PDA

View Full Version : What to pick? Ruger p95 or S&W sigma . Or just go all out and get the glock

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-24-2013, 7:10 PM
New to cal guns, first post.. I've been researching a couple of handguns that catch my interest (looks and price,reliability) for my first handgun I'm counting down the days until I'm 21. The guns that I have been looking at are a ruger p95 , smith and wesson sigma 40 , or just thinking of going straight for the glock 22 from all the good feedback I hear about them but also I wanted something different from a glock. Much input would be greatly appreciated from experienced shooters and before anything yes I have handled guns before thanks in advance

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-24-2013, 7:15 PM
Also I'am awaiting my ca guard card any day I will be a armed security guard. So anything I get will be carried on the job.. Thanks again

Mister BLASTEE
01-24-2013, 7:31 PM
Get the Glock and never look back.

Vacaville
01-24-2013, 7:33 PM
Glock > Ruger P95 > S&W Sigma

dave3223
01-24-2013, 7:40 PM
As stated above, save up enough money and get the Glock. The Ruger is a reliable gun, but much heavier than the Glock and Sigma. The Sigma is based somewhat off of the Glock design and cheaper, but not a Glock.

WASR10
01-24-2013, 7:41 PM
Glock > Ruger P95 > S&W Sigma

+1 to this. P-Series are fine pistols, but I would choose a Glock over any of them.

bkoyle
01-24-2013, 7:42 PM
Another vote for the Glock. I love mine.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-24-2013, 7:44 PM
What's the average price for a glock after tax and dros?

Mister BLASTEE
01-24-2013, 8:08 PM
About $600. But it's totally worth it. You may also find some good deals here in the classifieds for around $400-$500

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-24-2013, 8:15 PM
Thanks guys I appreciate it

vector16
01-24-2013, 10:20 PM
You may not find what you are looking for at all at this point. All the stores around me have been totally empty as far as handguns go. I have seen the Springfield XD though. That is also a very reliable gun. I have had all these guns that have been mentioned. I will brea it down for you.

Glock: I own 2 of them, a 17 and a 21. Both of them are very easy to take apart and clean. They are both very acurate and made with quality in mind. The after market parts for the Glock are very easy to come by and very reasonably prices. Extra mags for the glock are $25 each. I have 5 mags for each of my glocks. The grip on glocks is something that you will have to get used to. They are square and at a very wierd angle. the trigger is not that great either but they do have a great and short reset for fast follow up shots. This was the desidind factor for me above the M&P. Cost: plan on spending about $600-$650 OTD

P95: Very good gun. You can hit a target at 100yards with the p95 the sites are great and easy to see. The Ruger has ALL of its parts made in the USA, they have an excellent warranty with a fantastic customer service department. This is great for your first pistol and its very afforable too. Mags are more expensive at around $40 each. Cost $400-$450 OTD

Sigma: This is one of my favorite guns ever. I abused the heck out of mine ane it just kept ticking. I was able to feed anything thru it. never stove piped, FTF or FTE. if you want a gun that you can work on alter, learn how to do some basic smithing on and still have a very accurate and reliable gun than the Sigma is the gun for you. You can deal with the standard 14lb trigger or you can do some very simple mods and bring it down to 4lbs. There are lots of YouTube vids on how to do trigger jobs on the Sigma. Extra mag are kind of pricy though. they run about $47 to $55. The reset trigger reset sucks. But I am able to hit a fly in the eye at 25 yards with a Sigma and that is a heck of alot better than I am with my Glocks or my Ruger or any other pistol I own. Cost: $300 to $400. I paid $400 OTD.

Springfield XD: very reliable gun and very acurate. They are better looking than any of the above mentioned. They take full advantage of the sight radius and are used in compitition all over the world. The stock trigger is lighter than a sigma but has the same reset. You can buy kits to make the reset very short and take the pre travel ond over travel away completely they are very difficult to take apart and clean when you go beyond the field strip. you will almost need an extra pair of hands. Extra mags ar $40 each. Cost $450 to $500 OTD

You may also want to look at the Rock Island 1911. These guns are solid and a great value for the GI model. They are standard 1911s and the 1911 is one of the only guns with more aftermarket parts than the glock. They are made from the same plans and equipment as the Colt except they are not made here and they have a matte finish. The warranty is lifetime and they have graet customer service. I planned on getting one myself last sept. but I got a great deal on my Glock 21 FS that I just could not pass up. If Diane Finstien bill passes you have nothing to worry about they are 7-8 round mags. Extra mags are $15-$35 depending on the brands that you choose. they have many different models to choose from but the GI is the cheapest Cost: $400 to $500 OTD

orangeusa
01-24-2013, 10:28 PM
1. Don't cheapout and get the lowest price gun. They last and last.
2. Used guns are a great buy.
3. I very seldom dislike a firearm, but the Sigma has the WORST trigger I've EVER felt. It's abysmal. Horrid. Inexcusable.

You are comparing 2 strikers vs. a DA/SA gun. They are very different in how the controls work.

But man, buy a P95 or it's older brother the P89 and buy the Glock. :)

vector16
01-25-2013, 7:43 AM
3. I very seldom dislike a firearm, but the Sigma has the WORST trigger I've EVER felt. It's abysmal. Horrid. Inexcusable.

Do not buy a used gun as your first gun. You do not know enough about them to look at them and tell if there is anything wrong. I made the mistake as buying use as my second and boy oh boy did I get burned.

The Trigger on the Sigma is only bad if you are coming off a Glock. The thing about Glock is after you have fired a Glock and gotten used to a Glock it will feel like there is something wrong with all of your other guns. Nothing will feel right if you get used to a Glock first. Just a warning. Its great for glock but its not no great for you.

You also may want to look at a S&W M&P9 or 40. mThey are both in the price range that you want to be in. about $500. They are also great guns and they are Glocks biggest competitor.

db42
01-25-2013, 8:24 AM
You picked the wrong Ruger my friend.
SR9 - just do it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/jlariosa/Arsenal/SR9-1.jpg

Reliable, sturdy, and (unlike a Glock) it ejects empty mags with extreme prejudice. They don't drop free, they shoot out.

Retails around $425 plus dros and tax.
A Glock retails around $560 plus dros and tax.

SR9 comes with an adjustable backstrap (something Glock will make you pay extra for - assuming you can get a GEN4 to begin with), better sight lines, and a much more ergonomic grip.

Note. the one pictured isn't mine (mine is the black version), but this is a good pic of it.

vector16
01-25-2013, 8:52 AM
This guy has never held a Glock in his life. judging by the statement of "(unlike a Glock) it ejects empty mags with extreme prejudice".

I have never fired a Glock where the empty casing has fallen free. I have shot every glock that is legal on the market. The shells do not drop free.

Why are you trying to mislead this kid? He needs a reliable handgun that will serve him well under and condition. The ones he has thought about are great choices and they will not break the bank till he gets paid.

The four fireams I had mentioned to you was not to compare them directly to each other. They were to compare them to the kind of weapond you are looking for, Reliable. While true the SA/DA 1911 is a whole other animal than the strker fire Glock, XD or Sigma, it is still one of the most widely used gun models of all time.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the input guys this information is highly appreciated, as to the m&p my cousin owns the m&p 40 and that was the first full size handgun I shot I like the 40cal hence having the glock 22 and sigma 40 as options the reason why I started looking at the ruger p95 was first the price then all the reviews I've read and looked up on YouTube seemed like a gun to consider as one of my options, also 9mm is pretty cheap. As to availability I have two turner's pretty close and ammo bros and last but not least there is also a bass pro shop 15 mins away from we're i live so I'm hoping when I turn 21 one of these stores will have my options in stock to go and get the feel of them in my hand.. Again thanks guys

PM720
01-25-2013, 12:35 PM
This guy has never held a Glock in his life. judging by the statement of "(unlike a Glock) it ejects empty mags with extreme prejudice".

I have never fired a Glock where the empty casing has fallen free. I have shot every glock that is legal on the market. The shells do not drop free.

I am not sure what you are saying here. I own 5 Glocks and over 100 mags total and they all drop free. I have never had to manually pull an empty magazine out of ANY of my Glocks. :confused:

Scott

vector16
01-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Orange Turners is prettey low on stock, thats my store. The Bass pro is the store you do not want to buy at. The prices for the pistols is the same as what the manf'r wants. Most stores will have some discount for you but not BPS esspecially the one in Rancho. The one in Manteca is a little bit better but not much and I know you are not going to drive 400 miles, twice to go up there. There are a lot of shops in Fontana and Rialto that have good prices for the items you are looking for. Go to them first. You can put down some money on the gun you want now and then finish paying on your b-day and that is when they will do the DROS.

ElDub1950
01-25-2013, 12:57 PM
In your price range, throw your criteria for "looks" out the window.

IMHO, Glock exceeds your other choices in reliability.

Note that you can often find Glock police trade-ins for G22s for about $400.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 1:14 PM
That's we're I'am at I live in Fontana. I went to the turners in Ontario/Rancho in November and I asked one of the guys with a white shirt (guessing a manager) if he'd help me out I wanted to get a feel for a couple guns since I was gana turn 21 in a couple months(this being in Nov.) and he just straight up said no didn't even ask me if I was interested in looking at a rifle or shotgun just no and that was that I ignored him and looked at there inventory thru glass luckily a employee wade came along and had a good conversation with me about certain handguns even though I wasn't allowed to touch them, the point of this being if they wouldn't even let me touch one I don't think they'll let me do a partial pay for one.. Yeah bass pro is a big no no but might be a place were I could go and get a feel for it when I turn 21.. Do most places carry police trade -ins??

ElDub1950
01-25-2013, 1:41 PM
Most gun stores as so busy they have a hard time handling all the customers that a waving cash at them, so don't be too hard on them for not helping you although his response was pretty rude.

Seems that around here there are only a couple of places that randomly get in police trade-ins. You just have to ask around and keep checking for them when you are ready to buy.

vector16
01-25-2013, 2:02 PM
I am not sure what you are saying here. I own 5 Glocks and over 100 mags total and they all drop free. I have never had to manually pull an empty magazine out of ANY of my Glocks. :confused:

Scott

Sorry about that, i thought he was refering to the empty casing after the gun fires, the empty casing shoots right over your head. I just misread the post. The mag drops free. With the ruger, the mag does not shoot out of the frame and make a giant hole in the ground benieth.

vector16
01-25-2013, 2:10 PM
That's we're I'am at I live in Fontana. I went to the turners in Ontario/Rancho in November and I asked one of the guys with a white shirt (guessing a manager) if he'd help me out I wanted to get a feel for a couple guns since I was gana turn 21 in a couple months(this being in Nov.) and he just straight up said no didn't even ask me if I was interested in looking at a rifle or shotgun just no and that was that I ignored him and looked at there inventory thru glass luckily a employee wade came along and had a good conversation with me about certain handguns even though I wasn't allowed to touch them, the point of this being if they wouldn't even let me touch one I don't think they'll let me do a partial pay for one.. Yeah bass pro is a big no no but might be a place were I could go and get a feel for it when I turn 21.. Do most places carry police trade -ins??

You will not be able to get a police trade in. Most of those go to the Orange station for sale. I would not even bother with a police trade anyway. They have thousands of rounds put thru them.

FMFdevildoc
01-25-2013, 2:32 PM
Don't bother with Glock haters. If the incompetent, high functioning retard Iraqi police never killed a Glock? That was something that sold me on the quality / reliability forever. I was "neutral" neither love nor hate Glocks, until that deployment. Now, I own a G22 and I would trust my life & my loved one's safety with that piece.

A GOOD (ref: good) 1911 is always a no-fail duty pistol.

Finally - I owned a Ruger P89 and I disliked the pistol. Fit & finish, reliability were average at best. Not the best I've owned.

When I look at the pistols I've currently or previously owned, I ask myself this: "Would I feel good carrying this on deployment to the Middle East?"

The following got resounding "yes"
- Glock 22
- Para Ordnance P14-45 1911 (older model)
- Springfield USGI 1911
- Sig Sauer 226

WOULD NOT like to rely upon them overseas:
- Ruger P89
- Taurus PT92 (Beretta Fs92 mock)
- Beretta 92... LOL!!!
- My revolvers (for obvious rationale)

vector16
01-25-2013, 2:44 PM
Don't bother with Glock haters.

I sure hope that was not directed at me. If you read my first post i had said that I own 2 of them, G17 and G21. I would not even mess around with a .40 cal if I am spending over $500.

The 9mm is good because the target ammo is cheap and if you get the right round like the 147 gr JHP +p you can easily drop almost anything. I dropped a 130 lb deer with it last season.

The .45 cal is fantasic. its the classic all American round that can drop anyone. evem if you have 230gr Tula's. For PD I have mine loaded with 185gr JHP +p. If an intruder come into my home I can shoot them in the foot and stop their heart beat.

ElDub1950
01-25-2013, 2:47 PM
If the incompetent, high functioning retard Iraqi police never killed a Glock?

?? I'm trying to figure out what the heck that means!

vector16
01-25-2013, 2:56 PM
?? I'm trying to figure out what the heck that means!

Thyat means if the RETARDED IRAQI POLICE never made a GLOCK not work than they are good guns by him. If you have ever had the plessure of seeing a middle eastener try and use a pistol, its quite a site. They do not know what to do with themselves. They are used to only using a 1 shot RPG or IEDs

socal44
01-25-2013, 3:26 PM
You picked the wrong Ruger my friend.
SR9 - just do it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v179/jlariosa/Arsenal/SR9-1.jpg

Reliable, sturdy, and (unlike a Glock) it ejects empty mags with extreme prejudice. They don't drop free, they shoot out.

Retails around $425 plus dros and tax.
A Glock retails around $560 plus dros and tax.

SR9 comes with an adjustable backstrap (something Glock will make you pay extra for - assuming you can get a GEN4 to begin with), better sight lines, and a much more ergonomic grip.

Note. the one pictured isn't mine (mine is the black version), but this is a good pic of it.

I agree. My SR9 is a great gun, never a hiccup.
What I find funny is getting a Glock is considered "going all out":):confused: You're paying too much attention to the interwebs son.

vector16
01-25-2013, 3:48 PM
Absolutley.
If you can afford it go with a CZ, Colt, Browning, HK, Kimber, Les Bear, Dan Wesson, Sig or Walther. Any of these firearms are by far better than Glock ever could be. BUT, you will PAY for it. My next gun is going to be a Kimber Custom II in .45 1911. I have thought long and hard about it and I will have the $1500 I need to purchase it from turners. The extra mags are $20 so I think I'll get 10 of them.

But in all reality, Don't really listen to some of these guys,. Glock is not the Holy Grail of firearms. The are nice for the money and the are simple to use and clean and they can take aliot of abuse. But so can the other ones we have mentioned before. The Sigma can take alot and still be a great gun for you to have as your first gun. You can put some work into it, not break the bank and have a reliable gun for years and years to come. No one will really want to steal it from you either.
Most of us have agreed the the 1911 is the go to gun for sure and has been battle tested for over 100 years. If you can get the 1911, do it. no matter which 1911 you get you can put a couple hundred bucks into it and get night sights, extra mags, extended beaver tail, skeletonized trigger etc and have a great gun fo many years that will never loose its value. if you get a 1911 in .40 cal you will spend some extra cash but they are pretty rare. I think that Sig makes one. If you can get your hands on a new SR1911 get that one, they are very mice guns, very tight tolerences and lifetime warranty. Glocks do not have a lifetime warranty, they have a 1 year warranty. Ruger do, Sig does and so does S&W.
Bottom line get what feels good to you. Do not buy a gun for the name. If yiou could I would go in blind folded and pick a gun on feel, not looks.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 6:00 PM
@vector16 why not consider a 40. If u spend 500 or more on a gun?? Wow I did not know that about glocks warranty but still they do run forever....@socal44 and @db42 is the SR line one of rugers top handgun at the moment?

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 6:04 PM
@eldub1950 I did feel like I got the stink eye from the guy once I mentioned I wasn't 21 yet but hey he probably would of had a sell from me on another item(shotgun or rifle) if he would of been smarter

vector16
01-25-2013, 6:35 PM
@vector16 why not consider a 40. If u spend 500 or more on a gun?? Wow I did not know that about glocks warranty but still they do run forever....@socal44 and @db42 is the SR line one of rugers top handgun at the moment?

First off, Alot of people that own Glocks think that they do not have to clean them after they go shoot them. Mine are perfect. I clean my guns completely every time I shoot them wether it be 1 round or 500 rounds. If you want you gun to work flawlessly the next time Clean IT. The manual says to clean it every 1000 rounds. Bull S$$$$. clean it every time and you will have a great gun for a long time. This means every gun you own, set a schedule wether you fire the gun or not, clean it every, say, 30 days and also clean it when you are done shooting it. There are a few people here that have seen my guns and they are surprised that they even have 1 round ever fired from them. I had 30K rounds from one of my Sigmas and it looked like it had never been fired at all, no barrel wear, breech wear etc, spotless everytime. The guy that bought one was very happy that he bought from me and not another that did not take as good care of their guns.

The reason why I will not spen real cash on a .40 is because the 40 cal round does not perform well. It does not have the distance of a 9mm and does not have the power of a .45. Really does not have the distance or the power of a .357. Th eSigma that I sold was a .40. Great gun, loved it. If I did not need the cash so damn bad ther would be no way in h3ll i would have sold it. Got the gun for under $400 OTD. The price on the 40 ammo is quite a bit more than the 9mm and is most cases is also more than the .45. The performance of the .40 cal pistols is left with some desire. If I can have one for under $500 than okay maybe. I would for sure buy another Sigma. I know exactly what needs to be done to make it a great gun. I can make the gun have a 4lb trigger and be smoother than any gun on the market.

If you get the Sigma which I do reccomend, shoot me a PM and we can arrange to get together and I'll hepl you out with the trigger and maybe stippling the grip. Below is my old one that I just sold.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 6:57 PM
@vector16 thanks I appreciate the offer if I get the sigma ill PM you.. Do u think for a first handgun it would be smarter to get used to a heavier trigger pull then a lighter one?

db42
01-25-2013, 7:02 PM

The SR9 was designed to compete directly with the Glock's 19 and 17, and it is perfectly capable of doing so. The SR line is Ruger's best and brightest - with the SR45 having just been released at shot show.

Glock has an excellent warranty and so does Ruger.
If there's anything wrong with your gun Ruger will either fix it or replace it, for free. I only know a few people who've had to send them in for servicing, and all of them got free Ruger swag when the gun was returned.

BTW, avoid the 40cals. The use of the 40 was a bureaucratic decision, not a functional one.

@vector16 thanks I appreciate the offer if I get the sigma ill PM you.. Do u think for a first handgun it would be smarter to get used to a heavier trigger pull then a lighter one?

Heavier trigger pull means that you're more likely to make a mistake before you've fired. The more movement, the more chances for error.

vector16
01-25-2013, 7:14 PM
I think it would be to your advantage to have a gun that would teach you trigger control. That may come with a heavy pull or a longer pull. If you get a gun like an SR40 that has a pretty decent pull on it already you will be spoiled and not ever learn anything about trigger control or how to do your own smithing on a gun.
My wife is a real decent shot with her GP100 .357 with DA trigger. She id not a good shot with my G21 or my G17. her groups get wider if she uses her trigger in SA. I could out shoot anyone with a glock with my Sigma 40 any day of the week. with the lighter trigger I do not pay attention as much to the what is happening at muzzel. When you pull the trigger on any pistol, if you are right handed the muzzel is going to move down and to the left. That is super apperent when you are using a heavy or long trigger pull. If you are able to control that with a heavy pull than it is much easier woth a light pull. You just need to remember to pay attention to WTF you are doing. The thing about the Sigma is that it can really take a beating and still function even if you "limp wrist" it the gun will still fire and not jam up.

I think it may be better to start off with a heavier pull, so yes in answer to you question. If you start off with the heavy pull everything else will be lighter and easier for you to operate in the long term.

db42
01-25-2013, 7:56 PM
I think it would be to your advantage to have a gun that would teach you trigger control. That may come with a heavy pull or a longer pull. If you get a gun like an SR40 that has a pretty decent pull on it already you will be spoiled and not ever learn anything about trigger control or how to do your own smithing on a gun.

Or you could have a gun with a lighter trigger pull, so it will be accurate when you need it to save your life.

spetsnaz
01-25-2013, 7:58 PM
out of those i would get the glock first, ruger second, and sw last

vector16
01-25-2013, 8:31 PM
Out of all that were mentioned in this thread, I would do the them in this order because I have all of them. the second list is more prbable given the situation we are in today

p95
sw40ve
XD 40
glock 17
sr40 if it was on the roster
sr9
glock 22 or 23

sigma sw40ve
XD

Glocks are ver hard to come by right now and so are Rugers. Most of the dealers in SO. CAL get the guns from Davidson Fireams. most of us know them better as http://www.galleryofguns.com and if you are looking for something go to them first. Call turners and see what they have.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 8:35 PM
@vector16 that is a good point..@spetsnaz I would get them all if I had the money to spend all at once

FMFdevildoc
01-25-2013, 8:36 PM
Hey vector - that was a general remark, as we know, some folks LOVE Glocks and there is a small contingent of haters out there.

And yes - that is what I meant - if a mouth breathing, nearly clinically retarded Iraqi Police boot couldn't kill a Glock, that is a damn tough weapon IMO.

I didn't see them all too often, yet the few time I did, those jokers were busy trying to scam Valium or morphine from me... When they weren't busy engaging in rampant corruption, arbitrary tribal-based "law enforcement" and negligent discharges, dereliction of duty, accepting bribes - etc LOL

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 8:37 PM
@vector16 so anything that gallery of guns has in stock shouldn't be much of a prob for turners to get then ?

vector16
01-25-2013, 8:48 PM
@vector16 that is a good point..@spetsnaz I would get them all if I had the money to spend all at once

We would all get them all if we could scrape up the money to make the purchase. It would be nice if we could go to AZ, have our DROS done and walk out the store with all of them. That is the joy of not living here, no waiting period ansd you can buy as many as you want at one time vs this lame law of one every 30 days

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 8:59 PM
@vector16 aint that the truth, don't forget every 30 days plus 10 more days , prices are cheaper out there to aren't they

vector16
01-25-2013, 9:35 PM
No its just every 30 days. They can only enter your name in the DOJ website for a HG every 30 days. The background check is done before you pay typically. then its just 864,000 second wating period.

No the guns are not cheaper from state to state. The price difference is in what you pay in taxes. Take TX for instance or NV there is no state tax so, her if you buy a $1K gun you will pay $90 in tax and there its just $1K. The DROS is pretty much the same nation wide also. Its jus there you pay per visit and here you pay per serial number. They do not register your guns in other states or at least most other states.

Just curious why you want to be an armed security guard? You have taken most of the classes whay don't you take the additional 2 and become a range officer or private security where there is some money to be made. Better yet if the law enforcment is your thing give the coast guard a try, fish and game is always looking for people and so is the forest service. If you do the CG, they are law enforcement and you would be a sheo in for the Police force or one of the other Fedral LE agencies.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 9:51 PM
Ive

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 10:01 PM
I've thought about it but don't want to get to much ahead this is what u could call a introduction into it I'm hoping to get the needed experience being a armed security and then apply for a armor truck job I really want to get some experience first then really open up my network into maybe joining CHP

vector16
01-25-2013, 10:08 PM
I've thought about it but don't want to get to much ahead this is what u could call a introduction into it I'm hoping to get the needed experience being a armed security and then apply for a armor truck job I really want to get some experience first then really open up my network into maybe joining CHP

Just letting you know that its almost impossible to get on the force without lititary training. That would be your best option of all of the above if you ask me or any of the LEO's on this site. I think they all have been in the militray at one point or another. I said the CG because the do and are a part of law enforcement.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-25-2013, 10:41 PM
@vector16 I get you I would also need some time to get myself in shape before I would think of applying to any it's been a while since high school and gained a lil weight ha ha

vector16
01-26-2013, 10:36 AM
it's been a while since high school and gained a lil weight

WOW! 3 years. I graduated when you were were being born. Then I went from the graduation to recruiter, 1 week later I was in Ft. Knox, KY gettin my butt kicked in basic.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-26-2013, 8:49 PM
I know it don't seem much but after high school 2 weeks after graduation I started working in warehouses as a forklift driver and well as a forklift driver a person never really moves around much.. Dang man much respect for that, I have 3 friends of mine in listed In the is army I respect them alot for that .. One is stationed out in El Paso the other is in North Carolina finishing up .. The reason why I respect guys like you and my friends is for the sacrifices you guys make, going along time without seeing family but 1 or 2 a year.

vector16
01-26-2013, 9:13 PM
The reason why I respect guys like you and my friends is for the sacrifices you guys make, going along time without seeing family but 1 or 2 a year.

I was never deployed. I went in just after Desert Storm and was stationed at Ft. Kmox the same place I did my basic. It kind of sucked. At the time there was only 3 major Armor bases. One in Germany, Maine and KY. I got KY. You don't really miss family a whole lot. You miss the hot little POA you left at home. When you get to see her for the first time after basic, you damn near kill her. You aree in such good shape, You just Nail her till she can't take anymore and then do it 50 more times. Pardon my explanation to any women that read this.

You are able to see you family when you go on leave. Being a big boy though its not that big of a deal. you have othetr concerns that keep you plenty occupied. If you go the police academy its almost the same, they will put you into the best shape of your life.

I have just started looking at a couple of 1911s. I am really interested in the Kimber Custom II with the internal extractor, a Sig Sauer and possibly a Smith and Wesson. It skind of a tie between the Sig and the Kimber. They are both very high quality 1911s, more so than the Springfield or the S&W. I'll hope they have something available when I am ready to buy in a month.

SO.CALISHOOTER
01-27-2013, 12:48 AM
@Vector16Whether you were deployed or not got to give you your props for joining ha ha ha must of been locked in a room for a week with your lady.. Just from looks the kimber looks a little more appealing just my opinion I feel you I have about 2 months before I turn 21 to chose put if I'm not really sure yet ill still be waiting more but I do like why u said on one of your earlier post go in blind folded and see witch one fits me better ha ha but it's the truth it's what it comes down to witch feels better in my hand

vector16
01-27-2013, 9:04 AM
@Vector16Whether you were deployed or not got to give you your props for joining ha ha ha must of been locked in a room for a week with your lady.. Just from looks the kimber looks a little more appealing just my opinion I feel you I have about 2 months before I turn 21 to chose put if I'm not really sure yet ill still be waiting more but I do like why u said on one of your earlier post go in blind folded and see witch one fits me better ha ha but it's the truth it's what it comes down to witch feels better in my hand

They reason why I said that is becuase it is your first gun. If you buy a gun for looks or for the name, it may just turn you off to the whole thing. I have been aroiund the block a time or two. I have handled and shot more guns than most people will do in a lifetime. The 1911 is a special occasion where you do by the gun for its looks and not for the feel of the gun. there are so many manf'rs that make the icon and they are all almost indentical. You can buy parts for a 1911 and they will fit on any of them. the main variable on most 1911s is the front of the grip for the traction and the extractor, internal or extrenal. There is a debate on which is better. The Kimber had an external for the longe\st time and they had problems with it the have switched back to the internal extactor. While S&W and Springfield both use the external extractor and swear by it. They have never had a problem with them. There are only a couple of companies that make a 1911 frame and they sell them to the other manf'rs to use. These companies are Colt, S&W and Browning I think. They are the same companies that make the AR lower. There are so make things that make up how a 1911 looks and not to many how it feels. You can buy one and make it liik almost identiacl to the other with not much effort at all.

Jetz
01-30-2013, 6:42 PM
I'd say go with an SR40 SR9 or Glock

I'm picking up my SR40 tomorrow

I've shot the SR9 SR40 Glock 22 17 and 19

I like them all but there was something about the sr40 that felt better than all the rest

vector16
01-30-2013, 7:23 PM
I'd say go with an SR40 SR9 or Glock

I'm picking up my SR40 tomorrow

I've shot the SR9 SR40 Glock 22 17 and 19

I like them all but there was something about the sr40 that felt better than all the rest

Was it the price?

SO.CALISHOOTER
02-09-2013, 6:35 PM
Don't mean to bother but been looking around forums over the sigma and read a couple different post by people saying the sigma was discontinued and others saying it was replaced by the SD's????

vector16
02-09-2013, 7:05 PM
It does appear that the Sigma is no more. I am sure some dealer still carry it but sites like http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=sw40ve&osCsid=d4bdf9gs65d56r6urf735e5cj6 are all out. The SD is basically the same pistol as the Sigma except for it has a better trigger (8 lbs) and a different slide and standard rail. Its $379 on the S&W web site so you should be able to pick one up at tuners for $329 to $350. Its the same gun. I would have to look at the sear assembly to tell you if I could make the trigger even lighter.

SO.CALISHOOTER
02-09-2013, 7:19 PM
Thanks I appreciate I was looking forward to a sigma.. Iam subscribed to turners mailing list and I have yet to see a SD on one of there weekly ads

vector16
02-09-2013, 7:53 PM
Thanks I appreciate I was looking forward to a sigma.. Iam subscribed to turners mailing list and I have yet to see a SD on one of there weekly ads

Any kind of gun is going to be hard to come by at this point. You need to go into turners and ask them if you can put down a deposit and see how long it will take until they can get one in. Typically its 2-8 weeks and by that time semi autos will be illegal to have in the state.
I have seen them on the ads but its been almost a year.

SO.CALISHOOTER
02-09-2013, 8:00 PM
Semi-autos illegal?? Is that on Frankenstein's bill ?? I will probably just end up getting a ruger p95 my number 2 choice

vector16
02-09-2013, 8:52 PM
No that is not DiFi's bill. That is courtesy ofhttp://sd06.senate.ca.gov/ the CA state (D) senators. Check it out, its most disturbing.

What ever you are going to get I would just go get it ASAP before this crap takes effect.

SO.CALISHOOTER
02-09-2013, 9:33 PM
Damn that's just crapping all over are 2nd amendment rights .. What's next looking at a firearm

vector16
02-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Yes. and as I said just go get something before the Dems have their way. At least you will get something. I am probably going to get an Armscore 1911 because the rest of them will only be able to be ordered and may take 8 weeks to get in. The Armscore 1911s are available not for $400 +/-

05flynt
02-09-2013, 11:48 PM
I have a p95 and have no complaints so far. One of the best value buys out there.

North Bay Guy
02-10-2013, 12:21 AM
Buy the Glock 22. Then when you have the money buy a 9mm barrel and some Glock 17 mags. Or you could go with a .357sig barrel and you can use the your original Glock 22 mags to fire .357sig. It's easy to swap out barrels, it only takes a few seconds, anyone can do it. It's all about having options especially when ammo is in short supply.

vector16
02-10-2013, 11:38 AM
Just buy 1 or 2 of each glock on the market, a couple of eache model from each generation, that is what the Glock owners are going to tell you in the end anyway.

Oldmandan
02-10-2013, 2:03 PM
I have a P95, I like it. But I like my M&P and XD more...

Hard to beat the p95 for the price though. You really need to shoot as many different guns as possible first. There may be something out there you haven't considered, but will favor after shooting it.

FYI- I've shot lots of different guns, including Glocks. I don't own any Glocks. Catch my drift...

vector16
02-10-2013, 2:26 PM
FYI- I've shot lots of different guns, including Glocks. I don't own any Glocks. Catch my drift...

You don't know quality if it bit you on the *****? lol

PATROL1
02-10-2013, 9:01 PM
If you are on a budget like me (security guard also) get the p95 just stay away from .45s most company wont let you carry them...........

vector16
02-10-2013, 9:17 PM
If you are on a budget like me (security guard also) get the p95 just stay away from .45s most company wont let you carry them...........

Ya a 45 is too much, stick with the 10mm, that will get some attention, LOL

As we previously said, Go to the shop and see what they have. Based on what you've learned from this post you ought to have a pretty good idea. The SD is a good gun, so is the p95 and the SR40. The Glock 17 is a good gun too esspecailly fior a start up pistol. The rounds for it, at least when the prices go back down are the cheapest you are going to find. At Wally Wrold they are under $10 for Tula and $11 for Federal. Buying rounds for anything now is going to be twice what they were 2 months ago. 9mm, .40 and 45 are very haed to come by atr the moment. a .380 is something that you can buy rounds for because people generally stay away from the because they are expensive to shoot and they really don't have the stopping power of the other cals. even the 22,25,32s are difficult to find at this moment in time. I would justy go see what they have or on the Clssifieds on this forum or on other forums. You may have better luck with a variety with used guns, you just won't have the warranty unless you buy a Hi-Point.

762ch
02-10-2013, 9:39 PM
I dont have any experience with the sigma, I have a P95, and I don't like Glock ergonomics.

Ive had my P95 for a few years, its been great. It eats any ammo I feed it and is solid as a rock. The only time I had an issue with my ruger was new out of the box. I tried firing new right out of the box and it was a little too greasy, it would stove pipe every few rounds. After the 1st cleaning it has functioned flawlessly.

One thing about the ruger is the de cocker, I liked to carry it with a round in the chamber but the hammer down.

Right now my favorite handgun is my M&P 45, I put a fiber optic front sight on it and its a blast to shoot.

My advice to you is to save up a little more and get the gun you want + extra mags/ammo and a handgun safe.

SO.CALISHOOTER
02-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys

vector16
02-11-2013, 7:52 AM
Why do you need a handgun safe?

Steve_In_29
02-22-2013, 12:20 PM
The three people I know that bought Sigmas sold them off as soon as they could and spent a little more money on their next guns.

Sigmas function fine and will go boom every time the trigger is pulled but....oooooh what a trigger pull it is.

I handled all three guns and they all had pretty horrendous triggers.