PDA

View Full Version : Handgun Purchase CDL question

mow
09-11-2007, 7:37 PM
OK so I know you need a valid CDL or ID card when you go to purchase a firearm, plus "proof of residence" and a HSC when getting a handgun.

What happens if your CDL has a PO Box listed instead of your primary residence.

If this IS a problem would a good work around be to apply for a ID card instead?

Also if this is in the wrong area please forgive me and yes I searched and couldn't find anything on the topic. :cool2:

blkA4alb
09-11-2007, 7:38 PM
As long as the address on the second form of residency matches the address that you live at, is on the DROS, and on the 4473 then you are good to go.

mow
09-11-2007, 7:41 PM
OK cool.

So as long as your address is on your Cable bill for instance, it won't be a problem that your CDL has a PO Box instead, as long as the address on the cable bill is the same address provided on the DROS and 4473? Is that about right?

blkA4alb
09-11-2007, 7:47 PM
OK cool.

So as long as your address is on your Cable bill for instance, it won't be a problem that your CDL has a PO Box instead, as long as the address on the cable bill is the same address provided on the DROS and 4473? Is that about right?

Sounds right to me.

Stormfeather
09-12-2007, 5:10 AM
Ive actually seen places that wont take a CDL with a "PO Box" as a address. The reason being that you cant physically "live" in a POB. Had to get my ID changed because of it. I can see both sides of it here, and it was still a PITA to get it all changed.

N6ATF
09-12-2007, 11:32 PM
In the same residency category but slightly OT to this thread...

I received this in an e-mail from

Brent George
Staff Services Analyst
California Department of Justice
Division of Law Enforcement
Bureau of Firearms
Training, Information, and Compliance Section

This is in response to your recent correspondence to the Bureau of Firearms, regarding secondary proof of residency. The second form of proof of residency does not have to be a picture ID, as long as you have a valid California Driver's License (CDL). However, any government issued document submitted as proof of residency must be a license, registration, certification, or permit, with an issue date and expiration date. It is therefore generally understood that a current and valid exposed firearm permit showing your current address would be acceptable.

tenpercentfirearms
09-13-2007, 4:49 AM
For handguns, the CCW is king! It satisfies two requirements: proof of residency and HSC exemption. I love guys with CCWs who want to buy handguns. (and in Kern County, there are quite a few of them! :D)

If a dealer wants you to go get a new DL because you have a PO Box on your license, go to a new dealer. There is no federal or state requirement for that and that is just plain stupid. Worst case scenario, bring in a utility bill for the federal requirement on long gun matches.