PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Concept for Glock Safety

ts
09-11-2007, 1:09 AM
http://siderlock.com/eng/siderlock.html

It is innovative. But the way I see it - if your finger is in the trigger guard - the safety should already be off. I wouldn't buy it - neat idea though.

Anyone have one of these? If so what do you think?

AJAX22
09-11-2007, 6:37 AM
I'm not a big fan of glock safety devices

holsters exist for a reason... why add one more thing to your gun that will prevent it from going bang?

DrjonesUSA
09-11-2007, 7:20 AM

It is innovative. But the way I see it - if your finger is in the trigger guard - the safety should already be off. I wouldn't buy it - neat idea though.

Seems like a great way to get yourself killed.

No way are you going to remember or be physically able to push a tiny little button while under stress unless you are quite highly trained - fine motor functions are among the first to disappear when under stress.

virulosity
09-11-2007, 7:25 AM
What is the point of having an extra safety that is immediately bypassed as soon as it is in the hands of a DEA agent?

Wulf
09-11-2007, 7:55 AM
I'd only consider a glock safety if I was open carrying without a retention holster.

Jicko
09-11-2007, 8:08 AM

Why don't you just keep your Glock "stock"... rather than going crazy on these after-market items? What is on the Glock when it came to you is proven stuff...... once you start messing with it, YMMV!

DrjonesUSA
09-11-2007, 8:23 AM
Why don't you just keep your Glock "stock"... rather than going crazy on these after-market items? What is on the Glock when it came to you is proven stuff...... once you start messing with it, YMMV!

I agree.

No offense, ts, but you seem a bit new to guns.

If you study the teachings of all the true greats - Jeff Cooper, etc. - you will see that they all subscribe to the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid. (Not implying you are stupid, ts, just the way it's said. ;) )

I can understand your fascination with the gadgets and all, but honestly, your time and money would be better spent studying technique, dry firing practice, live fire at the range, etc.

Nice avatar, BTW.....he's a great actor.

Glock22Fan
09-11-2007, 9:00 AM
try one of these: http://www.ajaxgrips.com/ajax/saftblok

There's a lot of heated discussion on these. Lots of people say that your Glock should be holstered, then you don't need a safety. However, there have been shootings where foreign objects (such as draw string toggles) have accidently got inside the trigger guard as the gun was holstered, causing the gun to fire when the guy removed his windbreaker.

Personally, I feel more comfortable with one of these on my Glock when holstered. (if you don't, then please keep your flames to yourself - I've seen the arguments and that's still my choice.). I also feel comfortable carrying my 1911 in condition 1 (locked and cocked).

The saf-t-blok is easily flicked out WITHOUT putting your finger inside the trigger guard. In fact, your finger is behind the trigger at that point. I've been using one for ten years, and fail to see how it could (another criticism often leveled by people who haven't used them) jam in place.

supersonic
09-11-2007, 9:27 AM
I agree w/ most of the other guys on here, but some of my clients WANT a "safety" installed on their Glock(s). After researching the market, I found what was (IMHO) the "best of the bunch" (fit/functionality/practicality). So I ordered one (+the tools it takes to install it) and "guinea-pigged" my G19. on the exterior, the lever is similar to a 1911-style safety. So far, I've done about a dozen others (on different models), and have had nothing but positive feedback.
http://www.cominolli.com/images/Glock_Safety_Page2.pdf
S.S.:43:

Q
09-11-2007, 11:24 AM

:iagree: There's alot of crap out there for glocks like the sks. Save your money for another glock:D

glockman19
09-11-2007, 11:53 AM
My trigger finger is the primary safety on all of my guns.

supersonic
09-11-2007, 1:13 PM
My trigger finger is the primary safety on all of my guns.

If You are HOLDING a GLOCK, this statement is essentially true. Pretty much sums it all up. MY Cominolli- equipped G19 functions BEAUTIFULLY, but to tell you the truth- 95 out of 100 times if you were to remove my 19 out from it's "nest": you'd find the safety disengaged.
S.S.:43:

Fjold
09-11-2007, 1:18 PM
One of the few good things about the Glock is that it's ambidextrous. How do you shoot that weak hand?

ts
09-11-2007, 1:37 PM
I agree.

No offense, ts, but you seem a bit new to guns.

If you study the teachings of all the true greats - Jeff Cooper, etc. - you will see that they all subscribe to the KISS principle - Keep It Simple, Stupid. (Not implying you are stupid, ts, just the way it's said. ;) )

I can understand your fascination with the gadgets and all, but honestly, your time and money would be better spent studying technique, dry firing practice, live fire at the range, etc.

Nice avatar, BTW.....he's a great actor.

I would never buy that. My Glock is stock - for the most part. I just came across this and I thought it was an interesting idea and wanted to see what you guys though of it. It seems like a recipe for trouble to me. I stated I would never buy it in the first post.:D

dragonbait1a
09-11-2007, 8:00 PM
None of these are an option

ALL of the "Glock safety" devices are right hand only. I'd consider the Safety Blok or Connolli Saftey if I could use them lefthanded.

That is why I bought a Mossberg rather then a Remington, The crossbolt safety is awkward lefthanded.

RGB

Soundman
09-11-2007, 9:52 PM
That's part of the reason I first looked into my XD because it has the grip safety as well as the trigger safety.

Teletiger7
09-11-2007, 10:10 PM
The reason for buying Glock in the first place is so you don't have to worry about needing to turn off active safeties that would increase your draw time and complicate things. Remember Murphy's law and K.I.S.S.