PDA

View Full Version : Tapco G2 trigger issue: occasional double?

M. Sage
09-11-2007, 10:34 PM
Anybody else had this? Just finished my NDS-3 and am having a bit of trouble. It only doubled a couple of times, a few others, the hammer followed the bolt forward, but without enough force to fire it. I could reproduce it by dry-firing, holding the trigger and working the action. Once in a while, the hammer would follow forward.

I took the hammer and disconnect out, swapped them with a single-hook kit I had sitting around. Didn't seem to fix it (dry-fire and rack test), so today I ground slightly the bottom of the disconnect where it sits on the trigger. Hopefully that's the fix.

Anybody else had this issue? Fixes? Thoughts?

AJAX22
09-11-2007, 10:44 PM
your problem is in the sear, it sounds like its not catching the hammer and holding it.

Did you install the spacer that keeps the sear from moving side to side? what condition is little sear spring in?

Tapco G2's have a sleve with a small round spacer which helps align the sear, Your problem can be caused by not installing this correctly (without spacer or sleve) or by accidentaly mixing up the tapco parts with the factory parts and getting a tapco trigger/factory sear or a factory trigger and tapco sear.

aditionally if the small sear spring is missing or damaged it can cause the same problem (tho usually to a lesser degree unless it is missing compleatly)

my rommy had the same problem when I put it back togeather without the sleve and spacer.

thedrickel
09-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Dremel the 2nd trigger hook slot so it's longer, I don't think the trigger is rotating forward far enough and the hammer is barely catch the disconnector.

simon_sw
09-12-2007, 1:06 PM
Hey M. Sage,

I donno if this is of any help, or maybe you have seen it before, but DC Industries has a link for trouble shooting with the G2 trigger group (single hook).

http://www.nodakspud.com/troubleshooting.htm

If this is something you already knew about, please disregard, just trying to throw any possible info your way.

M. Sage
09-12-2007, 7:19 PM
Hey M. Sage,

I donno if this is of any help, or maybe you have seen it before, but DC Industries has a link for trouble shooting with the G2 trigger group (single hook).

http://www.nodakspud.com/troubleshooting.htm

If this is something you already knew about, please disregard, just trying to throw any possible info your way.

Doh! RTFM!!!! :notworthy: I feel like such a noob now....

Nice catch, that almost describes it to a T, except that I've got a double-hook trigger. The hammer is absolutely following the bolt carrier forward. I'll disassemble this FCG again tomorrow morning, take the hammer to work and put a slight bevel on the hammer. Good news is that I've got two hammers and two disconnects to play with, both sets Tapco G2. :D

Now that I read that, it did seem like the bolt carrier was riding just high enough once in a while to cause that. Guess the easiest, cheapest fix is a few seconds on the bench grinder at work.

@ Ajax: I've got the sleeve in there, the trigger/sear itself seems to locate in the trigger hole in the receiver. It doesn't walk far, and that's coming from someone who use to be a machinist... The sear return spring is brand new, since it was included in my double-hook kit. It pushes the disconnect forward with a decent amount of force. The sleeve won't walk far enough in either direction to pull clear of any part of the trigger assembly.

@ thedrickel: The second cut seems long enough. The right-side hook catches on the notch from the factory before it catches on the one that got cut during assembly.

simon_sw
09-13-2007, 7:18 AM
Glad I could be of some help M. Sage. :)

When I was using the Tapco G2 kit (single hook), I had to grind the hammer for my install as well. And of course with grinding the hammer I was afraid of it not catching the disconnector leading to double taps or worse.

With the Tapco kit, I ended up polishing the face of the hammer(the little wing things the hooks catch on). Nothing serious, just a little polish compound to try and smooth it out.

dwestfall
09-14-2007, 2:24 PM
Here you go -- this worked perfectly for me, NDS3 and double-hook G2. GP knows his stuff!

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/notes/aktrigger/pageaktrigger.htm

M. Sage
09-14-2007, 7:23 PM
Woah. That's a great link. :eek: I love it!!!

I think that adjusting the slot for the hook did the trick. I hope. I'll try it this weekend. If not, I know I'll be able to get it working now for sure.

M. Sage
09-16-2007, 6:32 PM
Well, either grinding the disconnect so it would engage more worked, or making sure the right hook went through the receiver further worked. Either way, one of those two things. I burned 4 or 5 boxes today, zero malfunctions. :D