there that have no right to work in a gun store. I might try to apply there to help out on weekends and would love to make it a more pleasant place to go for all firearm needs.

There is a bad seed in every apple SBR and TDS have them as well, but that doesn't mean the whole shop is no good. I had a similar experience a few times at SBR, everyone gets treated differently and it is unfortunate. But I can speak very highly of TDS, just try to deal with the owner or his son. Really nice people

desertexplore
06-21-2013, 1:11 PM
MTG in Elk Grove treats me well every time I go in. River City Guns is also great except for "that one guy".

MPunderdog
07-27-2013, 8:01 AM

love blackrifle nothing but nice helpful guys that take their time with you, they don't act above and better then you and answer any question you have without a look of being annoyed

MPunderdog
07-27-2013, 8:07 AM
question, I know there are a lot of racist people everywhere, but do you think age, race have anything to do with their service, I mean I can understand a lot of us might be lookey-loo's but some of us go in there cash in hand wanting to buy some stuff!

mg24
10-07-2013, 8:11 PM
So wish I read these reviews before I just went through 3 weeks of no one knowing what was going on with a purchase I made and everyone was very nice and polite. Until the owner (Bill) came out and was a complete jerk & even called me a liar. I tried to explain the situation but all he wanted to do was slam me and insult me. I told him I'll never shop there again and he was the first gun store I'd ever had a problem with. He told me I was the first person who ever had an issue with his store. Well obviously this post proves him wrong.
This owner has serious issues and his staff can't keep track of simple stuff. I had good experiences with the staff for months up to this incident but after the owner does something like this people need to avoid STS!!

desertexplore
10-07-2013, 8:44 PM
Next time- MTG in Elk Grove.

GlockIPSEC
10-10-2013, 1:17 AM
STS will not get my business nor will i recommend them to anyone.

Walked into the quiet store, I was ready to drop about $1000 hoping to pick up ammo, pistol, and a holster.

Walked by 3 different employees without a word, they also avoided eye contact.

Thought to myself why waste my time in this store?. I can go down to Wild Sports (9396 Greenback Ln, 95662).
There I was warmly greeted and welcomed by knowledgeable staff, Gary, Jim I believe were the ones who helped me.
Needless to say guess where I spent the $1000.

PopcornPuppy
10-10-2013, 5:09 PM
MTG is great if you're a guy. If you're a girl, you're ignored unless you're actually buying something. Then they're forced to help you.

RMikeL
10-11-2013, 7:32 PM
Haven't been to STS yet, but I'm always looking for a new shop to visit. Scratch that one off the list.

pdq_wizzard
10-11-2013, 8:18 PM
Haven't been to STS yet, but I'm always looking for a new shop to visit. Scratch that one off the list.

You can't please everyone all the time. I would say check them out.

I have never had a problem with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4

audiophil2
10-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Here is my perspective. I have never done business with any of the shops mentioned in this thread. I am only giving my viewpoint as a gun dealer.

There are a few levels of mutual commitment between a buyer and seller.

Window shopper - no commitment between parties
waiting list/stock alert/call me when the gun comes in-no commitment between both parties
pre-paid list- buyer pays in advance and gets placed on a list. Seller honors the list. Seller is committed to getting that gun.
Purchase in stock item-buyer gets gun that is present after 10 day wait.

When the OP asked to be called when the gun came in the shop owner did call him. If he wanted to buy it he could have paid over the phone to lock in the gun. By making no commitment to buy other than a promise to show up the next day the gun was still available for sale. The dealer will always take a paying customer over a promise to pay customer if he wants to keep his business.

It seems unfair and the dealer should have told him to buy the gun over the phone. The practice of putting names on a board should be abolished as it clearly does not serve much purpose.

I get calls all day long. When I tell people a gun is out of stock and they ask to be called when it comes in I make it very clear that the only way they will get that gun from any dealer is to either find a dealer that has it in his possession or pre-order and pay in full in advance. I can get guns like Glocks all day long but if you want an FDE SCAR 17s at or below retail you have to pre-pay because no one has them.

A recent example is with someone that wanted to buy an HK MR556. He told me to call him when one came in. In the meantime I had 3 other guys pre-pay for the same gun. When I got my allotment a few weeks later I only got 2. Now customer #1 is still waiting for a call he will only get when distributors are begging me to buy HK 556s, customers 2 and 3 got their guns, and customer 4 is #1 on the list for my next allotment. Customer #1 will call in a few weeks asking if any HKs came in. I will tell him yes and they were sold to paying buyers. He will then realize he needs to pre-pay to get the gun but by that time he will be #5 or 6 on the list of pre-paid buyers.

This example happens with every popular gun from Springfield 1911s to Tavors, to PMR30s. I have guys on 1 year prepaid waits for special guns. They commit so I commit.

Silentarrow
10-11-2013, 11:48 PM
I wonder if any if you realize this is all by design....we've all completely played right into "their" hands. All of us are guilty. We've turned on each other. We've turned on businesses. Businesses have turned on us. We've turned on manufacturers. A house divided cannot stand. It's only going to get worse. I'm no longer buying or selling anything to anyone. Better start stacking cans of food, water, batteries, medicine etc folks. ****SABOUTTOHITTHEFAN.

desertexplore
10-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Huh? Good customer service is not an accident.

GlockIPSEC
10-15-2013, 11:04 PM
I wonder if any if you realize this is all by design....we've all completely played right into "their" hands. All of us are guilty. We've turned on each other. We've turned on businesses. Businesses have turned on us. We've turned on manufacturers. A house divided cannot stand. It's only going to get worse. I'm no longer buying or selling anything to anyone. Better start stacking cans of food, water, batteries, medicine etc folks. ****SABOUTTOHITTHEFAN.

:facepalm:

JunGun
11-28-2013, 2:50 AM
I've been into STS Guns in Folsom about 4 times now and only bought a Hope's pistol cleaning kit one time, the other 3 I took a look around mostly checking prices and handling some of the Rem700 rifles but I doubt I would buy any firearms from them. I guess the best time I had there was when I started asking the pretty blonde gal some questions about getting a AR smithed, she didn't know much but was really nice. I usually have better luck from my LEO buddies or friends who always have to many arms in their safes and need to make space even to much ammo, getting brand new P+ for free is always nice =D. Online for ammo if otherwise!

Syds Grandpa
11-29-2013, 9:06 PM
JunGun, So you always ask women advice on your weapons. I know this store, I sell to them. Every business has it's problems. These guys are good at what they do. I can send you to about twelve gun shops around the Sac area that are a lot worse off then these guys. This thread is a stupid little feeding frenzy on a good supplier of things that go bang.

robaroni
11-29-2013, 9:23 PM
Always had good experiences when I go into STS. They seem to be doing well. I figure if they don't give good service they won't stay in business.

GoatLovin
11-29-2013, 9:28 PM
I try to avoid the younger guys at STS... too much of a bro mentality. Their prices seem to be all over the place as well. $40 for a box of Federal .22 that I just paid $18 for from Cabela's on one hand, $570 IIRC for a Gen 4 G17 on the other.

I'll stick to Shooters Warehouse/TDS/J&G/SBR.

Mr. Beretta
11-29-2013, 9:39 PM
I know I'm a southern California boy but this past September when I was in Fair Oaks, I did business with Robby (owner) at Golden State Tactical. Straight forward, squared away professional.

Great service! I highly recommend him!

It's sad that I have yet to find a truly GOOD gun store in the Sac area...

SBR USED to be good, when they weren't firearms dealer. Once they moved to Rocklin they became incredibly arrogant. I NEVER received callbacks on guns I was interested in, and have been BANNED from posting on their Facebook page after I posted their prices for lowers (which were $400, stripped last time I was there). I love how they say they are the only Glock Blue Label dealer in Sac, when in reality they ARENT (Look it up on Glock's dealer locator yourself). Their distributor is, and all the other local shops can get Glock blue label at the same price. The sad thing... I've bought 4 guns there, and I'm a LEO. So much for being LEO friendly...

TDS is almost as bad. I've never bought a gun from them, but they just felt arrogant every time I've gone in there.

MSI Guns in Roseville gave me attitude IMMEDIATELY. I walked in, didn't plan on buying anything, but saw a gun in the "LEO ONLY" case. I asked to see it, and they asked if I was an LEO. I told them I was, and all was fine. Until the 20 year old behind the counter started talking about how he has to lock up his handgun whenever he comes and goes from the shop. When I asked him how he owns a handgun at 20, he said it was his dad's. We start discussing high cap mags, and he starts telling me what is "letter of the law" legal and what is not. At that point, I have already said I want to buy the gun, but I will try and get a letter from my dept, foregoing the waiting period. His reply "no agencies around here give letters." I told him he was wrong, and my dept does. At that point I was glad I got a letter because I didn't want to do business there anymore.

Cal-Tac in Roseville has been pretty cool so far whenever I've been in there. Just bought 2 Glocks from them.

Syds Grandpa
11-29-2013, 9:47 PM
Like any store STS marks up their product based on what they purchased it for. Stop and think what the ammo and gun market has been through this summer. This is not fair to STS. You could post a complaint thread on any gun store in the USA and it will look similar to this one. Problem is this is a small market and you are threatening some ones lively hood. This thread is irresponsible and a disgrace. GROW UP.

GoatLovin
11-30-2013, 12:39 PM
Like any store STS marks up their product based on what they purchased it for. Stop and think what the ammo and gun market has been through this summer. This is not fair to STS. You could post a complaint thread on any gun store in the USA and it will look similar to this one. Problem is this is a small market and you are threatening some ones lively hood. This thread is irresponsible and a disgrace. GROW UP.

They sold a rifle that the OP was on a waiting list for AFTER he told them he was driving there to pick it up. That's pretty ****ty, and deserves a negative review.

And calling the gun market small is pretty laughable.

Jester3
11-30-2013, 12:47 PM
I know I'm a southern California boy but this past September when I was in Fair Oaks, I did business with Robby (owner) at Golden State Tactical. Straight forward, squared away professional.

Great service! I highly recommend him!

Couldn't agree more. I have dealt with Robbie for years at different levels. True professional, treats you the old way, with respect, that I give in return.
Anyone asks me for an FFL, I send them to him.

David13
11-30-2013, 1:35 PM
Another vote for Robby at Golden State Tactical in Fair Oaks.
He is definitely an APlus seller. And ffl.
dc

74c5
11-30-2013, 1:41 PM
Another vote for Robby at Golden State Tactical in Fair Oaks.
He is definitely an APlus seller. And ffl.
dc

+1 on what David13 says. Hi David!

Robby has sent more than a small amount of paper to the State for me.
Be advised: limited staffing, closed Sundays and Wednesdays, read the instructions on the email you get when you use him for transfer.

Peter

Infidel_343
12-06-2013, 8:24 PM
I have had both good and bad experiences with STS. Recently they have been great and they only charge $15 to install sights on a pistol.

Ninask
12-06-2013, 9:27 PM
Thanks
I will avoid that business
there is NO excuse for that kind of assinine behaviour

Iorn_sight10
12-14-2013, 4:02 AM
I just did a ppt at sts. Not very impressed. I've been a sac black customer my whole career. I'll try it again just to be sure. They have a crappy attitude if you ask me. I won't beat a dead horse, so I guess it's just a hit or miss with them.

crf250x
12-14-2013, 9:29 PM
I visit the Sacramento area a few times a year and have stopped in STS several times. I've always found them to be knowledgeable and friendly. Sac Black Rifle is also good.

Just my 2 cents. I do agree they should have held the gun for you if they said they would.

bear1970
12-20-2013, 10:25 PM
STS is defiantly on the naughty list! Did a PPT there today 1hr15 min. Rude mall ninja started the process, kid thought he was some bad*****, and then the Owner told my buyer that he was paying to much according to a book value and showed my buyer a Remington 710 WTF. And the prices are 15-25% more than most shops. Stick to River City they Rock!

GG&M
12-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Everytime im in there im always standing around waiting for someone to help me. They make eye contact with me and then continue socializing in the back for another 5 minutes.

Loaded for bear
01-03-2014, 7:57 AM
I will stand by my fellow Calguner and NEVER shop there !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That was W-A-Y wrong of them to do that.

Hispanic_Hercules
01-03-2014, 12:24 PM
I personally love STS. It is actually one of my favorite gun stores and close to where I live. I have only had one issue there with an older white gentleman in his 40's, whom wore a cammo realtree style hat and had a full brown beard. I did ask him a few questions and he acted as if I was wasting his time so I walked off and talked to another employee. Other than him, I have never had a bad experience at STS. I am in there at least once a week and know everyone from the father to daughter and they all know my children and me on sight. In fact I was in there today and dros'd a mk III quickly with no issues whatsoever.

I purchase guns at SBR, Cal Tach, ,Sierra and a few others in the area on a monthly basis and all of them have their issues. However there are a list of stores I will not give my business too as well because of how I was treated. River city being one of them. In the early 2000's the owner Dan treated me like crap as he could because they were one of the only gun shops in Sac. Never went back there, Never will.

As for prices, yes on some things they may be expensive, but on other parts they are reasonable. I have stepped into many other gun stores recently whom were selling PMAGS at $50.00 each and CMMG lower parts kits for $125.00 each. They were not short as they had them by the case stacked everywhere, but their shelves were empty of guns and I understand they must pay the rent some how. Does it mean I stopped shopping there, no. I just didn't buy PMAGS or lower parts kits from them. But just like every other store they have a business to run and have rent to pay.

Any retail store is going to have some quirks, gun stores included in which someone is not going to like. Just personal preference I guess.

Just my 2cents.

JDay
01-03-2014, 1:28 PM
I've never had a problem there either. The staff is friendly and always asks if I need help with anything in a timely manner.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Drivedabizness
01-27-2014, 8:29 PM
Having been a "somebody" in the shooting sports there is one particular DBag at Sac Black Rifle that I have spoken to the owner about - and he is still there. So go figure. BTW - in other aspects SBR has been great to me. I've bought several rifles and a lot of stuff from them.
I bought ammo recently at STS and then happened to be in WalMart 10 minutes later for something else and found the same ammo for 20% less.
The guys I've spoken to at STS have always been cordial - and the owner is frequently there. I'd pull him aside and challenge him to make things right. If he's a good business man, he'll do it.

THBailey
01-31-2014, 6:04 AM
I like STS. They have a fair selection of used/consignment inventory that I like to browse through every now and then. Even bought a couple of guns from them. The staff has always seemed friendly enough, but then I wasn't searching for a positive social experience, I just wanted to see if they had gotten in a gun I couldn't live without.

Hispanic_Hercules
02-02-2014, 12:24 AM
I like STS. They have a fair selection of used/consignment inventory that I like to browse through every now and then. Even bought a couple of guns from them. The staff has always seemed friendly enough, but then I wasn't searching for a positive social experience, I just wanted to see if they had gotten in a gun I couldn't live without.

I agree in the last month I have picked up a Ruger Mark III hunter at a great price and I am going in this morning to sign the paperwork on a saiga 7.62x39 which is brand new on consignment for an unbelievable price. No complaints here.

LTC-J
02-02-2014, 6:37 AM
I've been in a few times and always been greeted nicely.

I usually am buying ammo/reloading stuff. I've also done their reload class once.

While I like them and their prices are not horrid for the stuff I'm buying, I'm looking for a good shop closer to Diamond Springs that might have reloading supplies. Any recommendations?

Jersey67
02-02-2014, 9:13 AM
Good guys and gal at MTG in Elk Grove. Check out their FB page.

SSOUNN
02-02-2014, 1:34 PM

I also agree.. BOB and Mike, good customer service, thumbs up to MTG..

ffemt
02-18-2014, 10:57 PM
I've been to STS Guns for ammo and an HK P2000sk over the past year and no complaints either. Nice guys, haven't been treated inferior like other local shops are known for.

Ray Donovan
03-15-2014, 12:15 AM

Bob @ MTG is solid. Got my G19 Gen 4 from him.....:D

PMDonnelly
03-19-2014, 2:10 PM
I've had good service at STS guns and have appreciated their honesty when dealing with me. Even though they didn't have a gun in stock, they didn't try to sell me something else and recommended that I continue to look for the gun that I had identified. I did purchase another two firearms from them, both excellent choices as well.

People feel compelled to rant when they receive bad service, so quite often it takes a bad experience for people to write reviews. If I took the advice of every review written, there would be no place to shop. Every person has had a bad experience somewhere. Some of the positively mentioned stores in this feed are some of the very places that I experienced bad service.

anniepoks
03-26-2014, 1:04 PM
welcome to calguns!

Sound&Style
04-04-2014, 10:44 PM
+1 on what David13 says. Hi David!

Robby has sent more than a small amount of paper to the State for me.
Be advised: limited staffing, closed Sundays and Wednesdays, read the instructions on the email you get when you use him for transfer.

Peter

Guess I should chime in here as I've had some interaction with both Robby and STS.

I've had a couple of items FFL'd through Robby at Golden State Tactical. In fact I have one in jail there right now. :cool: Robby is a real down to earth guy and is very knowledgeable if you have questions on anything gun related.

Regarding STS, I've only been in there once, but the staff seemed friendly enough. It did seem like their hand guns in stock were a little limited (maybe they were flying off the shelf?). But I didn't have any problems there. I didn't price ammo, I was mainly window shopping for hand guns at that time.

alanbleiweiss
05-05-2014, 1:50 AM
jumped in here after hearing OP's unfortunate experience. I've been buying from STS since I moved to Folsom in December. Never had a problem - and from the beginning it's been only a positive experience for me.

At this point I've bought so much from them and gotten a lot of really important guidance on purchase options that I feel like part of the family.

It's sad that there are times when individuals have problems like this - there's never an excuse for bad customer service. Clearly when it happens shops lose a customer and countless others who find out about it.

Personally, I highly recommend them based on my own experience though...

DeadWhiteGoose
05-05-2014, 2:40 AM
Customer service is tough. These LGS' became so overwhelmed in the rush of 2013 with new gun owners. The average gun store clerk is not sent to customer service training, seminars or meetings that most corporate jobs require. Most of these guys are good guys that just don't know how to communicate with the general public. I see it at almost every store I frequent which is just about every store listed in this thread so far. A lot of it is how you approach them, as well as who they might have just dealt with before you arrived. Although there's really no excuse for how the OP was treated, I generally have good experiences at all of the LGS' in the greater Sacramento area. I have spent a lot of time and money building a rapport with many of the local gun store guys but I'm a very personable guy that knows my stuff to an extent. I've been in customer service for the last 12 years and have often thought of opening my own store for this exact reason. I may not be the guru on firearm knowledge or have the money to open a business at this time, but I know how to treat a customer in a manner that brings them back again. If anyone is looking for someone with a customer service and corporate management background, I've seriously considered moving my career toward something I'm very passionate about. Guns that is.

omgwtfbbq
05-05-2014, 10:01 AM
+1 Sac Black Rifle and also TDS. They've always been friendly and honest with me.

Just remember not to wear jeans and a black t-shirt to Sac Black Rifle or all the other patrons with think you work there.

I was in there one time and a guy came up to me while I was waiting on the counter associate to bring my order from the back and asked if it was okay if he tried on an IWB holster. I politely told him that I didn't mind either way but that he might want to check with someone who actually works there first. haha.