PDA

View Full Version : Call the Gov, win a Saiga of Significance! (this isn't a raffle)

bwiese
09-11-2007, 11:33 AM
Folks, it's time to pull out all the stops. We need more gunnie input dammit!.

(PLEASE DO NOT P.M. ME HERE, AS MY BOX WILL OVERFLOW. IF ANYONE OTHER THAN A CALGUNS MODERATOR P.M.s ME HERE REGARDING THIS ACTIVISM PROMOTION, THEY'RE OUTTA THE CONTEST. ALL RELEVANT INFORMATION IS HERE.)

What's Up For Grabs & Why

One of the famous San Jose Saigas, in 308, is up for grabs for the Calgunner who sends me documentation (phone bill(s) info + photocopies of mailed letters+stamped envelopes) showing he/she (+ his family) the most phone + fax calls + snail mails to the Governor's office. (Rules & details below.)

What You Need To Do

Call the Governor's various offices as often as possible. Mail what you've faxed, email what you've faxed/snail-mailed.

PLEASE DO THIS EARLY AND OFTEN. DON'T STOP UNTIL WE KNOW THE FINAL RESULT - YOU'LL KNOW FROM THE CALNRA WEBSITE AND/OR HERE.

ALSO, BE FRIENDLY AND POLITE WHEN YOU CALL! COMPOSE YOURSELF BEFORE DIALLING. WE ARE NOT REDNECKS.

See http://www.calnra.com - specific issues/talking points for helpful guidance are here:

AB1471: Microstamping: http://www.calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2007&summary=ab1471

AB821: Lead Ammo Ban: http://www.calnra.com/legs.shtml?year=2007&summary=ab821

PLEASE REQUEST VETOS. In California, the Governor must actively veto legislation sent to him within 30 days to prevent it from becoming law. If he ignores the bill, it becomes law by default at the end of that period.

Here's the variety of ways to contact the governor:
Governor's email is at: http://www.govmail.ca.gov

------------------------------------------------------------
Mailing address:
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger
State Capitol Building
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-445-2841
Fax: 916-445-4633

Fresno Office
2550 Mariposa Mall #3013
Fresno, CA 93721
Phone: 559-445-5295
Fax: 559-445-5328

Los Angeles Office
300 South Spring Street
Suite 16701
Los Angeles, CA 90013
Phone: 213-897-0322
Fax: 213-897-0319

Riverside Office
3737 Main Street #201
Riverside, CA 92501
Phone: 951-680-6860
Fax: 951-680-6863

San Diego Office
1350 Front Street
Suite 6054
San Diego, CA 92101
Phone: 619-525-4641
Fax: 619-525-4640

San Francisco Office
455 Golden Gate Avenue
Suite 14000
San Francisco, CA 94102
Phone: 415-703-2218
Fax: 415-703-2803
------------------------------------------------------------

What's Up For Grabs

The Saiga is a 308 Saiga by RAAC. It was seized from a good guy going thru a bad divorce with the usual BS handwaving. AW charges were filed and not dropped for over a year until Santa Clara DAs belatedly realized they didn't know what the hell was or wasn't an AW. At the end, it was released for sale to a local FFL dealer as the individual in question has a short-term court prohibition on firearms due to some trivialities. (Let's not talk about the individual further, there are ongoing matters he's pursuing.) Gene Hoffman and I bought both his Saigas and are using them for fundraising/motivation; we haven't DROSed them to ourselves to avoid giving the state more money, and have left the rifles at the bay area FFL. (The other Saiga will be used for another fundraising event).

The Saiga 308 rifle here is in near-new condition. Gene Hoffman took a look and some pix.

This is the RAAC Saiga 308: http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/bwiese/saiga308.jpg

If you are outside the Bay Area and you win you'll need to have this shipped to your FFL. I will pay the postage.

All you have to do is (1) win by doing the work, documented (2) pay for postage to ship me phone bill copies (3) not be a prohibited person (4) pay the DROS fees at the current FFL or your local FFL.

Nothing happens until October 20th. This should allow sufficient time for phone bills to be printed and mailed to you, paid, etc. Any mailings to me after Oct. 20th may or may not be considered depending on my mood, postmark, etc. On Oct 26th I should have everything ready to 'process' and determine the winner. (These dates could be moved up a bit if governor puts off action until very very last minute.)

The Rules & Fine Print - READ!

Offer only valid to folks who can legally purchase a firearm in CA. If you win and are not eligible, you don't get the gun nor it's value in trade. I'll make arrangments for with FFLs for it to go down to the next guy down the list.

Offer only to Calguns members - if you see this and are not, join Calguns!

Offer null & void if Gov's veto/signature on all open gun bills occurs thru this Wednesday 9/12.

Offer to you null & void if I don't get your submission.

Sometime in early to mid-October, you will read on Calguns where to mail your submissions.

You must supply your name/address, Calguns user ID, email and phone number so I can contact you. (Hey, if you win, the rifle has to find you somehow!)

Actual phone bills showing calls to Gov's office must have phone/fax #s highlighted/marked, and a total tally count of calls/faxes to the governor written on the front of each phone bill. If you have phone #s you don't wish to reveal, use black marker to redact. However I will hold your personal info in great confidence and I will shred all entries after everything's done. Fax confirmation sheets in lieu of entries on a phone bill will be regarded as evidence of contact and bumping your tally.

If I find no tally, or a miscounted tally, or something that just "doesn't smell right", I alone reserve the right to disqualify the entry, period.

Include copies of stamped envelopes addressed to a Governor's office to get credit for mailing letter.

A cover note should tote up all your phone bills' tallies (if you have multiple phone bills) for calls/faxes plus all the snail mails you've sent.

I reserve the right to cancel the contest if I don't get sufficient entries of sufficient volumes. Really, we Calgunners should be able to pull off hundreds if not thousands of entries with folks making multiple dozens (or more!) of calls and letters. If I see only, say, a hundred entries and folks only making a couple of calls, I'm pulling the contest. I really don't know the threshold yet, but this offer is for motivation, and I don't consider numbers in that realm motivated behavior.

If I'm flooded with mail (O Joy!) it could perhaps take me several days to determine the winner.

In the case of a winning tie between multiple entries, I will select randomly amongst NRA members. The tied 'pre-winners' will be contacted for evidence of NRA membership status and must respond within one week. Losers will just have to satisfy themselves they were great activists and that they should join NRA.

The value of a Saiga 308 rifle is the total amount concerned here. You agree you have no recourse to damages if you don't win, and agree I am final arbiter of who wins, "just because".

All state and Federal laws will be obeyed.

Anyone PM'ing me on Calguns about this may lose his chance. Don't want my PM mailbox to fill up and get unmanageable. All the info you need now is here. Start calling!

I reserve the right to move the dates later if Governor's resolution on gun bills is way late - phone bills may take another billing cycle, and I want everyone to be included as much as possible.

Rules above slightly changeable, at my discretion, to make the contest most effective/fair and generate the most activity.

Rifle is "nice" in great shape but is considered 'used'. No warranty is expressed/implied on operation of the rifle. For all I know you may be winning a pig in a poke, but the orig owner assured me it shoots well and Gene Hoffman has given it a visual once over.

I'm sorry I can't do more immediate selection of winner, but things could get drawn out and phone billing cycles take time.

So start dialling and mailing to the governor NOW, and remember to save your documents for entry submission in October! (You will hear on Calguns how to

I expect everyone to be emailing anyways, this contest is to promote other methods of communication that take a bit more effort and that may shake the tree!

megavolt121
09-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Bill, This is awesome! One small note, for those of us with fax machines that we cannot get a copy of the phone bill(ie work, shared, Kinko's), could a copy of the Fax Confirmation Sent report suffice?

bwiese
09-11-2007, 12:02 PM
Bill, This is awesome! One small note, for those of us with fax machines that we cannot get a copy of the phone bill(ie work, shared, Kinko's), could a copy of the Fax Confirmation Sent report suffice?

Fair deal. Will add to rules...

Fjold
09-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Excellent Bill,

I've already emailed the Governor on both issues but it's a great idea.

rkt88edmo
09-12-2007, 10:19 AM

Kestryll
09-20-2007, 9:38 AM
Don't forget this is here everyone!

Make those calls and send those mails and letters!