PDA

View Full Version : What's going on about pending bills (microstamping, lead)...

bwiese
09-11-2007, 9:16 PM
Ok guys,

What I'm hearing from various sources is that there's a whiff that we're not quite as active/engaged as last year )when we were fighting SB357 and Torrico's+CRPA's ammo delivery restrictions).

WE NEED TO STEP IT UP. GENE AND I HAVE PROVIDED A SAIGA FOR MOTIVATION! (see my other stickied post).

Here's the bottom line: we can readily beat the Brady types phoning/writing our messages against microstamping, against lead ammo bans.

BUT WE NEED TO GET ABOVE THE NOISE FLOOR TOO. Other competing interests are out there - animal lovers vs soccer players worried about kangaroo shoe bans (or something like that), as well as health care stuff.

So not only do we have to beat the Bradys, we gotta get in the Top Five list of issues of concern.

CALL OFTEN. Call all Gov offices. Turn off caller ID and/or Trade off cellphones with the wifey.

BE POLITE.

FAX OFTEN esp if you can from different numbers.

SINGLE-ISSUE CALLS OR FAXES. Don't mix messages - lead vs condors and microstamping are wholly different things.

AND KEEP DOING IT.

We can't flag or tire. This could, in theory, last all the way till mid-October (but likely won't).

Work for that free Saiga 308, if nothing else, if not for your friends, if not for your freedoms.

taloft
09-11-2007, 9:30 PM
Hi Bill,

When I called the Gov. office earlier(around 6:00 p.m.), the Mircostamp bill was #1 on the hot button list. The lead ban bill wasn't in the top five, you still had to select the "other" option to voice your opinion.

Can'thavenuthingood
09-11-2007, 9:40 PM
Just emailed Governor asking he VETO AB 1471

http://gov.ca.gov/interact

Everybody hop to it and do it.
Could be your last chance at anytime.

Edited to add:
I called Gov's Sac number (916-445-2841) around 9:54pm and AB 1471 was first on menu, press #2 to oppose.
Call all night long from different phones and press #2.
You don't have to talk to anyone, just dial.

Vick

Can'thavenuthingood
09-11-2007, 9:46 PM
CONTACT THE GOVERNOR

Governor's Office:
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633

District Offices:

Fresno Office
2550 Mariposa Mall #3013
Fresno, CA 93721
Phone: 559-445-5295
Fax: 559-445-5328

Los Angeles Office
300 South Spring Street
Suite 16701
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Phone: 213-897-0322
Fax: 213-897-0319

Riverside Office
3737 Main Street #201
Riverside, CA 92501
Phone: 951-680-6860
Fax: 951-680-6863

San Diego Office
1350 Front Street
Suite 6054
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: 619-525-4641
Fax: 619-525-4640

San Francisco Office
455 Golden Gate Avenue
Suite 14000
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415-703-2218
Fax: 415-703-2803

Washington D.C. Office
134 Hall of the States
444 North Capitol Street NW
Washington D.C. 20001
Phone: 202-624-5270
Fax: 202-624-5280

elenius
09-11-2007, 9:59 PM

Edited to add:
I called Gov's Sac number (916-445-2841) around 9:54pm and AB 1471 was first on menu, press #2 to oppose.
Call all night long and press #2.

Vick

How do you know they don't track the caller's number to make sure each phone number only gets one vote? It will look bad if they found out a lot of the votes were illegit. Even if only a small fraction of the "votes" are same-number-many-calls, it will cast doubt on all the rest of us.

I say let's do this fair and square.

Can'thavenuthingood
09-11-2007, 10:05 PM
We are playing fair.

We play more fair than they do.

I fixed it by suggesting we use different phones.

I'm certain Brady et al are all ensuring each person is making only one call then sending them to the showers.

When they stand before city councils and lie and the city councils disagrees with the proposals but pass an ordinance anyway, I'm thinking anything we do and can still sleep is fair play.

When the legislatures continue to bring an item to a floor vote until it passes or the clock runs out, I have no qualms about nagging the Governor to Veto.

Vick

veeklog
09-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Already sent an e-mail to the Govenor. we'll see what happens now.

pnkssbtz
09-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Just curious, what should you do when they ask for name and phone number?

elenius
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
We are playing fair.

We play more fair than they do.

I fixed it by suggesting we use different phones.

I'm certain Brady et al are all ensuring each person is making only one call then sending them to the showers.

When they stand before city councils and lie and the city councils disagrees with the proposals but pass an ordinance anyway, I'm thinking anything we do and can still sleep is fair play.

When the legislatures continue to bring an item to a floor vote until it passes or the clock runs out, I have no qualms about nagging the Governor to Veto.

Vick

I hear you, but where does one draw the line?

I'm sure some savvy individual could program a bot to send a lot of emails to the gov... Or use one of those automated phone spam systems where you get a recorded message read to you. Have one of those call them a few thousand times and hit the necessary numbers...

I hope the Brady bunch aren't reading this and getting ideas.

bwiese
09-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't think the offices are up to that tech sophistication yet. That would require IT/phone support + maybe custom programming. I don't think there's a budget item for that :)

You can block outgoing caller ID by dialling "*67" ('star', '6', '7') keys before dialling the office number.

The Brady folks don't have the numbers of folks on the ground we do nor the tech sophistication. Remember, they're small number of killjoys in Birkenstocks. We have the social & economic edge just because what we do is fun (shoots, BBQs) and valuable (protection of home, property and family) and have some expense to protect (our toys).

Beatone
09-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Just called and conveyed my opposition to AB1471. Hope we can beat this thing. CAll, call, call everyone.

hoffmang
09-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Keep calling...

-Gene

bwiese
09-11-2007, 11:13 PM
Yup, keep calling. All offices!

jtyoshi
09-11-2007, 11:16 PM
opposed.

mikehaas
09-12-2007, 6:09 AM
Ok guys,

What I'm hearing from various sources is that there's a whiff that we're not quite as active/engaged as last year )when we were fighting SB357 and Torrico's+CRPA's ammo delivery restrictions).
Hmm... there have been several CALNRA announcements that have not appeared on calguns.net. For example, alerts about AB 1471 going to the governor and the new Jack Scott video. Is the calguns CALIFORNIA_NRA_INFO user on vacation? I have been sending them out to the "forum army" list.

If anyone here would like to join the "forum army" and help distribute California NRA Alert info, let me know at:
http://nrawinningteam.com/cgi-bin/haasemailform.cgi
(You will receive forum-formatted emails that can be copy/pasted directly into forum posts. One simply takes that info and posts on any forum they are subscribed to.)

Last year, we saw hits coming in from MANY forums, this year, less.

Anyway, check http://calnra.com/legs.shtml anytime to find out where the bills are and experience appropriate outrage/joy.

Mike

WokMaster1
09-12-2007, 8:30 AM
We seem to have a lot of new members. Maybe they are not quite in tune with the rally call yet. Let's give them a warm welcome.

WAKE UP! THIS IS A CALL TO ARMS. WRITE A LETTER, CALL, FAX & E-MAIL THE GOVERNOR & TELL HIM TO VETO AB 1471.

mikehaas
09-12-2007, 9:14 AM
We seem to have a lot of new members. Maybe they are not quite in tune with the rally call yet. Let's give them a warm welcome.

WAKE UP! THIS IS A CALL TO ARMS. WRITE A LETTER, CALL, FAX & E-MAIL THE GOVERNOR & TELL HIM TO VETO AB 1471.
In all fairness, new members do not have the advantage of having taken the "NRA Magical Mystery Tour" that calgunners took in 2006. Over about an 8 month period, calguns was gradually provided a bit of a tour of the lay of the gun control/political land in California. One eventually learned more about
- who was really fighting the good fight in the state and who wasn't
- that much always takes place behind the scenes,
- better understanding of DOJ/legislature workings,
- how IMPORTANT it is to call, email, fax etc when asked to
- THE LAST DAY/NIGHT!
- etc.
I see Calgunners that were here then as now "college educated". :-)

But the new folks can learn, if they wish to.

Mike

WokMaster1
09-12-2007, 9:39 AM
In all fairness, new members do not have the advantage of having taken the "NRA Magical Mystery Tour" that calgunners took in 2006. Over about an 8 month period, calguns was gradually provided a bit of a tour of the lay of the gun control/political land in California. One eventually learned more about
- who was really fighting the good fight in the state and who wasn't
- that much always takes place behind the scenes,
- better understanding of DOJ/legislature workings,
- how IMPORTANT it is to call, email, fax etc when asked to
- THE LAST DAY/NIGHT!
- etc.
I see Calgunners that were here then as now "college educated". :-)

But the new folks can learn, if they wish to.

Mike

Who is the member here who was writing the whole history of the DOJ fiasco? Any update on that?

Personally, I take offense that the lawmakers are "stupid & daring" enough to pass this bill that could potentially put me in trouble with the law. Just the fact that a BG could go to a gun range, pick up my brass & "scatter" the brass on a crime scene & you know the rest.....

I don't think one needs to be "college educated" about the last year's events to be disturbed enough to do something about it.

gmcal
09-12-2007, 9:52 AM
New guy here.

I've already called and emailed the governors' office. My wife will do the same today. Emailed my dad the bills and contact info, he will contact the guvs' office today. Emailed my step-brother the bills and contact info but haven't been able to follow up with him, will keep trying. Passed along the bills and contact info to a few people at work who I know to be shooters/hunters. My sister-in-law hates democrats with a passion so I can probably get her to contact the guvs' office just to spite some dems.

I'm in it to win it!

BTW, thanks for the resources you guys provide.

Exiledviking
09-12-2007, 9:55 AM
Called and emailed.

bulgron
09-12-2007, 10:45 AM
My sister-in-law hates democrats with a passion so I can probably get her to contact the guvs' office just to spite some dems.

I hope she can get over that. We aren't going to fix the broken gun culture in this state unless we can win at least some Dems over to our side.

For best results, we really don't want to alienate people unless they're truly a lost cause. Certainly some Dems are a lost cause. But I've been a registered Dem for parts of my life, as has my dad, and we're both card-carrying NRA members.

So, please, where lost causes are concerned, the people we don't need to really bother with are the Brady Bunch's leadership and certain far-left members of the Dem party. These are the extremists who will never be swayed. Alienate them all you want. For everyone else, let's please not talk about "hating them with a passion" or trying to spite them or whatever.

EastBayRidge
09-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Emailed and called (cell and home).

AKman
09-12-2007, 11:15 AM

Edited to add:
Call all night long from different phones and press #2.

Vick

I have 20+ phone lines and am making the rounds. I doubt they are smart enough no notice that the numbers are nearly identical. I also have the ability to generate a nearly infinite number of e-mail accounts, so lots of different e-mails as well. While I doubt that numbers really matter, it did seem to work when people opposed to the comprehensive immigration bill shut down the congressional switchboard.

BaronW
09-12-2007, 11:51 AM
I keep getting a busy signal when trying to call. Heh.

Centurion_D
09-12-2007, 11:54 AM
Phoned in and voted for veto on AB1471. Also faxed in a letter to the govs office. It took a while but I finally got through.

elenius
09-12-2007, 11:56 AM
I keep getting a busy signal when trying to call. Heh.

I hope that's due to us and not the save-the-kangaroos crowd ;)

gmcal
09-12-2007, 12:55 PM
I hope she can get over that. We aren't going to fix the broken gun culture in this state unless we can win at least some Dems over to our side.

For best results, we really don't want to alienate people unless they're truly a lost cause. Certainly some Dems are a lost cause. But I've been a registered Dem for parts of my life, as has my dad, and we're both card-carrying NRA members.

So, please, where lost causes are concerned, the people we don't need to really bother with are the Brady Bunch's leadership and certain far-left members of the Dem party. These are the extremists who will never be swayed. Alienate them all you want. For everyone else, let's please not talk about "hating them with a passion" or trying to spite them or whatever.

I'm still registered as a democrat as is my wife, although they lost our support some time ago. My dad and step-brother are registered democrats but I'm not sure how they vote. They are active shooters and support gun rights. My sister-in-law is not a shooter or gun rights activist but I figure with her disgust with the democratic party in this state I can get her on our side and make her voice heard.

johnny_22
09-12-2007, 1:20 PM
Two calls from the work number (local and Sacramento) and three from home at lunch time. Will drop off the letter on the way back to work.

Lots of busy signals right now; busy redial feature really helps.

bulgron
09-12-2007, 2:48 PM
I'm still registered as a democrat as is my wife, although they lost our support some time ago. My dad and step-brother are registered democrats but I'm not sure how they vote. They are active shooters and support gun rights. My sister-in-law is not a shooter or gun rights activist but I figure with her disgust with the democratic party in this state I can get her on our side and make her voice heard.

I've been Declines to State for years, until recently when I registered Republican so that I can vote in the Republican primary. That said, I have a lot of interest in and sympathy for a lot of the things the Dems claim to be all about. Problem is, there's a world of difference between what the Dems say and what they do.

Same with the Republicans, for that matter.

Oddly enough, both the Dems and the Republicans are more or less honest when it comes to how they stand on RKBA, so I've decided to vote based on that issue alone for the next few elections or so.

Anyway, my point is that we should watch our rhetoric. RKBA should not be a divisive social issue. Plenty of people across the political spectrum understand why RKBA is important, so we should try not to alienate people as much as is possible.

That's all.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :)

carsonwales
09-12-2007, 2:59 PM
Called on 1471 3 times: Fax Line, Office Line, Cell

Called 3 other friends and told them to call on their cell and home lines later tonight.

Librarian
09-12-2007, 4:11 PM
Governor's email (http://gov.ca.gov/interact)now has AB1471 on the list of topics. "Firearms:Microstamping", alphabetically on the list after "Fire Issues" and before "First Lady".

AJAX22
09-12-2007, 5:39 PM
My head is getting fried, I've called at least 100 times in the last few hours, disabling caller ID seems to be working like a champ

chico.cm
09-12-2007, 9:54 PM
I had to freaking press "1" for English right off the bat.
Oh well, I'm calling again.