PDA

View Full Version : Deer Hunting in California

fusionstar
09-10-2007, 5:26 PM
I just came home after scouting places to hunt. Seen 2 decent bucks, not monsters but will fill the freezer with good meat for the winter. Seen lots of squirrels which will open in a few days. The question I have is, Could I use my ar-15 20"bbl for deer hunting? I would never have a chance to take a shot over 100 yards because the woods are so thick so the bulk of my shots are within 75 yards. I understand somewhere that it is unethical to shoot a round with less than 1000 foot pounds at a 200-300lb bucks vitals. Seeing as how I can push a 75gr Hornady TAP within a half dollar at 100 yards with iron sights. I know this or any expanding SP bullets will drop it but is it legal to use such a small caliber? I would buy a bolt action in 308 for deer to elk but it is not possible for me at this time. If not, I will use my fathers good o' m1 in 30-06.

big jon
09-10-2007, 5:35 PM
You should be fine, If I rember right Cal is center firer only.

jaymz
09-10-2007, 8:07 PM
California (believe it or not) has no requirements (other than it must be centerfire)for rifle caliber for taking deer. By the way, where in the heck are you seeing 200-300lb bucks in California?!?!

metalhead357
09-10-2007, 9:42 PM
JUST had a thread on 223/5.56 and deer.

CAN you use it...yes....:cool:
SHOULD you use it...... Debateable at BEST...

Go with summin' bigger.

And YES, please DO tell where yer' seeing 200-300 lb deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

edwardm
09-11-2007, 6:30 AM
Depends on the species. I'm used to 150-160lb blacktails, nothing that would qualify for Boone and Crockett. But if he's someplace seeing Mule deer, then he could easily be seeing animals in the 200-230 class (I don't know about up to 300 in California, in less he mistook boar tusks for antlers. ;) ). There are some good spots in the Eastern Sierra (G zone) for good size Mule deer bucks.

Either way, they all taste good on the grill. :)

JUST had a thread on 223/5.56 and deer.

CAN you use it...yes....:cool:
SHOULD you use it...... Debateable at BEST...

Go with summin' bigger.

And YES, please DO tell where yer' seeing 200-300 lb deer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big jon
09-11-2007, 6:44 AM
Depends on the species. I'm used to 150-160lb blacktails, nothing that would qualify for Boone and Crockett. But if he's someplace seeing Mule deer, then he could easily be seeing animals in the 200-230 class (I don't know about up to 300 in California, in less he mistook boar tusks for antlers. ;) ). There are some good spots in the Eastern Sierra (G zone) for good size Mule deer bucks.

I`ve gotten a couple good Bucks 4x4`s behind my house and they were both under 100 pounds they just aint to big up here.
223 should do just fine in Cal, I took a Mule Deer in Utah that was so thick my 28in Winchester in 30/30 didn`t go all the way thru and I shot it at 30 yards, hit both lungs and stoped just under the hide the other side.

fusionstar
09-11-2007, 1:03 PM
I see plenty of black tails up to 175lbs assuming those are the smaller ones..
Man... Have I been hunting trophy's all this time without knowing?

I hunt primarily on Public Land but Occasionally on private land when available.
I mean the bucks I seen are bigger than me, and Im 215lbs 6'.. This tough posterior hinders what I see inside of me... which is apparently a little school girl.

metalhead357
09-11-2007, 4:43 PM

Amen to that...save the best my friends and have been doing in B zone is maybe 150 DEAD weight...with what? 120-125 lbs gutted. But yes...them Mule are bigger:D but I aint drawn an X zone in now 7 years:mad: