PDA

View Full Version : Sling Swivel on M1A NM

Suvorov
09-11-2007, 10:44 PM
I am wanting to attach a sling swivel to my M1A so that I can mount a Harris type bipod. I really do not want to disassemble the rifle to do this. I have seen Uncle Mikes sling swivels for sale that are 1/2" wood screws that you just drill and then screw into the stock. My question is - is the stock material at the front of the stock think enough for this method to work, or do you recommend using a reinforced fastener?

Whitesmoke
09-13-2007, 2:21 PM
I wouldn't do that...the forearm is too weak for that style sling attachement. Plus the operating rod is right there...

Why can't you pull the stock off..install a sling mount that has a backing plate (reinforce with epoxy) and then reinstall? Pulling the stock off takes like 10 seconds......I know the NM is bedded...but removing it once is not going to hurt it.

ocabj
09-13-2007, 3:45 PM
Fulton Armory makes a front sling swivel with rail that will work with a Harris Bipod with a Quick Release adapter for Picatinny rails. It appears to be the best option for wood stocks.

If you want to run a standard front swivel stud, you'd want to do it on a McMillan fiberglass stock.

Suvorov
09-19-2007, 9:48 AM
Thanks for your input guys. I have installed the Fulton rail on my SOCOM, but wanted to go with a simple low profile swivel stud on my NM. I am a little hesitant about pulling the action out of its bedding, but I will probably go that route and reinforce the back of the swivel stud. The Fulton rail also would require me to pull the stock off so I wouldn't be gaining anything there.

So just out of curiosity, about how many times can you pull a bedding rifle out of its stock before you begin to negatively affect its fit?

30Cal
09-19-2007, 11:07 AM
Thanks for your input guys. I have installed the Fulton rail on my SOCOM, but wanted to go with a simple low profile swivel stud on my NM. I am a little hesitant about pulling the action out of its bedding, but I will probably go that route and reinforce the back of the swivel stud. The Fulton rail also would require me to pull the stock off so I wouldn't be gaining anything there.

So just out of curiosity, about how many times can you pull a bedding rifle out of its stock before you begin to negatively affect its fit?

Depends on how carefully the builder stoned the receiver legs smooth and rounded the back edges (SA Inc does neither) so they won't shave bedding as the receiver rotates in, how clean the metal and bedding surfaces and how carefully you pull it in and out.

glockman19
09-19-2007, 11:20 AM
The best way to do this is to install a QD stud then install teh Harris Bipod. It requires drilling a hole in the bottom of the stock. I decided to send it back to Springfield and have them do it. I FedExed it on a monday and got it back friday. They charged $45 and the rifle was still under factory lifetime waranty.

Suvorov
09-19-2007, 1:47 PM
The best way to do this is to install a QD stud then install teh Harris Bipod. It requires drilling a hole in the bottom of the stock.

That is exactly what I plan to do. I'm not keen on sending the rifle off, as this will get expensive with the shipping and the like. Plus, I wonder just how much care the techs as SAI will take when they remove the rifle from the bedding? Does installing a swivel stud void the warranty? :eek: